[ 5 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: Sermon #3: Give, and It Shall Be Given Unto You
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:33 pm 
Chief of Police

Cash: 362.09
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (1)
Luke 6:38 wrote:
Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

It was such a beautiful day; I decided to walk over and witness at the mall. I prayed that God would send me someone to hear the Gospel. After being there for about an hour, I hadn't talked with anyone. So I, as I usually do, went into the dollar store to buy some candy. O:) While checking the candy out, I conversed with two guys that I had witnessed to before. They were both very much into sin (and weren't afraid to discuss it!), so my previous discussion with them is one of the most memorable I've ever had.

I paid for the items; they were in line right behind me in the checkout isle. I began to walk away when one of them stopped me, asking if he could have a dollar. "I haven't eaten anything all day," he said with a bag of unpaid chips in hand. It is amazing how many things can rush through your mind as you are making a decision. (1) I thought of the possibility he was simply a drug-addict and wanted money for that, but I knew this wasn't true. (2) I thought of what would happen if I just walked away. Finally, (3) I thought of Luke 6:38: "Give, and it shall be given unto you".

I agreed and handed him the dollar. However, I then said, "Hey, wait. If you want the dollar, you've gotta take a tract as well." He gladly took both the money and the tract. I was really excited about that as I walked home. Not only was God able to use me to give to someone who was hungry (Matthew 25:35), I was able to be a positive witness of Christ!

Imagine if I had refused the dollar. My testimony with these guys would be gone. They'd consider me just another spoiled, selfish, religious nut who's not worth paying any attention to. But, praise God, He kept me from messing it up! 1 John 3:17 says, "But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?"

As I walked home, I thought about writing this sermon. I said to God, "Lord, if you'll somehow repay the dollar, it will be such a good testimony of Your power to the ToOers!" So I just prayed and waited. About an hour later, I was online when my mother came downstairs and said, "J.J., do you want to stay at the Bendixens' house [my sister's in-laws] for a few days?" Praise the Lord!

Let me explain why that is so wonderful. I had been dying to visit them. It had been several months since we had been together, and there aren't a whole lot of things I'd rather do. I'm now writing this from their house, and have had such an incredible time! Hallelujah! I gave a guy a dollar, and God repays by letting me stay here for three days! What an awesome God we serve.

This week, I want to challenge you to test out Luke 6:38. Look for someone who is in need. Try to do something for them. Show Christ's love to the world! God repays more than we can ever imagine, both here and in Heaven. He is really that good!

Offline Profile E-mail Facebook  

Post Post subject: Re: Sermon #3: Give, and It Shall Be Given Unto You
Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:28 am 
A Beautiful Gem
"I'm a work in progress, and progress hurts." - Anna Akana

Cash: 32.78
Bank: 1,335.00
Great teaching! I am so happy you had a chance to witness.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:49 pm 
Random sister
Random sister
figuring out life: one dream at a time

Cash: 1,369.33
Blog: View Blog (13)
that's awesome, AE! This sermon kinda ties into what this weekend was about at the youth retreat I went to. It was about Evangelism. One activity we did was this role-playing thing where we were in pairs, and one person would pretend be a non-Christian, and the other person would talk to them and try to incorporate God and their beliefs. This totally helped me think of what to say to this one girl I sat by in art class the day before this retreat! And I sat by her instead of sitting with my regular crowd, and God really blessed me because of my obedience! O:) So yeah, that's all I have to say :)

and I think this relates to both this sermon and your first one :yes: and btw I love your sermons so far!

Till the end of the line.

Offline Profile Facebook  

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:54 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b
Having to learn major patience in my life.

Cash: 0.00
Bank: 57.15
that's neat, AE! :)

Shennifer wrote:
One activity we did was this role-playing thing where we were in pairs, and one person would pretend be a non-Christian, and the other person would talk to them and try to incorporate God and their beliefs.

that is just what I did with some people from church, it's fun but challenging, it was good practice, for me, exspecilly for me because I'm really quiet. hehe. :anxious: :)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:56 pm 
Chief of Police

Cash: 362.09
Blog: View Blog (1)
Joyfully13 wrote:
Shennifer wrote:
One activity we did was this role-playing thing where we were in pairs, and one person would pretend be a non-Christian, and the other person would talk to them and try to incorporate God and their beliefs.

that is just what I did with some people from church, it's fun but challenging, it was good practice, for me, exspecilly for me because I'm really quiet. hehe. :anxious: :)

I've done this as well! We did it as part of The Way of the Master evangelism material. It was really good to practice on people that I'm comfortable with before doing it in the real-world! :)

Offline Profile E-mail Facebook  

[ 5 posts ]