I'm calling a suicidal kid tomorrow.

Share your prayer requests here.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
I'm calling a suicidal kid tomorrow.

Post by American Eagle »

Alright, so... last night, an older lady at church came up to me and asked if I'd call and talk to her grandson. He tried to commit suicide the other day, and now he's in the hospital. I think he's being released today. Tomorrow, I'm going to call him. I don't really know him (he may have come to our church once :-k), but based on his Facebook, he looks like a totally normal 17-year-old kid.

I'm going to invite him to come to our church's winter camp trip. I'm going to it, and his grandma thinks it would be a good opportunity for him to get around godly people and perhaps come to Christ? I also want to make sure he never attempts suicide again...

I'm planning to just be myself and natural, you know... sound like a friend. But if anyone has advice as to what to say/how to handle the conversation, feel free to let me know. :) Prayers appreciated! I plan to call at like 4:15pm.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

That's really cool of you to do... I admit I'd really hate the idea of doing a cold call like that. Keep us updated!
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

I'll be praying for you AE. :yes:
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

That's awesome AE, I've had some experiences with suicide or near suicide, and I think talking to other kids your age is really helpful. I'll pray for you.

Edit: in reading over my post I think I should clarify, I personally haven't had experiences with near suicide, people I know actually.
God's Daughter
Not Implemented

Post by God's Daughter »

Wow, I will definitely be praying! :)
Image]
My Online Family! \:D/
Sky, is my twin. ^_^
Lee, is my cousin.
I'm KF's awesome sister and he's my equally awesome brother!
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

I'll be praying tomorrow, from the experience of knowing someone who succeeded in the act, just being able to talk to someone who cares might help, though it may take more then one phone call, just be friendly and don't try to force anything upon him, just try to get him to warm up to you if you've never met and invite him to you're church's winter trip, does he know you're calling?
Last edited by Graces4you on Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Graces4you wrote:does he know you're calling?
As far as I know, he doesn't know I'm calling.

Thanks, Top, for the phrase "cold calling". I might be like, "I know I'm cold calling out of the blue...", to get the awkwardness of starting the conversation out of the way. \:D/

Thanks for the prayers, guys! I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Ooh, I understand :/ Will be praying, JJ!
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

American Eagle wrote:
Thanks, Top, for the phrase "cold calling". I might be like, "I know I'm cold calling out of the blue...", to get the awkwardness of starting the conversation out of the way. \:D/
That may be the hardest part, once you get that out of the way, it should be more smooth. Although it depends on the guys personality I suppose. I look forward to hearing how it goes!
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I will be pray for you and the teen also
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Mmm, sometimes talking with someone after you've had suicidal thoughts can be hard. Personal experience. :( Just take it slow, just to know someone is THERE and cares is one of the most precious feelings in the world!!

Prayers!
Last edited by The Kings Daughter on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I will be praying, AE.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I don't know if you will see this before you make the call, and I'm probably stating the obvious: I suggest not directly talking about his suicide attempt, if he wants to talk about it, he will.

Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

31899 wrote:I don't know if you will see this before you make the call, and I'm probably stating the obvious: I suggest not directly talking about his suicide attempt, if he wants to talk about it, he will.

joke wrote:Hey, what's up? I heard you tried to commit suicide. Did you succeed?
Heh, somehow, I don't think that'll work out well.

Hope it goes well, AE.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Ahh, all that anticipation and nervous build-up for a 2-minute conversation. :- It wasn't what I expected. The kid was incredibly quiet and didn't say much. I told him who I was and how I knew him, and invited him to come to our camp. (31899, I didn't mention his problems at all... ;)) He asked what it was about (perfect question! I was able to mention hockey and volleyball), and he sounded interested. He said he had a friend he wanted to bring, and that he'd talk to his grandma about it. I ALMOST said something really stupid at the end that would've made me sound like such a stalker, but thankfully, I stopped myself. "Oh... nevermind." :oops:

Oh, and I was like, "I think your grandma might've mentioned this camp to you, but if my grandma told me about a camp or something, I wouldn't want to go." It made him chuckle. \:D/ I ended with something like, "...awesome! Hey, maybe I'll see you next week. Bye."

Thanks for all the prayers. I really hope he comes!

I only used the word "like" three times. *gives self high five*

Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

American Eagle wrote:I only used the word "like" three times. *gives self high five*
*gives AE high five*

Sounds like it went really well! I'll keep praying that God will work in the kid's heart.
God's Daughter
Not Implemented

Post by God's Daughter »

I just want to say: YOU ROCK! And that I will be praying that he comes, that would be great for him!
Image]
My Online Family! \:D/
Sky, is my twin. ^_^
Lee, is my cousin.
I'm KF's awesome sister and he's my equally awesome brother!
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Sounds like it went well :) I'll keep praying for him.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Saying I'm so proud you're my brother in Christ would sound lame. That's why I just said it, and hope that somehow admitting it sounds lame will help minimize the lameness. \:D/

Glad it went well. =)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Wow, that would be tough, but that's great that you did it. Sounds like you handled it well and he was fairly receptive to it, thank God! Even if he doesn't come to the camp, maybe you can just get him involved with some other activities even. :) Keep us updated, I will be praying for you both!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)