[ 1 post ] 
 Post Post subject: Diligent Ben|Getups!|January 17th, 2006
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:55 pm 
I'm as fancy as Penguin!

Cash: 8.50
Bank: 75.14
Diligent Ben
Proverbs 22:29: "Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will serve before kings...."
What do we mean by diligent? The dictionary says that diligent people are hardworking and industrious. They are painstaking in their efforts to do a good job. They give careful attention to the details of their work so that it is done to the best of their ability. They are the kind of people who can work without supervision. They do their best whether or not someone is looking.

The Bible says that diligent young people will stand before kings. They will be successful in life. Joseph and Daniel were diligent youths whose faithfullness won for them a place in the king's court.

Ben Franklin was another young man of whom it could be said that he was diligent in his business. Born in Boston on this day in 1706, he became famous on both sides of the Atlantic as a scientist, writer, statesman, and diplomat. He was as much at home with the kings of Europe as he was with the farmers of New England.

One of his neighbors wrote about him: "The industry of that Franklin is superior to anything I ever saw....I see him still at work when I go home from the club; and he is at workagain before his neighbors are out of the bed."*

Ben was the fifteenth child and youngest son in a family of 17. Two years of schooling were all that his parents could afford, to give him. Yet by making use of spare moments he taught himself algebra, geometry, navigation, grammar, logic, and science, becoming one of the best-educated men of his time.

If you want to build a succesful life, diligence is one of the stones you must put into the foundation now. When you faithfully, perform the tasks assigned to you, however dull they may be, you are receiving a training that will fit you for a position of trust and usefullness later on.

Mrs. White puts it this way: "In the faithful performance of the simple duties of home, boys and girls lay the foundation for mental, moral, and spiritual excellence" (Messages to Young People, p. 212)

In other words, be diligent; it pays!
_______
*World Book Encyclopedia (1973), vol. 7, p. 413.

Offline Profile Facebook  

[ 1 post ]