Devotions - Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006

So Many Questions But Only One Is Vital To Answer

A place to discuss Scripture, spiritual life, and day-to-day issues.

Devotions - Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006

Postby Blipadouzi » Tue May 23, 2006 6:40 am

Reading: Psalms 9, Psalm 11; John 8:1-27

Good morning Church,

This morning's reading is full of questions. Some of these questions are aimed at us and others are aimed at the unbelievers of this world. This is asked by David:

In the LORD I take refuge.
How then can you say to me:
"Flee like a bird to your mountain." (Psalm 11:1)

I picture David's face with a look of bewilderment that someone would even suggest such a thing, to run away. Unless God, his refuge, told him to run David would remain in the face of any enemy. What do we do in the face of discouragement? What do we do in the face of overwhelming odds? Do we not run away? Our caves may look a bit different these days. Our caves may be the four walls of our home. It may be a box that sits on our desk that represents a make-believe world. It may be books. Our hiding cave may take on any form but it is still a place for us to flee to. Yet David stood his ground through the worst of things because he found his strength in the Lord.

The second question is also asked of David:

When the foundations are being destroyed,
what can the righteous do?" (Psalm 11:3)

In other words, when the things you have based your life on are being attacked, what are believers suppose to do? David's response does not necessarily look like a response, yet it is exactly how he lived his life. He reminds the readers who God is, that he is seeing everything and he will bring judgment on the wicked. In other words, have patience, wait and you will see the hand of deliverance rescue you. On several occasions David did not engage those who were attacking him. He waited and the judgment of God fell upon his enemies. It is strange that the greatest threats to David came from those whom he loved. That's hard. Yet his proven advice is to trust God.

Now we switch gears a bit and slip over to the New Testament scriptures. Here we find Jesus addressing the crowds at the temple again giving yet another "I AM" statement. He has already proclaimed to be the "Living Water" and the "Bread of Life". Now he states "I AM the light of the world". The leaders again challenge Jesus and state that his testimony is not valid. Jesus says it is because the Father also testify to who he is. They ask the question "Where is your father?" They could have been referring to the fact that Joseph was no longer around because as far as they knew Joseph was the father. But Jesus made it plain to them so that they could no longer play dumb.

"You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins." (John 8:23-24)

Then the most important question of all is asked:

"Who are you?" they asked.

Indeed who is he? Jesus asked that question of his disciples after they told what every one else thought. Jesus asked them quite pointedly, "But who do you say that I am?" Who indeed? David claimed him as his refuge. David knew him as the righteous judge. Who do you say he is? Honestly, who is Jesus to you?

Do you treat him as an idol, cold, non-living? Do you treat him as some vacationing deity who is too busy to bother with you or to notice what you are doing?

Before we can go forward together we need to answer this question in ourselves. Do we honestly understand and live the fact that we are branches that have been grafted into the Vine so that now we are one with our Saviour and Lord? Do we have that intimacy with him? Or do we feel like we are branches that have been pruned away, laying separate from the vine, drying up and ready to be thrown upon the fire? Are we laying there looking up at this Jesus with that question still forming on our lips: "Who are you?" His response remains the same:

"Just what I have been claiming all along."

The Living Water. The Bread of Life. The Light of the World. In truth, our refuge and our defender. Our strength. Our champion. Our friend. Our brother. Our Saviour. Our Lord.

Now we need to live like it!
Catspaw knows all
Blipadouzi

Cash on hand: 0.00

Return to Bible Room