Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:19 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar

Birthday

Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14127
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 636.88
Bank: 55,000.00
Excerpt from the journal of Gareth Trevelyan
With Olwen shut in the room beneath the dragon guardian I decided the easiest course of action would be to lure it down the hallway. This would solve both our problems at once, the traps would incapacitate the dragon making us able to exit, and the dragon would spring the traps making it safe to traverse the hall. However when I shined the sunlight disk in its eye it took notice, but did not move from its post. It seemed we would have to fight.

I took a shot at it and it thematically spit back its fiery attack. Fortunately my robes provided significant protection. I continued landing bolts, Olwen got a shot in, and the guardian was eventually vanquished and crashed to the floor. It was of course not nearly the feat of besting a real dragon, but the victory still gave me great pride. I was determined to secure a trophy to commemorate the event, originally wanting to add one of the stone teeth to my collection, but after having trouble obtaining one I decided to just haul out the entire head. It will be quite the impressive artifact.

Olwen brought out the egg and we returned to the entrance. As we emerged back into the desert we noticed a bird take flight, emanating a magical signature. Realizing we were being watched Olwen quickly shot it down. Our objective was acquired, but we weren't out of the woods yet.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:54 am 
Catspaw knows all
User avatar
...

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Posts: 800

Cash: 7.94
Bank: 179.68
I can't make it to tonight's session as I have a real-life thing to do. :(

_________________
Image


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:28 am 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar

Birthday

Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14127
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 636.88
Bank: 55,000.00
Excerpt from the journal of Gareth Trevelyan
We decided to track down whoever was spying on us through the bird. It was vital to know if they were connected to the cult; our mission was predicated on being an undetected extraction. If they realized we had found the egg before we returned to the Embers we would have problems. The bird had been heading toward the city tower before we shot it down, so we started off in that direction. As we approached we were startled to see several tents set up. I worried we hadn't sidetracked the cult after all, but further observation revealed the people standing around to merely be servants.

Another bird flew from the tower. Wanting to get to whoever this mysterious watcher was before he could announce our presence to the cult, if he was with them, we abandoned stealth and rushed the tower. All but one of the servants fled, which was our hope. We detained the final one and hurried inside. Interrogation found there was just one man above, some kind of scout, along with a creature of some sort. I directed the servant to sit aside quietly and we formed a plan to advance on the upper level. As we climbed the stairs a voice rang down, acknowledging our presence. We prepared to confront the source, unsure how the encounter would play out.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:36 am 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts: 1343
Age: 26
Gender: Male

Cash: 392.74
Bank: 0.00
Yay. Auto logout deletes my post.

2 XP to Woody, Tikvah, and Bookworm for taking out Captain Cyrus as Eyeless Pete collapsed the tower around their ears. Plus 1 XP each to give away.

Bookworm earns 2 additional XP for journal posts.


Top
  Offline Profile  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:45 pm 
Catspaw knows all
User avatar
...

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Posts: 800

Cash: 7.94
Bank: 179.68
I give my XP to Woody for landing the last blow on Cyrus.

_________________
Image


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:06 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
User avatar
The man that stops the monsters

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Posts: 5102
Age: 101

Cash: 2,130.00
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
I give my XP to bookworm for using his magic to contain the fight as best he could.

_________________
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:26 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar

Birthday

Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14127
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 636.88
Bank: 55,000.00
I give my XP to Tikvah for getting good damage on Cyrus.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:55 pm 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts: 1343
Age: 26
Gender: Male

Cash: 392.74
Bank: 0.00
Last session ended with the defeat of Eyeless Pete and the heroes scattering as the mercenaries investigated the fall of their leaders.

2 XP to Woody, Tikvah, and Bookworm, and 1 XP to give away.


Top
  Offline Profile  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:58 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar

Birthday

Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14127
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 636.88
Bank: 55,000.00
I give my XP to Woody for preventing Pete from escaping.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:42 pm 
Catspaw knows all
User avatar
...

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Posts: 800

Cash: 7.94
Bank: 179.68
I give my XP to bookworm for not getting himself caught and starting to find the hostages.

_________________
Image


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:58 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar

Birthday

Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14127
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 636.88
Bank: 55,000.00
Excerpt from the journal of Gareth Trevelyan
We cautiously entered the upper level of the tower and found a gruff looking man resting against a massive beast. We gathered he was a scout for hire being used by the cultists, not a member himself, so we tried to talk our way out of the encounter. I made light of our business in the city and showed him some of the trinkets I had picked up. He mentioned the dragon egg, but didn't press us on it. He was content to follow a shift in conversation to the history of the area and some general remarks about our excursion. I was able to barter some valuable information for one of the silver crossbows. I was quite disappointed to part with it, it would have made a splendid centerpiece in my display of souvenirs, but it was more useful as a bargaining chip so I had no choice. The Embers will be thankful to receive this information. When our business had concluded the man cordially let us leave, under the appearance of chasing us off so as to keep up appearances of his post. We loaded the egg on the camel and began the return journey. The mission, for once, had gone exactly as planned. Except the holdup with the cave cat, but that was nothing in the long run. The extraction of the egg, away from cult attention, went without a hitch; even when we thought there was going to be one at the end.

We received a hero's welcome at Dawn Fortress and turned the egg over to the Archivist for safe keeping, and apparently hatching. He expressed desire to gift the creature to the Emperor, but Ursa seemed to disagree so the ultimate fate remains to be seen. I feel uneasy about the proposal myself; before we left we had been discussing the strange change of tone coming from the Emperor recently and questioning if there was possibly something sinister behind it. Until we can clear up what exactly is going on with the situation I think we should be wary with our actions concerning the Capitol. Levi of course wants to train the dragon as a battle ally, but I doubt that will be arranged, if it could even be done.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:45 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
User avatar
The man that stops the monsters

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Posts: 5102
Age: 101

Cash: 2,130.00
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
I give my XP to bookworm for causing some chaos in the castle.

_________________
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:49 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar

Birthday

Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14127
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 636.88
Bank: 55,000.00
Mercenary Occupation, Session 1 of 8
Continued by Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8
We need an assault force. Mercenaries have seized a mountain town and taken hostages. Route the mercenaries and retake the town.
Quote:
18:20 Woody is now known as Leviticus
18:20 bookworm is now known as Gareth
18:20 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
18:21 <Gareth>: I remind Levi to get his new kitten on the way out of Rindtis btw.
18:21 <Leviticus>: I already got it...
18:21 <Gareth>: You weren't there when we left
18:21 <Leviticus>: Oh, the tower
18:21 <Leviticus>: Okay
18:21 <Gareth>: Yeah
18:22 <Gareth>: When we get back home, I replant the mushrooms I took so they glow again and put them in a terrarium with the glowing water to make this: http://theshadowpaws.weebly.com/RPG_terrarium.html
18:22 <Skid_GMing>: Heh. Cool. Okay.
18:22 <Leviticus>: Summary of last week, maybe?
18:24 <Skid_GMing>: They talked to Marl, a mercenary working for the Dragon cult. He can use animals as his eyes and ears. They traded a crossbow for some dirt on the cultists.
18:25 <Gareth>: We basically got to just leave without incident
18:25 <Leviticus>: He didn't happen to have any animal-taming spells lying around, did he?
18:25 <Skid_GMing>: Not lying around.
18:25 <Skid_GMing>: He knew some.
18:26 <Leviticus>: None he would've told me, though, I suppose
18:26 <Skid_GMing>: It would have cost you, yes.
18:26 <Leviticus>: And I'm currently broke
18:26 <Leviticus>: We haven't completed a mission since we got our crazy upgrades ;)
18:26 <Skid_GMing>: So, our heroes trek homeward to the Dawn Fortress with the dragon's egg, triumphant. After three weeks of blistering heat and scourging sandstorms, they arrive.
18:26 <Olwen>: Yay.
18:26 <Skid_GMing>: The old fortress has been transformed. The dunes have been swept away from its base, revealing a sheer-sided moat, and a stone-slab bridge has been erected over this fresh obstacle.
18:27 <Skid_GMing>: Your return is met with cheering and excitement. Commander Ursa and the Archivist are both there to see the dragon's egg and congratulate you on your work.
18:27 <Gareth>: :)
18:27 <Leviticus>: =D
18:27 Leviticus waves to the cheering crowd
18:28 Leviticus pretends he was helpful on this mission
18:29 <Leviticus>: I'm hoping for some combat this time, that's what my character is good at
18:29 <Skid_GMing>: "We've prepared a chamber beneath the keep for the egg. With Juno-- erm, Morgan's help, of course." The archivist says.
18:30 <Skid_GMing>: "I believe I've decyphered an old text with care and hatching instructions."
18:30 <Leviticus>: "What will be done with it once it's hatched?"
18:32 <Skid_GMing>: "I believe, when it is safe, it will be presented to the Emperor. A living dragon is a historic discovery."
18:32 <Skid_GMing>: Ursa scowls at this.
18:32 <Leviticus>: "Indeed so, but will it serve any practical use?"
18:33 <Leviticus>: "Or simply be a trophy?"
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: The Archivist looks confused.
18:34 <Skid_GMing>: "It's a dragon! The academical significance alone is staggering!"
18:34 <Leviticus>: "Yes, indeed it is, but it may well prove a powerful ally in battle"
18:36 <Olwen>: I don't really like the idea of doing anything for the emperor.
18:36 <Skid_GMing>: The archivist turns positively green at the thought, and Ursa gives you a gentle push to the side. "I realize you're fresh from the road, but but there are things we need to discuss."
18:36 <Leviticus>: xP
18:36 <Leviticus>: I be a warrior, not a scientist =P
18:37 <Leviticus>: "Then let us discuss them. In private, of course." I glance at the crowd
18:38 <Skid_GMing>: "Right. My office then." He waves at a fresh recruit. "Bring some drinks for our travellers."
18:39 <Olwen>: Yay....
18:39 <Skid_GMing>: And guides you to his office chambers.
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: "It's the Scythians." He says, lowering himself into the wide chair behind the desk.
18:41 <Skid_GMing>: "Without a force to resist them they've gotten bold. Took complete control of Apex. Ran the govenor out of town."
18:42 <Leviticus>: "Oh my"
18:42 <Leviticus>: OOC: We've been gone that long?
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: You've been gone over a month and change.
18:43 <Olwen>: Wow.
18:43 <Gareth>: Three weeks to the egg, two day extraction, three week journey back
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: "I realize this is the exact scenario I wanted to avoid, but it can't be helped. Already there is political murmuring that we aren't capable of enforcing the law. The town must be taken back."
18:45 <Gareth>: "Is this related to the slaying of our brother?"
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: "Yes. Same mercenaries. Think they can just trample anyone in their path."
18:45 <Gareth>: I scowl.
18:46 <Olwen>: "Do we have a plan for recovering Apex?"
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: "I do not, unfortunately. I haven't had time to gather intel on them."
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: "You'll have to do your own scouting. When the time to strike comes, I can have a unit of 20 men at your disposal, waiting outside the city."
18:49 <Olwen>: "Do we know the approximate number of enemies?"
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: "Unless they've been recruiting, they've got roughly 50 men, but all are dangerous veterans. You'll have to find a way to divide them."
18:51 <Skid_GMing>: "Alternately, destroy their leadership to cause infighting. Mercenaries don't stick together when they aren't getting paid."
18:52 <Skid_GMing>: "Have any of you been to Apex?"
18:54 Olwen needs to check the map.
18:54 <Skid_GMing>: http://i.imgur.com/JIpXBvK.jpg
18:54 <Gareth>: Is that somewhere I would have gone in my studies? (Research/exploring before joining the Patrol)
18:55 <Skid_GMing>: Probably not. Olwen has a decent chance since she is from that area and travelled with a circus.
18:55 <Olwen>: Oh. Yeah, I think I've been to Apex.
18:55 <Gareth>: "I have not."
18:55 <Olwen>: "I have, a while ago."
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a general knowledge check.
18:59 <Olwen>: !roll d20
18:59 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 9
19:01 <Skid_GMing>: You've been there, and might still know a couple of the people around town. It's a small mountain city of about 2000, with a single-towered castle guarding the entrance to its valley. The people there are oddly hostile to strangers.
19:02 <Leviticus>: Skid, what city does my character originate from? I don't believe we've ever established that...
19:03 <Skid_GMing>: I'm not sure we did. I think somewhere in the foothills around Francis or Winter Pool.
19:03 <Leviticus>: So is it possible Apex is where I met the healer? I remember the city was on a mountain
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: Nah, Apex is deep mountain forest. I think the terrain there was more scrubby.
19:05 Leviticus shrugs. It was worth a try
19:05 Olwen quit
19:06 <Leviticus>: Might we be able to rally the citizens against the mercenaries?
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: "It would be worth an attempt."
19:06 <Gareth>: "If they trust us over them. We're both outsiders."
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: "Yes. There's the rub."
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: "I understand if you need to take some time to rest after your last mission, but the sooner you can get out there and deal with this, the better."
19:09 <Gareth>: What time of day is it?
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: Right now? Mid evening.
19:10 <Gareth>: "I think we'll be able to depart in the morning."
19:10 <Leviticus>: We rest long enough to heal, right?
19:10 <Leviticus>: And recover our heal rolls?
19:11 <Leviticus>: Because I'm down to a 10H roll
19:11 <Skid_GMing>: Yes. You rest long enough to do that while travelling.
19:11 <Gareth>: We replenished on the journey back yes
19:11 <Gareth>: Just takes an overnight I believe
19:13 Olwen joined #Gowers
19:14 <Penguin>: Welcome back
19:14 <Skid_GMing>: Dumped logs to PM.
19:15 <Leviticus>: So did I =P
19:15 <Skid_GMing>: She can read them in stereo.
19:15 <Olwen>: Sorry, the power went out.
19:16 <Penguin>: Are you guys gonna speed up to the morning?
19:16 <Penguin>: Or is this the end?
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: We can jump to the travel.
19:17 <Penguin>: #GoSaveApex
19:18 <Gareth>: I go make that terrarium, then rest.
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:18 <Tikvah>: (Would I be able to spend any of my XP at this point?)
19:18 <Leviticus>: ^Good question
19:19 <Skid_GMing>: Yes. XP can be spent at the end of this session.
19:18 <Gareth>: Oh yeah, I got some new spells too, but overnight isn't long enough to learn them...
19:19 <Skid_GMing>: You can learn your magicy stuff while you travel.
19:19 <Gareth>: Oh good
19:19 Skid_GMing handwaves.
19:19 <Gareth>: :p
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: In the morning you set out with your expeditionary force, travelling for two weeks until you reach the forest outside Apex's valley. What kind of position do you want your forces to camp?
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: And what should they do while you venture into town?
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: Assume moderately competent fighters/scouts with some experience behind them.
19:23 <Olwen>: Somewhere defencable, but where they have a view of the town if something goes wrong.
19:23 <Olwen>: I think.
19:23 <Gareth>: What is our signal?
19:24 <Olwen>: Smoke signal? I dunno.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: "The town is on fire. Move in." =p
19:24 <Olwen>: Yeah, that works.
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, your backup camps on a wooded hill a few miles from town, off the main road, with scouts in the trees watching the town.
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: You can see an unfamilar banner flying from the castle, alongside the imperial one.
19:27 <Olwen>: "Alright, what's the plan?"
19:29 <Gareth>: Scout around and see which course looks most promising; divide and conquer or take out the head."
19:29 <Olwen>: OK, so scout out the town?
19:30 <Gareth>: Yes find out how the bandits are holed up
19:30 <Skid_GMing>: Uniforms on or wearing civilian clothes?
19:30 <Olwen>: I would think civilian clothes.
19:30 <Gareth>: Do we need to sneak or do we just pretend to be citizens?
19:30 <Olwen>: We'll have to see.
19:31 <Skid_GMing>: Any of you specifically have disguise skills?
19:31 <Olwen>: Not me.
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: Just asking.
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: But it would let you make an educated guess.
19:33 <Gareth>: I guess let's just go out and mingle then and see what we can see.
19:34 <Skid_GMing>: Openly armed?
19:34 <Gareth>: Is that out of place?
19:34 <Olwen>: I think I will, if I'm going as a taveler it would make sense to have a weapon.
19:34 <Skid_GMing>: Fair enough.
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: You haven't poked around enough to know if it's out of place yet.
19:35 <Gareth>: I'll leave my sword at camp.
19:35 <Gareth>: Good thing about being a mage; weapons always on hand
19:35 <Gareth>: Literally :p
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: So, you're descending to enter the town, via the main road, as a group of travellers?
19:35 <Olwen>: Should we go as a group or seperately?
19:37 <Gareth>: Oh sure, let's just go in like we're passing through. Then we don't need to worry about being noticed, because the cover is real
19:37 <Olwen>: OK..
19:37 <Gareth>: The city hasn't been shut down right? Just taken over
19:38 <Skid_GMing>: Not that you can tell. From up here you still see people moving in the streets.
19:38 <Gareth>: I was thinking we couldn't be seen here
19:39 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, so you're travellers passing through town.
19:39 <Skid_GMing>: Roll perception checks as you enter.
19:39 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
19:39 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 20
19:39 <Olwen>: :D
19:39 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
19:39 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 4
19:40 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
19:40 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 2
19:40 <Leviticus>: I pose as a blind man
19:40 <Olwen>: Heh.
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you see everything. You get openly hostile looks as you walk down the main street. A woman mutters something about "throat-slitting scum" as you brush by her. In front of the Blazing Barn Tavern, you see a group of heavily armed men laughing and drinking, telling old war stories.
19:44 <Gareth>: Citizens or mercenaries?
19:44 <Skid_GMing>: Their armor has the same emblem as on the strange flag. A red scythe on a black background.
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: One of the soldiers rises, saunters over to intercept a child carrying a basket of bread, grabs a loaf, and shoves the girl into the mud.
19:46 <Olwen>: Is there anyone with her?
19:46 <Skid_GMing>: She seems to be alone.
19:47 <Olwen>: I go offer to help her up.
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: She takes your hand and gets up, sniffeling. The mercenaries laugh.
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: "Oi, we got a soft one. You ain't here to sign up, I hope."
19:49 <Leviticus>: Oooooh
19:50 Leviticus pretends to be separate from Olwen
19:50 Leviticus whispers something to Gareth
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: The girl starts collecting her muddied bread, glaring at the mercs.
19:51 <Olwen>: I ignore Leviticus.
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: You notice that the rest of the crowd has made a wide circle around this scene, deliberately not getting involved.
19:52 <Olwen>: "I'm not up to mercenary work. I don't have the sort of skill needed for the job."
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: "Pshah. Probly don't even know how t' use that bow." One of ther mercenaries mocks.
19:54 <Olwen>: "I could definitely use some improvement."
19:54 <Leviticus>: They don't associate me with Olwen, correct?
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: Uhm, read person check?
19:55 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
19:55 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 19
19:55 <Leviticus>: Yussss
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah, they haven't noticed you yet.
19:56 <Skid_GMing>: "Oh?" The mercenary rises from his seat again, menacingly. "I think I can give you some practice." He draws his sword.
19:56 <Skid_GMing>: The others sit back in grinning anticipation.
19:57 <Olwen>: "Now, what would you have to gain from that?"
19:57 <Olwen>: What are the escape routes like?
19:58 <Skid_GMing>: You've got up and down the street, scattered with people. And a few cluttered alleyways to pick from.
19:58 <Leviticus>: Alright, then I walk up to one of those sitting back and grumble "This the place to join the Scythians?"
19:59 <Skid_GMing>: "You there!" he barks at the girl. "Stand over there!" He points the sword at her, motioning for her to stand a short distance down the street.
19:59 <Olwen>: I take a couple steps back.
20:00 <Gareth>: I mingle into the crowd, watching for a signal he's actually going to attack.
20:00 <Gareth>: Assuming at the moment he's just posturing.
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: "Put your basket on your head." He turns back to Olwen. "Now, you. You want a little practice. Shoot the basket."
20:00 <Gareth>: Ohh
20:01 <Olwen>: How far away is it?
20:01 <Leviticus>: Uh-oh
20:01 <Skid_GMing>: About 30 feet away. A fairly easy shot. But the girl is trembling and not standing very still.
20:01 <Olwen>: How big is the basket?
20:01 <Leviticus>: Gareth, any chance you can force push the basket and Olwen can take a high shot?
20:02 <Gareth>: There wouldn't be an arrow in the basket.
20:02 <Skid_GMing>: If you're wondering there are four mercenaries sitting and watching this.
20:02 <Olwen>: What about that thing you did with the bird so I could hit it?
20:03 <Gareth>: I don't think I can do it on an inanimate object?
20:04 <Olwen>: Drat.
20:04 <Skid_GMing>: I'll allow it.
20:04 <Olwen>: How much would that increase the odds?
20:04 <Gareth>: One level more accurate
20:04 <Gareth>: I subtly cast distort space on the basket
20:05 <Olwen>: Should I do it?
20:05 <Skid_GMing>: Roll an intellect based shooting check to calculate your risk?
20:05 <Gareth>: Oh shoot!
20:05 <Olwen>: !roll d20
20:05 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 6
20:05 <Gareth>: I don't so that, it's a visible field
20:06 <Olwen>: OK, scratch the distortion.
20:06 <Skid_GMing>: You want to make a stealth check to cast it without them seeing where you did it from?
20:07 <Gareth>: I don't care about seeing me, they'll see *it*, the basket will shimmer. They'll know it's a trick
20:08 <Skid_GMing>: You're fairly sure you can hit the basket with no risk of hitting the girl, and only a small risk of missing the basket if you use some effort.
20:08 <Olwen>: OK, I'll make the shot.
20:08 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
20:08 <Leviticus>: The thing is, if she makes the shot, they'll give her a harder one
20:08 <Leviticus>: Best to miss both girl and basket
20:09 <Leviticus>: Give them a laugh and be on your way
20:09 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized 2 effort
20:09 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized 2 effort: 2
20:09 <Olwen>: Wait.
20:09 <Olwen>: I can use an XP and re-roll right?
20:10 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah, but that's already level 4.
20:10 <Gareth>: Oh yeah, maybe you should miss on purpose? Then you can just out with "told you I wasn't good" and drop the matter?
20:10 <Olwen>: I don't think it will be that easy, but I can try to get off with a bad shot. But if someone recognizes me by any chance I'll be in big trouble.
20:11 <Olwen>: I shoot, but aim a little high so if I go wrong I'll miss entirely.
20:11 <Skid_GMing>: You make the shot. Your arrow sinks into a loaf of bread. The threatening mercenary looks disappointed. The others whoop and laugh.
20:13 <Skid_GMing>: He finally smirks and goes to sit back down. "Lucky shot, girl. Maybe you should try working for coin."
20:13 <Olwen>: "Maybe I already have."
20:13 <Leviticus>: What about my attempt to enlist?
20:14 <Skid_GMing>: Oh, you're given directions to see eyeless Pete at the castle for tryouts.
20:15 <Skid_GMing>: "Really looking for good muscle. We got a big contract coming up. Real hush-hush stuff."
20:17 <Skid_GMing>: The girl with the bread darts off towards an alleyway as soon as people seem distracted.
20:17 <Olwen>: I follow as quietly as I can.
20:18 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a stealth check.
20:18 <Skid_GMing>: And then we should probably wrap up for the night.
20:18 <Olwen>: !roll d20
20:18 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 12
20:19 <Skid_GMing>: You track her to the back door of a bakery, which she slips inside.
20:19 <Skid_GMing>: 1 XP each, and 1 to give away.
20:19 <Olwen>: Yay.
20:19 Gareth quit
20:22 <Penguin>: Good show!
20:22 <Olwen>: :D
20:22 <Penguin>: *claps*
20:22 <Penguin>: Things got real intense there at the end

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:47 am 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts: 1343
Age: 26
Gender: Male

Cash: 392.74
Bank: 0.00
And the heroes return to route the mercenaries from the castle.

2 XP each to Tikvah and bookworm, 1 XP to Woody, and 1 to give away.

1 XP to bookworm for journal post.


Top
  Offline Profile  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:35 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar

Birthday

Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14127
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 636.88
Bank: 55,000.00
I give my XP to Tikvah for leading the reinforcements.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:04 pm 
Catspaw knows all
User avatar
...

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Posts: 800

Cash: 7.94
Bank: 179.68
I give my XP to bookworm for taking care of the hostages.

_________________
Image


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:49 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar

Birthday

Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14127
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 636.88
Bank: 55,000.00
Mercenary Occupation, Session 2 of 8
Continued from Part 1, Continued by Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8
We need an assault force. Mercenaries have seized a mountain town and taken hostages. Route the mercenaries and retake the town.
Quote:
18:07 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
18:07 bookworm is now known as Gareth
18:07 Woody is now known as Leviticus
18:07 <Skid_GMing>: Hello, adventurers.
18:07 <Skid_GMing>: When we left off, you had finished your first encounter with the mercenaries, Levi inquired about getting recruited, and Olwen followed a little girl home to a bakery.
18:09 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. Olwen, you're outside the back door of the bakery. Where is everyone else?
18:11 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth, are you still near the tavern, following Olwen, or going to check out the castle?
18:12 <Gareth>: Oh yeah, Olwen took off. I was going to stick around her, but I guess I'll just wander around town and see if I notice anything that would help us.
18:14 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. Market district, the tavern, the mill, or the huts?
18:14 <Gareth>: We're in the market now?
18:15 <Skid_GMing>: You're right outside the tavern, which is next to it, yeah.
18:15 <Skid_GMing>: What direction do you want to go?
18:16 <Gareth>: I'll stroll around here for a while. Where there are people hanging around. Try to get an idea of how the city is functioning.
18:16 <Gareth>: From observation and/or overhearing.
18:16 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. Roll a perception check.
18:16 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
18:16 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 3
18:18 <Skid_GMing>: You don't manage to gather much besides hostile looks from the inhabitants. You do notice that they seems afraid to show that level of resentment towards the mercenaries, however.
18:19 <Gareth>: The castle is where they set up headquarters?
18:20 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:20 <Gareth>: I walk by there and case the joint.
18:22 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, The open gate leads into a courtyard where you see several tents set up and an open area where mercenaries are drilling in hand-to-hand combat and archery.
18:23 <Skid_GMing>: In their midst you see a tall, shirtless man with incredibly long golden hair and enormous muscles overseeing the training.
18:24 <Gareth>: Are there lookouts around?
18:25 <Skid_GMing>: There are a couple guards that looks like they're supposed to be guarding the gate.
18:25 <Gareth>: Alright
18:25 <Skid_GMing>: The place looks as if these people feel perfectly secure.
18:25 <Gareth>: Let's throw it to Olwen
18:26 <Olwen>: I want to go aound to the front of the bakery.
18:26 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
18:26 <Leviticus>: I believe I'm off to see a fellow called Eyeless Pete?
18:26 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah, he would be at the castle where Gareth is.
18:26 <Olwen>: Is there anything unusual I notiice?
18:27 <Skid_GMing>: You go around front of the bakery, the place is a respectable establishment of two stories, with "Rose's Baking" written on a sign above the door. The smell of fresh sweet bread wafts out the door.
18:27 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check.
18:28 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
18:28 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 8
18:28 <Skid_GMing>: You think you can hear the little girl crying somewhere in the back, and an older voice talking to her.
18:29 <Olwen>: Is this the sort of place I can just walk into or do I knock?
18:29 <Skid_GMing>: You can walk in.
18:29 <Olwen>: I enter the bakery.
18:30 <Leviticus>: I go to the castle, then
18:31 <Skid_GMing>: You find yourself amongst displays of bread and sweets. The crying is clearer but has calmed. An older woman covered in flour emerges from the back room and takes a place behind the counter.
18:31 <Skid_GMing>: She gives you a strained smile. "What can I get you today?"
18:33 <Olwen>: "I want to buy some bread. Something fairly cheap, if you have any."
18:34 <Skid_GMing>: "Sure thing. The brown bread is a common a loaf."
18:34 <Olwen>: "How much is it?"
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: One copper coin per loaf.
18:35 <Olwen>: Oh.
18:35 <Olwen>: I don't have any of those.
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: She can make change.
18:35 <Gareth>: Pay with a royal.
18:35 <Olwen>: I don't have a royal. And that wouldn't exactly match my story.
18:35 <Gareth>: I know ;)
18:35 Leviticus makes a note that splitting up doesn't work well
18:36 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah, splitting the party does slow things down a bit.
18:36 <Skid_GMing>: Meanwhile at the castle, what are you doing? Going in?
18:36 <Leviticus>: Going to wherever Eyeless Pete is (He's who I apply to, right?)
18:37 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you go in and ask around for Eyeless Pete. You're directed to a hunchbacked, robed man with a face covered in bandages and a gnarled wooden cane.
18:38 <Skid_GMing>: You notice a bit of a magical presence to him.
18:39 <Leviticus>: Hmm... can I do a perception roll as to how I should speak (e.g., respectfully, loudly, cocky, etc.)
18:39 <Skid_GMing>: Roll it.
18:39 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
18:39 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 5
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: This guy is a crusty old mercenary. Probably won't appreciate bravado until you're proven worthy to it.
18:40 <Leviticus>: Would I have heard of him?
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: Probably not. He's not a man of legend beyond professional recognization.
18:40 <Leviticus>: Alright, then.
18:40 <Leviticus>: "Hello, sir. My name is Joshua Lucas. I'm told this is the place to apply for membership in your group."
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen: If you pay a common, you get a loaf of bread, and Rose asks "Anything else?".
18:41 <Olwen>: "Well, I actually came here to apologize to a girl that lives here. I met her just now in the town and I didn't mean to cause a scene."
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen: "Oh." she looks frightened and uncertain.
18:44 <Olwen>: "Sorry, perhaps I oughtn't to have come. This town is simply so changed since I was last here."
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: Levi: "Do you, eh?" He taps his cane on the ground. "You're good for a tryout then. RUFUS!"
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen: "I'll let her know you're sorry. I just wish you'd be more careful."
18:46 <Olwen>: "I will. When did these mercenaries arrive here anyway, if I may ask?"
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: Levi: A beefy warrior in armor appears, and Eyeless Pete points him towards you. "Give this young one a beating, if you can. If not, fit him with insignia and give him some coin."
18:48 <Leviticus>: I assume I'm not trying to kill here, right?
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: Levi: "Right. Fist against fist. First one to go down is defeated."
18:49 <Leviticus>: So, no swords, no dogs?
18:49 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen: "A month ago. The cowards at the castle left without a fight. They've been living free off our hard work ever since."
18:50 <Olwen>: "Does anyone resent these intruders?"
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: Levi: Gonna leave that up to your judgement, unless you're asking.
18:50 <Leviticus>: Okay
18:50 <Leviticus>: Braced Defense, then
18:50 <Leviticus>: And since he says fist, I assume that means no swords
18:51 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen: She scoffs at that. "Everyone resents them. But there's nothing we can do about it."
18:51 <Leviticus>: But I keep my medium sword ready, and hold the thorn shield
18:51 <Skid_GMing>: Levi: Okay, roll initative to start the fight.
18:51 <Leviticus>: This is... might?
18:51 <Leviticus>: Since it's a fistfight?
18:52 <Skid_GMing>: Initative is speed.
18:52 <Leviticus>: Alright
18:52 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
18:52 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 5
18:52 <Leviticus>: Dang
18:52 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, Rufus takes a swing at your face. Dodge.
18:53 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
18:53 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 5
18:53 <Leviticus>: 5 is Dicebot's favorite number tonight
18:54 <Gareth>: Does armor cover your face somehow?
18:54 <Skid_GMing>: Armor counts for headshots, yeah.
18:54 <Gareth>: Interesting
18:54 <Skid_GMing>: Just as an abstraction for gameplay purposes.
18:54 <Skid_GMing>: He hits you in the jaw, his fists like iron. You take 6 damage.
18:54 <Skid_GMing>: Your turn.
18:55 <Leviticus>: I hope this roll is might-based
18:55 <Leviticus>: Please?
18:55 <Leviticus>: Fistfights should be might
18:55 <Skid_GMing>: Well, no reason not to burn through your speed pool.
18:55 <Leviticus>: Also, am I still wearing those gauntlets?
18:55 <Skid_GMing>: ...sure.
18:55 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah, call it a might attack with those gauntlets on.
18:55 <Leviticus>: Or did we get new gadgets from the archivist?
18:56 <Leviticus>: More suitable to the mission
18:56 <Gareth>: Not for this one
18:56 <Leviticus>: Okay
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah, we kinda forgot that in the rush.
18:56 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 1 effort to hit
18:56 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, 1 effort to hit: 20
18:56 <Leviticus>: BOOYAH
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: What's your cinematic effect?
18:57 <Gareth>: Knockout
18:57 <Gareth>: :p
18:57 <Skid_GMing>: He goes flat out on his back to your first punch of the fight, dazed.
18:57 <Gareth>: O.o
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: Eyeless Pete whoops with laughter.
18:58 <Leviticus>: Nice
18:58 <Leviticus>: It seems I've got in.
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: Knockdown is a perfectly valid pick, and that's the victory condition here. =p
18:58 <Leviticus>: So he does have eyes? =P
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: You don't see any eyes.
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: He is, however, a mage of some sort.
18:59 <Leviticus>: But he saw my punch...
18:59 Leviticus shrugs
18:59 Leviticus is now known as Joshua
19:00 <Joshua>: Since I'm undercover here
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: "Nice showing there." A voice behind you says. The tall, blond man steps into view. He is grinning broadly. "Seems you need more of a challenge."
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: On his back are strapped two greatsword of brilliant quality.
19:01 <Joshua>: Uh-oh, looks like I did too well xP
19:01 <Joshua>: Hmm... I assume there's no getting out of this, Skid?
19:01 <Skid_GMing>: "A quick duel with the blades, first to surrender out?"
19:03 <Skid_GMing>: Pete gives him a... look. "I wish you'd quit putting all the promising ones in the infirmary."
19:03 <Skid_GMing>: "We have to march within the week."
19:03 <Joshua>: "March?" I ask
19:05 <Skid_GMing>: "Aye, we have a job in the desert. Seems the empire has some changes coming." The blond man says, drawing both his greatswords. "More glory for the brave."
19:06 <Joshua>: "What do you say, Pete? I'm game if you are."
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: Joshua: "It's your hide, kid."
19:07 <Gareth>: Can I see this from where I've been idly standing around?
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:08 <Gareth>: K
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: You can have a front row seat if you want.
19:08 <Gareth>: Are people gathering to watch?
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:08 <Gareth>: Sure I casually join the crowd.
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: Almost all activity in the yard has stopped to watch this.
19:08 <Joshua>: Give me any help you can without getting caught, Gareth
19:08 <Gareth>: I can't do much in a swordfight
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: Joshua, make a roll to size up your opponent.
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: Intellect.
19:09 <Gareth>: But important to know: you got a new sword
19:09 <Joshua>: Skid told me
19:10 <Gareth>: Well it's light. You said you had a medium earlier
19:11 <Joshua>: Yeah, I have about four different swords now =P
19:11 <Gareth>: Well the new one is definitely your new primary
19:11 <Joshua>: Alright, I draw the Quickblade and hold the Thorn Shield
19:11 <Joshua>: !roll d20
19:11 <Dicebot>: Joshua: 19
19:11 <Skid_GMing>: You come ot the quick realizeation that this guy is the toughest fighter in the whole mercenary band and matches the dead or alive warrant you were given. He wears no armor, but has muscles that bulge beyond what seems humanely possible. He seems very light on his feet. Landing a blow might be difficult, and he seems fully prepared to use both swords at once.
19:12 <Joshua>: Still in Braced Defense, yeah?
19:13 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:13 <Joshua>: I wish I'd taken that upgrade that makes it +4
19:14 <Joshua>: Alright, then let's have it
19:14 <Skid_GMing>: Roll initative.
19:16 <Joshua>: !roll d20 1 effort to hit
19:16 <Dicebot>: Joshua, 1 effort to hit: 6
19:16 <Skid_GMing>: Remember to list your sword training as well, and the weapon light.
19:17 <Joshua>: Ah, specialized, light
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: And you were rolling init, not attack anyway. =p
19:17 <Gareth>: Light is an asset?
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:17 <Gareth>: That thing's too good
19:17 <Joshua>: I thought initiative was an attack?
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: No, it's to decide who goes first.
19:18 <Joshua>: Ah
19:18 <Joshua>: Well, one effort to getting that =P
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: It's good against anything with no armor.
19:19 <Joshua>: Yeah, cause with decent armor, someone could take both hits easily
19:19 <Joshua>: Because they count as separate
19:19 <Gareth>: True
19:20 <Olwen>: I lower my voice. "Why, surely there must be something that can be done. Hasn't anyone made a plan to drive them out?"
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a diplomacy check.
19:20 <Olwen>: !roll d20
19:20 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 5
19:20 <Olwen>: ;|
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: You want to put effort in that?
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: It might be a key roll forgathering info.
19:20 <Olwen>: Sure, I'll put an effort.
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: She looks around frightened. "We can't. They've taken hostages to the castle. My son is there. Please don't do anything that would get him hurt."
19:20 <Olwen>: "But surely you've sent for help?"
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen: "We did, but we haven't heard anything yet."
19:20 <Olwen>: "Who did you send for? The army?"
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen: "Yes. The Emperor can't simply ignore this, can he?"
19:20 <Olwen>: "Can I trust that you have no allegiance to the mercenaries?"
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a detect deception.
19:20 <Olwen>: Roll d20
19:20 <Olwen>: !roll d20
19:20 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 14
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: She looks at you oddly, as if second guessing if you're a mercenary spy yourself, and then whispers vehemently. "None."
19:20 <Olwen>: "In that case, I come from the Ember Patrol. I am scouting out the town in preperation for winning back the city. If you would be so kind as to give me some information on the mercenaries I would appreciate it greatly."
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: She relaxes a little and motions for you to come with her.
19:20 <Olwen>: I follow.
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, as a initative roll Blondie goes first, and he comes at you with both greatswords swung overhead. Roll to dodge.
19:21 <Joshua>: How high do I need?
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: High.
19:21 <Joshua>: So, level 5-6?
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: Give it a roll and find out.
19:21 <Joshua>: !roll d20 trained 1 effort
19:21 <Dicebot>: Joshua, trained 1 effort: 4
19:21 <Joshua>: That would be speed, yeah?
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:22 <Joshua>: Well, no speed efforts left now
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: You're hit by the force of both swords, each dealing 7 damage. Your turn.
19:22 <Joshua>: Oiiii
19:23 <Gareth>: Yeah...
19:23 <Joshua>: !roll d20 specialized light 1 effort
19:23 <Dicebot>: Joshua, specialized light 1 effort: 4
19:23 <Joshua>: That's a level 6 blow =P
19:23 <Joshua>: I hope it hits...
19:24 <Joshua>: Er... Level 5
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: This guy is incredibly fast, just dodging the strike.
19:24 <Joshua>: Dang it
19:24 <Gareth>: I thought you were out of speed effort
19:25 <Joshua>: I got a skill that converts melee actions to might
19:25 <Skid_GMing>: Melee attacks.
19:25 <Skid_GMing>: He comes around agian, swinging a greatsword at your midsection.
19:25 <Joshua>: !roll d20 trained
19:25 <Dicebot>: Joshua, trained: 12
19:26 <Joshua>: Level 5 dodge, but it's not enough, right?
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: Nope, you take 7 damage, but the second greatsword misses you, granting an opening for your thorn shield to lash out and rake across his arm.
19:27 <Joshua>: =D
19:27 <Skid_GMing>: Your go.
19:27 <Joshua>: !roll d20 specialized light 1 effort
19:27 <Dicebot>: Joshua, specialized light 1 effort: 17
19:27 <Joshua>: Yeesssssss
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: That's a hit. You jab him with your rapier and search for another opening. Roll.
19:28 <Joshua>: Does the effort have to go to hit?
19:28 <Joshua>: Or is it damage?
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: No.
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: Either.
19:28 <Joshua>: I mean, does it hit without the effort
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: If you've declared it for to hit you can't switch it.
19:29 <Joshua>: I'll call it damage, he can't be Level 9
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you're supposed to declare it before the attack.
19:29 <Joshua>: Fine, whatever
19:30 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth: make a perception check.
19:30 <Joshua>: Call it hit, I don't want to be cheating
19:30 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:30 <Skid_GMing>: Roll your second attack.
19:31 <Joshua>: !roll d20 specialized light 1 effort to damage
19:31 <Dicebot>: Joshua, specialized light 1 effort to damage: 2
19:31 <Joshua>: Aaaaand I miss
19:31 <Olwen>: Somehow I don't think you'll win.
19:31 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
19:31 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 10
19:31 <Joshua>: Alright, if his next attack connects, I surrender
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: Yup. Blondie brings his greatswords crashing down at you again. One of them strikes for 7 damage, but yet again he leaves an opening for the thorns to rake his skin.
19:32 <Joshua>: Wait, no chance to dodge?
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: Oh, sorry, I mistook Gareth's roll for your dodge.
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: Roll your dodge.
19:32 <Joshua>: !roll d20 trained
19:32 <Dicebot>: Joshua, trained: 13
19:33 <Joshua>: I should specialize my dodge next chance I get
19:33 <Joshua>: Same outcome, right?
19:34 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, the description still stands.
19:34 <Joshua>: How's he look?
19:34 <Joshua>: He's taken 9 damage, right?
19:34 <Joshua>: So same as me
19:34 <Skid_GMing>: He looks a bit roughed up, but he's deeply enjoying this.
19:34 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth: You feel the air become dry and magicless as a hooded woman in light fabric armor joins the circle of watchers. You feel as if spellcasting would be chokingly difficult.
19:35 <Gareth>: I have nothing to cast; but good to know.
19:35 <Joshua>: I feel like this mission keeps getting more impossible
19:35 <Joshua>: Alright, do I have to surrender on my turn, or can I surrender if my attack misses?
19:36 <Joshua>: Cuz I don't want to take any more damage
19:36 <Skid_GMing>: Talking is a free action, you can do it whenever.
19:36 <Joshua>: Okay
19:36 <Joshua>: !roll d20 specialized light 1 effort to hit
19:36 <Dicebot>: Joshua, specialized light 1 effort to hit: 11
19:36 <Skid_GMing>: You'll just have to trust his good graces to actually stop.
19:36 <Joshua>: That's Level 7
19:36 <Skid_GMing>: You hit him again.
19:36 <Joshua>: =D
19:37 <Joshua>: !roll d20 specialized light 1 effort to hit
19:37 <Dicebot>: Joshua, specialized light 1 effort to hit: 7
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: This cut is fairly deep, and he feels it.
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: And you hit him again.
19:37 <Joshua>: Yessss
19:37 <Joshua>: So he's a Level 6
19:38 <Joshua>: Good to know
19:38 <Gareth>: This math isn't making sense to me at all
19:39 <Joshua>: I have four assets
19:39 <Gareth>: What's the fourth?
19:39 <Joshua>: 2 for specialized, 1 for light, and 1 for effort
19:39 <Gareth>: Aha right
19:39 <Gareth>: That's better
19:39 <Skid_GMing>: He pulls back after this, using one blade to shield himself while attacking with the other.
19:39 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a dodge.
19:39 <Joshua>: !roll d20 trained
19:39 <Dicebot>: Joshua, trained: 17
19:39 <Joshua>: YES
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: Perception checks from both of you.
19:40 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
19:40 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 10
19:40 <Joshua>: !roll d20
19:40 <Dicebot>: Joshua: 3
19:41 <Skid_GMing>: And Levi: you're getting a bonus XP. GM intervention.
19:41 <Gareth>: Uh oh
19:41 <Skid_GMing>: As you dodge you feel something wrap around your ankle and you fall backwards to the ground.
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: Your turn.
19:43 <Joshua>: Do I know what pulled me down?
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: Not with that perception check, no.
19:43 <Joshua>: I assume Blondie has one of his friends helping him
19:43 <Gareth>: What about mine?
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: You don't see anything.
19:43 <Gareth>: Oh
19:44 <Gareth>: I thought that was pretty good
19:44 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you see a movement next to his foot, but don't see anything else.
19:45 <Joshua>: Hm... give me a minute to consider this
19:46 <Olwen>: Well...
19:46 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, Olwen: She leads you to the back of the backery, and upstairs to their simple living quarters.
19:47 <Olwen>: I glance around to make sure it's not a trap.
19:47 <Skid_GMing>: Roll perception.
19:47 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
19:47 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 1
19:47 <Olwen>: Oh, come on..
19:48 <Olwen>: At least it wasn't too important.
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: Well. "Is it trap." is a fairly important question.
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: But you don't see anything trap-like on your way up.
19:48 <Olwen>: OK
19:49 <Joshua>: Skid, I assume my defense is broken?
19:49 <Skid_GMing>: It is.
19:49 <Joshua>: And getting up is a full turn?
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: Normally, yes.
19:50 <Joshua>: Hm... can I stand while swiping behind me?
19:50 <Joshua>: It's not a very complicated multi-task
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: I'll go with yes, but it'll be an incredibly innaccurate attack.
19:50 <Joshua>: Hm, I'm scared I'll hit someone other than the interferer
19:50 <Joshua>: And just intensify this fight
19:50 <Gareth>: Are there anti-assets in this system? Like disadvantage in D&D
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:50 <Gareth>: Good
19:50 <Gareth>: I thought there must be
19:50 <Joshua>: Do I still feel something on my ankle?
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: You don't.
19:50 <Joshua>: Alright, I stand and move away from the crowd, in the hopes that will prevent another interference
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: "Can you rescue my son? He's only a boy."
19:51 <Olwen>: "We will. But can you give us some information on the merceneries? How many there are, where the headquartes are, stuff like that?"
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: "They have him at the castle. Working the forges. Has to sleep up in the stables. I'm so afraid someone is going to start something and then they'll hang him as punishment."
19:51 <Olwen>: "I will make sure he is found when we retake the castle. But do you know of any back entrances, or weaknesses or anything like that? We have to know if we'll be fighting."
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: She collects herself a little. "They're all in the castle. More of them every day. Almost 70 by now. Led by a tall man named Cyrus. Thinks he's the emperor."
19:53 <Gareth>: 70???
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: You're in the middle of a small army.
19:53 <Gareth>: Ursa didn't make it sound that bad
19:53 <Joshua>: So you mean I can't move away from the crowd?
19:53 <Gareth>: That was directed at me, I think
19:53 <Joshua>: Ah
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: Well, there's a decent circle around you. Plenty of space to avoid getting hit by a greatsword.
19:53 <Olwen>: "Thank you. Do they keep watch at night?"
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: "They hardly bother. A couple guards on the walls, and they close the gates."
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: "The high ranking ones get to sleep in the tower."
19:54 <Olwen>: "Do they close the gates on the castle?"
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: "Yes."
19:56 <Olwen>: "Thank you, that will be most helpful. One more thing. Did they take many others besides your son to work in the castle?"
19:56 <Skid_GMing>: "Yes. Maybe a dozen they got cooking and cleaning for them."
19:57 <Olwen>: "Great. I should go continue scouting the city. Thanks for your help."
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: "Please be careful."
19:57 <Olwen>: "I will. Thank you very much."
19:57 <Olwen>: I leave the building.
19:57 <Joshua>: Alright, I go ahead with the action I described, then
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
19:57 <Joshua>: I have to roll for standing up? =[
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: The move above or the move above that?
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: If you're just standing, no.
19:57 <Joshua>: <Joshua> Alright, I stand and move away from the crowd, in the hopes that will prevent another interference
19:58 <Joshua>: Hm... one more hit without Braced Defense and my might pool is empty
19:59 <Skid_GMing>: Well, he's coming at you again, swinging.
19:59 <Joshua>: I think it's time to cheat
20:00 <Gareth>: Get rebraced
20:00 <Joshua>: I can't do that and stand, right?
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: Not in the same action.
20:00 <Joshua>: And to stay down means automatic hit, right?
20:01 <Skid_GMing>: Just a harder time dodging.
20:01 <Joshua>: I already have to get a 15 dodge roll, 18 is nigh impossible
20:02 <Joshua>: Can I make an animal action and rebrace?
20:02 <Skid_GMing>: Instead of standing up? Okay.
20:03 <Joshua>: If I summon an animal behind him, it's an automatic hit, right? Surprise?
20:03 <Skid_GMing>: Not automatic. It gets some assets for surprise though.
20:04 <Joshua>: Hm... How many more points do I have to take off him?
20:04 <Skid_GMing>: About as many as are off him now.
20:05 <Skid_GMing>: At least, to be absolutely sure.
20:05 <Joshua>: Ugh, 18 more?
20:05 <Skid_GMing>: You're attempting to solo the boss.
20:06 <Joshua>: In that case, I surrender
20:06 <Gareth>: Wait
20:06 <Joshua>: I put up a good fight, I don't want to die
20:06 <Gareth>: Can I push without being noticed?
20:06 <Gareth>: That's the only thing I can maybe do without overtly joining in.
20:06 <Joshua>: There's that magic-dulling lady, remember?
20:06 <Gareth>: ...no I didn't.
20:06 <Skid_GMing>: You can, but you feel as if your magic is being dampened right now.
20:07 <Gareth>: So you can't call your pets then either?
20:07 <Joshua>: oooh, that's a good point. Skid?
20:08 <Skid_GMing>: Joshua hasn't actually noticed the dampening, so... I can't answer that.
20:08 <Joshua>: Like I said, I surrender
20:08 <Gareth>: Well you put up a good show, shouldn't be any loss of respect if you have to give in. He expected you to anyway.
20:09 <Joshua>: Plus I might've won if not for the intrusion
20:09 <Joshua>: He actually took more damage than me
20:09 <Skid_GMing>: The blond man is delighted by this turn of events. He slaps you on the back.
20:09 <Skid_GMing>: "Good fighting. I see we'll have to pay you well."
20:10 <Gareth>: Very good
20:10 <Gareth>: I have to go
20:10 Gareth quit
20:10 <Joshua>: That's about as good an outcome as I can expe
20:10 <Skid_GMing>: "I'm Cyrus, but of course you've heard of me."
20:10 <Joshua>: (Have I, Skid?)
20:10 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a general knowledge check.
20:10 <Skid_GMing>: All right. We'll call that a session. 2 XP each, and one to give away. Plus 1 to Woody for facing down the boss himself and his cheating friends.
20:10 <Olwen>: OK, good.
20:10 <Joshua>: !roll d20
20:10 <Dicebot>: Joshua: 20
20:11 <Joshua>: Does that mean I know his full name? xP
20:11 <Joshua>: And his mother too?
20:11 <Skid_GMing>: heh.
20:11 <Skid_GMing>: Not a combat action, but a good roll.
20:12 <Joshua>: "Indeed, your reputation precedes you. I must say I'm impressed, I've not had a fight so intense before."
20:13 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah, you've heard of him. Besides that he killed a member of the Ember Patrol over a minor dispute, you know that he's been leading a small band of mercenaries for a long time. He also has an enormous ego which is weak against flattery.
20:13 <Joshua>: Well, I said the right thing then
20:13 <Skid_GMing>: Cyrus is his real name. He's from outside the borders of the Empire.
20:14 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you're starting out above average pay grade. Next week we'll have to test Gareth's mage skills if he wants to join as well.
20:15 <Olwen>: How many common coins are in a noble again?
20:15 <Skid_GMing>: 100.
20:15 <Olwen>: Great. Now I have 99 commons and a loaf of bread.
20:15 <Joshua>: Do I heal at all?
20:15 <Joshua>: I'm pretty hugely damaged
20:15 <Joshua>: Might: 5/16 Speed: 2/8 Intellect: 2/10
20:16 <Skid_GMing>: It'll be about at least an hour before anything interesting happens. You can take any healing checks shorter than that.
20:16 <Skid_GMing>: Or rather, of that length or shorter.
20:16 <Joshua>: Alright, I'll use my one hour first
20:16 <Joshua>: !roll d6+1
20:16 <Dicebot>: Joshua: 6:5+1
20:17 <Joshua>: Hmm... How to distribute...?
20:17 <Joshua>: 2 to speed, the rest to might
20:18 <Joshua>: I'll use my 10 minute too
20:18 <Joshua>: !roll d6+1
20:18 <Dicebot>: Joshua: 5:4+1
20:19 <Joshua>: All to might
20:19 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
20:19 <Joshua>: Also, what do I call that Speed to Might skill?
20:21 <Skid_GMing>: I think I had it as something like "Brutal Beatdown".
20:33 <Joshua>: Well, that was a fun session
20:34 <Olwen>: Yeah.
20:34 <Olwen>: I think I may have done something useful.
20:35 <Skid_GMing>: You may have.
20:35 <Olwen>: ...maaaaybe...
20:35 <Olwen>: Anyway, I'm off.
20:35 <Olwen>: Goodnight, all.
20:35 Olwen quit

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:41 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
User avatar
The man that stops the monsters

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Posts: 5102
Age: 101

Cash: 2,130.00
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
I give my XP to bookworm for his work in the fortress.

_________________
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:42 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar

Birthday

Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14127
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 636.88
Bank: 55,000.00
Mercenary Occupation, Session 3 of 8
Continued from Part 1, Part 2, Continued by Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8
We need an assault force. Mercenaries have seized a mountain town and taken hostages. Route the mercenaries and retake the town.
Quote:
17:55 bookworm is now known as Gareth
17:56 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
17:56 Woody is now known as Leviticus
17:56 <Skid_GMing>: All right. When we left off, Olwen had just finished talking to Rose the bakery owner, and learned that villagers were being held in the castle to prevent the villagers from trying anything. Leviticus had just been recruited to the mercenary band as an elite fighter. And Gareth was about to be tested on his magical prowess.
17:56 <Olwen>: Ooh...
17:56 <Gareth>: I was? :o
17:56 <Skid_GMing>: Yes. It's your turn to apply for a job.
17:57 <Gareth>: Oh I wasn't thinking of doing that, that was Levi's angle. I can though.
17:57 <Skid_GMing>: Well, everyone arround was assuming that that was what you were here to do.
17:58 <Skid_GMing>: Eyeless Pete turns to you. "So you fancy yourself a spellcaster, eh? What do you have to offer?"
17:58 <Leviticus>: Maybe my beating discouraged him?
17:58 <Leviticus>: =P
17:58 <Gareth>: Did I hear that remark about them shipping out?
17:58 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
17:58 <Gareth>: Okay then yeah I want in to back up Levi.
17:59 <Leviticus>: I wish they had let us fight Cyrus together
17:59 <Gareth>: The magic choker is still here?
17:59 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
17:59 <Gareth>: That will be fun for me then.
18:00 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a magical knowledge check.
18:00 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized effort
18:00 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized effort: 2
18:01 <Skid_GMing>: Ah, you can't get much of a read on the hooded woman's abilities. She seems to be dampening magic in an area around herself.
18:02 <Gareth>: "I have some experience with elemental spells. Electricity specifically."
18:03 <Leviticus>: Am I still talking with Cyrus?
18:03 <Skid_GMing>: Levi: yes.
18:03 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth: Eyeless Pete gestures to her. "I tell you what. If you can prevent our mage killer here from landing a blow on you for 30 seconds, you've got a job."
18:04 Leviticus is now known as Joshua
18:04 <Skid_GMing>: "Sparky, you go to the gate. Trisha, you start at the tower."
18:05 <Joshua>: "So, what do I do now?"
18:06 <Skid_GMing>: Joshua: "We drink to a good fight, and glory before us! Come, there's still some of the good stuff in the tower."
18:06 <Joshua>: I follow him to the tower
18:06 <Joshua>: That was where the high rankers hang out, right?
18:07 <Joshua>: Goal: Get him drunk
18:07 <Joshua>: Goal #2: Don't get too drunk myself
18:07 <Joshua>: xP
18:07 <Skid_GMing>: The entrance hallway of the tower has been reowrked into a sort of big tavern, with makeshift tables from barrels and planks, and kegs scattered haphazardly around.
18:07 <Gareth>: I see, I made sure you fared alright but you leave me with a self described killer.
18:08 <Joshua>: How am I supposed to help...?
18:08 <Joshua>: Plus, it's just a tryout, not an actual life-or-death situation
18:08 <Gareth>: You can't help, but you could at least witness my perhaps final moments.
18:08 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth: The hooded woman walks to the far end of the yard, waiting for you to take your position as well.
18:09 <Joshua>: I suppose I'll leave my poodle on the shadowpaths nearby the fight
18:09 <Joshua>: And tell him to jump in if necessary
18:10 <Joshua>: What kind of animal handling roll will that need, Skid?
18:10 <Skid_GMing>: If you just want it to idle there? No need for a roll.
18:11 <Joshua>: Really? I assumed a "go in if it gets bad" would be a difficult command
18:11 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, the jumping in command might be more difficult. Make a rool.
18:12 <Joshua>: If this command fails, I don't want him there at all, I don't wanna blow my cover
18:12 <Gareth>: What exactly am I supposed to do?
18:12 <Joshua>: Use your specialized dodging, I'd imagine
18:12 <Skid_GMing>: You're supposed to avoid getting hit.
18:12 <Gareth>: How does that determine my spellcasting ability though?
18:12 <Skid_GMing>: It's being assumed that you have spells to defend yourself with?
18:12 <Gareth>: I can't use magic...?
18:12 <Joshua>: !roll d20
18:12 <Dicebot>: Joshua: 16
18:12 <Skid_GMing>: Your command suceeds.
18:12 <Joshua>: Yay =D
18:12 <Joshua>: There, you have backup, Gareth
18:12 <Joshua>: So, back to the tavern, then
18:12 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth, your fight arena is about 150 feet across, enclosed by the walls of the castle. On one side it is open yard, on the other, dense cover is given by the makeshift tents.
18:13 <Skid_GMing>: You can use magic. In fact, as the woman walks away you notice that the supression effect melts away also.
18:13 <Gareth>: Very well then
18:14 <Skid_GMing>: "Ready?" asks Eyeless Pete.
18:14 <Gareth>: "I suppose."
18:14 <Skid_GMing>: "Good luck, kid. Go."
18:14 <Skid_GMing>: Roll initative.
18:15 <Gareth>: !roll d20
18:15 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 8
18:15 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, the woman rushes towards you across the yard, covering 50 feet and leaving 100 between you. Your turn.
18:16 <Gareth>: I'm supposed to fight? Or just duck?
18:17 <Skid_GMing>: You're supposed to demonstrate your abilities.
18:17 <Gareth>: Can I tell if she's trying to come in for a physical attack, or if she's going to shoot at me?
18:18 <Gareth>: I assume the former if she's closing
18:18 <Skid_GMing>: She doesn't appear to be equiped with a projectile weapon.
18:18 <Gareth>: I put up a force wall in her path.
18:19 <Joshua>: How many seconds is each turn?
18:19 <Skid_GMing>: About 5ish.
18:19 <Skid_GMing>: Force wall at what range?
18:21 <Skid_GMing>: Right in her face or close to you?
18:22 <Gareth>: Oh I can't reach her yet.
18:22 <Gareth>: I cast distort space then.
18:23 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, she keeps running towards you, closing another 50 feet. Your turn.
18:24 <Gareth>: How far can I move in a turn?
18:25 <Skid_GMing>: You think you could almost match speed with her.
18:26 <Gareth>: I want to move back roughly 20 feet then.
18:26 <Gareth>: Will that take my full turn?
18:27 <Skid_GMing>: Backing up would be leaving the castle.
18:27 <Gareth>: Oh I'm dumb.
18:28 <Skid_GMing>: And yes, it would.
18:28 <Gareth>: ...oh I'm also screwed then.
18:28 <Gareth>: Plans a and b both shot
18:28 <Skid_GMing>: Why?
18:29 <Gareth>: Plan b because I thought of it too late; not enough turns to prepare now.
18:29 <Gareth>: Plan a because I apparently misunderstood the terrain and now can't do the next step
18:30 <Gareth>: I guess I put up a wall 25 feet out.
18:30 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
18:31 <Gareth>: That should still accomplish more or less the same thing, as going around would stop her short this turn
18:31 <Skid_GMing>: She hits the wall and it shimmers and partially disolves as she pushes her way through. She's stopped at 25 feet away. Your turn.
18:32 <Gareth>: Yeah okay, or going through :p
18:32 <Gareth>: I force push her
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: Oh, you're noticing the edge of her dampening field at this range.
18:34 <Gareth>: Now, effort to this is designated to increase knockback distance. Does that mean there's no way (or need?) to make it more accurate, it just suceeds or doesn't?
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: You can apply effort as usual to make it more accurate, I think.
18:35 <Gareth>: Okay, what determines how much is needed for success? Enemy level?
18:36 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:36 <Gareth>: Okay.. If she can power through the wall it's not going to be possible to connect then
18:37 <Gareth>: So I'll just put up another wall
18:37 <Skid_GMing>: Just sandwich her between the two walls? Or stick it close to you?
18:38 <Gareth>: I wish I understood better what was going on from the begining, I could have won >_>
18:39 <Skid_GMing>: You can also boost the strength of the walls with effort.
18:39 <Gareth>: How far has she come past the first? Is she still right at it because she slowed to push through?
18:39 <Skid_GMing>: She just got through it.
18:39 <Skid_GMing>: So yeah, it's right at her back.
18:40 <Gareth>: Okay then let's try putting it 'right' in her face, yeah
18:41 <Skid_GMing>: And any boost on the wall strength?
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
18:43 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 16
18:43 <Gareth>: If she gets through it won't make a difference (the aim (my only chance) is to slow her down) so might as well
18:43 <Gareth>: If it doesn't make a difference it's a waste, but if it does it's the only way I succeed
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: what's your effort cap?
18:44 <Gareth>: 1
18:44 <Skid_GMing>: Ah.
18:44 <Gareth>: Which is all I'd do anyway. Not going to use half my pool putting up a wall.
18:45 <Gareth>: Especially when it's not going to help in the long run. Only does anything if she tries going through. Going around she still closes the gap from here, since it's only a ten foot detour
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: She has more trouble shoving through this time, only making it 10 feet towards you and zagging off to the side.
18:45 <Olwen>: ((By the way, during all of this I'm heading towards the castle, if possible))
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: We can say you reach the castle roughly around now.
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: There's a crowd of mercenaries at the gate looking in.
18:46 <Joshua>: So, Tower/tavern
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah: hold on that until this fight is done.
18:47 <Gareth>: It won't be long >_>
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: It's your turn. Want to try anything?
18:47 <Gareth>: I now can't use magic?
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: You need to hold out 2 more turns.
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: You can use magic. It's just harder.
18:49 <Gareth>: She's 15 feet away right?
18:49 <Gareth>: Oh doesn't matter, I can't move
18:49 <Gareth>: I screwed this up so bad
18:49 <Skid_GMing>: You can move.
18:50 <Gareth>: ..Why couldn't I earlier?
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: I just said that retreating would put you out out the gate.
18:51 <Gareth>: Is that out of bounds?
18:51 <Skid_GMing>: It wasn't explicitely stated, but the gateway is full of spectators.
18:52 <Gareth>: Well I can only hold for one more turn, so it doesn't matter what I do
18:52 <Gareth>: Only one possible way
18:52 <Gareth>: I try to push her
18:53 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
18:53 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort
18:53 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort: 18
18:54 <Skid_GMing>: By some miracle, that's a hit. You grab her in a fist of force and throw her backwards to the ground.
18:54 <Skid_GMing>: She rolls to her feet 45 feet away. Your turn.
18:54 <Skid_GMing>: Sorry, 35 feet away.
18:54 <Gareth>: Oh my gosh I forgot she was choking me!
18:54 <Gareth>: That never should have worked! X_X
18:55 <Skid_GMing>: You hit at level 7. Exactly what you needed with her suppressing you.
18:55 <Gareth>: O.O
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: So, you just need her to not hit you next turn.
18:56 <Gareth>: Is she all the way back on her feet?
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: She used her turn to stand up.
18:57 <Gareth>: Is my net considered a projectile for distort space?
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:58 <Gareth>: How does using that work then? You said launch it with a push but not what the mechanic is. Is it an attack?
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: Yes. It's an attack.
18:59 <Gareth>: What does it cost?
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: Same as casting push normally.
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: You've just got a net in it.
18:59 <Gareth>: Oh yeah that makes sense.
19:00 <Gareth>: Okay is she still in hampering range? Should be just out right?
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: If you use your free 10 foot move forward you can hit her with it.
19:01 <Gareth>: Automatically?
19:01 <Gareth>: Oh you mean for push range
19:01 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah, in terms of range.
19:02 <Gareth>: Is that going to put me back in choking range though?
19:02 <Skid_GMing>: On the edge of it.
19:02 <Gareth>: So there's no way that would succeed
19:03 <Gareth>: Distort would cancel it out, leaving a still level 6
19:03 <Gareth>: So...
19:04 <Gareth>: I put up a final wall, a couple feet in front of her.
19:05 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, she runs around it, and is just closing on you and drawing her dagger when Pete shouts "TIME!"
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: She sldies to a stop, sheathes her weapon, and wordlessly stalks back towards the tower.
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: The crowd of spectators cheers, a little nervously.
19:07 <Gareth>: Wait, push knocked her *back* 35 feet, but I was 15 feet back, so she landed a net 45 back from me right?
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: You're right.
19:07 <Gareth>: Okay good to know
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: But it works out. She can move 50 feet, but can't attack on the same turn.
19:08 <Olwen>: Can I see all of this happening?
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: Given your abilties, you can get yourself a vantage point.
19:10 <Olwen>: Ooh.
19:10 <Skid_GMing>: "Looks like a we have a new mage. Let's get you settled in."
19:10 <Olwen>: Maybe I should join too.
19:11 <Olwen>: I enter the courtyard.
19:11 <Jeremiah>: Mmmm, after your encounter at the tavern, I'd say it would be best to lie low
19:11 <Jeremiah>: Plus, having someone that can leave without being noticed is a good thing
19:12 <Olwen>: True, but why do we need someone to leave?
19:12 <Jeremiah>: To contact our team on the outside
19:12 <Olwen>: ...right.
19:12 <Gareth>: We set up a signal for that
19:12 <Gareth>: We light something on fire right? :P
19:12 <Olwen>: Skid, have fireworks been invented?
19:12 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:13 <Olwen>: Do they sell them here?
19:13 <Olwen>: In the city, I mean.
19:14 <Skid_GMing>: I'm not sure. Roll a search check.
19:14 <Olwen>: I think I would be more usefull if I joined to, having more access to the castle and all that
19:14 <Olwen>: !roll d20
19:14 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 16
19:15 <Skid_GMing>: Yes. You mmanage to find a vendor who deals in exotic fireworks. You can get firecrackers for a few coppers or a big rocket for 5 nobles.
19:15 <Jeremiah>: You also might lose your baker friend
19:16 <Gareth>: I don't think so; tell her you're going in to get the kid out.
19:16 <Olwen>: I don't need anything more from the baker at the moment.
19:17 <Olwen>: Can I have bought a big firework on the way here?
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: Sure.
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: You get a big red flare.
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: Joshua: as you're in the tower, you get a feeling for its basic layout. There are two main doors on the ground floor. One leads to the yard, the other leads to the blacksmith's workshop along the wall. Spiral stairs lead down to the dungeons and up into living quarters. The whole place has been stripped of valuables.
19:20 <Gareth>: I catch Olwen's eye as she enters on my way to wherever I'm bring led.
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: You're going into the tower.
19:21 <Olwen>: I see Gareth.
19:21 <Gareth>: Uh, that is I mean our eyes meet, discretely; not I do something to actually catch her eye, and everyone else's :p
19:21 <Olwen>: I realize that.
19:21 <Gareth>: Just making sure the GM does ;) I realized I didn't phrase it the best way
19:21 <Olwen>: Right, OK.
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: From the outside the tower appears about three stories tall, with slit windows and a parapet at the top.
19:21 <Gareth>: I proceed to the tower.
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: The second floor connects to the tops of the walls by doorways.
19:22 <Olwen>: Is there anywhere I can stash this flare where it won't be seen?
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: You can stick it in your pack.
19:23 <Olwen>: Game logic, I guess no-one will notice me carrying around a big firework.
19:23 <Olwen>: :P
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: It's not that huge. It would go inside your quiver without much trouble.
19:24 <Olwen>: Is Pete still around?
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: Eyeless Pete is walking to the tower with Gareth.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: The crowds of spectators are dispersing to their regular training and work.
19:26 <Jeremiah>: I ask Cyrus where he got his blades
19:26 <Jeremiah>: Just to make small talk
19:26 <Jeremiah>: And maybe score one like it for myself =P
19:27 <Skid_GMing>: "Fight in the southern isles. Took them off a pair of pirate twins when they picked the wrong ship to board."
19:27 <Olwen>: I try to catch up to Eyeless Pete. "Have you any need for an archer in this army of yours?"
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: Eyeless Pete stops and turns around. "An archer? I suppose we could make use of you."
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: He reaches out a hand and a brick leaps from the ground to hover above it. His hand turns into a fist and the stone shoots up into the sky. "Shoot that."
19:30 <Olwen>: How high up is it?
19:30 <Skid_GMing>: It'll peak around 200 feet before falling back down.
19:31 <Olwen>: Can I use Flurry of Strikes and hit it multiple times?
19:31 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:32 <Olwen>: OK, I do that.
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
19:32 <Olwen>: Do I roll for it seperately from the initial archery shot?
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: No.
19:33 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized , Flurry of Strikes
19:33 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized , Flurry of Strikes: 9
19:33 <Olwen>: -_-
19:33 <Olwen>: Aww. that's not very good.
19:34 <Gareth>: Free effort right?
19:34 <Skid_GMing>: You fire a hail of arrows into the sky, splintering three against the brick before it drops into Eyeless Pete's hand.
19:34 <Olwen>: OK, that works.
19:34 <Skid_GMing>: He grunts and says "Not bad, not bad. Come on in, let's get you set up."
19:35 <Olwen>: OK, I follow.
19:36 <Skid_GMing>: Each of you is provided with fabric patches wih the Scythian emblem on them, 5 Nobles in starting pay, and free access to the castle and first floor of the tower.
19:37 <Olwen>: Oohh, do we know where the villagers/hostages are being kept?
19:38 <Skid_GMing>: If you walk around, you'll find four of them working in the tavern on the main floor, two, including Rose's son working in the blacksmith's workshop, and find out the remaining 6 are in the dungeon awaiting their work shifts.
19:39 <Skid_GMing>: Joshua gets a private room on the second floor, but the door to the third floor is locked and barred. Commanders only.
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: Commanders being Cyrus and Eyeless Pete.
19:40 <Olwen>: Do the work shifts keep going at night?
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: Only the tavern.
19:40 <Olwen>: OK, what is the closest route from the dungeon to the tavern?
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: Huh.
19:41 <Skid_GMing>: You go down the stairs inside the tower to reach the kitchens and below them the two cells that make up the dungeon.
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: The door to the dungeon is also locked, however. And has a guard posted on it.
19:43 <Olwen>: How often do the shifts change?
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: "Every 6 hours, or whenever Dave remembers to get down here."
19:44 <Olwen>: Heh.
19:44 <Skid_GMing>: "Could you go tell that slob to get down here already?"
19:44 <Olwen>: "I think I could do that."
19:44 <Skid_GMing>: "Thanks."
19:45 <Olwen>: Ooook, I go to find Dave then.
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a search check?
19:45 <Olwen>: !roll d20
19:45 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 18
19:46 <Olwen>: :D
19:46 <Skid_GMing>: You find Dave, a portly looking, poorly shaven guy, sleeping on a bench at the back of the tavern.
19:47 <Olwen>: I try waking him up by shaking him.
19:47 <Skid_GMing>: "Uhwazaaugh." He says, before rolling off the bench and under the table.
19:47 <Olwen>: Is he awake?
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: He tries to stand up and hits his head hard enough to make the dishes dance.
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: "Auugh. What do yah want?"
19:48 <Olwen>: "I was told to tell you it's your watch in the dungeons."
19:50 <Olwen>: "So get down there, if you please."
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: "Fiiine." He crawls out. "Oh, oh no. I'm late. My keys. I need to get my armor on. Could you be a pal and grab my keys, I think they're out in my tent. It's the grey one with red patches."
19:50 <Olwen>: "Sure, I'll be right back"
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: He shuffles off towards the blacksmith's.
19:51 <Olwen>: I go to the tent to get his keys.
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: You go to his tent and after some shuffling through his stuff find the keys under his bedroll.
19:51 <Olwen>: What sort of keys are they?
19:52 <Skid_GMing>: They're hefty, old looking iron keys. Three of them, to be exact.
19:52 <Skid_GMing>: On a ring.
19:52 <Olwen>: Hmm.
19:52 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a lockpicking knowledge check?
19:52 <Olwen>: !roll d20 trained
19:52 <Dicebot>: Olwen, trained: 3
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm, not going to get more info than that.
19:54 <Olwen>: I take the keys back to Dave.
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: Dave takes them gratefully, "I owe you one, pal." He heads to the dungeon to have a shouting match with the guard whom he was supposed to replace half an hour ago.
19:55 <Olwen>: Alright.
19:55 <Joshua>: I ask about medical care for my wounds
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: Cyrus calls for a shrivelled old woman to come down and tend to them.
19:55 <Joshua>: BTW, I presume my poodle has returned to me?
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: With medical care, you recover 5 pool points.
19:55 <Gareth>: How can I treat my intellect?
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: Well, there's recovery rolls.
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: But I suppose techincally medical care can be appleid in the same way.
19:56 <Gareth>: Levi gets free healing just because it's wounds? :noway:
19:56 <Joshua>: Can I take back one of my heal rolls from last time, Skid?
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: If you used it, not really.
19:57 <Joshua>: Okay
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: And yes, your poodle is back with you.
19:58 <Joshua>: Can I apply some of this to my other pools, then? Cuz I'm only missing 2 might
19:58 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:58 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth: and he just impressed everyone by fighting Cyrus almost to a standstill.
19:59 <Gareth>: I could have done that too
19:59 <Olwen>: Maybe, but they haven't seen it.
19:59 <Gareth>: My test wasn't offensive
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: Yes, but it didn't happen, so that's not what they remember.
20:01 <Skid_GMing>: The tone in the tavern grows wilder as the evening continues. Drunken singing, minor brawls, and gambling break out.
20:01 <Gareth>: I join a card game
20:01 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you looking for a chance to go up against anyone in particular?
20:02 <Skid_GMing>: The hooded woman is at one of the card tables.
20:02 <Olwen>: Is the guard that was watching the dungeon before in the tavern?
20:02 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
20:02 <Skid_GMing>: Also playing cards.
20:02 <Gareth>: Nope, just want to pass the time. Maybe get a little extra money.
20:03 <Olwen>: Does the dungeon Guard still have his keys on him?
20:03 <Skid_GMing>: Yes, he has a set of keys on his belt as well.
20:03 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth: Roll a deception or intellect check for card playing, and say how high you're betting.
20:04 <Olwen>: Is he drunk at all?
20:04 <Skid_GMing>: Not yet.
20:04 <Olwen>: Is he drinking?
20:04 <Skid_GMing>: He's got a mug next to him.
20:04 <Olwen>: How much does alchahol cost?
20:04 <Skid_GMing>: And now Gareth sitting next to him as well.
20:05 <Skid_GMing>: Here? Nothing. They're freely raiding the castle's supply.
20:05 <Olwen>: I guess I wait a while to see if he gets drunk.
20:05 <Joshua>: Skid, how long does it take for heals to recharge?
20:05 <Skid_GMing>: They recharge when you sleep.
20:05 <Joshua>: kk
20:05 <Joshua>: I just need enough Intellect to re-mark the dogs tomorrow
20:05 <Gareth>: Not high, 15 nobles max; reinvest my winnings from last time I played
20:05 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort
20:05 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort: 12
20:05 <Joshua>: "Speaking of which, I don't suppose I get some extra cash for that show back there?" I ask, casually
20:06 <Skid_GMing>: Cyrus raises an eyebrow at your suggestion. "Getting confident, are you? I'll tell you what. When you're battle proven, I'll cut you in for a half commander's share of the spoils."
20:07 <Skid_GMing>: "A commnder gets 10 parts. You'll get 5 parts. A common bruiser gets 1 part."
20:07 <Joshua>: "Fair enough. When will I have the opportunity to prove myself?"
20:08 <Skid_GMing>: "We're marching in a few days. Have a desert fortress to take out. Getting paid by the emperor himself."
20:08 <Gareth>: Bingo
20:08 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth: you increase your winnings, turning 15 nobles into 25.
20:09 <Gareth>: Nice
20:09 <Joshua>: OOC: I'm really enjoying this mission, it's giving each of us the opportunity to play to our strengths
20:09 <Gareth>: Not really, my strength is zapping
20:09 <Gareth>: But yeah, it's neat
20:10 <Joshua2>: BTW, since I'll be sleeping soon, I'll use my 10H
20:10 <Joshua2>: !roll d6+1
20:10 <Dicebot>: Joshua2: 3:2+1
20:10 <Olwen>: Well, I haven't gotten my turn to shine yet, but it's cool.
20:11 <Gareth>: You had two impressive archery displays
20:11 <Olwen>: Firing at a basket of bread and a brick. How enthralling.
20:11 <Olwen>: But I'll get my turn later.
20:11 <Skid_GMing>: "A couple more jobs like this and I'll be ready to retire."
20:11 <Joshua>: (Should I be surprised the emperor is hiring us?)
20:12 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check.
20:12 <Joshua>: !roll d20
20:12 <Dicebot>: Joshua: 4
20:12 <Skid_GMing>: It's surprising, but you don't immediately put your finger on why.
20:14 <Skid_GMing>: The evening eventually winds down, people going off to sleep in tents or just passing out on the tables.
20:14 <Olwen>: What about the guard?
20:15 <Skid_GMing>: After playing cards, he heads for the outside door.
20:15 <Joshua>: "Retiring so soon? It seems to me you have the ability to do greater things. There are rumors you could even become the next emperor."
20:16 <Skid_GMing>: Cyrus throws back his head and roars with laughter. "You know I could be."
20:16 <Olwen>: Is Dave still guarding the dungeon?
20:16 <Skid_GMing>: Yes, Dave is.
20:16 <Olwen>: Anyone else?
20:17 <Skid_GMing>: There are a couple villagers in the kitchen, but he's the only one down at the door there.
20:18 <Olwen>: Is the kitchen connected to the Tavern? I'm a little confused on the layout.
20:18 <Joshua>: I'll join the cheapest card game, I suppose
20:18 <Skid_GMing>: There's a spiral staircase at the back of the tower that connects all the levels. Kitchen is one level down. Dungeon is two levels down.
20:19 <Olwen>: OK.
20:19 <Olwen>: Is there any rule against visiting the guy on watch?
20:19 <Skid_GMing>: No rule.
20:19 <Gareth>: Are we going to sleep?
20:19 <Skid_GMing>: If you want to. You're tired, but could stay up a few more hours.
20:19 <Gareth>: But will we be sleeping at some point? Then doing more tomorrow
20:19 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
20:20 <Gareth>: I use my 10min roll then
20:20 <Gareth>: !roll d6+1
20:20 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 4:3+1
20:20 <Skid_GMing>: You can retire whenever.
20:20 <Gareth>: And action, why not
20:20 <Gareth>: !roll d6+1
20:20 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 4:3+1
20:20 <Joshua>: I'll use my action too
20:20 <Gareth>: If we're getting them back
20:20 <Joshua>: !roll d6+1
20:20 <Dicebot>: Joshua: 6:5+1
20:21 <Olwen>: If we could manage the fight tonight, then Cyrus still might be down a couple notches from the fight today.
20:21 <Skid_GMing>: Yep. All recovery rolls reset when you take your 10 hour rest.
20:21 <Joshua>: Perfect to refill all my pools.
20:22 <Gareth>: We're fighting?
20:22 <Olwen>: Only if we have to.
20:22 <Olwen>: Do you have a plan?
20:22 <Skid_GMing>: Cyrus claps Joshua on the back and turns to climb the stairs to the top of the tower. "I'll see you in battle, friend."
20:22 <Gareth>: We should wait until they move out
20:22 <Gareth>: Way less people to take on
20:22 <Gareth>: Remember there's over 60 here right now
20:23 <Olwen>: But what if they assign us to go?
20:23 <Joshua>: But, we're moving out with them
20:23 <Gareth>: We slip away
20:23 <Gareth>: I thought the plan was obvious. Did you sign up here for real?..
20:24 <Joshua>: Aw, I was looking forward to my 5 parts share
20:24 <Olwen>: Of course not, but we have to have a plan for re-taking the city.
20:24 <Olwen>: So, what's the basic, obvious plan?
20:25 <Olwen>: Cause if you don't have one, I might.
20:25 <Joshua>: And I can't sneak away easily now that I've attracted Cyrus' attention
20:25 <Gareth>: Yeah.. take out the stragglers that don't march out on the mission?
20:25 <Olwen>: But we'll have to go out on the mission...
20:25 <Olwen>: I don't think we can just leave.
20:25 <Joshua>: He'll be watching me, and if he doesn't see me on the march, he'll know something's fishy and turn around
20:25 <Olwen>: Exactly.
20:25 <Gareth>: No >_>
20:26 <Olwen>: Sooo...
20:26 <Olwen>: Anyone have a plan? Or should I say mine?
20:26 <Joshua>: Say yours
20:26 <Gareth>: Well good, we're stuck then
20:26 <Gareth>: I thought we were set up perfectly
20:26 <Joshua>: I say we contact the Ember Patrol and get them to intercept us on the march
20:27 <Gareth>: With who?
20:27 <Gareth>: We have the guys they can send to take them on
20:27 <Gareth>: If we were doing that we'd just storm the city right now
20:27 <Joshua>: *sigh*
20:27 <Olwen>: So maybe we can get out the villagers/hoatages, then flame up the castle to call re-eforcement. While they are in confusion, us and the rest of the embers could attack, maybe take them in smaller groups instead of a well thought out battle plan.
20:27 <Gareth>: That was exactly what I was thinking. And we'd do that when most of the group is away on the mission.
20:27 <Gareth>: I don't get the problem
20:27 <Joshua>: Hmmm...
20:27 <Olwen>: It's just a thought.
20:27 <Joshua>: I have a plan, actually
20:27 <Olwen>: Oh?
20:28 <Joshua>: Olwen, can you score a spot in the kitchen?
20:28 <Olwen>: ....why?
20:28 <Joshua>: Well, actually, first, Skid, I need to do a Wilderness Knowledge check
20:28 <Skid_GMing>: Roll it.
20:29 <Joshua>: Poisonous plants in the vicinity
20:29 <Skid_GMing>: I guessed that.
20:29 <Joshua>: !roll d20 trained
20:29 <Dicebot>: Joshua, trained: 10
20:29 <Olwen>: You want me to poison people?
20:29 <Joshua>: Yeah, that'd take out a fair number of them, and we could take out the stragglers
20:30 <Olwen>: But... poisoning them?
20:30 <Gareth>: I thought you thought you can't go wandering around; how will you pick poisons?
20:30 <Joshua>: What's wrong with poisoning them?
20:30 <Olwen>: Maybe we could get them from the baker.
20:31 <Joshua>: I can before the march, but not during it
20:31 <Joshua>: Or what Olwen said
20:31 <Olwen>: I guess it wouldn't have to be a lethal dose, just enough to get them out of the fight while we secure them.
20:31 <Olwen>: I don't want to poison them outright.
20:31 <Joshua>: You're opposed to killing them?
20:31 <Gareth>: We're supposed to kill everyone
20:31 <Gareth>: Ursa wants a message sent
20:31 <Gareth>: For killing our guy
20:31 <Skid_GMing>: There's bloatwort growing in the forest. It's not a deadly poison, and it has a distinct flavour, but it causes a person's face swell up making it hard to see or speak.
20:32 <Olwen>: That would be perfect.
20:32 <Olwen>: I'll see if I can get some from the baker.
20:32 <Joshua>: Would the mercenaries recognize the flavor?
20:33 <Olwen>: How big of a dose do you need?
20:33 <Skid_GMing>: It'll take cooking skill to conceal it.
20:33 <Joshua>: Ugh
20:33 <Skid_GMing>: Which a baker would have, incidentally.
20:33 <Joshua>: Ooooh
20:34 <Olwen>: Oh, well, what if we have the baker cook it into some food, then bring it to the mercs?
20:34 <Olwen>: Then, we release the hostages, flame up the castle, and take out the mercenaries?
20:34 <Joshua>: This plan is actually looking plausible
20:34 <Gareth>: Except for there being 60 guys yeah
20:35 <Joshua>: That's why I was hoping for a lethal poison
20:35 <Olwen>: Hey, I don't think they'll be able to fight well with swollen faces.
20:36 <Olwen>: So we sleep tonight, get the food tomorrow, then feed it to them at supper so we'll have darkness on our side?
20:36 <Joshua>: How much backup do we have?
20:36 <Skid_GMing>: 20 dudes.
20:36 <Joshua>: Of what skill level?
20:37 <Skid_GMing>: Level 4.
20:37 <Joshua>: And what level will the mercs fight at with bloated faces?
20:37 <Olwen>: We'll be fine, don't worry.
20:38 <Joshua>: I don't want to take any chances here.
20:38 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm. You have skill related to military strategy?
20:38 <Joshua>: Nope =P
20:38 <Joshua>: But what the heck, I'll roll for it
20:39 <Joshua>: !roll d20
20:39 <Dicebot>: Joshua: 8
20:40 <Joshua>: Hold on. If they're bloated, they might start fighting each other. Especially since they're recently betrayed mercenaries
20:40 <Skid_GMing>: Individually, poisoned mercenaries would probably be weaker than your backup.
20:40 <Olwen>: Anyway, I think we should go to bed.
20:40 <Joshua>: Plus, we don't have to kill ALL of them. If we kill Cyrus and 20-30 others, that'd send a message
20:41 <Skid_GMing>: Wait, did someone here have architecture training or something simliar?
20:41 <Joshua>: Yeah
20:41 <Skid_GMing>: Oh. Make a roll.
20:42 Joshua is specialized in Construction
20:42 <Joshua>: !roll d20 specialized
20:42 <Dicebot>: Joshua, specialized: 12
20:42 <Skid_GMing>: The tower will have a hatch at the top allowing access to the roof. Or from the roof to the upper rooms.
20:43 <Joshua>: Oooh, Olwen could grapple and kill Cyrus in his sleep
20:43 <Joshua>: There's our message, covert and easy
20:43 <Olwen>: I don't like killing people in their sleep, but I guess he is a murderer.
20:43 <Olwen>: Does his room have a window?
20:44 <Skid_GMing>: There are slit windows on that level.
20:44 <Joshua>: I mean through the hatch on the roof...
20:44 <Joshua>: That I just learned about
20:44 <Olwen>: I think he would wake up.
20:44 <Gareth>: Well it wouldn't be in his sleep, he'd wake up before you were done if it makes you feel better
20:44 <Gareth>: Like that mage on our first mission
20:44 <Gareth>: Would just give you a couple free turns
20:45 <Olwen>: I know. I didn't like doing that, either.
20:45 <Joshua>: The question is how to get out before he calls for backup
20:45 <Gareth>: I still don't understand why we're not waiting until most if not all the enemies will be gone to make our move, I thought that was exactly why we pretended to enlist, to find out advantagous information like that to help determine the best time and way to make a move, but whatever.
20:45 <Olwen>: Maybe we should just poison him too.
20:46 <Gareth>: If we're puffing people up we should get as many as possible, yes
20:46 <Olwen>: How long does it take for the poison to take effect?
20:46 <Joshua>: Could we get a delayed action on that poison, Skid?
20:46 <Joshua>: Like a pill kind of effect?
20:46 <Skid_GMing>: 20 minutes after eating. May be detected earlier by the victim if they know poisons.
20:48 <Olwen>: I have to go soon..
20:49 <Joshua>: I just can see Cyrus noticing our absence, and us having to take on all of them unimpaired
20:49 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you guys can retire for the night. 2 XP each again for this session, and 1 to give away.
20:49 <Joshua>: Unless...
20:49 <Joshua>: We leave our backup to clean out the city, and we march with Cyrus
20:50 <Olwen>: But that won't stop them from taking out whatever place they're attacking.
20:50 <Olwen>: I think we need to get them all while they're here.
20:50 <Joshua>: Do we want to stop them? After all, the emperor is paying them to do it
20:51 <Joshua>: He's kinda our boss too
20:51 <Gareth>: Do we need to bother with wherever they're up to? I thought we just needed this city back.
20:51 <Olwen>: Well, I don't like the Emperor. He put bounty on my head.
20:51 <Olwen>: Besides, these are criminals.
20:52 <Joshua>: Skid, can you clarify what exactly our mission is?
20:52 <Olwen>: Although really, I think the crazy lizard man was right, and the emperor is a Lizard bent on destroying us all.
20:52 <Joshua>: xP
20:53 <Gareth>: Lizard being a human-dragon hybrid created by that Cult
20:53 <Olwen>: Yes.
20:53 <Skid_GMing>: Your mission was originally to take out Cyrus and send a message.
20:54 <Joshua>: See? Cyrus will march. We have to either go with the poison plan, or march out
20:54 <Joshua>: Or use the roof grappling plan
20:54 <Olwen>: OK, poison it is.
20:54 <Olwen>: You know, we could all take him on at once through the roof.
20:54 <Joshua>: Which, he'd call for backup, and then we'd be facing everyone unimpaired
20:55 <Olwen>: He probably would.
20:55 <Joshua>: Wait..
20:55 <Gareth>: I can silence him
20:55 <Joshua>: Didn't he just head up to bed?
20:55 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
20:55 <Olwen>: OK, we could do that I suppose, but then what will happen?
20:56 <Joshua>: We kill him, and leave before anyone notices
20:56 <Gareth>: We sneak out, let chaos break out when they discover what happened, and call in the army at an opportune time?
20:56 <Olwen>: I think Gareth's plan might work, but I think it would send a better message if we just torch the place and take out Cyrus in the confusion.
20:56 <Joshua>: Without their head, the mercenaries will disband, and probably start fighting it out for the gold
20:57 <Gareth>: We grab the gold first
20:57 <Gareth>: ;)
20:58 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth, thinking like an adventurer.
20:58 <Gareth>: I try
20:58 <Joshua>: And Cyrus' swords ;)
20:58 <Joshua>: Jussayin', I want those things
20:59 <Olwen>: OK, fine. Get the swords. But can we agree on an actual plan?
20:59 <Joshua>: So poison?
20:59 <Gareth>: I have to go
20:59 <Joshua>: Or sneaky kill?
20:59 <Olwen>: Nah.
21:00 <Olwen>: Anyways, I'm out..
21:00 Olwen quit
21:00 <Skid_GMing>: This will be interesting.
21:00 <Joshua>: Gareth, your thoughts?
21:02 <Gareth>: I really have no idea
21:02 <Gareth>: I thought it was straightforward, but clearly it isn't
21:04 Gareth quit
21:05 <Skid_GMing>: I think you guys have the groundwork for some solid plans. Just remember it will take your backup a while to make it from the forest to the castle after you set off the flare.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:55 pm 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts: 1343
Age: 26
Gender: Male

Cash: 392.74
Bank: 0.00
And the mission wraps up, with the heroes victorious, but in possession of dire intel.

1 XP each to bookworm, Woody, and Tikvah.

Major loot recovered: 15 Royals, Twin Pirate Blades, 3 Aberration Shards, 4 Gritbark Oil, Force Focus Staff, and Tackle Bow

Twin Pirate Blades (7 damage, heavy, medium when dual-wielded) These exotic curved greatswords are meant to be wielded as a pair, where they benefit from a strange and deadly synergy.

Gritbark Oil (Consumable, +1 armor, 6 hour duration) Imparts a temporary hardness to skin, adding 1 armor to the user for 6 hours.

Force Focus Staff (4 damage, medium, 1 asset to Force spells) This twisted staff has an iron sphere on the top that provides a boost to all force-based spells cast by the wielder.

Aberration Shard (Summons level 6 Outsider, Grenade) One can barely see anything in the cloudy depths of the crystal, but get the impression of hundreds of whirling, insubstantial blades trying to escape.

Tackle Bow (3 damage, light, 50 ft range, slows enemies) Every arrow fired from this blackwood bow is weighted down by an adhesive gel that encumbers the target, reducing their ability to dodge and move by one level. Requires an action and a free hand to remove the slime.


Top
  Offline Profile  
      
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
The site is in no way affiliated with Focus on the Family. "Adventures in Odyssey" is the registered trademark of Focus on the Family.