[ 5 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: I Thessalonians 4; Your Participation Needed!
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:53 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 1,256.36
Bank: 0.00

You know, I recently heard an accurate statement that Paul's letters were typically divided into two parts. The first half typically explains certain doctrinal statements, and the latter half talks about how to practice your beliefs. This is certainly true of First Thessalonians. You could talk for pages about just one verse. That is exactly what I'm going to do this week. I'm going to talk about one verse toward the center of this chapter, and then I'd appreciate it if you did the same. Just pick any verse in this chapter, and share your thoughts on it.

I Thessalonians 4:11 talks about three things: being quiet, doing your own work, and working with your hands.

1. We need to be quiet. Not about our faith of course, but we shouldn't be a gossip, spreading lies, or even truths that are hurtful about anyone else. We need to be tactful. Whether its online or in the tumultuous world of "real life," we need a proverbial spiritual filter to help us ask "How would God want me to say this?" in order to have uplifting conversation. Careless words hurt people.

2. We need to do our own work. For this, we need to know what the Christian's work really is. "Christian" means "one who is like Christ". Isn't that something we should show to the world?

3. We need to work with our own hands. I think this refers to the mission field. Oftentimes, we drop our money in the offering plate, and feel satisfied that we are helping the mission efforts. While God can and does use monetary offerings, he also wants us to be willing to give our lives to him. Think about it. What is going to keep you from doing whatever God wants you to do?

*Insert shameless plug*

Go here to get really cheap real life stuff! Do it now! Now being sold is an AIO Live disc set.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: I Thessalonians 4; Your Participation Needed!
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:04 pm 
The Council isn't corrupt
I have vanished into the padded room.

Cash: 4.26
Bank: 0.01
Blog: View Blog (5)
What happens if I disagree with the method of study? Do I start a argument or should I just be quiet?

Offline Profile  

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:08 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 1,256.36
By all means, please tell us! We appreciate all input we get.

*Insert shameless plug*

Go here to get really cheap real life stuff! Do it now! Now being sold is an AIO Live disc set.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:09 pm 
Whittier than you
Whittier than you
SnC. I miss you!

Cash: 778.70

In the first 4 verses, Paul mentions that since they have been taught, and they know what to do, they should grow in Christ. If we know what to do, yet we don't, that's sin. We need to act on what we've been taught in Christ. He says in v. 4 "That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;" We need to take control so to speak, or to stop the world's control of our minds and bodies to do what's right in God's eyes.

He says that no Christian should defraud another because the Lord is avenger in all things. You know the verse, "vengeance is mine, I will repay, sayeth the Lord." God will repay what wrong happened to us. We shouldn't go ballistic and attack another Christian because they hurt us.

Paul says to "mind our own business" so to speak. He tells us to study so that we may walk honestly (or uprightly, with no reproach) with everyone.

Paul tells us not to worry or mourn the loss of dead loved ones, because if they knew the Lord, they are with Him, and that if we are Christians, when Christ returns (the Rapture), we will be raptured up and see our loved ones again. He tells us to comfort each other with this thought.

Moontide, if you want to, you can most certainly share your ideas with us! \:D/

*I'm really sorry if this seems to be a terrible study. I didn't have a great day, and am really tired.*

I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.

#FOREVERKITTY

Offline Profile  

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:54 pm 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!
#snubsrocks

Cash: 162.88
Very interesting insight onto those verses.

I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother.
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.

Join the Bible Bowl

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 5 posts ]