[ 1 post ] 
 Post Post subject: Devotions - Tuesday, November 13th, 2007
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:40 pm 
Catspaw knows all

Cash: 0.00
Bible Reading: Hebrews 6

Good morning my friends,

I find myself again this morning having a number of things jumping out of the text at me. The writer continues his discourse on the need for growth into maturity. He says that we should not be laying the foundation again and again but moving on to the rest of the “house”. I find it noteworthy what is considered to be foundational stuff:

“repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God, instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.” (Hebrews 6:1-2)

In two thousand years we have not made much progress. Then again, perhaps we did and we are only slipping back into foundational stuff now. How many churches actually believe and practice the “laying on of hands”? Where are we in our understanding of faith? What about the whole resurrection thing? “Elementary truths of Christ” is how he described it. Are we learning our lessons and pressing on for more?

In a previous chapter we had considered the point that it does not count if we do not go all the way with it. You can’t win a race by running part of it. Stopping 100 m before the finish line means we never finish. We have to go to the end of it. So we read:

“We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure. We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.” (Hebrews 6:11-12)

Lazy is a word that would fit most of us. We are spiritually lazy using a desire not to be religious as an excuse. Fifteen years ago I knew a 72 year old lady who could never be called lazy. As much as she was not in a pastor’s position she was the town’s pastor. She was diligent in her practical Christianity. She loved Jesus more than anyone in her life and she showed it by her care for the people of that town. She visited the sick and shut in, the nursing homes, the hospitals, attended funerals and any where else that people needed compassion and love. She was not gushy but she had a heart overflowing with the love of Christ. On days she was tired she still went out. On days she was sick she still went out. In moments of discouragement she pressed on. As far as I know, she is still pressing on, desiring to be diligent to the end. That is not religious. She does not have a religious bone in her body. That is faithfulness to her Lord and her calling.

The last point from this text is one that is both obvious and yet neglected. Who do we turn to when we are in trouble? What is our first reaction when the storms hit? What are we like when it seems all hope is lost?

“We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.” (Hebrews 6:19)

In a world that changes in the blink of an eye, in a life that can be snuffed out in an instant, there is only one who never changes and provides us with all the security we need. Without him there is no hope. If he is not the anchor in our life, what is? What have you attached yourself too? Your ministry? Your family? Your church? Your job? Your investments? POOF! Gone in an instant. Yet, nothing can take Jesus from you. Nothing can rob you of that hope. The only way you can lose it, is to let go. So, don’t let go of it!

These things are our reality. We are in a process that leads us to maturity. We must go all the way in that process so that the work may be completed in us. During the process we need to stay faithful by anchoring ourselves only to Jesus Christ. It’s not so hard as long as Jesus is our everything.

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 1 post ]