[ 1 post ] 
 Post Post subject: Devotions - Thursday, November 15th, 2007
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:13 pm 
Catspaw knows all

Cash: 0.00
Bible Reading: Hebrews 8

Good morning my friends,

There is a reason why we have to lose the trappings of living by sight. Our sight can fool us, even mock our faith, causing us to be weaker than we need to be, filling us with fear and doubt. We think that what we perceive with our sight is guaranteed to be because it is obvious. Yet, what we see is only a shadow of the truth of God and can actually be manipulated and interpreted as we see fit or as best suits what we want.

Faith is living according to what we cannot see; living according to what has been promised to us. Faith is knowing that these promises are surer than the ground we walk on. The ground can shift, erode away, change in an instant but the promises can never change and are eternal. There is a reason we are told to live by faith and not by sight; if we ignore this than we risk failing to please God. The Word tells us plainly:

“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.” (Hebrews 11:6)

We no longer belong to those who live according to what they see, reacting to what they want, or pursuing the desires of their body. Something new and wonderful has taken place in us. We no longer follow some external covenant or set of rules and laws. We belong to a new covenant that has been written directly upon our hearts:

"The time is coming, declares the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant
with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah.
It will not be like the covenant
I made with their forefathers
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they did not remain faithful to my covenant,
and I turned away from them, declares the Lord.
This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.
For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more." (Hebrews 7:8-12)

This is who we are and who we belong to. He is our God and we are his people and he has written upon our minds and hearts. How could we ever fear the challenges and circumstances that we face? How could we ever fear man with these things written upon us? To fear anyone but our God is to deny who we are and who we belong too. No, we have been promised that we will all know him because of this new covenant that we possess with him.

So throw off those things that nag at you like a little annoying dog that nips at your heels. Move away from your dependence on your eyes. Move away from those things that would weigh you down and trust the one who has given you the promises that will last far after this world has fallen away. Live! Live by faith.

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 1 post ]