Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:54 am 
Catspaw knows all

Cash: 0.00
Bible Reading: Romans 15

Good morning my friends,

To be honest I do not know if I can do this but I must. Even if I only
manage to write a few lines I know I must do this. I have been out of step
with the Spirit for a while and I know this is part of what I must do to
stay in step. I offer it for what ever worth the Spirit can multiply in it.

Power! Is that not what we want to see in the Church? I know I do. Jesus
promised that his followers would do even greater things than he did. He
promised that the coming of the Spirit would change everything. It did. When the Spirit fell upon the Church a great many things changed not the least of which was the giving of the power to do signs and wonders for the benefit of the unsaved. Paul writes plainly:

Therefore I glory in Christ Jesus in my service to God. I will not venture
to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me in
leading the Gentiles to obey God by what I have said and done- by the power of signs and miracles, through the power of the Spirit. (Romans 15:17-19)

Paul preached but the Holy Spirit backed up those words with a demonstration of God. It was not the signs and miracles that saved people but instead their hope in the miracle of a redeemed heart. However, the demonstration of God's power showed the legitimacy of the message.

I think most of us can agree that it has all gone terribly wrong. For some
reason we have accepted throughout the ages the lies that God does not
operate like that any more. If this were true it would mean that his promises change yet God says his promises do not change. That means either he is a liar or those who teach such things are liars. Who do you think we should trust? Then what is wrong? I think Paul gives us some clues just in this chapter alone:

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to
please ourselves. Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to
build him up. (Romans 15:1-2)

May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Romans 15:5-6)

Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring
praise to God. (Romans 15:7)

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)

We are all messed up in our walk. We do not walk in the light of God. We
have allowed ourselves to become polluted by the darkness perpetuated by the evil one. We may not do evil (Then again we might) but we watch it, we listen to it, we drink it in. Instead of keeping our thoughts fixed on the pure and holy things we compromise with the darkness, often to entertain ourselves. I wonder what would begin to happen if we were to turn off the TV and the talk radio? I wonder what would happen after a week, a month, a year? I wonder what would happen if we occupied ourselves with the work of the Kingdom instead of our own work? I wonder if it would make any difference?

Maybe, maybe not. It would depend on what we do with our thoughts and our hearts. Jesus warned about chasing out a demon, cleaning up ourselves and then allowing him to return with friends. All I know is that he has intended us for more than this. He has intended us to live powerfully transformed lives, under the constant care and nurture of the Holy Spirit. This is not going to happen as long as we think darkness can exist with the light.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so
that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:14 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,099.97
Bank: 1,958.31
It's good to see the devotions back - thanks, blipadouzi! :D

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 2 posts ]