[ 4 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: Sermon #2: Trust in the Lord
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:43 pm 
Chief of Police

Cash: 362.09
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (1)
Proverbs 3:5 wrote:
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

I was planning on writing this sermon about a totally different issue (which I might use in the future), but I had an odd dream last night that changed my mind. It was probably the coolest dream I've ever had, and it had a strange feeling to it. I'll tell that story, and then show the spiritual aspect to it.

Before I fell asleep last night, I was reading through a Guinness Book of World Records book, and came across a record that said China had over 14 billion moviegoers every year. It had a picture of a Chinese-language movie on the page, and that really stuck in my mind. I also was praying as I fell asleep, and there were so many things to pray for. My thought was, "God, I don't know what will happen with all these requests, but I'm just going to trust in You." I feel asleep soon thereafter.

I had such a vivid dream. In it, I won an all-expense paid trip to China. As with all dreams, it didn't all make sense. I stayed at the house of a Christian family there, and I remember we went to see the movie Kung Fu Panda at a Chinese theater. (This was, of course, influenced by the Record book I was reading). On a side note, this really shows the things we think about is the things we'll dream about. Back on subject, it was now time to return to America (my dream was simulated). I had to walk back to the Christian family's house, and I had no idea how to get there. I just started walking, and said, "God, I don't know the way, but You do and I'll trust in You."

I kept walking along a dirt road with nothing in site. I, in my dream, truly was trying to follow God and trust Him. I continued walking and there appeared the city where they lived! This may not seem like much, but China is a pretty big country. ;) I ate dinner with them, and soon left for the airport to fly home to America. I didn't know where the airport was, I didn't know when the plane would leave, and I didn't even know what plane I was to go on. I simply knew God had planned for me to go home that day, so I decided to trust Him and look for the airport. I simply needed to follow Him.

Why am I telling this crazy story? Well, for one, it is what is on my mind right now. But also, it has a spiritual application. Isaiah 12:2 says, "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation." In my dream, what would have happened if I had just trusted in my own strength to find the peoples' house, or the airport? Would I have ever found it? Probably not. Proverbs 28:26a says, "He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool..." Trusting in ourselves, and our own understanding, will get us nowhere.

In our day and age, there is so much to be afraid of. Jesus was probably speaking of our time when He said, "And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places." (Matthew 24:6-7) There is so much we can be afraid of, but a Christian ought never fear these things!

So today, let me challenge you to put your trust in God. I'm not talking about Salvation; I mean all of your day-to-day trust. Don't worry about your finances, how expensive your clothes are, what people think of you, your future; nothing! God is in control of everything, and "all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28) How powerful our God is, that we can simply rely on His Goodness! Praise Him!

Offline Profile E-mail Facebook  

Post Post subject: Re: Sermon #2: Trust in the Lord
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:43 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,099.97
Bank: 1,958.31
Wow, what an interesting dream! It's amazing how God can reach us even when we're asleep. :) I have been worrying about something lately and trying to trust God instead of worrying about it, so this was a very timely message for me. :) Thanks, AE.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:37 am 
Catspaw knows all
Just push that red button!

Cash: 1,838.18
I do think God can speak to us through our dreams, BUT we can't take that to mean that everything we dream is from God. Sometimes when we are worrying about something, God cannot speak to us until we 'quiet' our minds and for some of us, that only comes with sleep. I had a dream about 10 years ago about Palm Sunday. I was in the crown waving a palm and cheering Jesus. I don't remember if it was around Easter or not, but that would make sense.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:27 pm 
Chief of Police

Cash: 362.09
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (1)
jennifertwt wrote:
I do think God can speak to us through our dreams, BUT we can't take that to mean that everything we dream is from God. Sometimes when we are worrying about something, God cannot speak to us until we 'quiet' our minds and for some of us, that only comes with sleep. I had a dream about 10 years ago about Palm Sunday. I was in the crown waving a palm and cheering Jesus. I don't remember if it was around Easter or not, but that would make sense.

Indeed. I didn't mean to imply all dreams are from God, just that my specific dream had a important Biblical concept attached to it. Therefore, your message is correct, and your Palm Sunday dream is very interesting! :yes:

Offline Profile E-mail Facebook  

[ 4 posts ]