[ 8 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: Sermon #1: Preach the Gospel
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:50 pm 
Chief of Police

Cash: 362.09
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (1)
Mark 16:15 wrote:
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

I'll begin the my first Second Church sermon with a story I read. I do not know the people involved, but I recieved an email about it. This strongly illustrates what Christ can do through us when we abide by Mark 16:15.

Quote:
This is a story about an 11-year-old boy who bundled up on a Sunday afternoon and said to his father, “Okay, Dad, I’m ready.”

His father, who was a pastor, said, “Ready for what?”

“To go out like we always do and pass out tracts.”

The dad responded, “Son, it is very cold outside, and it is pouring down rain.”

The surprised son replied, “But, Dad, aren’t people still going to hell even though it is raining?”

The son convinced his father to let him go out alone. After two hours of walking in the rain, he was soaking wet. With one final tract he approached the nearest house and rang the doorbell. He rang it again and again with no response. Finally the door slowly opened and a very sad-looking woman said, “What can I do for you, son?”

With a smile he said, “Ma’am, I just want to tell you that Jesus really loves you, and I want to give you my last Gospel tract that will tell you all about Jesus and His great love.”

The following Sunday morning the pastor asked if anyone had a testimony to share. A woman stood up and said, “Last Sunday I no longer had any hope or will to live. So I went to my attic and prepared to hang myself. As I stood on a chair with a rope tied around my neck, I was about to jump, but then I heard the doorbell ringing. I thought I would wait until it stopped, but it kept on ringing. Finally, I loosened the rope and went to answer the door. I could hardly believe my eyes! The most radiant, angelic boy I had ever seen stood there telling me that Jesus loved me. I accepted the tract he offered me, read every word, and became a Christian.”

If that doesn't hit something within you, I don't know what will. The father used the excuse "it's cold and rainy" not to go, but this young boy persisted and ended up being used by God to not only save this woman's life, but to show her God's love for her. How awesome that is!

On a personal note, about two hours ago as I wrote this, God really convicted me of not doing exactly what I'm telling you all to do. It is cold and rainy out, so I haven't gone witnessing in a few weeks, even though I live nearby a busy shopping plaza. I've been making the same excuse the father made, "it's cold and raining", and God really showed me it.

So I, in the middle of writing this, got up, put on warm clothes and walked 1/2 a mile in the rain to see if I could find someone to witness to. I knew God wanted me to go. I ended up talking to a man named Bob who believed he needed to (a) prayer a Catholic prayer (as in a ritual), and (b) live a good life to get to Heaven. Of course, this is not what the Bible says about Salvation, so I was able to share Christ with him right there! He didn't, to my knowledge, get saved, but he certainly was told the Truth and I left him with a tract. Praise the Lord!

Next time you think you are unable you witness, or feel you're ineffective at it, or are discourged by it, don't worry; did hopes look good for this little boy? Of course not. He was alone, in the cold, rain, and no one seemed to care about his efforts. But God still used him to save this lady's life! Imagines what He can do through us, every day on earth, as we follow His command.
Matthew 28:19-20 wrote:
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Last edited by American Eagle on Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unsticky

Offline Profile E-mail Facebook  

Post Post subject: Re: Sermon #1: Preach the Gospel
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:16 am 
Former Mayor x1

Cash: 429.50
Great job. I think you will be great at this.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:12 am 
A Beautiful Gem
"I'm a work in progress, and progress hurts." - Anna Akana

Cash: 32.78
Bank: 1,335.00
Great sermon. I am looking forward to more of them.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:15 pm 
Avian American
Avian American
#DontTouchLola

Cash: 87.20
Bank: 100.00
Blog: View Blog (7)
Nice job. *applause* :) God has been convicting me of the same thing recently. And at first (and sometimes still) I felt deprived because my parents don't let me anywhere outside our yard whenever I want so I cannot just go witnessing if I feel like it. God showed me that I can, however, witness to the world via the awesome thing called the World Wide Web, and am attempting (quite sadly, thus far, I am afraid) to serve Him there. He will, however, help me and us all. :) If you think about it you might raise a couple words for God to fan His flame in all of us to witness faithfully.
Several times in the last couple months God said, "If I came back right now, or even tomorrow, would you be satisfied for what you had done to spread My Word?" and He showed me that we should treat every day as if it's the last. You've probably heard this before, I have, but now is when God helped me comprehend it for real. :)

Sorry to rant, my social skillz do not pertain as well to church stuff, it makes me feel awkward. :anxious:

Offline Profile  

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:19 pm 
Chief of Police

Very nice, IN! That's awesome that you, even though you couldn't leave your property, found a way to witness! That is precisely what I am talking about. Even though it seems hard to share your faith, you care enough about it to, in a sense, do hard things! I applaud you for that, and don't stop! Keep pressing towards the mark, sharing Christ with the nations! :D

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:08 pm 
Avian American
Avian American
#DontTouchLola

American Eagle wrote:
Very nice, IN! That's awesome that you, even though you couldn't leave your property, found a way to witness! That is precisely what I am talking about. Even though it seems hard to share your faith, you care enough about it to, in a sense, do hard things! I applaud you for that, and don't stop! Keep pressing towards the mark, sharing Christ with the nations! :D

Thanx. :) I must point out, however, that I would have certainly fallen off task (like any good Random) had not God kept prodding me forward. Indeed, He still does. :pray:
(You wouldn't happen to know about the Rebelution, would you? (Obvious website address)).

Offline Profile  

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:26 pm 
Chief of Police

Invisible Ninja wrote:
(You wouldn't happen to know about the Rebelution, would you? (Obvious website address)).

Indeed I have! Although I've never been to their conferences, I've read Do Hard Things, I'm on their forum (under the username "J.J."), and I wrote the Wikipedia articles on The Rebelution and Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations. They have a really great ministry!

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:34 pm 
Avian American
Avian American
#DontTouchLola

American Eagle wrote:
Invisible Ninja wrote:

Indeed I have! Although I've never been to their conferences, I've read Do Hard Things, I'm on their forum (under the username "J.J."), and I wrote the Wikipedia articles on The Rebelution and Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations. They have a really great ministry!

Nor have I, although I would very much like to attend one of the conferences. :( Sweet, I'm Tom Neigs, in the event you see me. :) Wow nice, I haven't written on Wikipedia like that. \:D/

Offline Profile  

[ 8 posts ]