Rather urgent prayer request...

Share your prayer requests here.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Rather urgent prayer request...

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

As some of you might know, I've been sick for the past few days. Only yesterday afternoon I came to the conclusion that I was actually, genuinely sick, instead of just miserable from allergies. My mom, of course, does not believe that it could possibly be anything other than allergies, so she made me take allergy medicine and ordered me to go lie down and go to sleep and stop bothering everyone else.

It wouldn't be so bad if she had given me Benadryl-- at least that way I could actually obey her and sleep. But she gave me this 'non-drowsy' allergy medication that is keeping me wide awake. :-( But the real problem is that about ten minutes ago (a half-hour after she made me take it), my chest started hurting. It's just a dull pain that kind of runs up my sternum and ribs, and it could well be from the stress of not having anyone believe me when I say I'm sick, but I would really appreciate prayer nonetheless. My mom's at work right now and won't get off for like five hours, so if this stupid drug is messing with my heart somehow, I'm out of luck.

So if I don't post again within the next week or two... you'll know why.
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

Oh my! :( I'll be praying for you, I hope you feel better. I'm sure it's orkie. :)
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Me too, but I've just been so sick lately... I don't know... I can't even think clearly, and I'm tired but this stupid allergy medicine is keeping awake. I wish people would just listen to me and believe me and say, "Wow, it's her body! She probably knows when she's sick. And what's more, she's probably right when she says she wants a certain kind of medicine. Maybe I should follow her wishes." Grrh...
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

I'm praying.

Have you taken your temperature? That would provide "proof" thay you're actually sick, if you have a fever. :)

Jeremy
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Apparently a fever is 'a common allergic reaction'. :-s I was too out of it to take it when I felt really miserable, but when I felt 'normal' again, it was 100.6. So I can only imagine how high it was when I was sick.

If the fact that allergy medication does absolutely nothing for me but to make me sicker isn't proof enough, I don't know what is. Certainly not all my other symptoms...
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

According to her, she used to have really bad allergies and get a fever all the time when she was younger. [sigh] Anyways, she's giving up her precious vacation to the beach with my brothers to take me to the doctor on Monday, because I'm 'so convinced it's not allergies'. :-( I feel really bad about it, but I'm also relieved because even if it's not strep throat (like I'm pretty sure it is), it's always better to be safe than sorry. And rheumatic fever is just not something to be messed with. (If you'll recall from 'Recollections', Whit's wife, Jenny, died of Rheumatic fever).

I still hope it IS strep, though, because I know my mom is going to be furious with me if it turns out just to be allergies. :-(

Oh, and the chest pains went away after I took some Benadryl. I was also coughing really hard until the Benadryl kicked in, so I'm wondering if I had some sort of allergic reaction to the allergy medicine. :-s Stranger things have happened, I suppose. Thanks for all of your prayers.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Praying. :pray:
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Update: I went to the doctor today, and not only did I have a really nice experience (it was the first time I'd been to our new pediatrician's office), my mom was a lot nicer about missing out on her trip to the beach today than she was yesterday or Saturday (I think because she realized that it was storming at the beach yesterday). She said she wanted to make sure I was okay and she was worried about me and stuff, which was nice.

They did the strep culture and it came out negative, which was good on the one hand because it meant I probably wasn't too contagious and that I didn't have to get another shot that would clump under my skin for a week and a half after I got it. But she also said that it couldn't be JUST allergies because allergies do not cause a fever.

So she finally concluded that it must be a virus combined with my normal allergies and that we should let the virus run its course (since you can't take antibiotics to treat a virus). She told me to drink lots of liquids and try Claritin (since I had such a miserable experience with Alavert and Benadryl makes me so sleepy) if the allergies kept bugging me.

So my mom and I both won, even though we were both wrong-- she's on her way to the beach, and I'm resting in the comfortable atmosphere of my grandmother's house. And we're not mad at each other anymore. :-)
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I'm glad you're doing better, Rachael. I'll pray that you completely recover.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Thanks for the update.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Rachael wrote:So my mom and I both won, even though we were both wrong-- she's on her way to the beach, and I'm resting in the comfortable atmosphere of my grandmother's house. And we're not mad at each other anymore. :-)
I'm glad to hear you're doing better, and that things worked out quite well for you and your mother. :)
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.