A Prayer for A Friend

Situation is desperate, please pray

Share your prayer requests here.
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

A Prayer for A Friend

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Hello everyone, most of you probably don't know me, but I used to go to these forums a few years ago. Real life has pulled me from this place (I'm just starting college, which is pretty crazy), but I came back here to post this because my friend REALLY needs prayer right now. :pray:

It's a long story, but I'll make it short. I have this friend (lets call her 'W') who is Muslim, so she doesn't know Jesus as her personal Savior. She went to my high school, and she and I were friends for about a year. Well, it turns out that she was being (for the lack of a better term) 'abused' at home. One day the situation got really bad so she tried to run away. Social Services became involved, and my best friend and I also ended up involved (she directly, I indirectly). Had things remained this way I have no doubt that 'W' would still be here, and that she would have been much happier than she is now. Unfortunately Social Services deemed that the situation was 'stable' at home (something I personally still feel bitter about) and they sent her back to live with her parents.

Things were fine for about three weeks, and the last time I saw her was when school let out for this summer. However, several weeks later she and her family left for a vacation in her homeland (Libya). When I found out about this I felt a pit of dread growing in my stomach because I knew nothing good could come out of this. Sure enough, it turns out the family was using the vacation as a way to get 'W' out of the country where my friends and I couldn't help her anymore. I found out from my best friend (who was able to get ahold on 'W' on the phone before 'W' left) that her father (the same man who initiated the abuse) found a job working in Dubai, and that he was taking 'W' to live with him. Her mother and siblings would return to Canada, and he would commute. I wasn't able to get a hold on 'W' for almost two months, but a few days ago thanks to prayer I finally heard from her. She is still stuck in Libya and she's ok, but she is VERY depressed right now. I don't know if the abuse has started up again.

My prayer request is threefold: That she comes to know Jesus Christ as her personal savior, that God will lift the depression, and that she gets out of that horrible situation and to a country where she can be truly free. I myself have decided to pray for her every single day until these things happen. My God is a God of miracles; I've already been able to contact her again because of prayer, so I have no doubt that if it is His Will that all of this will come to pass. Please pray for her. :pray:
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It's nice to see you back, Haystack, even if it is for such a serious reason. :) I will be praying for your friend. You're right that just the fact that you were able to get in contact with her was God's hand at work, and I hope that you'll keep us updated!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

What a tough situation. :( The three things you mentioned are all vital. I will pray for your friend.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I will be praying for your friend.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Wow, when I read these things, I realize just how dumb my problems are. I will be praying.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

No problem is dumb, ric. Not to God.

praying
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Update: I heard from my friend a few days ago. She's doing somewhat better, and as far as I can tell the depression is starting to ebb (PRAISE GOD! :D). Thank you all so much from your prayers, I really appreciate it.

When two or three are gathered in His name...
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

:pray:
I will be in prayer for her. :D
*insert provocative quote here*
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

PRAISE GOD ALMIGHTY! :D :D :D

SHE'S COMING HOOOOOOOOOOOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am having a hard time not to cry out of sheer joy here in the college computer lab. 'W' is coming back to Canada. She is still alive and well. The abuse has not started up again. I don't know how long she will be back, but I am overjoyed that God has answered my prayer. It's a miracle! MY GOD IS A GOD WHO ANSWERS PRAYER!!!! :'D
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Praise the LORD! I'm so glad to hear she's coming back! :D
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That's wonderful news, Haystack! Thanks for letting us know! That definitely is something to thank God for. :D
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

Yay!!! I will still pray for 'W'.
~Mark Prescott~
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

That's great! \:D/
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

:shock: OH. MY. WORD.

Ok, I think I need to give you guys a bit of an update. 'W' was up here for about a month, in which her Dad pretty much forbade her to see anyone but her own ethnicity (that alone should have set off warning bells in my head), so that combined with college prevented me from getting to see her. :( They had put her into an online school system (ironically, the same system I was in for two years), and were going to try homeschooling. That was about a month ago.

Well, I just got an e-mail from her today. Her parents were going to take her back to Libya, but they stopped in Calgary (to see relatives I think, though I don't have any confirmation about that yet). I'm not sure what happened just yet, but 'W' told me that she is currently staying at her friend's house and her Dad was giving orders not to let 'W' go to school or go outside the house. Right now she has a restraining order on her father (not entirely sure why, but judging from what happened last spring I can take a guess :x ). In any case, the fact that 'W' is currently not being allowed any education was probably what finally bit her Dad in the fanny, because now she is going to court against her Dad in about a week.

:pray: Please please please PLEASE pray that this court case turns in her favour. God is working here to bring her into a safer home, I'm sure of it.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I will continue to pray for her.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Craziness. I'll be praying. :)