Devotions - Tuesday, June 6th, 2006

Equip For Purpose

A place to discuss Scripture, spiritual life, and day-to-day issues.

Devotions - Tuesday, June 6th, 2006

Postby Blipadouzi » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:18 am

Reading: Psalm 109-110, Psalm 138; John 16

Good morning Church,

I want us to get the imagery into our mind that we are mighty warriors in the Lord with an assigned mission or task. We are an army of purpose. Sometimes we wander around as if we have no purpose, being flung about by this idea and then that idea. Yet, the Spirit knit our purpose into us in our mother's womb. We always think of a purpose as being something that comes upon us, but God actually knit it into who we are. There are several indications of this truth in the Word but I am partial to Isaiah:

Before I was born the LORD called me;
from my birth he has made mention of my name. (Isaiah 49:1b)

I can guarantee you something about this purpose; if you are determined to serve the Lord, loving him with all your heart, mind, body and soul, then he will fulfill his purpose in you. It will be done. You will be able to say along with Jesus, with Paul and with so many millions of believers who went ahead of us, it is finished;

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. (2 Timothy 4:7)

David states this simple principle as fact:

The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;
your love, O LORD, endures forever- (Psalm 138:8)

Along with the fact that we have purpose, a mission, is the truth that God equips those he calls. He is rich with resources beyond our imagining. At great moments of weakness and despair we may lose our trust in this but it does not make this fact any less true. God has called us and his desire is to lavishly pour out his supplies for the mission. Consider what Jesus was teaching his disciples in John 16, encouraging them before his departure:

But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you. (John 16:13-15)

Jesus first establishes the method and means of supply. The Spirit will take for Jesus to give to us. Does Jesus have an ample source of supplies? Yes, because what belongs to the Father belongs to him. Daddy has opened his storehouse so that whatever is needed can be given. So, how do we access it?

In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. (John 16:23-24)

All we have to do is ask as followers of Jesus Christ. It is not so much the words "and I ask in Jesus name" as it is the relationship we now have because we have called on the name of Jesus. We bear his name "Christ" and because we do we have access to the Father who is pleased to pour out his supplies on us. Why? Remember what we considered yesterday, because he is glorified by our success. He will provide so that our mission, our purpose will be fulfilled so that he will be glorified.

Do not let this teaching slip through your grasp. You have a purpose. God is determined to see that purpose fulfilled. He has resources beyond our understanding to equip us for that purpose. He will be glorified through our success. We cannot fail. It is impossible. Christ goes before us. The way has been prepared. Why are we wasting so much time; let's do it.

Today, think about what you need to fulfill your purpose. It could be a heart of greater love and mercy. It could be a vehicle to get you from point A to point B. It could be an Occupancy Permit for operations. It could be more workers. It could be some money for cash flow. It could be boldness. It could be a heart resistant to temptation. It could be friends to help sustain you. It could simply be encouragement. Whatever it is, ask; it will be given.

Let us enter this day with praise and thanksgiving because Jesus lives!
Catspaw knows all
Blipadouzi

Cash on hand: 0.00

Return to Bible Room