[ 1 post ] 
 Post Post subject: Devotions - Friday, June 15th, 2007
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:03 am 
Catspaw knows all

Cash: 0.00
Reading: Proverbs 13, Proverbs 14, Proverbs 15; Acts 2:1-21

Good morning Church,

When the Holy Spirit moves things change. We are not talking “butterflies-in-the-tummy” changes but real, life changing changes. It must have looked strange to everyone who witnessed the birth of the Church that day as the “fire” came down, as promised by Jesus. But just how strange was it?

The comment by those who were witnesses could be summed up in a sentence, or should I say a question:

"What does this mean?" (Acts 2:12)

What was the most amazing thing of this spectacle ? Perhaps it was the fact that these “Galileans” were all speaking the languages of those who were witnessing the event. After all, Galileans were not known for their centres of higher education. How was it that they were speaking so many languages or at least a language that could be understood by everyone? Most onlookers were simply amazed.

Of course there were some who defied any logic to excuse this fact away. You find them in any bunch. They are the ones who sink to insults when they are unable to use their intellect to make their point. They are the ones who come up with the lamest excuses to explain away something they cannot accept:

Some, however, made fun of them and said, "They have had too much wine." (Acts 2:13)

Hmmmm. I don’t know about you but the last time I spoke to a drunk I did not find that his intoxicated state of mind had actually helped his linguistic skills at all. It was a rather illogical conclusion they had made. It is the same problem that we find with many of the reactions to Christian fundamentals.

There are two main theories to the origins of creation. We have the theory of the “big bang” and the theory of creationism. Yet, many people are beginning to recognize the “order” that exists in the universe, big and small, but are not willing to say who is responsible for that order. There is also the whole evolution argument that some still hold on to even though it has been disproved scientifically over and over again. In fact, I disproved it to my science teacher in grade 9 based on the scientific method.

There is almost a “religious” spirit to popular science these days. The governments and general populace fall for popular teachings that are not based on the tenets of scientific methods but are simply hypothesis that have not been properly tested. Let’s call these the “drunk” theories. These are opposed by what we know as the truth or facts of the matter but the facts are hard for many to accept because it means that the world they know is false. That is hard for people to accept. They would rather lower their thinking and stay in their make-believe world.

Now here is the problem; in order for these people to cope they have to make us feel like we are the ones living in a make-believe world. They are like the bullies on the school ground who bully others so no one will pick on them. These people who want to live in their little world want to make us feel small, insignificant and backwards. Unfortunately it has had some affect and still does as these fantasies are taught to our children in the public class rooms.

We may not go around speaking other languages but we do live in a different world than the others. We are not known as Galileans but in some people’s eyes Christians are just as uneducated as these men were, men who went on to change the world as we know it. The early disciples were not dissuaded by the opinions of these silly people who could not see even though they were watching. We live in a world of scoffers but yet we believe. Hold on and do not allow them to rob you of that incredible treasure you have found. Do not let them discolour the wonder of our true reality. In fact, try to help them see the real colours of our world instead of the diluted colours of their imagination. Do not be afraid of them, feel bad for them.

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 1 post ]