[ 1 post ] 
 Post Post subject: Devotions - Wednesday, November 14th, 2007
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:50 am 
Catspaw knows all

Cash: 0.00
Bible Reading: Hebrews 7

Good morning my friends,

Were you ever rescued by someone as a child? Perhaps it was on the school ground as the school bully was facing you down. Perhaps you had been in an accident and had to be whisked off to the hospital. Perhaps you were trapped somewhere and emergency crews had to go to extraordinary lengths to rescue you.

As a child and as an adult I had to be rescued on many different occasions. I remember the swift action of my mother as she interceded in an emergency that had almost cost me my life.

As an adult I had to be rescued when I suddenly passed out. It took a while for my wife to come across me but when she did she interceded for me. She ran for help. When the doctor came he took quick action. When the ambulance came they took quick action. They worked on me at the hospital until they had revived me. I had many people interceding for me on that day.

As an older brother-figure (I have no real siblings...but have adopted many over the years) I knew what it was to intercede on other people’s behalf. Often I would explain situations for my mother and the child's parents concerning the younger child. I was able to help their parents understand what my spiritual sister was facing and they would be more tolerant with her. My sister has no idea how many times I interceded for her resulting in the consequences for her actions being reduced.

Most of us have either had someone intercede for us in different situations or have interceded for someone. In this then we can understand what it means to help a person when they are not in a position to help themselves. This is what Jesus does for us every day; he explains to dad why it is that we struggle, how tough it is for us, and why we need forgiveness, compassion and mercy. He is an excellent big brother:

“Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.” (Hebrews 7:25)

It is for this reason and many others that Jesus deserves our loyalty and faithfulness. It is for this and other reasons that we can agree with what we read yesterday:

“We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.” (Hebrews 6:19

We need to recognize that we are in need of rescue. We cannot help ourselves. We need the intercession of Jesus Christ. We need to feel the security of that anchor. We need Jesus, our high priest, saviour, Lord, King, and big brother.

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 1 post ]