An Alternative to the Chatroom Link

The place where role players come to play! If you want to start an interactive war, chat with real citizens of the town, or find other uses for your faction, this field can accommodate those desires. As with anything else, please try to keep your role playing appropriate... but you're still welcome to have a little fun!
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

An Alternative to the Chatroom Link

Post by Iron and Light »

If anyone has problems using the chatroom via the link here on the ToO, you can follow these instructions to download an alternative program called XChat. Check to make sure that the program will be compatible with your computer. Then:

Go download and install this free program:

http://www.xchat.org

Now:

1. Open up the main XChat window and type in a nickname for yourself. This is what you'll be seen as in the chatroom. Then type in a username (your username on here if you want, or you can just re-type your nickname in this box) and a real name (if you feel comfortable, just put your real name in there- if not, I just put my nickname in there). Make sure to type in a username, nickname, and real name for yourself- if you don't, it won't let you join any channels.

2. Click the 'Add' button towards the right of the box. A new little rectangle will now appear at the top of your channel list. Name the channel something like "Gower's Field Chat" by clicking on the rectangle, typing the name in, and then clicking out of it.

3. Now you need to edit the channel. Click on the channel and hit the 'Edit' button which is also towards the right of the screen.

4. A new window should have opened up right about now. Up at the top of the new box, replace 'newserver/6667' (or whatever your box says the server is) with 'irc.timpeterson.org'. You replace the server the same way as you replaced the channel's name in step 2.

5. Down towards the bottom of the new box, you'll see a blank box labeled 'channels to join'. Type in '#Gowers'.

6. Close the box out to save it all. Then, go back into the box by clicking 'edit' again to make sure your changes have saved.

7. In order to join the channel, simply highlight your new Gower's Field Chat and click 'connect'.

Voila! Let me know if you have any problems.
uz
RP Death Scythe
RP Death Scythe

Post by uz »

Or if you have pidgin:

1. Account > Manage Account

2. Add

3. In Basic, select Protocol as IRC
Username as your IGN
Server as irc.timpeterson.org

4. When you activate the account, Global will show up.
5. Type "/join #gowers" and "/join #ooc"
6. viola~
**crez go to sonuna
uz: MELF WILL YOU MARRY MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!?!?!?!?!?!?
mirkwoodelf: I DONT KNOW I HAS OTHER PROPOSALSES.
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

Does anyone use the chat anymore? :(
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

the experiment kind of fizzled out, due to logistic trouble
and also none of us being used to chatRP except elf/sarai really
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
xiao

Post by xiao »

it seemed pretty cool while it lasted... which wasn't long. :(
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

were you even ever in the chat while it lasted? ;P
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
xiao

Post by xiao »

Sonuna wrote:were you even ever in the chat while it lasted? ;P
Yeah, I was actually, quite a bit... during the flooded years RP thing.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Meh, I've been meaning to get chatroom RP'ing back up and running once more (I refuse to accept defeat :x)... but I'll need a bit of help for this to work out :p.

We should get a MSN IM chat going about this matter of great importance *nots*.

I'll probably make a thread in Save Gowers Field about it, too.

Basically.. it was a great idea, and role playing went along a lot faster (not to mention, it was a lot more active when the chatroom was going), but we didn't think the timing was working out too well. When I moved the RP to the forums.. thinking it would help us out... it died out even quicker, really. So. Lesson:

The chatroom is still a good idea. It just needs a bit more thought to be put into it.
xiao

Post by xiao »

yeah, I agree there. hmm...

why does everyone on the ToO use MSN? I like AIM. :(
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Meh. I have AIM, but never use it because I have like.. two contacts on there?

Besides, MSN pwns AIM any day of the week.

Anyway. Something should def. be done about getting the chatroom roleplaying up and running again. Definitely.
xiao

Post by xiao »

That's why I don't use MSN - all my friends have AIM. I should probably just get some kind of program that can do both like Pigdin or whatever.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Or....ADIUM. But oh wait....you don't have a mac. :(
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Digsby works rather well, come to think of it. I tried Pidgin, but it really didn't impress me. Digsby's better :yes:.
xiao

Post by xiao »

Or we could go eat something that isn't chicken or watermelon! Oh but wait Tyler, you live in Georgia. :(
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

That's the way the ToO-associated chat channels work. They're lurkerton of the lurker county in the state abbreviated LU in the United States of Lurking.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Xaio, I use a web-based chat client that can log into all your Gtalk, MSN, AIM, Facebook, Myspace, Jabber, et al, accounts at once in one screen. Check out http://www.meebo.com.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Jamesobie
Gold Member

Post by Jamesobie »

:explode:
-Trenton Landmark<><
P.S. The Bones rule, and the Israelites drool.
In memory of StrongNChrist, whom I never met.Image