Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:57 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14178
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 641.50
Bank: 55,109.36
Mercenary Occupation, Session 4 of 8
Continued from Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Continued by Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8
We need an assault force. Mercenaries have seized a mountain town and taken hostages. Route the mercenaries and retake the town.
Quote:
17:49 Woody is now known as Joshua
18:01 bookworm is now known as Gareth
18:01 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
18:05 <Skid_GMing>: When we left off, you had all successfully joined the mercenary band and collected some intel on their position, as well as did some plotting on how to take them down.
18:08 <Joshua>: So, night kill then poison massacre?
18:09 <Skid_GMing>: The mercenary band has mostly retired for the night. Hostages, save for a couple in the kitchen, have been locked away in the dungeon. A couple sentries remain at the closed gates, and along the walls.
18:11 <Olwen>: So, should we sleep tonight to recover our pools, or attack?
18:11 <Joshua>: Recover, for sure
18:11 <Gareth>: How long does the poison take to kick in again?
18:11 <Joshua>: 20 min
18:11 <Skid_GMing>: 20 minutes. Give or take.
18:12 <Olwen>: OK, so I go to bed.
18:13 <Gareth>: So if it's that short acting I don't know if we can do both plans like we wanted.
18:13 <Olwen>: Why?
18:14 <Olwen>: I thought we would poison everyone the day after.
18:14 <Olwen>: They'll still need to eat.
18:15 <Joshua>: And if we wait for tomorrow's new recruits, we won't be the prime suspects
18:16 <Joshua>: (In Cyrus' murder)
18:16 <Gareth>: Because if we're taking out the boss at night we need to dispense the poison at dinner. It would likely take effect before people go to sleep. So they wouldn't, probably.
18:16 <Olwen>: I don't understand why we need to poison them on the same night we kill the boss.
18:16 <Joshua>: ^
18:17 <Gareth>: Ideally we get the boss and poison the troops the next day at breakfast, yes; but you don't think they'd discover their leader dead before eating?
18:17 <Gareth>: I'm assuming our deed is going to be discovered first thing in the respective morning after
18:17 <Joshua>: Which is a problem why?
18:18 <Olwen>: But discovering the deed won't make them immune to hunger.
18:19 <Olwen>: Personally I am in favor of poisoning them at supper so that we can attack in the dark to add to the confusion.
18:23 <Gareth>: If we can assure they won't check on him until after eating, then it's great. We get him at night, spike the bread in the morning, then let them find out what happened and start going nuts right as the puffiness takes effect. But can we assure that?
18:23 <Gareth>: That's how I saw it going, in an ideal world, I just don't know if that's how it would actually play out
18:24 <Gareth>: If we can't assure that, we need to pick one plan over the other to be sure it happens, and if we're in an exclusive or situation then the poison is the more important
18:25 <Gareth>: Which is a problem, because we can't hedge on that one. The only way to make sure it will happen is to do it at dinner, which throws off the timeline
18:27 <Skid_GMing>: So, who's gonna make the call? You do have a few days to work with. You don't necessarily have to make your big move tonight.
18:27 <Olwen>: Why don't we poison them after they find out?
18:27 <Olwen>: It's not like they will stop eating.
18:28 <Gareth>: When a melee breaks out among them?... yeah they will
18:30 <Olwen>: They'll find him in the morning, have all day to make a ruckus, I think they will be hungry by supper. If they've disbanded, our purpose is accomplished anyway.
18:30 <Gareth>: I think we're envisioning different reactions maybe
18:30 <Gareth>: What I see is as soon as someone knocks on that door in the morning and finds him dead the whole castle is going ultimate blow up, literally. It will be swords out infighting all over
18:30 <Joshua>: Great, let them kill as many of each other as possible.
18:30 <Gareth>: Oh, you're letting the commotion play out?
18:31 <Joshua>: Makes our job that much easier
18:31 <Joshua>: We can be gone for the brawl
18:31 <Olwen>: I think so.
18:31 <Olwen>: And if there is no brawl, we do the poison.
18:31 <Gareth>: Yes, but only if it drags on. We should theoretically move our army in *during* the fighting to prolong the mayhem and use surprise as an asset
18:32 <Olwen>: We can do that too.
18:32 <Olwen>: But in all events, we're sleeping tonight.
18:32 <Joshua>: Great
18:32 <Gareth>: If we let them duel it out then go in after, we're just in the same situation are we not? They'll have united behind a new leader?
18:32 <Gareth>: We just hope it's with way less numbers?
18:33 <Joshua>: Well, there's only one boss leader
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: So... you want to be the leader of a mercenary band?
18:34 <Gareth>: Levi can step forward, he's built rapport
18:34 <Joshua>: Ooooh
18:34 <Joshua>: You want me to be the leader?
18:34 <Olwen>: That's not what I'm suggesting. I thought the plan was to kill the boss, then as mayhem breaks out we bring in the troops, if it doesn't we carry out the poison plan. Wasn't that it?
18:35 <Joshua>: Thing is, we should let the infighting go for a bit. As soon as they realize they're being attacked, they'll band together again
18:35 <Joshua>: If they choose a new leader, it'll just be a regular guy with a fancy title
18:36 <Gareth>: You don't know that
18:36 <Gareth>: I'm sure there are plenty of boss caliber fighters in a group like this
18:36 <Gareth>: But it's got to lower their numbers at least somewhat. So let's try it
18:36 <Olwen>: Of course, but it if we flame up the castle, it will still cause confusion.
18:36 <Olwen>: Anyway, we good? have a plan?
18:37 <Gareth>: Okay hold on
18:41 <Gareth>: I thought the plan was to kill the boss, then as mayhem breaks out we bring in the troops, if it doesn't we carry out the poison plan. Wasn't that it?
18:41 <Gareth>: ^^^
18:41 <Gareth>: No, the poison was *part* of the attack; as I saw it. The shock of 'our leader is dead' is compounded by 'why are we all swelling up? Someone's trying to kill all of us!!!'
18:41 <Gareth>: And everyone fights everyone else in paranoia
18:41 <Olwen>: Well, I think the first one is the plan, as the second one doesn't seem to be feasible.
18:42 <Gareth>: We let it play out as long is prudent to lessen their numbers, then just before they finally settle down our army comes in and stirs the chaos back up, finishing off the rest
18:42 <Olwen>: Exactly.
18:46 <Joshua>: Let's just do it
18:46 <Gareth>: Let me actually 'play' it out to maybe be clearer
18:46 <Gareth>: Hang on a sec
18:47 <Olwen>: OK, let's hear it.
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
18:52 <Skid_GMing>: But you're all agreed on sleeping tonight?
18:52 <Olwen>: Yes
18:52 <Joshua>: Si
18:54 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, use your 10-hour recovery rolls and action, 10 minute, and 1 hour recovery rolls become unused again.
18:54 <Gareth>: Okay
18:54 <Gareth>: Tomorrow, we go into town on break and covertly get your friend to make us some poison bread. We set it up to be served next breakfast, tomorrow morning. That night we sneak in the skylight or whatever and take out the boss. In the morning Levi guards his door to make sure no one finds out he's dead until we want them to. He says he asked him to make sure he's not disturbed or some other excuse. Everyone has breakfast, poison gets in their systems. About 15 minutes later Levi runs in announcing boss is dead; or if someone else was going up to check on him we now let them and they discover and spread the news. Hopefully mayhem breaks out and people start accusing and fighting each other. Their numbers fall. Soon into the chaos everyone starts puffing up, adding to the furor and decreasing their fightining ability. Numbers fall more. We watch them take each other out until it looks like they're ready to settle down, then call in our guys with the firework. They presumably easily finish off whoever remains, as they are at this point much fewer numbers, and less proficient fighters with swollen eyes and paranoid confused brains.
18:56 <Gareth>: That was the plan I was trying to propose.
18:56 <Olwen>: That works for me.
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: Activity resumes at the castle a lazy few hours after dawn, with gruel being served in the tower and the gates opening to accept new applicants for recruitment.
18:59 <Gareth>: Are we free to roam?
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:59 <Joshua>: Sounds good
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: There doesn't seem to be any sort of official schedule outside of the guards on duty.
18:59 <Olwen>: Great.
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: Cyrus emerges from his chambers and heads into town for breakfast, his wounds appearing perfectly healed, and his hair in perfect waves over his shoulders.
19:00 <Olwen>: Ugh.
19:00 <Gareth>: Would it be odd, or logical for us three to kind of get acquainted, as recruits who came in at the same time?
19:01 <Skid_GMing>: Roll an intellect check with any relevant social skills?
19:02 <Gareth>: Like we make a little group that hangs out to go through this initial period together. Like freshmen you know
19:02 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort
19:02 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort: 13
19:02 <Skid_GMing>: It seems like it would be perfectly reasonable.
19:02 <Gareth>: Good, then we make appearances like we're doing that
19:03 <Gareth>: Which makes sense; we'd want to get in with Levi the big shot
19:03 <Olwen>: Where is he?
19:03 <Joshua>: Just be sure to call me Joshua
19:03 <Gareth>: Oh right
19:04 <Gareth>: I am totally going to be like "hey Levi!" and blow this
19:05 <Skid_GMing>: What is your little group doing today?
19:05 <Gareth>: How many people seem to eat here at base, as opposed to going to a restaurant or whatever else
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: Most of them seem to be eating here. A couple handfuls are going to the tavern in town.
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: The food there is better, but you have to pay for it.
19:06 <Joshua>: Also, we act like we stole the bread from the baker, okay?
19:06 <Olwen>: OK
19:07 <Gareth>: Well are those slaves running the kitchen? We could just drop it off 'This is for tomorrow!' and they shouldn't question
19:07 <Joshua>: Okay
19:07 <Gareth>: Whichever seems best when we get there.
19:08 <Gareth>: So we stroll around somewhere private to go over this.
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: You guys take a walk.
19:09 <Gareth>: Then I guess Olwen heads to the bakery
19:09 <Gareth>: We shouldn't all go
19:09 <Olwen>: I guess I do.
19:09 <Gareth>: Until we need to bring the bread back I guess
19:09 <Gareth>: Oh!
19:09 <Gareth>: Oh, maybe not...
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: You do need the special ingredient...
19:10 <Olwen>: Well, maybe the baker can help with that.
19:10 <Gareth>: Oh wait, yes! You said if the baker does this the flavor gets masked right?
19:10 <Olwen>: yes
19:11 <Gareth>: So yeah- what if we don't need to hide our actions at all, we do it right in the open. Levi is like 'I bought breakfast for everyone!' like he's still getting in good as he is, and he simply has it delivered
19:11 <Gareth>: And set up to be served in the morning
19:11 <Olwen>: Well, we need to mask the flavor...
19:12 <Gareth>: That's why the baker is doing this I thought
19:12 <Gareth>: Instead of us
19:12 <Olwen>: yes
19:13 <Gareth>: And I don't mean he actually announces that, we want to keep attention away if possible, from as many people, but if someone sees us dropping it off or something, he can be like 'I got this for a surprise in the morning'
19:13 <Olwen>: OK
19:13 <Olwen>: So I head to the baker's
19:13 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:15 <Skid_GMing>: So... who's going to the bakery to talk Rose into doing this?
19:15 <Gareth>: Olwen, she just has to say it's to get the kid out
19:16 <Olwen>: I am indeed.
19:16 <Gareth>: Josh and I go gather the whateverweed.
19:17 <Joshua>: Bloatwort
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a wilderness survival check for gathering.
19:18 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort
19:18 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort: 16
19:19 <Joshua>: !roll d20 trained
19:19 <Dicebot>: Joshua, trained: 13
19:19 <Joshua>: Wait, would wilderness survival be might based?
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: Intellect, in this case.
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: You easily gather as much as you need.
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: And Olwen, you reach the bakery to find Rose tending the front counter. She looks up with a mixture of hope and wariness as she sees your new Scythian emblem.
19:20 <Olwen>: Is there anyone in the street?
19:21 <Olwen>: Like no one that might be spying?
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check?
19:21 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
19:21 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 9
19:23 <Skid_GMing>: You don't see anyone spying on you.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: "Do you need something?"
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: "Have you found my son? Is he safe?"
19:26 <Olwen>: "Is there a place we could speak where we cannot be heard?"
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: "Yes, of course, come inside." She leads you up to the room you spoke in earlier.
19:26 <Gareth>: We head back to the bakery and idle around the area for Olwen's affirmation the plan is a go.
19:27 <Olwen>: "I and some friends have made it into the mercenary army. As far as I can tell, your son is safe."
19:28 <Olwen>: "We have a plan to free the hostages and take out the mercenaries, but we need the help of a baker."
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: "Oh, thank goodness."
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: "What do you need?"
19:29 <Olwen>: "We need someone to mask a non fatal poison in some bread for us. If the mercenaries are unwell, we can catch them off gaurd. Can you help us?"
19:30 <Skid_GMing>: "I, I think so. Where is this poison?"
19:31 <Olwen>: "We friends should have it by now. Can you mask the taste of Bloatweed?"
19:33 <Skid_GMing>: She pauses for a moment, then her face lights up. "I believe I have just the recipe. Where do you need this bread?"
19:34 <Olwen>: "We need it by tonight, to take to the the castle. If we can pick it up from here this evening, that would be best."
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: "I can do that if you can get me the ingredients in the next couple of hours."
19:36 <Olwen>: "Do you need anything besides the bloatweed?"
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: "No, but if you could get this note to my son, I would appreciate it."
19:38 <Olwen>: "Ill see what I can do."
19:38 <Skid_GMing>: She hands you a small, folded piece of paper.
19:38 <Olwen>: I hide it on my person.
19:38 <Olwen>: "Now, can I bring in the bloatweed?"
19:38 <Skid_GMing>: "Leave it in the basket I'll put by the back door."
19:39 <Olwen>: "Thank you. How much will this cost?"
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: "Nothing, if my son gets out safely."
19:40 <Olwen>: "We will do all we can."
19:41 <Skid_GMing>: "Thanks. Now go, hurry, before someone find us here."
19:42 <Olwen>: "Alright. Bye."
19:42 <Olwen>: I exit the bakery.
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:42 <Gareth>: I give a questioning look.
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: To Olwen?
19:42 <Gareth>: Yes, to see if we're on
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: You guys are done collecting and can be where you want to.
19:45 <Gareth>: We were waiting nearby
19:45 <Olwen>: I pretend to just notice him. "Hey, your name is.. Goliath, isn't it? I saw you yesterday at the castle."
19:45 <Olwen>: I nod to him.
19:45 <Gareth>: I make sure no one is around.
19:46 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
19:46 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 16
19:47 <Skid_GMing>: You feel un-spied-upon.
19:47 <Gareth>: She gives us the details and we put the plants in the appropriate place
19:47 <Gareth>: "Great work Olwen!"
19:47 <Olwen>: ...OK
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, that plan is in place.
19:49 <Skid_GMing>: The whole process is done before noon. What do you want to do with the rest of the day?
19:49 <Gareth>: How were we getting in Cyrus's room again?
19:49 <Olwen>: I'm grappling to the roof and leaving a rope for you guys.
19:49 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen's ability to walk up walls.
19:50 <Gareth>: Yes but how do we get in from the roof?
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: The same way people get out onto the roof.
19:50 <Gareth>: I didn't know people usually went on roofs
19:51 <Olwen>: In castles they do.
19:51 <Gareth>: Ah, yes
19:51 <Joshua>: So, Olwen's letting us in from the second floor?
19:52 <Olwen>: I think we're all going in from the roof.
19:52 <Skid_GMing>: It's a castle tower. It's flat on top.
19:52 <Joshua>: But can the rest of us climb the wall?
19:52 <Gareth>: So we, or I at least, go do... whatever we do to blend in around here. I don't know if we should stay together the whole time or not.
19:53 <Gareth>: Just need to wait for the bread to bake
19:53 <Olwen>: I don't think we should stay together.
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you guys hang out doing whatever. If you go up to the castle, you're asked a couple times to test potential recruits.
19:54 <Gareth>: In what ways?
19:54 <Olwen>: That sounds fun.
19:55 <Gareth>: We should make sure they fail if we can
19:55 <Gareth>: Don't need more people around
19:55 <Olwen>: But we need to have some suspects.
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: Unless you want to reveal new powers, you'll be testing the strength of guys by making force walls for them to try to push through.
19:56 <Gareth>: I can do that
19:56 <Gareth>: Presumably general recruits wouldn't be able to get through, it was exerting for that strong lady
19:56 <Olwen>: So just Gareth is testing?
19:56 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen you'd be in shooting contests with archers.
19:57 <Olwen>: Ooh.
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: And Joshua is asked to hit warriors. Gently.
19:58 <Joshua>: But wouldn't that give us damage?
19:58 <Skid_GMing>: Nothing significant. These aren't recruits on your tier.
19:58 <Joshua>: Okay
19:58 <Joshua>: Then bring it on
19:59 <Skid_GMing>: Make a general success roll with your preferred stat to use the opportunity to fail mercenaries who look like they might be trouble.
19:59 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
19:59 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 6
20:00 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort, Intellect
20:00 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort, Intellect: 6
20:00 <Olwen>: !roll d20 effort, speed
20:00 <Dicebot>: Olwen, effort, speed: 10
20:00 <Joshua>: !roll d20 might effort
20:00 <Dicebot>: Joshua, might effort: 18
20:01 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, the mercenaries manage to recruit 4 suitable members today.
20:02 <Skid_GMing>: And evening arrives with the regular activites. The bread is ready for pickup by now.
20:02 <Gareth>: We return to the bakery
20:02 <Olwen>: I go inside to find the baker.
20:03 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, Rose meets you with a large basket full of small, spiced rolls.
20:04 <Skid_GMing>: "Here's your special order. On the house."
20:04 <Olwen>: "Thanks, this will be perfect."
20:05 <Olwen>: I bring them to the others.
20:05 <Gareth>: Is there a way to make sure the flavor is adequately suppressed? Besides tasting.
20:05 <Skid_GMing>: Not without poison knowledge.
20:05 <Olwen>: It will be fine.
20:05 <Olwen>: You could feed it to Levi's poodle.
20:07 <Gareth>: Okay, let me drop it off. I have persuasion training if someone asks questions.
20:07 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
20:07 <Olwen>: Shouldn't Joshua go with you?
20:07 <Gareth>: Yes, I just meant I'll talk
20:07 <Gareth>: I take it to whoever oversees rations.
20:08 <Joshua>: I go with Gareth
20:11 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you find a mercenary woman with a dirty apron over her armor in the kitchens, overseeing a trio of villagers preparing the evening meal.
20:11 <Joshua>: Stolen story then
20:12 <Gareth>: Oh, should we wait to drop off until the morning?
20:12 <Gareth>: To make sure no one tries some early?
20:12 <Olwen>: Maybe, if you can do it early.
20:13 <Gareth>: Yeah, I'll take them by when they're preparing breakfast
20:13 <Gareth>: I go to my room then.
20:13 <Olwen>: I go to the tavern to find out who's gaurding the hostages tonight.
20:13 <Skid_GMing>: Dave is on duty again tonight.
20:14 <Olwen>: I wait around in the tavern a bit before I go to bed.
20:14 <Joshua>: I find a low-stakes card game
20:14 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
20:14 <Skid_GMing>: Roll the regular gambling routine.
20:14 <Joshua>: Which is...?
20:15 <Skid_GMing>: The amount you're betting and a deception or other relevant skill check.
20:17 <Joshua>: 3 nobles
20:17 <Joshua>: !roll d20
20:17 <Dicebot>: Joshua: 5
20:17 <Joshua>: =P
20:17 <Skid_GMing>: The evening at the tavern is about the same as it was last night, with a few new faces, and slightly higher air of excitement as the departure date approaches.
20:17 <Skid_GMing>: Welp. You manage to lose all but one of your nobles.
20:18 <Skid_GMing>: So, -2.
20:20 <Skid_GMing>: The evening wears down, with Cyrus and Eyeless Pete disappearing up the tower, and the rest of the troops dispersing for the night.
20:20 <Gareth>: Okay, we want to do this more toward morning. Don't want much time between this and breakfast, that's more time to be discovered
20:20 Joshua nods
20:20 <Olwen>: I head to my bed.
20:20 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. Set the hour you want to start at. Sunrise is at 7.
20:21 <Gareth>: When is breakfast served?
20:21 <Joshua>: BTW, how do we handle the shadowpathing? It's been 24 hours
20:23 <Skid_GMing>: You'll have to spend the point to refresh that.
20:23 <Olwen>: I think we should go around 2 or 3, plenty of time to get back before sunrise.
20:24 <Gareth>: Levi isn't going back though, he's guarding the door after right?
20:24 <Joshua>: Okay, will I have time to heal?
20:24 <Joshua>: Mmmm, Eyeless Pete
20:24 <Gareth>: So don't want him to be standing around for hours, that's suspicious and uncomfortable
20:24 <Joshua>: He'll be suspicious
20:25 <Olwen>: He'll be asleep, won't he?
20:25 <Skid_GMing>: Given that you're not doing anything all evening, you could spend your ten hour and all that day's recovery rolls, yes.
20:25 <Joshua>: Okay
20:26 <Joshua>: But when he gets up and sees me guarding the door, it'll be strange to him
20:26 <Olwen>: Well, maybe you shouldn't guard the door then.
20:26 <Joshua>: Well, my 4 rolls will be at least 8
20:26 <Joshua>: So no need to do the rolls
20:28 <Gareth>: If we go shortly before breakfast we don't need to strictly guard the door, there shouldn't be anyone trying to go in in that short time
20:28 <Gareth>: They'll be going down to eat
20:29 <Olwen>: But we need time to get off the roof before sunrise.
20:29 <Gareth>: Can we not exit through the door when we're done?
20:29 <Olwen>: It depends how late it is.
20:29 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, 3 AM rolls around. The castle is quiet. A couple guards are posted at the gate, on top the walls, and at the dungeon.
20:29 <Olwen>: I head to the ground below the tower.
20:30 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. The tower goes straight up, three stories. Connected to the tops of the wall on the second floor.
20:31 <Olwen>: Can I grapple that high?
20:31 <Skid_GMing>: Easily.
20:31 <Gareth>: I go to wherever I'm supposed to wait.
20:31 <Joshua>: Me too
20:32 <Joshua>: Can I be one of the guards on the roof?
20:32 <Joshua>: =P
20:33 <Skid_GMing>: There aren't guards on the roof itself.
20:33 <Olwen>: Just on the walls?
20:33 <Skid_GMing>: You might be able to talk one of the wall guards into trading.
20:34 <Joshua>: Nah, too suspicious
20:34 <Olwen>: OK, I grapple the top of the tower where I will be the least seen by guards.
20:34 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. Roll a stealth check.
20:36 <Olwen>: !roll d20 effort
20:36 <Dicebot>: Olwen, effort: 13
20:37 <Skid_GMing>: You wait until the guards are on their furthest pass, then fire away, hooking solidly to the top of the tower without raising notice.
20:37 <Olwen>: I climb the rope.
20:37 <Joshua>: What do we do?
20:37 <Olwen>: Climb after me?
20:38 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. You reach the top of the tower, finding yourself on a circular rooftop with a hatch against one edge.
20:38 <Joshua>: I do so, then
20:38 <Skid_GMing>: The hatch is covered by a wooden door with an iron ring in it.
20:38 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, Joshua, roll a stealth check.
20:38 <Olwen>: I listen at the door.
20:39 <Skid_GMing>: Roll perception?
20:39 <Olwen>: Where's Gareth?
20:39 <Gareth>: Below
20:39 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
20:39 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 5
20:39 <Joshua>: Uuuuum... is there any other way up?
20:40 <Joshua>: I actually just realized... my dogs can't climb the rope...
20:40 <Skid_GMing>: There's the stairs inside.
20:40 <Gareth>: We shouldn't need them
20:40 <Gareth>: You almost took him out alone. Here you have us, and we'll have at least one free round of attacks
20:41 <Joshua>: Okay
20:41 <Gareth>: Oh- and he'll be without his swords!
20:41 <Gareth>: Unless he sleeps with them
20:41 <Joshua>: But I worry about the stealth check
20:41 <Gareth>: Me too, but we have to go up
20:43 <Joshua>: Well, Olwen could let us in through the stairs
20:43 <Olwen>: I would have to go through his room. He might hear me open the door.
20:43 <Gareth>: Yeah we all need there to go in together in case there's a problem with the hatch
20:43 <Joshua>: Up we go, then
20:43 <Joshua>: !roll d20
20:43 <Dicebot>: Joshua: 6
20:44 <Gareth>: XP to reroll maybe?
20:44 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen: You hear Cyrus's voice talking somewhere below.
20:44 <Gareth>: What
20:44 <Olwen>: O_O
20:44 <Gareth>: Great
20:44 <Joshua>: uh-oh
20:45 <Olwen>: Can I hear who he's talking to?
20:45 <Olwen>: Well, if all else fails, Gareth can make a wall blocking the door, and we continue with the plan.
20:46 <Gareth>: That was the backup plan
20:46 <Skid_GMing>: You can't hear any voice but his.
20:47 <Gareth>: Is Levi falling or what
20:47 <Olwen>: ?
20:47 <Joshua>: I have those gauntlets, they're an asset
20:48 <Gareth>: To the climb, maybe (though isn't that speed) but not to stealth
20:48 <Olwen>: Gareth, do you have any way of silencing him?
20:48 <Skid_GMing>: Joshua, you make it about halfway up the tower before one of the guards turns and starts along the wall in your direction. What do?
20:48 <Olwen>: Silencing Cyrus I mean. Or that guard.
20:49 <Gareth>: Yeah, I'm silencing everyone we see - once I get up there
20:49 <Skid_GMing>: The climb is easy enough to be checkless. This is just stealth.
20:49 <Joshua>: What are my options?
20:51 <Skid_GMing>: Your options are whatever you can think to do while halfway up a rope.
20:51 <Gareth>: How far is the guard?
20:51 <Skid_GMing>: The guard is within 100 feet.
20:51 <Gareth>: How much within
20:51 <Skid_GMing>: Just within.
20:51 <Gareth>: Out of range of silence then
20:52 <Joshua>: If I move down, will he still see me?
20:53 <Olwen>: I could pull on the rope so he can get up faster.
20:54 <Skid_GMing>: You could drop to the ground, yes.
20:55 <Joshua>: Would that hurt me?
20:55 <Skid_GMing>: No.
20:56 <Joshua>: Okay, I drop
20:57 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
20:57 <Skid_GMing>: The guard keeps walking towards the tower.
20:59 <Gareth>: I climb.
20:59 <Gareth>: Wait are we taking this guy down then?
20:59 <Skid_GMing>: That's up to you.
21:00 <Gareth>: If he goes around again can we get inside without notice?
21:00 <Gareth>: I wait, if so
21:01 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
21:02 <Gareth>: Okay we wait for his round
21:02 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. You guys make it to the roof without alerting the guard.
21:03 <Gareth>: Oh great
21:03 <Gareth>: I listen at the hatch
21:03 <Skid_GMing>: Roll perception.
21:03 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
21:03 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 12
21:03 <Olwen>: So we burst in, silence him, block the door and take him down. Right?
21:04 <Gareth>: Right
21:04 <Gareth>: Or, camp out till he goes to bed maybe..
21:05 <Skid_GMing>: Cyrus is still talking, but you can't hear any other voices. You catch a phrase here and there. "Gorgeous hair." "Look at it." "Those abs."
21:06 <Gareth>: He's talking in his sleep maybe
21:06 <Olwen>: Or admiring himself in the mirror.
21:07 <Gareth>: Can we get the door opened enough to just peak in?
21:07 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
21:08 <Gareth>: Without being noticed? Or we may as well just fling it
21:09 <Skid_GMing>: No way to know for sure from up here.
21:09 <Gareth>: Mmm
21:09 <Olwen>: I say we go for it.
21:10 <Gareth>: Is there any way from listening to judge whether it's more likely sleep talk or self talk?
21:10 <Skid_GMing>: Not without investigating further.
21:11 <Gareth>: It seems like there should be, from the tone or frequency or something
21:11 <Gareth>: But alright
21:11 <Skid_GMing>: It's muffled by the hatch and distance.
21:11 <Gareth>: I look at the others and open the hatch just enough to peak in
21:12 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen, with your darkvision you can make out a narrow hallway with doors on either side and a heavy, barred door at the end. One of the side doors is cracked open and has dim lamplight shining out around it. You can clearly hear Cyrus flattering himself now. He sounds awake and thoroughly impressed.
21:13 <Olwen>: ugh.
21:13 <Olwen>: I relay to the others what I saw.
21:13 <Olwen>: I think we need to go for it.
21:13 <Skid_GMing>: The barred door from its position must lead to the top of the spiral stairs.
21:14 <Gareth>: Oh this isn't the hatch into the room?
21:14 <Gareth>: Okay, okay
21:14 <Gareth>: How long is the hallway?
21:15 <Skid_GMing>: About 20 feet.
21:15 <Gareth>: Does his door open in or out?
21:15 <Skid_GMing>: In.
21:15 <Olwen>: How far to the door?
21:15 <Skid_GMing>: 10 feet.
21:15 <Skid_GMing>: To put you between both doors.
21:15 <Gareth>: Alright, we at least enter the hall quietly and close the hatch to get off the roof
21:15 <Olwen>: Indeed.
21:16 <Skid_GMing>: Stealth checks all around.
21:16 <Gareth>: Ugh
21:16 <Joshua>: Gareth, put a force wall over Pete's door
21:16 <Joshua>: I don't want him coming in on this fight
21:16 <Gareth>: So we can't get in and he leaves to get help? :|
21:17 <Gareth>: Oh Pete's
21:17 <Gareth>: Yeah I know
21:17 <Joshua>: Stealth is what pool?
21:17 <Skid_GMing>: Speed.
21:17 <Joshua>: !roll d20 effort
21:17 <Olwen>: !roll d20 effort
21:17 <Dicebot>: Joshua, effort: 16
21:17 <Dicebot>: Olwen, effort: 17
21:17 <Gareth>: !roll d20
21:17 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 15
21:18 <Joshua>: =D
21:18 <Olwen>: 15,16,17 :D
21:19 <Skid_GMing>: As Gareth's feet hit the floor Cyrus pauses.
21:20 <Joshua>: Uggggh
21:20 <Gareth>: He's just building tension like a good GM
21:20 <Gareth>: I would think
21:20 <Gareth>: That's a level 5 sneak right? How can that fail
21:20 <Joshua>: Level 6 Boss?
21:20 <Skid_GMing>: Footsteps cross the floor inside his room, and you hear the clink of metal on stone.
21:20 <Skid_GMing>: What do?
21:21 <Gareth>: He went to the other door
21:21 <Olwen>: We should rush into the room and block the door so he can't get out.
21:21 <Gareth>: He's not leaving, he's checking
21:21 <Gareth>: He thought he heard something
21:21 <Joshua>: Gareth, did you take care of Pete's door?
21:22 <Gareth>: Not yet
21:22 <Joshua>: Skid, anything to hide behind?
21:22 <Skid_GMing>: The hallway is surprisngly barren, but also very dark.
21:22 <Gareth>: He's not coming out here, he went to the inside door
21:22 <Gareth>: Right Skid?
21:23 <Olwen>: Yeah. but if he lookes out here and sees us he might come out, and that would be inconvenient.
21:23 <Skid_GMing>: You're at the inside door. The other sides of his room are the outside wall of the tower.
21:23 <Olwen>: So rush, or hide?
21:23 <Joshua>: I move into the darkest shadows, provided my stealth check still applies
21:23 <Gareth>: Wait, this is the only door?
21:24 <Skid_GMing>: Unless there are secret passages or hatches involved.
21:24 <Gareth>: Oh well that makes this much simpler.
21:24 <Gareth>: It's go time
21:24 <Gareth>: I put a wall over this other door
21:24 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you put your wall in place.
21:25 <Gareth>: And advance to the open one
21:25 <Joshua>: Skid, can we have a rough map?
21:25 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, I'll draw up a map before next session.
21:26 <Olwen>: I'm going to have to go, so can we maybe not start the boss fight tonight?
21:26 <Gareth>: I look in quickly and cast Bind Tongue on Cyrus
21:26 <Joshua>: Alright, so in we rush
21:26 <Skid_GMing>: You look in, face to face with Cyrus, and cast bind tongue on him.
21:26 <Olwen>: To be continued.....
21:26 <Olwen>: :P
21:27 <Skid_GMing>: He roars at you silently, and smashes through the door. Everything freezes. To be continued.
21:27 <Gareth>: Woo
21:27 <Gareth>: Whoo?
21:27 <Skid_GMing>: 2 XP each, and one to give away.
21:28 Penguin joined #Gowers
21:28 <Olwen>: Yay.
21:28 <Skid_GMing>: Aww, the party was just ending.
21:28 <Olwen>: Well, I'm out. Goodnight everybody.
21:28 Olwen left #Gowers
21:28 <Penguin>: =o
21:28 <Gareth>: We literally *just* wrapped
21:29 <Skid_GMing>: With the opening of the mission's big boss fight.
21:29 <Penguin>: How unfortunate for me. :/ are y'all still on the mission to save a town or what?
21:29 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
21:29 <Penguin>: ahh cool

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:12 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
User avatar
The man that stops the monsters

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Posts: 5103
Age: 101

Cash: 2,131.08
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
So how are we dividing the loot? I assume we're each taking the items appropriate for our characters and splitting the cash?

_________________
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:47 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14178
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 641.50
Bank: 55,109.36
Mercenary Occupation, Session 5 of 8
Continued from Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Continued by Part 6, Part 7, Part 8
We need an assault force. Mercenaries have seized a mountain town and taken hostages. Route the mercenaries and retake the town.
Quote:
18:00 <bookworm>: So I was rereading the logs for this mission and realized how we could have done this much better and with greater chance of success. Hindsight is 20/20 >_>
18:00 <Tikvah>: Oh?
18:00 <bookworm>: I missed a few details when playing in real time that would have helped form a tighter plan.
18:01 <bookworm>: Instead of hinging the whole thing on 'I hope Cyrus is asleep, if he's not oh well' we could have actually made sure he was when we acted.
18:01 <bookworm>: He's vulnerable to flattery, Levi should have buttered him up. Could have got a position as his errand boy, or even bodyguard if he started a rumor to Cyrus that he was in danger from jealous rivals.
18:02 <Tikvah>: How would that make him go to sleep?
18:03 <bookworm>: Not make him; but Levi would then be able to hang around him to see when he did. Even guard his room maybe. So we could know for sure when he went to bed and move in then.
18:04 <bookworm>: Or, we could actually make him if we found a sleepy poison instead of a puffy one, Levi could have given it to him without suspicion disguised as part of the pandering. This kind of ego wouldn't question a treat given from an admirer.
18:04 <bookworm>: Anyway too late.
18:06 <Tikvah>: I guess so.
18:08 <Skid>: Okay.
18:08 Skid is now known as Skid_GMing
18:09 <Skid_GMing>: Let's get this show on the road then.
18:10 bookworm is now known as Gareth
18:10 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
18:10 Woody is now known as Joshua
18:11 <Gareth>: Can you clarify our position in the hallway
18:13 <Skid_GMing>: If I recall correctly, you were right at Cyrus's door, and had just cast bind tongue on him as he opened it a crack. Olwen and Levi were further back near the hatch.
18:13 <Gareth>: So he and I are in the doorway? Or has he come into the hall
18:14 <Skid_GMing>: He's still on his side of the door. I guess everyone should roll initative to see who goes next.
18:15 <Gareth>: !roll d20
18:15 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 8
18:15 <Olwen>: !roll d20
18:15 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 5
18:17 <Gareth>: If I were to push him into a force wall, am I correct in thinking it will absorb the impact in the sense of making less clatter than if he slammed into the metal door?
18:17 <Skid_GMing>: The door is wooden. And yes, it would.
18:18 <Skid_GMing>: That ship may have sailed, however.
18:18 <Gareth>: Oh I was sure you said metal
18:18 <Gareth>: Is something else in here metal?
18:18 <Gareth>: And yes I know it's too late for that, I was just curious for future reference. If it came to a push at some point, if it mattered, for noise, if I were to intentionally aim it.
18:19 <Skid_GMing>: Not explicitly. It's mostly stone. Oh. The door at the end of the hall is barred and renforced with metal bands.
18:19 <Gareth>: That's what it was yeah
18:20 <Skid_GMing>: Give me a sec to login to Imgur and I'll have the layout map you requested.
18:21 <Skid_GMing>: Joshua.
18:21 <Skid_GMing>: You're up to roll intative.
18:21 <Joshua>: !roll d20
18:21 <Dicebot>: Joshua: 13
18:22 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, so Cyrus goes first. He crashes through the door sending shards splintering in every direction. He swings a sword at Gareth. Dodge.
18:23 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized
18:23 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized: 17
18:23 <Joshua>: Dang, he has his swords
18:23 <Gareth>: I have a backup plan
18:23 <Joshua>: We're screwed
18:23 <Gareth>: Why? You almost beat him single handed. We're three against one
18:23 <Skid_GMing>: You just manage to duck under his attack. His swing raises sparks from the far wall.
18:24 <Skid_GMing>: Joshua's turn.
18:24 <Joshua>: Because, Stinky Pete's gonna show up, I just know it
18:24 <Gareth>: Not if we're quick and quiet
18:24 <Joshua>: How close am I??
18:25 <Skid_GMing>: You're within 10 feet to close with him. He's in the hallway.
18:25 <Joshua>: Alright, I cast Defender of the Weak on Gareth
18:25 <Skid_GMing>: Excellent. Gareth. Go.
18:25 <Gareth>: I appreciate that, whatever it is
18:26 <Joshua>: You get my armor
18:26 <Skid_GMing>: You use Joshua's armor instead of yours when calculating damage taken.
18:26 <Gareth>: Forever?
18:26 <Gareth>: And instead of him?
18:26 <Joshua>: It's only 2 armor until I go braced, though
18:26 <Skid_GMing>: for 1 minute, while within 10 feet.
18:27 <Joshua>: 1 minute wasn't specified =P
18:27 <Joshua>: Oh wait, it was
18:27 <Skid_GMing>: Eh, doesn't matter.
18:27 <Joshua>: Sorry
18:27 <Gareth>: Does he still have armor too
18:27 <Joshua>: Yes
18:27 <Gareth>: Sweet
18:28 <Gareth>: I step back to clear a path to Cyrus for the others, pull out the sunlight disk and shine it in his eyes.
18:28 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, roll a speed check.
18:28 <Gareth>: !roll d20
18:28 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 4
18:29 <Skid_GMing>: He squints in the glare.
18:29 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen?
18:29 <Gareth>: Meh
18:29 <Gareth>: Was a good idea
18:31 <Gareth>: I put the disk aside to at least light the room
18:31 <Olwen>: How far away am I?
18:31 <Skid_GMing>: About 10 feet.
18:32 <Skid_GMing>: With Gareth and Levi between you and Cyrus.
18:32 <Olwen>: Oh, that makes it harder.
18:32 <Gareth>: I cleared a path
18:32 <Skid_GMing>: Not terribly harder.
18:32 <Olwen>: Are they entirely blocking the way?
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: Blocking if you want to move up there, not blocking if you want to shoot.
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: And Cyrus is brightly illuminated by the sun disk.
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: You can drop it as a free action at the beginning of your next turn, if you wish to.
18:33 <Gareth>: K
18:34 <Olwen>: I use flurry of strikes on Cyrus.
18:34 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
18:34 <Olwen>: !roll d20
18:34 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 14
18:34 <Skid_GMing>: Skill is specialized, right?
18:34 <Olwen>: Oh, yeah.
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: You loose a burst of arrows down the hallway. Two of them strike Cyrus as he blinks in the bright light.
18:37 <Skid_GMing>: From Pete's room, you hear hammering as he attempts to open the force-walled door.
18:37 <Joshua>: Toldya
18:37 <Gareth>: That's why I blocked him
18:37 <Gareth>: Is it impairing his awareness?
18:37 <Gareth>: The light
18:37 <Skid_GMing>: You can't tell for sure.
18:37 <Skid_GMing>: And Cyrus attacks again, lunging for Gareth with both swords.
18:38 <Gareth>: Am I able to dispell a wall before it fades if I wanted to?
18:38 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:39 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized
18:39 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized: 16
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: You retain your limbs, dodging both swords as they cut harmlessly at air.
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: Joshua.
18:40 <Joshua>: Braced defense
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
18:41 <Gareth>: Cyrus gets two turns?
18:41 <Joshua>: Wait..
18:41 <Skid_GMing>: Cyrus attacks with both swords at once.
18:41 <Joshua>: I should move closer first...?
18:41 <Gareth>: Are we back at the top of the order?
18:41 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth, your armor rating just went up as well. And it's your turn.
18:42 <Joshua>: Am I too far away to attack?
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: No.
18:42 <Joshua>: Okay, good
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: http://i.imgur.com/qJ4cGeV.jpg
18:43 <Gareth>: I scoot the disk aside, leaving it up to light the room.
18:43 <Gareth>: And shoot a plasma bolt
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: Fire away.
18:43 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized, effort to damage
18:43 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized, effort to damage: 3
18:43 <Gareth>: I didn't mean to do that
18:43 <Gareth>: >_>
18:43 <Gareth>: Forgot to consult my cost sheet
18:44 <Gareth>: Too early to be spending effort points
18:44 <Skid_GMing>: Your shot bounces down the hall behind Cyrus. Olwen?
18:44 <Skid_GMing>: Well, early in a bossfight isn't a bad time to spend them.
18:44 <Olwen>: Hmm..
18:45 <Gareth>: Yeah but not straight out of the gate
18:45 <Gareth>: One more round at least
18:45 <Olwen>: Is the way still clear to shoot?
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:45 <Olwen>: Then I shoot at Cyrus.
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
18:46 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized, 1 effort
18:46 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized, 1 effort: 14
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: Effort to?
18:46 <Olwen>: damage
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: You stick an arrow through his shoulder.
18:47 <Olwen>: :D
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: Suddenly, the wall of Pete's room explodes beside you, showering you with rocky fragments. Dodge.
18:48 <Joshua>: Who?
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen, still.
18:48 <Joshua>: Just making sure it wasn't all of us
18:49 <Joshua>: We have no idea what Pete's abilities are... dang
18:49 <Gareth>: Magic badness
18:51 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen?
18:53 <Olwen>: Gah, sorry
18:53 <Olwen>: !roll d20 trained
18:53 <Dicebot>: Olwen, trained: 18
18:54 <Skid_GMing>: You leap aside as a cunk of stone wall is driven through the passageway, opening a breach from Pete's room into the hallway and onward into Cyrus's chamber.
18:55 <Skid_GMing>: In opening you see Pete, clad only in a pair of striped pink pantaloons and cluching his staff. Where his eyes should be, smooth skin is instead.
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: Cyrus aims for a less limber opponent, striking desperately at Levi with his swords.
18:57 <Skid_GMing>: Dodge.
18:58 <Joshua>: !roll d20 trained
18:58 <Dicebot>: Joshua, trained: 16
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you guys are making your defense rolls today.
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: Cyrus hits nothing but air.
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: Joshua, your turn.
19:01 <Gareth>: So I need to silence Pete now before I go zapping; so I need another round to attack.
19:01 <Gareth>: You guys need to start making a dent
19:03 <Skid_GMing>: Oh, Cyrus is definitely dented.
19:03 <Gareth>: Already?
19:03 <Joshua>: I attack, then
19:03 <Olwen>: What is he dented from? 0_o
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: Arrows.
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: So, more perforated than dented.
19:04 <Joshua>: !roll d20 specialized light 1 effort to damage
19:04 <Dicebot>: Joshua, specialized light 1 effort to damage: 13
19:04 <Joshua>: Yusssssss
19:04 <Joshua>: That had to have made a good sized dent
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: Oh, I forgot. He takes scratch damage from your shield as well.
19:05 <Joshua>: !roll d20 specialized light 1 effort to damage
19:05 <Dicebot>: Joshua, specialized light 1 effort to damage: 20
19:05 <Joshua>: =D
19:05 <Skid_GMing>: Well then.
19:05 <Joshua>: This is going very well
19:05 <Skid_GMing>: Whatcha gonna do?
19:05 <Gareth>: Do you roll for the shield?
19:05 <Gareth>: I thought it just did whatever
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: Shield auto hits when an enemy misses.
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: So, what's your critical effect?
19:06 <Gareth>: So disregard the 20 unfortunately
19:06 <Gareth>: Oh
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: No, that's for his second hit with the rapier.
19:06 <Gareth>: Yes I just figured that out. I didn't see confirmation the first had hit
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: Well, it did hit, just barely.
19:07 <Gareth>: Ok great
19:07 <Joshua>: Can I make the attack go to both of them?
19:07 <Joshua>: Pete and Cyrus?
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: No, Pete is too far away.
19:07 <Joshua>: It was a level extra, no? (The first hit?)
19:07 <Joshua>: Level 4 + 3 assets?
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: Yes. It was.
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: I'm waiting on my description to see what your crit effect is though.
19:08 <Joshua>: OK, well, let's go ahead and run Cyrus through, then
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. You stab, and stab again, inflicting a vital wound. Cyrus is in rough shape.
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth?
19:09 <Gareth>: I consider shining the disk in Pete's eyes... for a second
19:09 <Gareth>: ;)
19:09 <Gareth>: I want to give the situation a quick lookover to judge who is the stronger enemy. (In terms of needing a higher roll to hit.)
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: Roll perception.
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: Or tactics, if you've got it.
19:09 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
19:09 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 4
19:10 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you can't really tell which would be harder. Pete has something strange and magical going on, which reminds you a little of your own distort space spell.
19:11 <Gareth>: I cast bind tongue on Pete.
19:12 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:12 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen?
19:12 <Gareth>: (For the curious, the reason I checked that was so if they're both alive still on my next turn I wanted to figure out which to set as the initial target of chain lightning)
19:13 <Gareth>: Because the chain decreases in accuracy each jump, so it should be started at the hardest to hit
19:13 <Gareth>: Hopefully Cyrus won't last that long and it won't matter though
19:13 <Olwen>: Pete is nearer to me, right?
19:13 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:14 <Olwen>: I shoot at him.
19:14 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:14 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized, 1 effort to hit
19:14 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized, 1 effort to hit: 9
19:15 <Skid_GMing>: Something invisible nudges the arrow as it flies towards Pete, deflecting it over his shoulder.
19:17 <Gareth>: Finish off Cyrus
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: He steps into the hallway and points his staff. A concussive blast of force rushes forward. Strength checks all around to stay on your feet.
19:17 <Olwen>: !roll d20
19:17 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 18
19:17 <Gareth>: !roll d20
19:17 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 14
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: Joshua?
19:19 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a might defense check.
19:19 <Joshua>: !roll d20 1 effort
19:19 <Dicebot>: Joshua, 1 effort: 15
19:20 <Joshua>: Hey, my might effort is free, why not?
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: Excatly.
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth, you're knocked sprawling at Cyrus's feet. The rest of the party manages to withstand the blast.
19:20 <Gareth>: Not a problem
19:21 <Gareth>: Well, are all spells less accurate prone, or just attacks?
19:21 <Joshua>: Level 5, then
19:21 <Joshua>: At least we know how high a level Pete is
19:21 <Joshua>: Oh, he may be 6
19:21 <Gareth>: Oh wait, the others don't have a roll
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: Spells too, if being prone puts you at a disadvantagous position.
19:22 <Gareth>: Yeah attack spells, but I meant other types of spells
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: Not generally, no.
19:22 <Joshua>: Cyrus, Levi, Gareth, Olwen, Pete, right?
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:22 <Gareth>: But then I realized they don't need a roll so there must not be accuracy checks needed so it doesn't matter
19:22 <Joshua>: So Cyrus now, then
19:23 <Skid_GMing>: Cyrus bolts, fleeing down the hallway and unbarring the door at the end, he kicks it open, revealing the spiral staircase beyond.
19:23 <Joshua>: Uh-oh
19:23 <Gareth>: I thought you were blocking that!
19:23 <Gareth>: UUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH
19:24 <Joshua>: Hmm...
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: And Joshua's turn.
19:24 <Gareth>: Well we're doomed
19:24 <Gareth>: Just call in the troops now, plan is shot
19:24 <Joshua>: How hard would it be to throw my sword and skewer him?
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: Moderately difficult?
19:25 <Skid_GMing>: He's close enough that you could just move up and skewer him.
19:26 <Gareth>: Oh okay, we get three shots at him before he leaves
19:26 <Gareth>: We still have this, just make sure you hit
19:26 <Joshua>: Hit, not damage, got it
19:26 <Gareth>: Exactly
19:26 <Joshua>: Is he rough enough for a kill?
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: He's rough enough to run away.
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: Which, given what you know about his ego...
19:26 <Joshua>: !roll d20 specialized light 1 effort to hit
19:26 <Dicebot>: Joshua, specialized light 1 effort to hit: 6
19:27 <Joshua>: Wow, that is just the right roll
19:27 <Gareth>: X.x
19:27 <Olwen>: >.<
19:27 <Joshua>: Lvl 2 + 4 assets
19:27 <Joshua>: It's a hit =D
19:27 <Skid_GMing>: 2+2+1+1=6
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: You leap after him, striking the fatal blow. His limp corpse rolls down the stairs.
19:28 <Gareth>: I immediately wall up the door
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen?
19:30 <Olwen>: Where is Pete?
19:30 <Skid_GMing>: He's at the end of the hall under the hatch.
19:30 <Olwen>: OK, we need to take him out next.
19:31 <Skid_GMing>: Actually, roll perception checks all around.
19:31 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
19:31 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 6
19:31 <Joshua>: Um, guys
19:31 <Joshua>: He rolled down the stairs
19:32 <Joshua>: !roll d20
19:32 <Dicebot>: Joshua: 14
19:32 <Gareth>: We'll get him later
19:32 <Joshua>: You don't think anyone will notice?
19:33 <Gareth>: While asleep in their rooms, no I don't
19:33 <Gareth>: We'll be done here before they start roaming around
19:33 <Joshua>: (BTW, he wouldn't have happened to drop his swords, would he?)
19:33 <Skid_GMing>: His swords went down with him, unfortunately.
19:33 <Gareth>: Later!
19:33 <Joshua>: I'll have to grab those later
19:33 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained effort
19:33 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained effort: 11
19:34 <Joshua>: Wait
19:34 <Joshua>: Can I use my leftover attack to move closer to Pete?
19:34 <Skid_GMing>: Eh, not really.
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: You guys hear some movement down the stairs, and shouting outside on the walls. And Gareth, you feel the slight numbing sensation that the hooded woman is nearby.
19:35 <Gareth>: Bleep
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: Pete's wall explosion kinda destroyed any chance of this going down quietly.
19:36 <Gareth>: So it didn't matter what plan we came up with, we weren't avoiding waking the castle
19:36 <Joshua>: Dang it
19:36 <Gareth>: I thought these captain's quarters were away from general barracks
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: They were. Up the tower above them.
19:37 <Gareth>: I want a do over on this entire mission
19:38 <Olwen>: That wouldn't be very fair.
19:38 <Gareth>: The whole thing has been sloppy, I don't know why I'm not anticipating things like I usually do
19:38 <Skid_GMing>: Honestly, you guys aren't doing badly so far.
19:38 <Gareth>: No, for sure, but we should be doing a lot better
19:38 <Gareth>: I haven't been paying close enough attention
19:39 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, Olwen's turn, isn't it?
19:39 <Gareth>: So the whole castle is going to errupt then
19:39 <Gareth>: Get that flare off Olwen
19:40 <Olwen>: I need to get out the hatch.
19:40 <Olwen>: But Pete's in the way.
19:40 <Olwen>: Do we know how fast he is?
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: He's an old man.
19:41 <Olwen>: I could try to dodge past him.
19:42 <Olwen>: Skid, is the hatch still open?
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: Unless you guys closed it.
19:42 <Gareth>: I did
19:42 <Gareth>: Implied if not said
19:43 <Gareth>: But I think I said
19:43 <Olwen>: What? Why would you do that?
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: To keep noise from escaping?
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: Or Pete.
19:43 <Olwen>: Argh...
19:44 <Gareth>: Because we were getting off the roof to avoid the guard walking around. You agreed with it
19:44 <Olwen>: How many turns does it take to open?
19:44 <Skid_GMing>: One movement.
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: You could move to it and exit in a single turn.
19:45 <Olwen>: Well, I can't get out this turn.
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: Given a dodge roll to get by Pete.
19:45 <Olwen>: Wait, can I get over there and open it in 1?
19:46 <Skid_GMing>: You're not in a long hallway.
19:47 <Gareth>: Just attack Pete, one round won't make a difference in arrival time
19:47 <Olwen>: I shoot.
19:47 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:47 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized 1 effort to hit
19:47 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized 1 effort to hit: 14
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: That's a hit. Pete takes a shot, stumbling backwards.
19:48 <Olwen>: Whooo!
19:49 <Skid_GMing>: Pete directs another force blast down the hallway, angled upwards. It brings masonry crashing down, opening the hall to the sky. Roll dodges all around.
19:51 <Olwen>: !roll d20 trained 1 effort
19:51 <Dicebot>: Olwen, trained 1 effort: 5
19:51 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized
19:51 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized: 7
19:52 <Joshua>: !roll d20 trained
19:52 <Dicebot>: Joshua, trained: 13
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: Everyone takes 6 might damage from falling rocks.
19:53 <Olwen>: O_O
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: Armor applies.
19:55 <Gareth>: How much do I have Levi?
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: 2.
19:55 <Joshua>: 4
19:56 <Joshua>: Braced Defense...?
19:56 <Skid_GMing>: You left stance to run forward and attack.
19:56 <Joshua>: Dang
19:57 <Gareth>: Two from Levi? Or total?
19:57 <Gareth>: Do I still get mine?
19:57 <Joshua>: Unfortunately, no
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: You just use Levi's instead of yours if it's higher than yours.
19:57 <Gareth>: Well it's the same at the moment
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: So no real benefit.
19:57 <Gareth>: There was when braced
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: And Joshua's turn. You're standing in a collapsed hallway amidst piles of rubble. Above you twinkle stars. Ahead, the underdressed man who dropped rocks on you.
19:57 <Joshua>: What can I do?
19:58 <Skid_GMing>: Well, behind you is the force-walled stairway. Forward, your allies and an open door to Cyrus's room.
20:00 <Gareth>: I have to go! :(
20:00 <Joshua>: D=
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, let's hold here then.
20:01 <Skid_GMing>: Pulverizing Pete can wait for another day.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:56 pm 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts: 1343
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 392.74
Bank: 0.00
Bookworm takes a patrol to hunt down a few of the escaping mercenaries, tracking them to a treehouse in the forest. They learn that it's unwise to use magical weapons you don't understand.

Bookworm earns 2 XP, recovers Steadfast Boots.

Steadfast Boots (asset to resisting movement) These tough-looking boots have an agressive tread that helps the wearer resist being pushed from anywhere they choose to stand.


Top
  Offline Profile  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:59 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14178
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 641.50
Bank: 55,109.36
Mercenary Occupation, Session 6 of 8
Continued from Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Continued by Part 7, Part 8
We need an assault force. Mercenaries have seized a mountain town and taken hostages. Route the mercenaries and retake the town.
Quote:
18:09 bookworm is now known as Gareth
18:09 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
18:09 Woody is now known as Leviticus
18:09 Penguin joined #Gowers
18:09 <Skid_GMing>: We rejoin our heroes, facing off again the underwear-clad Eyeless-Pete down a rubble-filled hallway.
18:09 <Gareth>: Okay, forget what I was saying before. We don't need to call in the troops this instant, we should concentrate all actions on taking out Pete before the magic choker gets here and you're on your own.
18:10 Leviticus nods
18:10 <Olwen>: OK.
18:11 <Skid_GMing>: Penguin, you interested in playing tonight?
18:11 <Penguin>: I'm just gonna watch tonight
18:11 <Gareth>: I believe it was Olwen's move?
18:12 <Skid_GMing>: It's Levi's move.
18:12 <Gareth>: I thought we quit as Olwen was about to shoot the flare out the door
18:13 <Skid_GMing>: We discussed it, but it wasn't her go just yet.
18:13 <Gareth>: Ah ok
18:13 <Olwen>: What are our positions again?
18:13 <Skid_GMing>: The hallway is about 20 feet long, you and Gareth are in the middle, facing Pete, Levi as at the far end by the stairs.
18:13 <Olwen>: Got it.
18:14 <Gareth>: And a wall over the exit
18:14 <Gareth>: 'Exit' to the inside, not the roof
18:14 <Leviticus>: What're my options, Skid?
18:15 <Skid_GMing>: You've got 20 feet of rubble strewn hallway to reach Pete, a ceiling open to the sky, and doors to either side, to Pete and Cyrus's rooms.
18:15 <Skid_GMing>: And a stairway behind you, where Cyrus fell and Gareth blocked with a force wall.
18:15 <Leviticus>: Can I send the demon dog to appear behind Pete?
18:16 <Skid_GMing>: Roll an animal handling check.
18:16 <Skid_GMing>: Yes, hypothetically.
18:16 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
18:16 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 19
18:17 <Skid_GMing>: That's a success. Your poodle emerges from the shadows directly behind Pete.
18:17 <Leviticus>: Can I cast Defender?
18:17 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:17 <Leviticus>: I do that as well, then
18:18 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
18:18 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 1
18:18 <Olwen>: Oohhh..
18:18 <Skid_GMing>: Your poodle acts at the bottom of the turn order.
18:18 <Skid_GMing>: Levi, Gareth, Tikvah, Pete, others, Poodle, for reference.
18:19 <Skid_GMing>: Oh, who are you defending?
18:19 <Leviticus>: Poodle
18:20 <Leviticus>: Oh. Too far
18:20 <Leviticus>: Sorry
18:21 <Leviticus>: Give it to Olwen, then
18:21 <Skid_GMing>: And Gareth's turn.
18:22 <Gareth>: I distort space on Pete
18:23 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. The air around him twists, cancelling out whatever effect he was using to repel projectiles.
18:23 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen?
18:24 <Olwen>: I shoot at Pete.
18:24 <Skid_GMing>: Fire away.
18:24 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized 1 effort to damage
18:24 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized 1 effort to damage: 5
18:25 <Skid_GMing>: You narrowly miss him. Pete dives for the breach in the wall, disappearing into Cyrus's room. You hear an explosion of shattering masonry.
18:25 <Gareth>: Bleep
18:25 <Gareth>: That's not fair
18:26 <Olwen>: Rats.
18:27 <Skid_GMing>: You all hear pounding footsteps on the stairs below. aaand, Levi's turn again.
18:27 <Olwen>: So do we call in the troops?
18:27 <Gareth>: Well there's not going to be any infighting since Pete will call us out, so no they'll be impossibility outnumbered
18:27 <Skid_GMing>: You're forgetting something you did recently. Muted Pete.
18:28 <Gareth>: For a minute
18:28 <Gareth>: By the time he finds anyone it will wear off
18:28 <Gareth>: Wait
18:28 <Gareth>: He went into the room? :|
18:28 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:29 <Gareth>: That's a dead end
18:29 <Gareth>: Oh he made a new door
18:29 <Skid_GMing>: You're all standing very close to the door to Cyrus's room. Might be worth stepping in to get a look.
18:29 <Gareth>: Yeah we should at least follow until we run into someone else
18:32 <Leviticus>: Well, I enter
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: You step into a room, against the near wall stands a luxurious canopy bed, the linens strewn with silver coins. Beside it, a full-length silver mirror shimmers in the air. The far wall, once solid, has a large breach in it, which Pete is on the brink of leaping from.
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: The rest of the room holds the regular assortment of chests, torches, and furniture.
18:34 <Gareth>: Pull him back!
18:34 <Leviticus>: What's on the other side of the breach?
18:34 <Gareth>: Outside
18:34 <Skid_GMing>: Empty space. Descending to the courtyard.
18:35 <Leviticus>: So... he's committing suicide?
18:35 <Gareth>: He can fly I'm sure. Mage
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a magical knowledge check?
18:35 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
18:35 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 11
18:36 <Skid_GMing>: He's a force mage of some sort. Spell options probably include a way to cushion falls.
18:36 <Gareth>: Alright, as long as they don't pin this on us right away the original plan still works. We get Pete before he can talk, let them find both boss bodies, and go crazy. We hole up somewhere while they fight it out, picking off the occasional person that finds us if anyone does, and when sufficient infighting has transpired flare for reinforcements, yes?
18:36 <Leviticus>: Sounds good
18:37 <Leviticus>: So, what can I do to stop him?
18:38 <Gareth>: Grab his gown and pull him back
18:38 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you've got a fast-moving animal at your disposal.
18:38 <Leviticus>: To do what? Push him out?
18:39 <Gareth>: No, to grab him and pull him back..
18:39 <Gareth>: Am I on mute?
18:39 <Skid_GMing>: Actually, it should be acting before you do anyway.
18:39 <Skid_GMing>: So... you actually see Pete on the brink of the drop, with a poodle sinking its teeth into his arm.
18:39 <Gareth>: Already grappled? Nice
18:39 <Leviticus>: I grab Pete and pull him back
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. Roll a grapple check.
18:40 <Gareth>: Tell the dog to pull, probably stronger? Since he already has him
18:41 <Gareth>: Or whatever, just get him back from the hole
18:41 <Gareth>: Do the gauntlets help with that?
18:41 <Leviticus>: I assume this is might?
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: I believe they do.
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:43 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 1 effort 1 asset from gauntlets
18:43 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, 1 effort 1 asset from gauntlets: 17
18:44 <Skid_GMing>: You take Pete down with a flying tackle.
18:44 <Gareth>: Out the window...
18:44 <Skid_GMing>: You're both lying on the edge.
18:44 <Olwen>: Whew.
18:44 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth's turn.
18:44 <Gareth>: Define edge
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: Teetering brink.
18:45 <Gareth>: Outside the alignment of the wall, or even with it
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: Even with it.
18:46 <Gareth>: Good, I put a force wall up where the real one should be
18:46 <Gareth>: A few inches out that is, since they're where it should technically go
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. You seal up the hole in the outside wall.
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen?
18:47 <Olwen>: Can I enter the room and still do an action?
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:47 <Gareth>: I assume he'll be hard pressed to dodge while Levi is squishing him?
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: Very hard pressed, though the combination of Levi and the dog are providing partial cover.
18:48 <Leviticus>: Don't hit me, Olwen =P
18:49 <Olwen>: Wait.. What is the state of the door that the re-enforcements will be coming through?
18:49 <Leviticus>: Force walled
18:49 <Olwen>: OK
18:49 <Olwen>: I enter the room.
18:49 <Gareth>: Is the dog doing damage?
18:49 <Olwen>: How close am I to Pete?
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: About 10 to 20 feet, your choice.
18:51 <Olwen>: I want to still be able to shoot.
18:51 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. 15 feet. =p
18:52 <Olwen>: Alright, I take a shot at Pete, carefully.
18:53 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
18:54 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized 1 effort to hit
18:54 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized 1 effort to hit: 2
18:54 <Olwen>: O_O
18:54 <Leviticus>: -_-
18:54 <Gareth>: x_x
18:54 <Leviticus>: How much damage do I take, Skid?
18:54 <Olwen>: I'm sorry Levi...
18:55 <Gareth>: I would think friendly fire is only a crit fail
18:55 <Gareth>: This would just miss
18:55 <Gareth>: Hopefully
18:55 <Skid_GMing>: She rolled a level 3 attack, she manages to miss everyone.
18:55 <Olwen>: Whew.
18:56 <Leviticus>: Whew
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: Pete attempts to break free, levitating himself, Levi, and the poodle into the air, slamming against the ceiling. Roll a grapple check to hold on.
18:56 <Gareth>: Awesome
18:56 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 1 effort 1 asset
18:56 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, 1 effort 1 asset: 5
18:57 <Skid_GMing>: You lose your grip on Pete and crash back to the floor. The poodle holds on, however.
18:58 <Gareth>: You have to let go to attack anyway
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: Outside you hear scuffling as the reenforcements encounter the force wall on the stairs.
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: And Pete writhes in pain as the poodle gnaws on him.
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: Top of the turn order!
18:59 <Leviticus>: I cast Defender on the poodle
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: It should still be live from before.
19:00 <Gareth>: It was on Olwen before
19:00 <Leviticus>: It was too far last time, remember?
19:00 <Leviticus>: So I gave it to Olwen
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:01 <Leviticus>: Do I have room for another action?
19:01 <Skid_GMing>: No, that's your action if you're casting.
19:02 <Leviticus>: Okay
19:02 <Skid_GMing>: So... Gareth's go.
19:03 <Gareth>: Swing at him
19:03 <Gareth>: Oh
19:04 <Gareth>: We can't do this if we don't get ahead of the action. Those guys will get through before we get Pete at this rate
19:04 <Gareth>: I zap
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
19:05 <Gareth>: With chain lightning
19:05 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:05 <Gareth>: For the extra damage, even though there's nothing to jump too
19:06 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized
19:06 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized: 8
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: You land a lighting bolt squarely in Pete's center of mass. He goes limp, dropping from the ceiling like a rock.
19:07 <Gareth>: Oh he was still up there? Lol
19:07 <Leviticus>: YUS
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: Silver coins bounce across the floor around you.
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: Actually, as you have moment to look around, you notice that there is a massive number of silver nobles scattered around the room and heaped in two small chests.
19:07 <Olwen>: Ooh, money.
19:07 <Leviticus>: Dead, I presume?
19:07 <Gareth>: Not from one hit
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: Not the first hit.
19:08 <Gareth>: Had we started in last time?
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: He got shot once, got chewed on and zapped just now.
19:09 <Gareth>: Oh he did get shot
19:09 <Gareth>: Great
19:09 <Gareth>: Free actions now?
19:10 <Skid_GMing>: You have a little while to act before the stairs barrier is breached.
19:10 <Gareth>: I peek into the hall and put another wall behind the one on the door.
19:10 <Leviticus>: Let's hide the money
19:11 <Olwen>: No, we can get it later, can't we?
19:11 <Gareth>: "Okay, set the plan quick!"
19:11 <Skid_GMing>: You see several burly mercenaries shoving at the force wall, and shouting for someone to get the Magehunter.
19:11 <Leviticus>: Skid, my animals can take objects with them to the Shadowpath, right?
19:11 <Skid_GMing>: They can carry some items, yes.
19:12 <Olwen>: Too bad they couldn't take us.
19:12 <Olwen>: Now we just have to get out of here.
19:12 <Gareth>: If everyone is coming up here to get us, how do we get them fighting each other?
19:12 <Leviticus>: I summon Numbers to take one of the chests to the Shadowpath
19:12 <Skid_GMing>: It's actually going to be too heavy for him to carry.
19:12 <Leviticus>: Just to leave it hidden in the other dimension, not to carry along
19:12 <Gareth>: The money isn't going anywhere
19:13 <Gareth>: We might be if we don't focus
19:13 <Olwen>: We get out of here and wait till morning when we poison them, right?
19:13 <Gareth>: The poison part is definitely out now, we were discovered
19:13 <Leviticus>: Shame, it was such a good plan
19:13 <Skid_GMing>: You remember what mercenaries fight for, right?
19:13 <Olwen>: Ooh, right.
19:13 <Leviticus>: The money is most definitely going somewhere if we leave it here with its owners dead =P
19:13 <Olwen>: They will fight over the money.
19:14 <Gareth>: Wait, they're going to be that dumb? To stop pursuing us, clearly fleeing the scene?
19:14 <Gareth>: Not complaining, just surprised
19:14 <Skid_GMing>: In the courtyard there's a confused shouting as mercenaries wake up and speculate on the nature of the explosions in the tower.
19:15 <Leviticus>: Skid, can the two animals together carry it long enough to get it into the Shadowpath?
19:15 <Leviticus>: I don't want to carry it around, just have it hidden so we can come back to it
19:16 <Skid_GMing>: Sure.
19:16 <Leviticus>: Perfect
19:16 <Olwen>: So we still need to get out of here.
19:16 <Leviticus>: One chest is left for the mercs to fight over, and one is hidden for us
19:16 <Leviticus>: Let's leave, then
19:16 <Olwen>: How?
19:16 <Leviticus>: That giant opening, maybe?
19:16 <Gareth>: Okay, so the original idea holds, I was just envisioning it backwards
19:16 <Gareth>: We *let* them all come up, and they fight it out *here* over the money.
19:17 <Gareth>: We just need to get out somehow
19:17 <Gareth>: Then we circle back and we're downstairs while they keep running *up*. Same idea, just flip the original image
19:17 <Olwen>: Are there many people on the wall?
19:17 <Olwen>: We can't go into the courtyard.
19:17 <Leviticus>: Gareth, horizontal force wall 8 feet down?
19:17 <Leviticus>: That'd hold us
19:17 <Leviticus>: While Olwen grapples us to the wall
19:17 <Olwen>: People will see us.
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: Perception check for wall guards?
19:18 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained
19:18 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained: 16
19:18 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
19:18 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 2
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: There's actually a small crowd forming on the walls.
19:18 <Olwen>: -_-
19:18 <Olwen>: OK, grapple it is then.
19:18 <Leviticus>: OH
19:18 <Leviticus>: DUH
19:18 <Olwen>: ..what?
19:19 <Leviticus>: We hang a rope from the opening, and rappel to the courtyard
19:19 <Gareth>: We can go back through the door on the roof, if we hide our faces from the guys in the hall
19:19 <Olwen>: yeah.
19:19 <Olwen>: How light is it in here?
19:20 <Gareth>: They'll just see unidentified people scurrying away, adding to the confusion
19:20 <Gareth>: It's okay if they see 'us' just not who we are
19:20 <Leviticus>: Oh. Heh. That's easy
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: The room you're in is tastefully candlelit.
19:21 <Gareth>: Ooh, we could be throwing some coins around as we run out too, to wet their appetite to break through
19:21 <Gareth>: That should get their minds on checking the room rather than following us
19:21 <Olwen>: OK, let's go.
19:21 <Leviticus>: I stuff my pockets with coins, and hold a handful to drop casually on the way out
19:22 <Gareth>: We have hoods right?
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:23 <Olwen>: Alright, we ready?
19:23 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, how are you exiting, exactly?
19:23 <Gareth>: I put my hood up and quickly go to the roof door.
19:23 <Olwen>: I follow.
19:23 <Gareth>: Straight out and to the door. No nonsense, to the onlookers
19:23 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:24 <Gareth>: I open it and go up, stepping to the side outside.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you're on the roof of the tower.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: It's as empty as you left it.
19:24 <Leviticus>: I drop a few coins on the way out
19:25 <Gareth>: When Levi comes out I close the door and put a wall over it.
19:25 <Skid_GMing>: The door to Cyrus's room or the door to the roof? Because there's a huuge hole in the hallway ceiling.
19:26 <Gareth>: Can they get out the ceiling?
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: A limber climber could.
19:26 <Gareth>: I do it anyway. No cost
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a deception check as you drop the coins.
19:27 <Gareth>: Really?
19:27 <Gareth>: It was just to make them take notice, not send a specific message
19:27 <Skid_GMing>: Or diplomacy, or anything else that might be relevant.
19:28 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
19:28 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 15
19:28 <Leviticus>: That's decent
19:28 <Olwen>: OK, where's the emptiest place in the courtyard?
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you have acccess to the outside of the castle as well.
19:29 <Olwen>: Do we want out of the castle?
19:29 <Leviticus>: Yes
19:29 <Olwen>: I don't think people would notice we were gone in all the confusion.
19:29 <Gareth>: It doesn't matter right now, we'll circle back from wherever we end up
19:29 <Gareth>: If we can get outside that's good
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: The mercenaries shout "They've been in the pay chests!" and redouble their efforts to break into the hall.
19:30 <Olwen>: OK, I attach my grapple to the wall taking us outside the castle.
19:30 <Gareth>: Oh!
19:30 <Olwen>: yes?
19:30 <Gareth>: We could maybe scatter some spare coins around to fan the suspicion
19:30 <Gareth>: If they find them in other people's rooms
19:31 <Leviticus>: Ooooh
19:31 <Leviticus>: Clever
19:31 <Skid_GMing>: Well, that room was completely covered in scattered coin already.
19:31 <Gareth>: But they were supposed to be in that one weren't they?
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: True.
19:32 <Olwen>: Anyway, can we go?
19:32 <Gareth>: Give me a handful, I'll try it if the opportunity comes
19:33 <Gareth>: First priority is secure an exit
19:34 Leviticus gives Gareth some coins
19:34 <Gareth>: We go down the rope I guess
19:35 <Olwen>: Alright, I slide down the rope.
19:35 Leviticus follows
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you guys slide down the rope, landing in the brush outside the castle.
19:36 <Skid_GMing>: Arrows whistle into the turf arround you as the guards fire blindly into the dark.
19:36 <Olwen>: Has Gareth come down?
19:36 <Skid_GMing>: Yes, you all make it down.
19:36 <Gareth>: I go down and sneak back to the gate
19:36 <Gareth>: Alright, can we see what the general state of the castle is? Most everyone in an uproar by now, or most just confused at the clamor?
19:37 <Olwen>: I disengage the grapple and follow Gareth, making an attempt to look like I just woke up.
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: The confusion rises to a general outrage at the death of the mercenary leaders and the disappearance of half the pay.
19:38 <Skid_GMing>: The castle gate hangs open, a few of the of the mercenaries already slipping out into the darkness, heading for town.
19:38 <Gareth>: Do I know the name of some midlevel guy in the group?
19:39 <Olwen>: What was the name of that guy I talked to yesterday?
19:39 <Skid_GMing>: Yes, you've learned the names of a few mercenaries while hanging out at the tavern.
19:39 <Olwen>: The one that was in the dungeon and seemed rather incompetent?
19:39 <Skid_GMing>: Dave?
19:39 <Olwen>: Right.
19:40 <Gareth>: I don't think he's the right type
19:40 <Olwen>: I guess not.
19:40 <Gareth>: Did I catch the name of that guy that bullied the girl with the bread?
19:41 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm. Roll a retroactive investigate check.
19:42 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort, trained persuasion if appropriate
19:42 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort, trained persuasion if appropriate: 1
19:42 <Gareth>: Come on, I definitely would have asked about him
19:42 <Olwen>: Wow.
19:42 <Olwen>: Dicebot hates us tonight.
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: His name is Levar.
19:43 <Gareth>: Can Olwen confirm that? She would have surely asked around about him since she had that run-in
19:44 <Gareth>: "Olwen, what was that jerk's name?"
19:45 <Olwen>: How do I tell?
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: You might have learned it while hanging out with the mercenaries.
19:45 <Gareth>: Yeah
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: Roll to see if you did.
19:46 <Olwen>: !roll d20
19:46 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 13
19:46 <Olwen>: Well?
19:47 <Skid_GMing>: You're pretty sure his name was Boswick.
19:47 <Olwen>: That's what I tell Gareth.
19:47 <Gareth>: "Great."
19:47 <Gareth>: Ok, I'm going to try going back in briefly. Olwen, do you need to find the baker boy now or do you think it can wait? I dont want it to get too dangerous in there for him
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: A more organized party emerges from the front gates, bearing torches, armor, and weapons. They begin circling around the castle towards you. There's about 15 of them.
19:48 <Olwen>: Hmm, I guess I could try.
19:48 <Olwen>: Where was he again?
19:48 <Gareth>: I don't know
19:49 <Olwen>: Skid?
19:49 <Skid_GMing>: Probably in the dungeons, right now.
19:49 <Gareth>: Is there a way to get around them to the entrance?
19:49 <Skid_GMing>: You could circle around through the bushes. It'll necessitate a stealth check.
19:50 <Olwen>: How likely am I to be noticed if I just walk through the courtyard?
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: You're not at a good angle to see into the courtyard right now.
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: Roll an intellect-based stealth check to guess at the difficulty.
19:51 <Olwen>: !roll d20
19:51 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 6
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: You really have no idea without getting more information.
19:52 <Olwen>: Is it dark out here?
19:52 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:52 <Gareth>: I go through the bushes.
19:52 <Olwen>: Then I move so I can see into the courtyard without being seen.
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, stealth checks for your sneaking.
19:53 <Gareth>: !roll d20
19:53 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 14
19:53 <Olwen>: !roll d20
19:53 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 2
19:54 <Olwen>: Arghh.
19:54 <Gareth>: Two assets? Dark and cloaks?
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:54 <Gareth>: K
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth, you manage to slip away into the darkness, but there are shouts as the party turns and starts running towards Olwen's positon.
19:55 <Gareth>: I hope she can talk her way out, and go to the door.
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen, what do?
19:56 <Gareth>: Eh I should make sure she's okay
19:56 <Skid_GMing>: Well, she does have more than one high-power mobility options.
19:56 <Olwen>: Where exactly am I?
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: You're outside the castle wall, about 200 feet away from the gate, with a running mob between you and it.
19:57 <Leviticus>: Is my poodle rideable?
19:58 <Skid_GMing>: You could /try/ riding it. You don't have riding skill though.
19:58 <Olwen>: How far from the wall?
19:58 <Skid_GMing>: You're as far away from the wall itself as you want to say you are, within reason.
19:58 <Leviticus>: Is turning in the opposite direction from the gate an option?
19:58 <Leviticus>: Because I don't see any reason for me to go back in
19:58 <Skid_GMing>: Absolutely.
19:59 <Leviticus>: Especially since I'll be a prime suspect, considering how close I came to beating Cyrus
19:59 <Olwen>: How tall is the wall, and what's above me?
19:59 <Olwen>: Could I run up it?
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: The wall is about 30 feet high from here, and there are a scattering of people along it.
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check.
20:00 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
20:00 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 8
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: Most of them are looking up at the tower.
20:01 <Olwen>: Would the mob see me if I run up the wall?
20:01 <Skid_GMing>: There would be a stealth check involved, but the wall is dark.
20:02 <Olwen>: Is it worth going after the baker boy now? Or should I wait?
20:02 <Leviticus>: Gareth, advice. Should I enter the castle?
20:02 <Olwen>: Yeah, I want advice too.
20:03 <Gareth>: Levi: Not without a specific objective. If you don't need to do anything in there I would find a place to hide. I'm only going for a minute, then coming back out to wait out the fighting.
20:04 <Gareth>: Olwen: Do you know you have to run? I would try talking my way out. Once you run they know you're the one.
20:04 <Olwen>: I'm not a diplomat.
20:04 <Gareth>: They probably just want to question you?
20:04 <Gareth>: Can we tell the intent from the way they're approaching?
20:04 <Olwen>: I think it would be better if they don't find me.
20:05 <Gareth>: It would yes, but since they already saw you, you need to be sure you can get away if you run
20:06 <Olwen>: Why? They'll say I took their money, and then they'll stab me.
20:06 <Olwen>: I don't want to be stabbed.
20:06 <Olwen>: I think I should just leave and come back later.
20:07 <Gareth>: That's what I said, I thought. If you have a way to get away, you should do it.
20:07 <Gareth>: If you can't though, you need another way out of this confrontation because they're coming for you
20:07 <Olwen>: OK, I'm pretty sure I can get away.
20:08 <Gareth>: Okay I'll wait here to make sure.
20:08 <Leviticus>: Can they see me, Skid?
20:08 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a stealth check.
20:08 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 1 effort
20:08 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, 1 effort: 15
20:08 <Leviticus>: Which pool would that be?
20:08 <Skid_GMing>: Levi: you're hidden, for now.
20:08 <Skid_GMing>: Speed.
20:08 <Leviticus>: Alright, then I get the heck out of here while I can
20:08 <Leviticus>: Wait.
20:08 <Leviticus>: Olwen, you don't have the money, I do
20:08 <Olwen>: It doesn't matter who actually has it, it just matters who they get their hands on.
20:08 <Olwen>: Skid, how close are the nearest buildings in the town?
20:09 <Skid_GMing>: That's a few hundred feet through rough, downhill terrain.
20:10 <Olwen>: OK, I run for it.
20:11 <Skid_GMing>: Roll your run and stealth checks. Are you using improbable parkour?
20:11 <Olwen>: No, not for just plain ground.
20:11 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. It would be a couple assets in this terrain.
20:12 <Olwen>: How much more than just regular effort?
20:12 <Skid_GMing>: About the same, really.
20:12 <Olwen>: OK, regular effort costs less.
20:13 <Olwen>: !roll d20 run check, 2 effort
20:13 <Dicebot>: Olwen, run check, 2 effort: 2
20:13 <Gareth>: ...
20:13 <Gareth>: Did you taste the puffy bread on accident?
20:13 <Olwen>: AUGGHH.
20:13 <Olwen>: Why does the dicebot hate me?
20:14 <Skid_GMing>: Well, Olwen sprints off towards town, closely followed by about 15 screaming mercenaries.
20:14 Olwen sighs.
20:15 <Gareth>: Nothing I can do to help, so I continue to the door.
20:15 <Olwen>: See if you can find baker boy.
20:15 <Olwen>: I have some running to do.
20:15 Olwen glares at Dicebot
20:15 <Gareth>: I don't know if I know anything about him, but okay
20:16 <Gareth>: You were the one that talked to him. You probably told me where he is though
20:16 <Skid_GMing>: You at least know where the prisoners are.
20:16 <Leviticus>: Hmm
20:16 <Leviticus>: Skid, if I follow the mercs, will they think I'm with them?
20:16 <Skid_GMing>: That would be a deception check.
20:16 <Leviticus>: What level?
20:17 <Skid_GMing>: Fairly easy, given the darkness and the mob.
20:17 <Olwen>: I haven't talked to bakerboy yet anyway.
20:17 <Olwen>: I think.
20:18 <Gareth>: I thought you found him and told him you were from his mom? I could be entirely making that memory up though
20:19 <Gareth>: What's his name again by the way
20:19 <Skid_GMing>: I believe it was Benjamin.
20:19 <Gareth>: Okay
20:19 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
20:19 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 18
20:19 <Leviticus>: Alright, I guess I'm running along with the mob
20:20 <Skid_GMing>: You're right in the pack.
20:21 <Gareth>: I go inside and look for a small group of mercenaries (4 or so) that seem to be agitated, but not overly irate yet.
20:21 <Skid_GMing>: Okay... roll a perception check.
20:21 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained, effort
20:21 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained, effort: 3
20:22 <Skid_GMing>: The courtyard is in chaos. A couple of the tents are inexplicably on fire.
20:22 <Gareth>: Oh, inside the castle.
20:22 <Olwen>: See if you can get some extra cloaks to give the hostages to sneak them out.
20:22 <Skid_GMing>: Most of the crowd is gathered at the base of the tower, where a few are trying to scale the outside.
20:23 <Gareth>: I'm hoping to find a few people that haven't assimilated into the chaos just yet
20:23 <Skid_GMing>: There are a couple mercenaries standing back, as if waiting to make their move.
20:24 <Gareth>: I hurry up to them waving the handful of coins, a few dropping out for effect. "It's Boswick! He tried to raid the treasury! Find him!!"
20:24 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a deception check.
20:25 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort, trained persuasion
20:25 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort, trained persuasion: 11
20:25 <Gareth>: Without waiting for a response I toss the coins haphazardly toward them and continue past as if I'm going to search.
20:25 <Skid_GMing>: "That rat! I knew it!"
20:26 <Skid_GMing>: The two follow you... after pausing to collect the coins.
20:27 <Skid_GMing>: Inside the tavern level is a traffic jam on the stairs going up. Some mercenaries are trying to push their way up while other are trying to shove their way down.
20:27 <Gareth>: There's just one stairway?
20:28 <Skid_GMing>: You could also take the ones down to the kitchens and dungeon.
20:28 <Gareth>: Is there another door outside?
20:29 <Gareth>: Oh nevermind
20:29 <Skid_GMing>: There's the one out to the blacksmith's workshop.
20:29 <Gareth>: Oh okay that'll work
20:30 <Gareth>: "He can't get through here, make sure he's not hiding out back!" I motion emphatically in the general direction.
20:30 <Skid_GMing>: They run towards the blacksmith's shop.
20:32 <Gareth>: I make my way to the dungeon I guess
20:32 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you descend to the dungeon.
20:32 <Skid_GMing>: It's oddly quiet down here. The guards have abandoned their posts.
20:32 <Gareth>: I search for a key.
20:33 <Skid_GMing>: The guards took their keys with them, leaving the wooden doors unfortunately locked.
20:33 <Olwen>: Hmm. You should have learned how to lock-pick.
20:33 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen, what do you do as you enter the outskirts of town?
20:34 <Olwen>: Are there any tall buildings around?
20:35 <Skid_GMing>: There are the regular assortment of huts and a few two-story houses packed together.
20:36 <Olwen>: How close together are the two story buildings?
20:36 <Skid_GMing>: Close enough for a skilled person to jump between.
20:36 <Olwen>: Do I count as skilled?
20:37 <Skid_GMing>: Usually. Definitely if you use your abilities or grapple.
20:38 <Olwen>: Alright, I use Improbable Parkour to run up the side of one of the houses.
20:38 <Skid_GMing>: You zip up onto the thatched roof of a house/shop combo.
20:39 <Olwen>: How long does it last for?
20:40 <Olwen>: the parkour
20:40 <Skid_GMing>: For one move. Roll a run check if you want to see if that move is long enough to jump several houses.
20:40 <Olwen>: !roll d20
20:40 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 17
20:40 <Olwen>: :D
20:40 <Skid_GMing>: You chain jumps together and get about five houses away across the rooftops.
20:41 <Olwen>: Woohoo!
20:41 <Skid_GMing>: You feel like it wouldn't be hard to lose the crowd entirely.
20:41 <Olwen>: Where are the screaming mercenaries?
20:41 Leviticus screams
20:41 <Skid_GMing>: Leviticus, Olwen just shot up to the roof of a house and disappears. What do you do?
20:42 <Leviticus>: "She
20:42 <Leviticus>: "He's hiding in the house!" I scream
20:42 <Leviticus>: Clever gender swap
20:42 <Leviticus>: ;)
20:42 <Skid_GMing>: The mercenaries begin battering at the door of that first house.
20:43 <Skid_GMing>: Raising panicked yells from inside.
20:44 <Gareth>: Don't involve innocent townspeople
20:44 <Olwen>: Am I still on the same street as the mercenaries?
20:45 <Skid_GMing>: You've crossed some alleyways, but you're still along the same major street.
20:46 <Olwen>: I let myself down into an alleyway with my grapple.
20:46 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
20:47 <Olwen>: I circle around them and head back towards the castle.
20:47 <Skid_GMing>: Fair enough.
20:47 <Olwen>: Someone else can go for a while.
20:48 <Skid_GMing>: Levi, what are you going to do? And then I think we can wrap up for this session.
20:48 <Gareth>: Is there some kind of supply room somewhere?
20:48 <Skid_GMing>: There's the kitchen pantry down there, and all the kitchen cutlery.
20:49 <Gareth>: For getting some spare robes I meant. But yes also tools for the door
20:49 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a search check. (perception)
20:50 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained, effort
20:50 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained, effort: 6
20:50 <Skid_GMing>: You find some cook's aprons and a couple grey blankets.
20:51 <Gareth>: Good enough in the dark I guess
20:55 <Gareth>: Prison break next time
20:55 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, let's call that for tonight. The mercenaries are in chaos, and the heroes have escaped immediate detection. 2 XP each, and 1 to give away.
20:56 <Gareth>: Boss fight XP?
20:56 <Olwen>: Yay!
20:56 Olwen quit
20:57 <Gareth>: Or did we get that last time? I don't remember
20:57 <Gareth>: Thanks Skid, fun one :)
20:57 <Skid_GMing>: No special XP yet this mission.
20:58 <Skid_GMing>: It's waiting on a couple conditions.
20:58 <Leviticus>: Gareth, ideas on how to move the mercs away from the townies?
20:58 <Gareth>: Not now. You should have just not pointed them there
20:58 <Skid_GMing>: Lie to them again?
20:59 <Skid_GMing>: You have a stale flashbang lying around?
21:00 <Leviticus>: Ooooh, that's an idea

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:15 pm 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts: 1343
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 392.74
Bank: 0.00
Woody goes hunting down mercenaries in the darkest depths of the forest, triumphant despite an explosive ambush.

Woody earns 2 XP.


Top
  Offline Profile  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:13 am 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14178
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 641.50
Bank: 55,109.36
Mercenary Occupation, Session 7 of 8
Continued from Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Continued by Part 8
We need an assault force. Mercenaries have seized a mountain town and taken hostages. Route the mercenaries and retake the town.
Quote:
18:01 <bookworm>: Woody was here earlier.
18:01 <bookworm>: Hmm
18:02 <Skid>: Hmmmmm.
18:03 <bookworm>: We could start without him if needed, Olwen and I are doing our own thing from him right now
18:06 <Skid>: True.
18:07 Skid is now known as Skid_GMing
18:07 bookworm is now known as Gareth
18:07 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
18:07 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. Gareth is down the dungeon, Olwen is in the streets of the village.
18:07 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen, roll a perception check.
18:08 <Olwen>: !roll 20 specialized
18:08 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 20
18:08 <Olwen>: O.O
18:08 <Olwen>: I did that wrong
18:08 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
18:08 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 15
18:08 <Skid_GMing>: Heh.
18:09 <Olwen>: That's better.
18:09 <Olwen>: :P
18:10 <Skid_GMing>: Villagers are starting to poke their heads out of windows and dogs are barking because of the noise. You hear a bustle of heavy footsteps rushing up one of the side streets, headed towards the castle.
18:11 <Olwen>: I head towards the castle myself.
18:11 <Skid_GMing>: The front gate or one of the sides?
18:12 <Olwen>: Which side is nearest the place where we sleep?
18:13 <Skid_GMing>: The southern wall has the tents against it, which would be to your left.
18:13 <Olwen>: I go to that gate.
18:14 <Skid_GMing>: Which means you emerge from buildings about a hundred feet to the left of your reenforcements from the Ember Patrol.
18:15 <Olwen>: Oh.
18:15 <Olwen>: How fast can I get to them?
18:15 <Skid_GMing>: A few seconds.
18:16 <Olwen>: I head towards them.
18:17 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. You intercept the Embers. Their leader motions for them to halt as he recognizes you.
18:17 <Skid_GMing>: "What's the plan?"
18:18 <Gareth>: Had we signaled them yet?
18:19 <Skid_GMing>: You don't know that this is going on, basement boy. =p
18:19 <Gareth>: I know, I (bookworm) was just wondering because I don't remember doing it
18:19 <Olwen>: "The leaders of the mercenaries are dead, and the rest of them are somewhat disorganized. Right now Gareth is inside trying to free the hostages."
18:19 <Olwen>: "Leviticus is in the town, keeping some mercenaries off my trail."
18:20 <Skid_GMing>: "Charge the front gate then?"
18:20 <Skid_GMing>: "We didn't see a fire, but we heard explosions. Figured that was close enough."
18:21 <Olwen>: Skid, how many mercenaries are there?
18:22 <Skid_GMing>: There were 70 when you woke up this morning. At least 20 are down in the village, and the toughest two are dead.
18:22 <Skid_GMing>: And they're mercenaries who aren't getting paid anymore.
18:22 <Olwen>: And how many Embers?
18:22 <Skid_GMing>: 20, plus you three.
18:23 <Olwen>: "There's about 50 mercenaries in there, and they have one that can suppress magic."
18:24 <Skid_GMing>: "We ain't magicians, but that is a lot. Any other ways in?"
18:25 <Skid_GMing>: "Or shall we just take pot shots at the ones on the walls?"
18:26 <Olwen>: "There are side gates, and we can get a rope onto one of the ramparts, but I can't think of any other. Maybe we could lure some of them out and them fight them a little at a time."
18:27 <Skid_GMing>: "You know the situation better than any of us. Tell us what to do."
18:27 <Olwen>: Of course they would say that.
18:28 <Olwen>: Can't get any advice.
18:28 <Olwen>: Are the gates open, Skid?
18:28 <Skid_GMing>: The gates are open.
18:29 <Skid_GMing>: Nobody bothered to shut them after the posse left to chase you.
18:29 <Skid_GMing>: Roll an intellect-based tactics check.
18:30 <Olwen>: "How about I see if I can lure some of them out one gate, and then when their defenses are weakened you storm the castle through another. Once we have control of that we'll have the upper hand."
18:30 <Skid_GMing>: "Yes, ma'am."
18:30 <Olwen>: What gate can you get the closest to without being seen?
18:31 <Skid_GMing>: The front gate actually has a decent amount of shrubbery around it.
18:31 <Skid_GMing>: Within a hundred feet.
18:31 <Olwen>: "You get ready to storm the front gate. I'll go to another one and try to draw them out."
18:31 <Olwen>: How many gates are there?
18:32 <Skid_GMing>: There's just the one that goes to the outside.
18:33 <Olwen>: OK, I can do this.
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: Entrance, yard, then the tower on the far side.
18:34 <Olwen>: "I'll have to draw them out past you, so get in position."
18:34 <Skid_GMing>: The Embers melt away into the shrubbery.
18:34 <Olwen>: Alright, how straight of an aim do fireworks have?
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: You're trying to hit something with them?
18:35 <Olwen>: How far away can I be and reliably shoot it in through the gate?
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm.
18:36 <Skid_GMing>: Let's say a level 3 task at 100 feet away, another level for every additional 50 feet. Intellect based
18:37 <Olwen>: How high do I have to roll to pass level 3?
18:38 <Gareth>: 9
18:38 <Skid_GMing>: 9, if you don't have assets or effort.
18:39 <Olwen>: OK, are there any other people near the gate?
18:39 <Skid_GMing>: Not really, you hear shouting inside and a bit of smoke rolling over the walls.
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: And there are some heads above the castle walls.
18:40 <Olwen>: OK, I run towards the castle walls to about 90 feet away.
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: All right.
18:41 <Skid_GMing>: We'll let you finish this shot, then switch to Gareth
18:41 <Olwen>: OK, I fire the flare towards the castle gate.
18:41 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
18:42 <Olwen>: !roll d20 2 effort
18:42 <Dicebot>: Olwen, 2 effort: 12
18:42 <Olwen>: :D
18:43 <Gareth>: What's your intellect Olwen?
18:43 <Olwen>: My intellect pool is at 6.
18:43 <Olwen>: When it's full it's at 8
18:43 <Gareth>: After using 6 just now?
18:43 <Olwen>: No, that's wrong.
18:43 <Gareth>: Two effort is 6 isn't it?
18:43 <Olwen>: Oh, is it?
18:43 <Gareth>: I thought 3 each
18:43 <Olwen>: Then I'm at 2
18:43 <Olwen>: Whatever.
18:43 <Gareth>: K
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: The rocket shrieks through the gate, exploding in the courtyard with red spark sailings over the walls. People scream. One of the mercenaries falls off the wall.
18:44 <Olwen>: Anything else happen?
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check.
18:45 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
18:45 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 20
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: Well then.
18:45 <Olwen>: Did I do it wrong again?
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: It looks right.
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm. Make an intimidate check too.
18:46 <Olwen>: !roll d20
18:46 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 20
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
18:46 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 19
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
18:46 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 11
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
18:46 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 17
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
18:46 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 6
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: Dang it.
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
18:46 <Olwen>: Is it broken?
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: It is not.
18:46 <Olwen>: Because that's was weird.
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: You just rolled two consecutive crits.
18:47 <Olwen>: Is that bad?
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: Which means that you're instantly aware that the courtyard is in complete panic. Screams of "It's a trap!", "We're surrounded!", and "They've got wizards!" are clearly audible.
18:49 <Skid_GMing>: Several mercenaries leap over the outside walls, land with sickening thuds, and try to creep away into the darkness.
18:49 <Olwen>: I charge through the gate, yelling for the Embers to follow.
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, freeze frame there.
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth, you're down in the basement.
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: Also rewind a few minutes, so none of that has happened yet.
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: What are you working on?
18:51 <Gareth>: I found some 'disguises' of questionable merit and am now looking for something that would open the cell door.
18:51 <Skid_GMing>: right.
18:52 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm.
18:52 <Skid_GMing>: Well, it's fairly sturdy door, but you are a mage.
18:53 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check.
18:54 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained, effort
18:54 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained, effort: 19
18:55 <Skid_GMing>: The mercenaries upstairs are breaking into a loud fight over the remaining money.
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: The kitchen above the dungeon is home to some solid, ram-like furniture.
18:57 <Gareth>: I look through the kitchen area for a long thin skewer.
18:57 <Skid_GMing>: You find several pieces of wire.
18:57 <Skid_GMing>: And a kebab sticks.
18:58 <Gareth>: I take some of it, and some kind of makeshift battering ram, and return to the dungeon.
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: You punt an oaken-slab tableletop down the stairs.
19:00 <Gareth>: I check the door to see if it uses half pin barrel hinges.
19:01 <Skid_GMing>: The hinges aren't on this side.
19:01 <Gareth>: Darn
19:04 <Gareth>: Can you describe the door a bit more
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: It's a wooden door, windowless, with an iron handle and a hole for a key.
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: It's at the bottom of the stairs, with a small, six foot room before it, with space for the guards to stand.
19:06 <Gareth>: Oh it's wooden?
19:06 <Gareth>: Ok then
19:06 <Gareth>: Had I contacted the kid before?
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: I don't think you have.
19:08 <Gareth>: Uh what was his name again, again
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: Benjamin?
19:08 <Gareth>: I knock on the door. "Benjamin?"
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: You hear some scuffling, and then a distant "Yes?"
19:10 <Gareth>: "I'm here to get you out. Can you describe the inside? Quickly."
19:10 <Skid_GMing>: "Uh... it's two cells with a hallway between them, and bad food."
19:11 <Gareth>: "Are the walls wood?"
19:12 <Skid_GMing>: "It's rock and metal bars."
19:12 <Skid_GMing>: "It's a dungeon. All it's lacking is the mashy spike plates."
19:13 <Gareth>: "That's what I was hoping. Sit tight."
19:13 <Gareth>: I go back to the kitchen for a container of cooking oil.
19:14 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. You find a jug.
19:15 <Gareth>: I go back to the door and slosh some oil on it.
19:15 <Skid_GMing>: The door is sloshed.
19:16 <Gareth>: I pause, shrug, and try picking the lock before proceeding with the more complicated plan.
19:16 <Gareth>: Why not
19:16 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a lockpicking check?
19:16 <Gareth>: With the wire
19:16 <Skid_GMing>: How long do you want to spend lockpicking?
19:16 <Gareth>: Intellect?
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:18 <Gareth>: Like 40 seconds. If I don't get it I'm not going to.
19:18 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort
19:18 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort: 8
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: You can't seem to get it.
19:19 <Gareth>: "Worth a shot."
19:19 <Gareth>: I activate incendiary spark.
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:20 <Gareth>: I light the door.
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: The door starts to burn like a torch, filling the air with smoke.
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: After about half a minute it's getting too dense to breath.
19:23 <Gareth>: If it burns to a point of structural weakness I can notice let me know, otherwise I just let it all burn up.
19:23 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you're going to be taking some might damage unless you get out or deal with the smoke.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: But you're not going to be seeing much down there. It's a barely-vented fire in a small space.
19:25 <Gareth>: Oh.
19:25 <Gareth>: I force push the smoke up the stairs?
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: You can't really grab smoke to push it.
19:26 <Gareth>: It doesn't make a wind?
19:27 <Skid_GMing>: Not going to be terribly effective at getting airflow going in a spiral staircase, no.
19:28 <Gareth>: I shoulder the door.
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: You know, force push might be the right choice here.
19:29 <Gareth>: On the door?
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: You brought a ram.
19:30 <Gareth>: It doesn't matter, I killed all the prisoners. Even if I get in here, their cells are still locked. They'll choke and/or burn
19:30 <Gareth>: I thought this door went to the cell.
19:31 <Skid_GMing>: They just described what was on the other side to you.
19:32 <Gareth>: But I didn't know the door would smoulder forever, I thought it would burn away
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: Well, it's only been half a minute.
19:32 <Gareth>: I force push the makeshift ram at the door
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
19:33 <Gareth>: !roll d20
19:33 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 6
19:33 <Skid_GMing>: The door cracks.
19:34 <Gareth>: Open?
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: No, but you hear something structural give way.
19:35 <Gareth>: I ram it again
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: Roll.
19:35 <Gareth>: !roll d20
19:35 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 4
19:36 <Gareth>: Yeah
19:35 Woody joined #Gowers
19:36 <Woody>: Sorry guys
19:36 <Woody>: Crazy day of babysitting
19:36 Woody is now known as Leviticus
19:36 <Leviticus>: What'd I miss?
19:36 <Gareth>: Just in time to see the kid die!
19:36 <Leviticus>: Good 'ol pessimist Gareth
19:37 <Gareth>: Not this time. The prisoners are locked in a smoke filled room
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you ram the door a few more times and it collapses in flaming chunks. You hear cheering inside the dungeon as smoke rolls into it.
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen met up with the reenforcements and shot her firework into the courtyard. Rolled a critical intimidation on the attack. So most of the castle is panicked. And Gareth is freeing hostages.
19:38 <Leviticus>: Okay, what happened with my mob?
19:38 <Skid_GMing>: They're still beating on the house. Nothing has happened with you yet.
19:38 <Leviticus>: Hmm
19:38 <Leviticus>: They weren't distracted by the flare?
19:38 <Gareth>: I go in and quickly examine the cell doors.
19:38 <Gareth>: Are *these* half pin barrel hinges?
19:38 <Skid_GMing>: Yes. And they are on your side and not the prisoner's side.
19:39 <Gareth>: I put the table in the bars and do the PotC thing.
19:39 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, it takes you a couple minutes to jig the hinges. They fall away, realeasing the prisoners. Take 2 might damage from smoke inhalation, bypassing armor.
19:41 <Gareth>: Not smokeproof robes huh?
19:41 <Gareth>: :p
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: They don't have a vader mask, no. =p
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: "Is it safe to go up there?" The prisoners ask.
19:42 <Gareth>: "Not really, but it's now or never."
19:42 <Leviticus>: At the point when the flare goes off, I point and scream "They're attacking the castle! Run!"
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm. Roll a persuasion check.
19:43 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 1 effort
19:43 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, 1 effort: 7
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: Instead of obeying you, most of the mercenaries panic and scatter, fleeing through the village.
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: And yeah, at this moment, Gareth, you hear the explosion in the yard.
19:43 <Leviticus>: That was the point
19:44 <Leviticus>: I want a few to live to tell the tale
19:44 <Gareth>: I lead the prisoners to the kitchen.
19:44 <Gareth>: Closing the door to stop the smoke
19:44 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. You're clear of the smoke.
19:45 <Gareth>: I pass around the makeshift uniforms.
19:45 <Gareth>: "Follow me quickly, but not conspicuously."
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, let's jump back to Olwen for the courtyard stuff.
19:45 <Leviticus>: I head to the castle, then
19:45 <Leviticus>: I assume we've got some more mercs to kill?
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: You do.
19:46 <Skid_GMing>: In the distance you see mercenaries jumping off the castle walls and disappearing into the brush around the castle.
19:47 <Leviticus>: I chase one down
19:47 <Olwen>: Alright, what's happening for me?
19:47 <Skid_GMing>: You're charging in the castle gate.
19:48 <Olwen>: Are the Embers coming too?
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:48 <Olwen>: Good.
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: Inside mercenaries are scattered, a few hiding in the tents, some climbing the walls, about a dozen pushing their way into the tower.
19:49 <Olwen>: Are any of them showing resistance?
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: Most of them have weapons drawn.
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: But most are trying to get away.
19:51 <Olwen>: What are the Embers doing?
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: They're fanning out to take down the mercenaries.
19:52 <Olwen>: I stay by the gate to stop any from escaping there.
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. The Embers rush forward and descend on the group by the tower door.
19:53 <Olwen>: Are any coming this way?
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d6
19:53 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 2
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: Two are coming towards the gate, swords drawn.
19:54 <Olwen>: I point my bow at them.
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth, you hear fighting turn to panic upstairs. A mercenary rushes down into the kitchen "Grab the hostages! We need...!" His face turns grey as he sees you all in the open.
19:54 <Gareth>: "Already on it!"
19:55 <Gareth>: "Let's go!"
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: The mercenary doesn't wait for any reply, and disappears back up the stairs.
19:55 <Gareth>: I follow after him.
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen: They rush at you desperately.
19:56 <Skid_GMing>: Levi: You have absolutely no trouble grabbing the crippled mercenary.
19:56 <Olwen>: "Surrender while you can!"
19:56 <Olwen>: I shoot at the one closest to me.
19:56 <Skid_GMing>: Roll your attack.
19:56 <Leviticus>: I go to Olwen's aid
19:57 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
19:57 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 4
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: You just miss him, but he gets the idea. He goes for the wall stairs instead.
19:58 <Leviticus>: Gah, I have to go
19:58 <Leviticus>: I'll be back when I can
19:58 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:59 <Leviticus>: Feel free to autopilot me and my poodle
19:59 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:59 Leviticus quit
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen: You find yourself suddenly backed up by Levi's enornmous poodle. The remaining mercenary throws down his sword in surrender.
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth: He joins a throng of mercenaries intent on barricading themselves in the top of the tower.
20:00 <Gareth>: The exit is in the other direction?
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: It is.
20:01 <Skid_GMing>: There's a melee at the front door, a throng of about 20 mercenaries are trying to close the door on something outside.
20:02 <Skid_GMing>: But the side doors are clear.
20:03 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen: The Embers are fighting at the front door of the tower, which is now half-closed.
20:03 <Olwen>: I run to join them.
20:04 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
20:04 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 7
20:04 <Skid_GMing>: They're in a roughly balanced fight with mercenaries trying to barricade the tower's front door.
20:05 <Skid_GMing>: What do?
20:05 <Gareth>: I point the prisoners out the side door. "Wait for me outside."
20:05 <Olwen>: I join the fighting, trying to pick off mercenaries with my bow.
20:06 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen: roll an attack.
20:06 <Olwen>: !roll d20
20:06 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 13
20:06 <Skid_GMing>: You pick off a couple of the mercenaries.
20:06 <Gareth>: I take a few steps toward the crowd at the other door and push at them.
20:06 <Gareth>: Oh!
20:06 <Gareth>: No I don't
20:06 <Gareth>: I hit one in the middle with chain lightning!
20:07 <Skid_GMing>: Roll it.
20:07 <Skid_GMing>: The prisoners run to the blacksmith's workshop.
20:08 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized
20:08 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized: 4
20:09 <Skid_GMing>: What's the description on the spell again?
20:09 <Gareth>: Jumps to another target with one level less accuracy
20:10 <Gareth>: So second would be a 7 if that hits anyone
20:10 <Skid_GMing>: Right. You zap one mercenary.
20:10 <Gareth>: Meh
20:10 <Skid_GMing>: The mercenaries realize they're being attacked from behind. Roll an intimidation check.
20:11 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort, trained persuasion if applicable
20:11 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort, trained persuasion if applicable: 10
20:12 <Skid_GMing>: The mob breaks, half start shouting "Surrender!" and throw down their arms. Ten of them rush towards you, attempting to break you or break past you.
20:12 <Gareth>: I put up a wall in front of me.
20:13 <Skid_GMing>: And they run around and past. A couple bounce off it.
20:14 <Gareth>: I spin to put my back to it.
20:14 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
20:14 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 13
20:14 <Skid_GMing>: The fight is just mop-up at this point. The Embers take 13 prisoners.
20:15 <Skid_GMing>: At this point, there doesn't seem to be anyone in the castle who hasn't fled, surrendered, been cut down, or barricaded themselves in the tower.
20:15 <Skid_GMing>: Upper floors of the tower.
20:16 <Gareth>: What kind of barricade?
20:16 <Skid_GMing>: Well, there's the closed door on your side, which you know can be barred.
20:17 <Gareth>: I set it on fire :p
20:18 <Skid_GMing>: The barrier starts to disintegrate, to reveal a pile of furniture behind it.
20:19 <Skid_GMing>: "Hey, they're going down the back wall!" One of the Embers shouts.
20:21 <Gareth>: I ask around if they have the magic muffler contained yet.
20:21 <Skid_GMing>: She's nowhere to be found. You can't feel her presence anymore.
20:22 <Gareth>: I go see what he was shouting about.
20:23 <Skid_GMing>: You see a rope dangling down the back side of the tower with the treed mercenaries sliding down it into the gloom.
20:25 <Skid_GMing>: The castle is yours.
20:25 <Gareth>: Huzzah
20:25 <Gareth>: I want to take down the Scythian flag.
20:25 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you tear it down.
20:26 Olwen quit
20:26 <Skid_GMing>: Well, that was quite the victory.
20:27 <Gareth>: Indeed
20:27 <Skid_GMing>: Looting and plot stuff next session?
20:28 <Gareth>: I look for Cyrus' swords
20:29 <Skid_GMing>: You find them next to his body on the stairs. Oddly, someone stole his boots.
20:29 <Gareth>: Heh, mercenaries
20:30 Tikvah joined #Gowers
20:30 <Tikvah>: Sorry, the power went out.
20:30 <Gareth>: We won
20:30 <Tikvah>: Good.
20:31 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth tore down the flag. We'll do looting and plot stuff next time when Woody can be here.
20:31 <Gareth>: Nothing else happened after you went out.
20:31 <Tikvah>: OK
20:31 <Tikvah>: Are we done?
20:31 <Skid_GMing>: We're done.
20:31 <Skid_GMing>: 2 XP to each of you, and 1 to give away.
20:32 <Gareth>: And 1 for Woody?
20:33 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
20:35 <Skid_GMing>: Let's see, there's the paychest you guys hid, Cyrus's swords, the stuff in Pete's room, and maybe a little something from the villagers.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:39 am 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts: 1343
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 392.74
Bank: 0.00
Tikvah ventures into a desolate swamp and retrieves intel from the mythic Mage Hunter after a brief negotiation conducted with missiles.

She earns 3 XP for her efforts.


Top
  Offline Profile  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:27 am 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14178
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 641.50
Bank: 55,109.36
Mercenary Occupation, Session 8 of 8
Continued from Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7
We need an assault force. Mercenaries have seized a mountain town and taken hostages. Route the mercenaries and retake the town.
Quote:
18:19 <bookworm>: Is this a reasonable facsimile of the flag? http://theshadowpaws.weebly.com/RPG_Scythianflag.html Or is it a one handed scythe?
18:20 <Skid>: Sure, it's reasonably similar.
18:20 <bookworm>: Cool. And the patches? I assumed they had the same design. http://theshadowpaws.weebly.com/RPG_Scythianpatch.html
18:20 <Skid>: Yes.
18:20 bookworm is now known as Gareth
18:20 Woody is now known as Leviticus
18:20 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
18:20 Skid is now known as Skid_GMing
18:23 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, when you left off, most of the mercenaries were fled from the castle or dead. The Embers managed to take a few prisoners. All that's left is picking over the remains.
18:23 <Leviticus>: LOOT
18:26 <Gareth>: As the mercenaries that surrendered are rounded up, I suddenly realize something.
18:26 <Gareth>: "Are we taking them back to Ursa?" I ask the lead Ember of our group. "We need to question them about their next job."
18:26 <Gareth>: To Olwen and Levi: "Remember what Cyrus said? 'Have a desert fortress to take out. Getting paid by the Emperor himself.' ...What if they were coming for us? Dawn Fortress."
18:27 <Olwen>: "That could be. Seems like they might have mentioned it though."
18:27 <Olwen>: "But I wouldn't put it past them."
18:27 <Skid_GMing>: You have time to interrogate the prisoners, if you want.
18:27 <Skid_GMing>: You also have time to search the rooms of the commanders.
18:27 <Gareth>: "If that was the target, I think they'd keep it quiet until they hit. That would be major."
18:28 <Gareth>: "Especially if the Emperor is behind it."
18:29 <Gareth>: "That would explain the cold shoulder Ursa described."
18:29 <Olwen>: "True."
18:29 <Gareth>: I look for whatsisname among the captives.
18:30 <Skid_GMing>: You have 13 whatsisnames to choose from.
18:30 <Gareth>: You know, that bully guy
18:30 <Olwen>: Ah, him.
18:30 <Skid_GMing>: Ah. Hmm.
18:31 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
18:31 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 2
18:31 <Gareth>: Olwen told me his name last time but I forgot
18:31 <Skid_GMing>: He was killed in the assault.
18:31 <Gareth>: Okay
18:32 <Olwen>: What about Dave?
18:32 <Gareth>: Well if the prisoners are secure we start searching the castle.
18:32 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. You find Cyrus dead on the stairs, his swords beside him. His shoes are notably missing.
18:33 <Leviticus>: I take the swords
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: Twin Pirate Blades (7 damage, heavy, medium when dual-wielded) These exotic curved greatswords are meant to be wielded as a pair, where they benefit from a strange and deadly synergy.
18:33 <Gareth>: I wonder if I know why someone would want the shoes.
18:33 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized magic knowledge
18:33 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized magic knowledge: 1
18:33 <Gareth>: Nope
18:33 <Gareth>: Must have just had cold feet.
18:33 <Olwen>: Probably have information in them.
18:34 <Gareth>: I was trying to imagine if they could have been enchanted or anything like that. It's probably something more practical, yes.
18:34 <Skid_GMing>: The hooded woman's room has been stripped, and all her gear was taken when she fled.
18:34 <Leviticus>: These are my new mainstay, methinks
18:35 <Gareth>: Can you dual wield?
18:35 <Leviticus>: If not, I have enough XP to buy it
18:35 <Gareth>: Yes
18:36 <Olwen>: What about Pete's room?
18:36 <Skid_GMing>: Cyrus's room is in complete shambles, but you retrieve the chest. It contains 15 royals, a large mirror, body lotions, and a small sheaf of documents unter the mattress.
18:36 <Skid_GMing>: Erm, that was a malformed list.
18:36 <Skid_GMing>: The chest contains the royals. The room has the other items.
18:36 <Leviticus>: ROYALS
18:37 Leviticus did well to hide it
18:37 <Gareth>: That was the one we left I think
18:37 <Gareth>: The one on the shadowpath would be right where your dog left it
18:38 <Gareth>: Or no?
18:38 <Skid_GMing>: No, that's the one you hid. The one you left has been completely looted.
18:38 <Gareth>: I thought so, but you said it was in the room
18:38 <Leviticus>: See, told you we needed to hide one
18:39 <Gareth>: Are they fancy imported lotions?
18:39 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm. What knowledge check would you roll on that?
18:39 <Gareth>: Remembrance of Cyrus' ego
18:40 <Gareth>: I assume he'd want to use the best
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: Alchemy? Maybe first aid?
18:40 <Gareth>: I don't have any so it's all the same
18:40 <Gareth>: Either of you have something that would apply?
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: Levi, roll a wilderness survival check.
18:41 <Leviticus>: Well, my wilderness survival might
18:41 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
18:41 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 17
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: It's gritbark oil, which imparts a temporary hardness to skin, adding 1 armor to the user for 6 hours. There is enough there for four doses.
18:42 <Gareth>: I bag them.
18:42 <Gareth>: And check the papers
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: You find a letter, and some accounting sheets.
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: Commander Cyrus, You have been hired to take part in an assault on the treacherous Dawn Fortress. You are to take, dead or alive, the conspirator Ursa and his compatriots in the Ember Patrol. All stand accused of High Treason, conspiracy against the throne, and the creation of weapons of assassination. This shipment includes payment for yourself and the 80 men you are expected to supply. When the operation is complete, the most worthy commanders shall be ascended to the immortals as permanent guardians of the realm. Do not fail.
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: [The message ends with the Imperial seal]
18:43 <Gareth>: Ha!
18:43 <Olwen>: ..yikes.
18:43 <Olwen>: I think Ursa needs to see this.
18:46 <Leviticus>: I suppose that means there's now a price on our heads
18:46 <Olwen>: 0.o
18:46 <Olwen>: Like that's new.
18:46 <Gareth>: ;)
18:46 <Olwen>: :P
18:47 <Gareth>: Pete's room?
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: Pete's room has been stripped of most valuables. You find several fist-sized shards of crystal emitting a magical signature, a letter matching Cyrus's, and a curved wooden staff tipped with a sphere of iron that floats a couple inches from the floor.
18:48 <Olwen>: Gareth, you want that?
18:49 <Leviticus>: I say we take everything, and decide what we want to keep and sell later
18:49 <Gareth>: The staff floats or the sphere floats on the staff?
18:49 <Skid_GMing>: The stone end of the staff levitates from the floor.
18:49 <Gareth>: Uh, yeah I do! \:D/
18:49 <Gareth>: That's awesome
18:49 <Gareth>: Even if it doesn't do anything else
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: Force Focus Staff (4 damage, medium, 1 asset to Force spells) This twisted staff has an iron sphere on the top that provides a boost to all force-based spells cast by the wielder.
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: Aberration Shard (Summons level 6 Outsider, Grenade) One can barely see anything in the cloudy depths of the crystal, but get the impression of hundreds of whirling, insubstantial blades trying to escape.
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: Oh. Three of those shards.
18:50 <Gareth>: Levi's right we'll go through everything later
18:51 <Leviticus>: But I'm definitely having these swords
18:51 <Gareth>: I guess that's alright
18:51 <Gareth>: :p
18:51 <Leviticus>: I'll be speaking to you about dual-weilding later, Skid
18:52 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
18:52 <Leviticus>: Hey, no one else can use 'em
18:52 <Leviticus>: And having seen them in action, they're pretty epic
18:52 <Gareth>: I can use a sword
18:52 <Gareth>: I just don't
18:53 <Leviticus>: Well, yeah, but not as well as I can
18:53 <Leviticus>: I've kinda maxed on swordfighting capabilities
18:53 <Olwen>: I don't think anyone is fighting you for them.
18:53 <Gareth>: Right, of course it's not as effective as zapping
18:54 <Leviticus>: We'll figure out who gets what as soon as we've gotten everything
18:56 <Gareth>: Are the freed prisoners still outside or did they go home?
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. Below you hear villagers entering the castle, reuniting with the hostages and picking through the equipment taken from the lesser mercenaries camp.
18:57 <Gareth>: I put the puffy bread in a sack.
18:57 <Skid_GMing>: Heh.
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: Olwen: Rose eventually finds you, her son Benjamin at her side.
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: "Thank you so much for saving him." She says. "I'm so glad the Embers came."
19:01 <Skid_GMing>: "I have something for you, I hope it serves as some repayment."
19:01 <Olwen>: "Oh, it wasn't me that did the saving when it came down to it. Gareth our mage is responsible."
19:01 <Gareth>: Responsible is a good word for it yeah...
19:02 <Skid_GMing>: "You'll have to find a way to split it, I suppose."
19:03 <Gareth>: I'm outside patting down the prisoners.
19:03 <Olwen>: "Well, thank you very much, but it was in the line of duty."
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: She offers you a light blackwood bow.
19:05 <Olwen>: "Wow. Where did you get this?"
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: "It was my Father's. I tried to get Benjamin started on it, but he's taken up the sword instead."
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: "It's not a killer, but it'll bring down any bird you think is moving too sprightly."
19:07 <Olwen>: "Well thank you. I will make good use of it, seeing as our mage probably couldn't even hold it straight."
19:07 <Leviticus>: OOC: Buuuuurn
19:07 <Olwen>: No offense, Gareth.
19:07 <Gareth>: Just because I'm not proficient with a bow wouldn't make me entirely incompetent with one, geeze
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: Tackle Bow (3 damage, light, 50 ft range, slows enemies) Every arrow fired from this blackwood bow is weighted down by an adhesive gel that encumbers the target, reducing their ability to dodge and move by one level. Requires an action and a free hand to remove the slime.
19:08 <Olwen>: Nice.
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: "Benjamin says he heard some things while working for the mercenaries."
19:10 <Olwen>: "Anything you can tell us would be most helpful."
19:11 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth: The prisoners have been thoroughly disarmed. Most of the Ember Patrol members are sporting newer swords than you remember them having.
19:11 <Gareth>: I was checking for the raided coins ;)
19:12 <Skid_GMing>: Well, they might have had some of it, but you didn't get to them first. =p
19:12 <Gareth>: Fair enough
19:13 <Skid_GMing>: Benjamin steps forward. "This is only one of three armies. Cyrus was supposed to meet the other two in the desert."
19:13 <Gareth>: Snap
19:14 <Leviticus>: Uh-oh
19:15 <Olwen>: "Oh, dear. Our commander will need to hear this."
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: "What's happening? Why isn't the Emperor using the army?"
19:17 <Gareth>: Doesn't want it traced to him
19:18 <Gareth>: I would say if I was there
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: "Well, thanks for saving our town."
19:23 <Olwen>: "Of course. Thank you for your assistance."
19:23 <Olwen>: I go to find Gareth.
19:23 <Gareth>: I'm rummaging through the shed now.
19:23 <Gareth>: :p
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: Shed?
19:24 <Gareth>: Tool shed?
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: Oh, the blacksmith's workshop?
19:24 <Gareth>: Oh yeah that's what it was
19:25 <Skid_GMing>: You find weapons and armour in various states of disrepair, and a pile of Sythian mercenary uniforms.
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: ...which boils down to assorted armor bits with a flag painted on them.
19:26 <Leviticus>: Plan
19:26 <Leviticus>: We dress our Ember men up as the Sythian army
19:26 <Leviticus>: And infiltrate the other two armies
19:26 <Olwen>: But what about Cyrus and Pete?
19:27 <Leviticus>: Any face changing magic about?
19:27 <Skid_GMing>: The Ember Patrol has a specialist in it...
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: Actually, two specialists.
19:29 <Leviticus>: Non-permanent =P
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: Well, there's Ajax.
19:30 <Olwen>: Ooh.
19:30 <Olwen>: Haven't seen him on a mission since we were rookies.
19:30 <Skid_GMing>: Anyone want to take disguise skill when they spend their XP?
19:31 <Olwen>: Does it have a magical signature?
19:31 <Skid_GMing>: Not conventional disguises.
19:32 <Olwen>: I could do it then.
19:32 <Olwen>: I have a bunch of XP to use.
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: And it would let you make knowledge checks to see what you would need to gather to make a really good one.
19:32 <Olwen>: But we would still need Ajax to have both Pete and Cyrus
19:36 <Leviticus>: And we still have puffy bread
19:36 <Olwen>: O_O
19:37 <Olwen>: Did we warn the Embers not to eat the bread in the kitchen?
19:37 <Leviticus>: Gareth bagged it
19:37 <Gareth>: It was in my room
19:37 <Olwen>: Phew.
19:38 <Gareth>: Is there anything else we need to see to here?
19:39 <Leviticus>: So, should we send a messenger to Ursa?
19:39 <Leviticus>: Asking for instructions?
19:39 <Leviticus>: Or just head into it?
19:39 <Gareth>: Aren't we going back?
19:39 <Olwen>: We might not have time.
19:39 <Leviticus>: I suppose we do have a couple days
19:39 <Leviticus>: They weren't marching until the end of the week
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: Not much else to see here.
19:40 <Olwen>: If we can make it back in time, then we should go back.
19:40 <Olwen>: Hopefully pick up Ajax too.
19:41 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, this is a good week for side missions, if you want to spend a day recapturing some extra mercenaries.
19:41 <Skid_GMing>: There's a bit of intel and some loot out there.
19:42 <Gareth>: Yeah we'll split up and track some down on the way back.
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. I'm assuming you don't want to be matched up against the mage hunter?
19:46 <Gareth>: Probably not, but how would I know who I was pursuing

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:19 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
User avatar
The man that stops the monsters

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Posts: 5103
Age: 101

Cash: 2,131.08
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
An excerpt from the journal of Leviticus Rutter:
(Egg Extraction, Session 6)
We continued up the tower for the prescribed "talk" with our adversary. He introduced himself as Marl. We found him to be non-violent, but rather greedy. He wished to know our motives in searching Rindtis, which we naturally concealed. We did, however, threaten to report us to his employers. Luckily, his greed proved to be a useful tool in ensuring his silence. Gareth traded him the silver crossbow we had found in exchange for secrecy, as well as some intel on some of the Cult members.
Having thus ensured that our mission would remain unknown to the Dragon Cult, we arranged to be "chased" from the tower by Marl's rather gigantic beast of a dog. It was only later that I realized how incredibly useful his help would have been in developing my own animal handling skills. I hope to encounter him again for this reason.
We returned to Dawn Fortress to a warm welcome and turned over the Dragon Egg to the Archivist. And thus, another mission ends. But bad news awaited us upon our return. Apparently the group we had chosen to ignore in favor of the dragon egg, the Sythians, had overtaken a small mountain town...

_________________
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:24 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14178
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 641.50
Bank: 55,109.36
Side Mission, Gareth: Fugitive Pursuit Part 1
Concurrent with Part 2 and Part 3
Takes place directly after the Mercenary Occupation mission
Quote:
17:18 Ezra joined #Gowers
18:04 bookworm joined #Gowers
18:05 bookworm is now known as Gareth
18:05 <Gareth>: Who is this?
18:05 <Gareth>: I thought he died
18:05 <Ezra>: xD
18:05 <Ezra>: I am imortal
18:06 <Gareth>: Or was reassigned anyway
18:06 <Skid>: Heh.
18:07 <Skid>: That's actually not a bad question. You here to play tonight?
18:07 <Gareth>: I don't see how if we're picking up on the journey back
18:08 <Skid>: Yeah.
18:08 <Gareth>: He wasn't on the infiltration team
18:08 <Skid>: He was supposed to be on the backup team, but that didn't happen.
18:10 <Gareth>: The reinforcements? That could work
18:10 <Ezra>: Yes, but I wont really know where to start
18:11 <Skid>: You're also kinda under-levelled. How about after Gareth's mission here we talk about getting your stats up to everyone else's level?
18:13 <Ezra>: Okay?
18:13 <Ezra>: I'm along for the ride still...
18:13 <Skid>: Hmm. I was planning to send Gareth with a couple random squad members for this though. So you'd fit in.
18:13 <Ezra>: I am just showing up xD Doesn't mean I have to know what I am doing.
18:13 Skid is now known as Skid_GMing
18:14 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. The heroes just finished knocking over a mercenary stronghold. They're now spreading out to capture some of the mercs that fled into the woods.
18:14 <Gareth>: I want to put some kind of strap on the force staff so I can sling it over my shoulder. So it's accessible when wanted but I don't have to have it constantly in hand.
18:14 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. I'll allow that.
18:15 <Skid_GMing>: Gareth, you and a couple squad members have followed a band of mercenaries into the deep forests. Trees a hundred feet tall and covered in moss surround you.
18:17 <Skid_GMing>: By the tracks, you're up against about five mercenaries. You hear muted speaking and the clank of armor ahead as night begins to fall.
18:17 <Skid_GMing>: What do?
18:19 <Gareth>: I signal the group to hold and try to get a look ahead.
18:20 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, roll a stealth check and a perception check.
18:22 <Gareth>: !roll d20
18:22 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 15
18:22 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained, effort
18:22 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained, effort: 4
18:24 <Skid_GMing>: You sneak up through the brush, getting close enough to see that the mercenaries are fiddling with some kind of rope mechanism. One of them suddenly zips up into the forest canopy above, and a counterweight thuds to the earth beside them.
18:24 <Gareth>: Ah
18:26 <Gareth>: Good to know, I would not have anticipated them being thoughtful enough in fleeing to set traps.
18:28 <Gareth>: Can I see exactly how they're activated?
18:28 <Skid_GMing>: The counterweight rises again.
18:29 <Skid_GMing>: After a few moments, a loop of rope descends again. The second mercenary grabs the rope, steps into it, and also ascends.
18:30 <Gareth>: Ooooh
18:30 <Gareth>: Not a trap, a hiding place
18:30 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm. Roll a mechanical knowledge check?
18:30 <Ezra>: [im dying btw, if i leave ill try to get it to work on my iPhone and hurry back]
18:30 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
18:31 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort
18:31 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort: 3
18:32 <Skid_GMing>: You can't figure out how the mechanism works with most of it concealed by the branches above.
18:33 <Gareth>: That's okay, if it's not a trap I don't need to know
18:33 <Gareth>: I was going to try springing it on them
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: The third mercenary prepares to ascend.
18:34 <Gareth>: Am I hidden?
18:34 <Skid_GMing>: You're still hidden.
18:34 Ezra quit
18:34 <Gareth>: How many are left down?
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: Three of five.
18:35 <Gareth>: How far away?
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: 50 feet.
18:38 <Gareth>: Can I go back to the group and come back before they're all up?
18:38 <Skid_GMing>: And now two left, as the third disappears into the branches above.
18:38 <Skid_GMing>: You'll have to roll a stealth check to see if you can do it without detection.
18:40 <Skid_GMing>: But yes.
18:41 <Gareth>: Can I tell what they're doing once up there? Just camping immediately or is there some kind of structure they traverse
18:41 <Skid_GMing>: You can't see what's up there from here.
18:42 <Gareth>: *shrug* I push one.
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: One of the mercenaries?
18:42 <Gareth>: Oh no I don't. Not in range
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah.
18:43 <Gareth>: I wait for another to go up.
18:44 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, the fourth one ascends.
18:44 <Gareth>: I zap at the last one. And call to the group "They're up here! Come on!"
18:44 <Skid_GMing>: Roll your attack.
18:44 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized
18:44 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized: 10
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: Definitely a hit against the unaware merc. He squaks and whirls around to find his attacker.
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: You hear brush breaking down as your allies close in.
18:46 <Gareth>: "Stand down! We dont need to fight!"
18:46 <Gareth>: Uh, I direct at that guy, not mine
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: Roll... diplomacy.
18:47 <Gareth>: "We have you outnumbered."
18:47 <Gareth>: That's better
18:47 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort, trained persuasion
18:47 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort, trained persuasion: 18
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: He throws up his hands and drops his sword. "Okay, okay. You got me."
18:48 <Gareth>: "Good. We just need to ask some questions. Stand against a tree."
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: He complies.
18:48 <Gareth>: "What's up there?"
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: "What's going on down there!?" Someone shouts from above.
18:49 <Skid_GMing>: "Oh, thundersnakes, they're here! They got Geralt!"
18:50 <Skid_GMing>: "It's just our house." Geralt says. "What do you want?"
18:50 <Gareth>: Eh why not, I call up to the rest "If you come down peacefully we don't have to make a scene here."
18:50 <Gareth>: "We may not even have to take you in, we just need some questions answered."
18:51 <Skid_GMing>: Ooh, roll diplomacy again.
18:51 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort, trained persuasion
18:51 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort, trained persuasion: 19
18:52 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check too.
18:52 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained, effort
18:52 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained, effort: 6
18:53 <Skid_GMing>: You hear whispering above, growing to a shout of "You coward!"
18:55 <Gareth>: Unsure who it's directed at, I motion for Geralt to come toward me.
18:55 <Skid_GMing>: Then splintering brush as one of the mercenaries crashes through the branches, falling.
18:55 <Gareth>: O.o
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: You've got one turn to react before he hits the ground.
18:57 <Gareth>: How high was the drop?
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: Well, it's a solid 15 feet from the lowest branches to the ground.
18:58 <Gareth>: And he's falling, not jumping?
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: He's upside down.
18:59 <Gareth>: I put a force wall under him at about a 45 degree angle sloping to the ground.
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, he deflects from the fall, hitting the ground with a sickening thud.
19:00 <Gareth>: Has Geralt come over?
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:01 <Gareth>: Do we have manacles or something?
19:01 <Skid_GMing>: You've got a large supply of rope.
19:02 <Gareth>: I tie his hands, in front. "Just a precaution until we sort things out here."
19:03 <Skid_GMing>: "Okay, okay."
19:03 <Gareth>: And put my hand on his shoulder to have him crouch.
19:03 <Skid_GMing>: He complies.
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: "We're not surrendering to any flowerly little mage!" The voices overhead shout.
19:04 <Gareth>: "That's your choice."
19:04 <Gareth>: Is the faller dead?
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: No, but he's in bad shape.
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: At least a couple broken bones.
19:05 <Gareth>: "Is that rope the only way up?"
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: "Unless you like climbing trees."
19:07 <Gareth>: "Good."
19:07 <Gareth>: "What kinds of weapons?"
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: "They've got bows and swords. And... I dunno."
19:08 <Gareth>: "Not so good."
19:08 <Gareth>: Do we have bows?
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: And despite what Olwen says about your archery ability even you can see that the canopy is a poor place for anyone to be shooting.
19:10 <Gareth>: I have them ready and watch the branches, and approach to examine the contraption.
19:13 <Skid_GMing>: It's fairly simple. A series of pulleys allows you to easily lift the counterwight, then release it and let the weight pull you into the treetops.
19:13 <Gareth>: Can I see the entrance now?
19:14 <Skid_GMing>: You see a square hole about 40 feet up, boxed in by wooden planks.
19:16 <Gareth>: There are three up there?
19:16 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:16 <Gareth>: Mmm
19:17 <Gareth>: "Why don't you come down and fight if that's what you want."
19:17 <Skid_GMing>: "We're not stupid."
19:18 <Gareth>: "Just cowards?"
19:20 <bookworm>: Taunting/inciting ^
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: "Keeping a tactical spot ain't cowardice. Surrendering when you have the upper hand is just sneeviling."
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: "Why don't you take your fancy magic and get going before we send our fancy magic down to mess you up?"
19:21 <Gareth>: Read person
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: Roll for it.
19:21 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort
19:21 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort: 5
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: He seems genuinely confident enough.
19:22 <Gareth>: I go back to Geralt. "What's he mean?"
19:23 <Skid_GMing>: He looks around shiftilty. "He has some sort of crystal. Says it's magic."
19:24 <Gareth>: How much are smoke bombs?
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: Small change at this point. 15 nobles, I think?
19:24 <Gareth>: Good then I don't have to hang on to this one.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: Oh, 10 nobles.
19:24 <Gareth>: Even better
19:25 <Gareth>: "Let's go take some prisoners boys."
19:25 <Gareth>: Back to the rope
19:25 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:25 <Gareth>: How many are with me?
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: Two.
19:26 <Gareth>: "You go up first, I'll smoke them up as you get to the top then follow, you come last."
19:27 <Gareth>: Wait
19:27 <Gareth>: Can I get the bomb in there from here?
19:27 <Gareth>: Probably too high
19:27 <Skid_GMing>: Concieveably, yes.
19:28 <Gareth>: Eh, I'll go first
19:28 <Gareth>: I cast armor at level 2.
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:28 <Gareth>: And start ascending
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: A face appears at the hatch and fires an arrow down at you.
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a dodge.
19:30 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized
19:30 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized: 12
19:31 <Skid_GMing>: The arrow whistles past your shoulder.
19:31 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a climb check for ascension progress.
19:32 <Gareth>: !roll d20
19:32 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 20
19:33 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you zip up there real quick. You're only 10 feet from the hatch before the mercenary at the top switches to desperately sawing at the rope.
19:34 <Gareth>: I push at him.
19:34 <Skid_GMing>: Roll the attack.
19:35 <Gareth>: !roll d20 with staff
19:35 <Dicebot>: Gareth, with staff: 4
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: Well, crud.
19:36 <Gareth>: For me or you?
19:36 <Skid_GMing>: For you.
19:37 <Gareth>: Just making sure I'm not messing up your plan ;)
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: He resists the attack, finishing sawing through the rope. You go into freefall.
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: Roll an acropbatics check to grab something.
19:37 <Gareth>: !roll d20 effort
19:37 <Dicebot>: Gareth, effort: 5
19:38 <Gareth>: Well that's a waste of my tiny speed pool
19:38 <Gareth>: I need to get more points in there
19:39 <Skid_GMing>: Okay you fall, descending to about 10 feet off the ground. Your turn.
19:39 Gareth quit
19:40 Gareth joined #Gowers
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: You fall towards the ground. How do you react?
19:41 <Gareth>: I don't really have a reaction for this situation, I guess I put out a wall on instinct.
19:42 <Gareth>: Though that will probably make the impact worse
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: Your speed carries you through the wall as it breaks your fall. Roll another acrobatics check.
19:46 <Gareth>: Aha unless I go through it
19:46 <Gareth>: !roll d20
19:46 <Dicebot>: Gareth: 20
19:46 <Gareth>: Nat 20 going up, nat 20 coming down
19:46 <Gareth>: But net 0 progress :P
19:46 <Skid_GMing>: You land on your feet with no damage whatsoever. The falling rope coils on the force wall above you.
19:47 <Gareth>: "Why would they strand themselves?.."
19:48 <Gareth>: "So be it."
19:48 <Gareth>: I look for something that can be set on fire.
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: "You asked for it."
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: A fist-sized crystal falls from the hatch, sparkling in the air. You sense a faint magical aura.
19:49 <Gareth>: I push at it
19:49 <Skid_GMing>: Roll.
19:49 <Gareth>: Oh boy
19:50 <Gareth>: !roll d20 with staff
19:50 <Dicebot>: Gareth, with staff: 9
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: Hmmmmmmmmmm.
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: Hmmmmmmmm.
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: Hmmmm.
19:50 <Gareth>: Lol
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: The crystal shatters against the underside of the platform. An explosion of blades whirls out, forming a small cloud that sticks to the treehouse's surface and then slithers inside.
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: You hear screaming.
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: Then silence.
19:52 <Gareth>: O.O
19:52 <Skid_GMing>: The magical aura fades.
19:52 <Gareth>: Do I have any idea what the heck that was?
19:52 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a magical knowledge check.
19:53 <Gareth>: !roll d20 specialized, effort
19:53 <Dicebot>: Gareth, specialized, effort: 1
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: It was a passing gremlin.
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: But as a player, you can probably put it together.
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: Check the loot list from the last mission.
19:54 <Gareth>: "Well... I guess that's that."
19:54 <Gareth>: "How do we go up now?"
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: Your fellow Embers look at you blankly. "Why would we want to?"
19:56 <Gareth>: "To make sure they're dead?"
19:57 <Gareth>: "I don't check off objectives by assumptions."
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: "Those screams seemed plenty genuine to me."
19:58 <Gareth>: "Then to loot the place!"
19:58 <Gareth>: :p
19:58 <Gareth>: "They might have intel."
19:58 <Skid_GMing>: "Sigh. I'll climb up and throw down a rope."
19:58 <Gareth>: Heh
19:59 <Skid_GMing>: The Ember works his way up the trunk and over and throws down a rope.
19:59 <Skid_GMing>: "Eugh. I don't think I want to touch anything up here. Have at your looting."
20:00 <Gareth>: Heh yeah
20:00 <Gareth>: I climb up.
20:01 <Skid_GMing>: You find a single-room treehouse with a bit of a balcony, utterly covered in blood.
20:01 <Gareth>: I rethink having those crystals banging around in my bag.
20:02 <Gareth>: I poke around a bit with the staff looking for anything important.
20:03 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
20:03 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 16
20:04 <Skid_GMing>: For loot... you find a couple pockets full of silver, working out to 160 nobles, and the boots stolen from Cyrus.
20:05 <Gareth>: Aha!
20:05 <Gareth>: Can I tell if there's something special about them?
20:06 <Skid_GMing>: They're a pair of fine leatherwork with an unusually agressive tread and high, stiff sides.
20:07 <Gareth>: Are they bloody?
20:07 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
20:07 <Gareth>: I drop them down.
20:07 <Gareth>: And go down.
20:08 <Skid_GMing>: Steadfast Boots (asset to resisting movement) These tough-looking boots have an agressive tread that helps the wearer resist being pushed from anywhere they choose to stand.
20:08 <Gareth>: Ooh
20:09 <Gareth>: I put them in a separate bag.
20:09 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
20:10 <Skid_GMing>: "Here Levi, I got you a gift. It still might have feet in it."
20:11 <Gareth>: Exactly
20:11 <Gareth>: What was the actual objective here? Just deal with the runaways however? Or was there something specific we need
20:12 <Skid_GMing>: You were hunting intel and trying to capture mercenaries.
20:13 <Gareth>: So one out of two?
20:13 <Skid_GMing>: Still have a couple prisoners.
20:13 <Gareth>: Oh yeah!
20:14 <Gareth>: I see to the broken guy
20:14 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
20:14 <Skid_GMing>: You stabilize him for travel.
20:14 <Gareth>: Good
20:17 <Skid_GMing>: Interrogation returns a few new details about the larger situation. One of the armies they were meant to meet with was Tahargan's Braves, a desert band known for taming ferocious beasts through magic.
20:24 <Gareth>: Do I need to do something else?
20:25 <Skid_GMing>: No that about wraps things up.
20:25 <Gareth>: Cool
20:25 <Gareth>: That wasn't too bad
20:25 <Gareth>: I think I broke the encounter though
20:25 <Gareth>: :p
20:25 <Skid_GMing>: Being clever is worth just as much as digging in to fight fairly. =p
20:26 <Skid_GMing>: Two XP for mission.
20:26 <Gareth>: For what it's worth (now that it's over! ;) ) I thought I would have missed the crystal with that roll
20:27 <Gareth>: Small target, in motion
20:28 <Skid_GMing>: In motion, but flying predictably and not resisting. And level 4 is nothing to sneeze at.
20:29 <Gareth>: You're the GM, your call. I'm not complaining ;)

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:38 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
User avatar
The man that stops the monsters

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Posts: 5103
Age: 101

Cash: 2,131.08
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
Side Mission, Leviticus: Fugitive Pursuit Part 2
Concurrent with Part 1 and Part 3
Takes place directly after the Mercenary Occupation mission
Quote:
18:53 Woody is now known as Leviticus
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: You find yourself with a couple of Embers deep in the forest in pursuit of a fleeing band of mercenaries.
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: The trees are huge, forming an inpenetrable canopy that blocks out almost all light.
18:57 <Leviticus>: I assume my wilderness knowledge includes some amount of tracking experience?
18:57 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:57 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check, with that as an asset.
18:58 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
18:58 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 14
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: You're following four mercenaries. They are not far ahead, and having trouble passing through the fairly dense underbrush.
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: It is much easier for you, as you follow the path they've already trampled.
19:00 <Leviticus>: How many men do I have?
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: Two.
19:00 <Leviticus>: Alright, we proceed
19:02 <Skid_GMing>: The tracks suddenly split, two going to the left, two to the right.
19:03 <Leviticus>: Do I know anything about these particular mercenaries?
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: They're not elite fighters, or very good at woodscraft.
19:05 <Leviticus>: So approximately equal level to my men?
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:06 <Leviticus>: Hmm
19:07 <Leviticus>: I send the men to the left with the poodle while I go to the right with Numbers
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm. Okay.
19:08 <Leviticus>: Wait
19:08 <Leviticus>: Before I do, will they be able to use the poodle?
19:08 <Leviticus>: I assume they can't shadowmark
19:09 <Leviticus>: But I can make him visible and send him along as an additional fighter, yes?
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: If he's in realspace, yes.
19:09 <bookworm>: They can command it? Or it would just act?
19:10 <Skid_GMing>: Roll an animal handling check yourself.
19:10 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
19:10 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 17
19:10 <Skid_GMing>: Yes, poodle will obey them.
19:10 <Leviticus>: Also, what about health and healings?
19:10 <Leviticus>: Are they reset?
19:12 <Skid_GMing>: Yes. It's been a day, you should be reasonably close to full.
19:12 <Leviticus>: So shadowmarks reset too
19:12 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:13 <Leviticus>: Can I say that I didn't shadowmark them today?
19:13 <Leviticus>: Since there was no danger?
19:13 <Leviticus>: Or crazy things for them to climb?
19:13 <Skid_GMing>: Sure.
19:13 <Leviticus>: Good
19:13 <Leviticus>: Alright, moving on then
19:13 <Skid_GMing>: Are you using a light source?
19:14 <Leviticus>: Do I need one?
19:14 <Skid_GMing>: You can navigate without one, but will be taking a penalty to seeing things without it.
19:15 <Skid_GMing>: On the other hand, using one will make yourself more visible.
19:15 <Leviticus>: I suppose I'll use one
19:15 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:15 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check.
19:16 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
19:16 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 10
19:16 <Skid_GMing>: Are you trained in perception?
19:17 <Leviticus>: No *gulp*
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. You see a man in a clearing ahead, shifting from foot to foot, nervously.
19:18 <Leviticus>: Hmm
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: He has a torch.
19:18 <Leviticus>: I cautiously look around for the other man
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: You don't see him in the darkness.
19:19 <Leviticus>: "Surrender now if you wish to survive" I say threateningly
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: Roll an intimidation check. And a sense motive check.
19:20 <Leviticus>: Any of my stuff count as an asset to either?
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm. What are you thinking of?
19:21 <Leviticus>: *shrugs* just a thought
19:21 <bookworm>: Maybe the wolf
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: And how close are you getting?
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: Might be harder from a distance.
19:21 <Leviticus>: I'm staying back, because I anticipate an ambush
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, roll from where you are then.
19:22 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
19:22 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 18
19:22 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
19:22 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 19
19:22 <Leviticus>: niiice
19:23 <Skid_GMing>: The man throws up his hands in surrender, dropping his torch to the wet forest floor.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: "I don't want any trouble!" he says.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: He doesn't move, however.
19:24 <Leviticus>: And the sense motive?
19:25 <Skid_GMing>: You're absolutely certain he's not surrendering honestly.
19:25 <Leviticus>: Alright, then I demand he come closer
19:27 <Skid_GMing>: He hesitates, and then approaches you, angling across the clearing not directly in your direction.
19:27 <Leviticus>: So there's a trap in the clearing, simple enough
19:28 <Leviticus>: I look for a trap
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check.
19:29 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
19:29 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 14
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: You're not seeing anything in the clearing that looks like a trap. However, you smell the faint scent of burning.
19:30 <Leviticus>: I'm carrying a torch, of course I smell burning
19:30 <Skid_GMing>: Well, yess.
19:31 <Leviticus>: Care to be more descriptive?
19:31 <Skid_GMing>: It doesn't smell like torch.
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: But the exact material doesn't come to mind.
19:34 <Leviticus>: I cautiously skirt the clearing in like manner to him
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: How are you approaching him?
19:36 <Leviticus>: If the clearing is round, I'm going the same direction as he is, so away from him
19:36 <Skid_GMing>: Huh?
19:36 <Skid_GMing>: You're going to meet him, inside the edge of the clearing?
19:37 <Leviticus>: Um... yes?
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: You hear a series of explosions in the distance, followed by the crashing of falling trees.
19:38 <Leviticus>: Oh my
19:38 <Skid_GMing>: Immediately, a mercenary bursts from cover at your side of the clearing and sprints across it to grab the man surrendering to you.
19:39 <Leviticus>: Wait, what?
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: Someone was hiding in the bushes near you. He's leaving now. and taking his friend.
19:40 <Leviticus>: So, tree is about to be crashing down on me?
19:41 <Skid_GMing>: The trees near you haven't moved.
19:41 <Skid_GMing>: The sound is distant. About far enough away to be your other group.
19:41 <Leviticus>: Oi vey
19:41 <Leviticus>: Don't tell me my poodle is dead >_>
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: Haven't told you that yet.
19:43 <Leviticus>: Alright, I chase the men, because I anticipate that torch he dropped is lighting another bomb
19:43 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, roll a run check.
19:43 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 1 effort
19:43 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, 1 effort: 2
19:43 <Leviticus>: Right when I need it most, Dicey
19:44 <Skid_GMing>: Also, any orders for your wolf?
19:44 <Leviticus>: Coming with me?
19:44 <Skid_GMing>: Well, he's probably better at running than you.
19:44 <Leviticus>: I send him to check on the others
19:45 <Leviticus>: If they're alive, help fight
19:45 <Leviticus>: If not, come back
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
19:45 <Skid_GMing>: He disappears into the brush.
19:46 <Skid_GMing>: You make it partway into the clearing as explosions erupt at the edges around you. Large trees crash down in your direction.
19:46 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a dodge.
19:47 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
19:47 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 9
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: You're caught in the branches as a tree sweeps down on top of you with a splintering crash.
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a might defense check.
19:48 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 1 effort
19:48 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, 1 effort: 6
19:48 <Leviticus>: Dicebot suddenly hates me
19:49 <Skid_GMing>: A reason to raise your effort cap, for when you really can't afford to fail.
19:49 Leviticus nods
19:50 <Leviticus>: I'll be sure to do that with my next character =P
19:50 <Skid_GMing>: You take 4 might damage and are partially entangled in the branches as the mercenaries dive into the edge of the woods.
19:50 <Leviticus>: I do what I can to disentangle myself
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: Roll another might check.
19:51 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 1 effort
19:51 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, 1 effort: 6
19:51 <Skid_GMing>: You slowly extract yourself.
19:52 <Leviticus>: I go after the mercs
19:52 <Skid_GMing>: You hear the fleeing mercenaries who are making no pretence at stealth.
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check, augemented by wilderness survival.
19:53 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
19:53 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 11
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: They're headed towards where you heard the other explosions.
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: And roll your run check for chasing them down.
19:54 <Leviticus>: !roll d20
19:54 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 10
19:54 <Skid_GMing>: You pound through the bushes in their direction.
19:55 <Skid_GMing>: Ahead, you hear desperate fighting and the glare of torchlight.
19:56 <Leviticus>: I keep going
19:58 <Skid_GMing>: You arrive at a cluster of downed trees, your poodle lies trapped beneath the branches of one of them, snapping innefectively at a mercenary poking at it with a sword. The other mercs and your fellow Embers are locked in combat, hampered by the fallen trees.
19:59 <Leviticus>: Can my poodle free itself if I take the merc?
19:59 <Leviticus>: Also, where is Numbers?
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: Maybe. You don't see Numbers right away.
20:00 <Leviticus>: I cut the poodle free
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: Ignoring the mercenary right next him?
20:01 <Leviticus>: Um no
20:01 <Leviticus>: I attack the merc
20:01 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 1 effort to hit
20:01 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, 1 effort to hit: 16
20:02 <Skid_GMing>: That's definitely a hit.
20:02 <Skid_GMing>: He reels back at your attack.
20:03 <Leviticus>: I take the oppotunity to cast defender on one of the Embers
20:03 <Skid_GMing>: Good.
20:03 <Skid_GMing>: The merc goes for you with his sword. Roll a dodge.
20:04 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
20:04 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 13
20:04 <Skid_GMing>: You evade his strike. He takes a face full of thorns.
20:05 <Skid_GMing>: The fight is going poorly for the Embers, despite your buff.
20:05 <Skid_GMing>: And it's your turn again.
20:07 <Leviticus>: Hmm...
20:07 <Leviticus>: I cut the poodle free and send it to help the Embers
20:07 <Skid_GMing>: Roll your attack.
20:08 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 1 effort
20:08 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, 1 effort: 2
20:09 <Skid_GMing>: Man, the dice just don't like you tonight.
20:09 <Skid_GMing>: You sweep away a few twigs, but are hampered by the swordman still at your flank.
20:10 <Skid_GMing>: He goes for another attack at you.
20:10 <Skid_GMing>: Dodge.
20:10 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
20:10 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 17
20:11 <Skid_GMing>: He is lashed by your thorns again, putting him out of the fight.
20:11 <Skid_GMing>: You're clear to help your poodle.
20:12 <Leviticus>: I let him get out by himself and go help the Embers
20:13 <Skid_GMing>: Okay you arrive at the Embers fight, both of your allies are badly wounded, and faced by three mercenaries.
20:13 <Leviticus>: I strike at the weakest enemy
20:14 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 specialized light 1 effort
20:14 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, specialized light 1 effort: 13
20:14 <Skid_GMing>: Effort to?
20:14 <Leviticus>: Damage
20:14 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you enter the fight by skewering a mercenary.
20:15 <Skid_GMing>: Your allies shrink back to shelter behind you. You take desperate sword attacks from both surviving mercenaries. Dodge.
20:15 <Skid_GMing>: Wait, are you using that rapier?
20:17 <Leviticus>: yes
20:17 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 specialized light 1 effort to damage
20:17 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, specialized light 1 effort to damage: 9
20:18 <Skid_GMing>: You stab a second merc. Now dodge.
20:18 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 trained
20:18 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, trained: 10
20:20 <Skid_GMing>: You take one hit from a sword for 4 damage, and both mercenaries go down under your allies' assault.
20:20 <Leviticus>: So, we're done?
20:20 <Skid_GMing>: Yes. The fight is over.
20:21 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
20:21 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 5
20:21 <Skid_GMing>: You find 150 nobles in their pockets, looted from Cyrus's pay chests.
20:22 <Leviticus>: What about Numbers?
20:22 <Skid_GMing>: You find him at the edge of the fight, wounded.
20:22 <Leviticus>: I use my in combat heal on him
20:23 <Leviticus>: !roll d6+1
20:23 <Dicebot>: Leviticus: 3:2+1
20:24 <Skid_GMing>: You know your pets /still/ use their own recovery rolls, right?
20:24 <Leviticus>: I assumed, Numbers would have used his
20:24 <Skid_GMing>: Hard to interview dead mercs, so you don't get intel.
20:24 <Leviticus>: I can't not kill one of them? =P
20:24 <Skid_GMing>: Well, you didn't exactly call for anyone to surrender...
20:24 <bookworm>: He couldn't have held back damage?
20:24 <Leviticus>: Well, no one told me I was supposed to collect intel
20:25 <bookworm>: That's why we're each going after some.
20:25 <Skid_GMing>: That, and recovering loot.
20:25 <bookworm>: Right
20:28 <bookworm>: So Olwen has the mage killer
20:28 <bookworm>: Presumably
20:28 <Skid_GMing>: Anyway, you also find an odd object on one of the mercenaries. It's a palm-sized, extremely shiny amulet that seems to be enchanted. It has "Cyrus" engraved across the back in flowery lettering.
20:29 <Leviticus>: !roll d20 magic training
20:29 <Dicebot>: Leviticus, magic training: 11
20:29 <Skid_GMing>: Mirror Projector (1 day recharge, 4 int recharge, mirror projector) This palm-sized amulet projects a full length vertical mirror into the space above it, which lasts for an hour. The mirror is nonphysical, only reflecting light.
20:30 <bookworm>: Ha, that's awesome
20:30 <Leviticus>: And that's useful how?
20:30 <bookworm>: I can think of some uses
20:30 <Skid_GMing>: Not highly useful, but has some market value. Worth 5 Royals.
20:30 <Skid_GMing>: Or if anyone specializes in laser magic.
20:31 <bookworm>: We could probably do some nifty things with it in combination with the sun disk
20:34 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. You get 2 XP for the side mission

_________________
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:40 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14178
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 641.50
Bank: 55,109.36
Side Mission, Olwen: Fugitive Pursuit Part 3
Concurrent with Part 1 and Part 2
Takes place directly after the Mercenary Occupation mission
Quote:
18:04 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
18:06 <Skid_GMing>: You find yourself and a pair of allies tracking a lone pair of catlike footprints to the edge of a desolate swamp. The stripped trunks of long-dead trees stand like razor teeth above the murky waters.
18:06 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check.
18:08 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
18:08 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 8
18:08 <Olwen>: Ooh, I like swamps.
18:10 <Skid_GMing>: The clawprints run out to the end of a log, and leap to a standing tree. The fresh scratches are clearly visible as they ascend its weathered surface and leap to the next trunk a dozen feet ahead. They then ascend again, presumably to repeat the process.
18:11 <Olwen>: Hmm.. how hard would it be to follow?
18:12 <Skid_GMing>: With your grapple shot and acrobatics ability? Not terribly painful.
18:12 <Olwen>: Alright, I follow as best as I can.
18:13 <Skid_GMing>: It does mean leaving your two allies behind.
18:14 <Skid_GMing>: But sure. Roll an acrobatics check for general speed of traversal.
18:15 <Olwen>: !roll d20 trained
18:15 <Dicebot>: Olwen, trained: 9
18:16 <Skid_GMing>: You swing your way deeper into the swamp, distances obscured by soupy fog. You notice that the claw marks are occasionally sparse, as if their maker is jumping 20 or even 30 feet from tree to tree. They seem to be making towards an island with a pair of scraggly living trees desperately clinging to it.
18:17 <Olwen>: How big is the island?
18:18 <Skid_GMing>: From its stillouette you assume about 50 feet across, with the trees near the center.
18:19 <Skid_GMing>: Their foliage isn't dense, but could easily provide concealment to a skilled hunter.
18:20 <Olwen>: Okay, I approach the island.
18:21 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
18:21 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 10
18:22 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check.
18:22 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
18:22 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 1
18:22 <Olwen>: O_O
18:22 <Olwen>: Uh oh.
18:24 <Skid_GMing>: As you close to a hundred feet from the island, the trunk you chose to jump to collapses, pitching you down into the mud. As you flounder, a crossbow bolt strikes your arm, dealing 3 damage.
18:25 <Olwen>: That's not a very good start.
18:25 <Olwen>: Where's the closest bush that I can use for cover?
18:26 <Skid_GMing>: There's not much in the way of bushes, but the tree that just fell next to you could work.
18:27 <Olwen>: I duck behind that for cover.
18:28 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, for layout, that trunk that fell angled towards the island, and was about 40 feet long. You're at its base.
18:28 <Olwen>: Great.
18:28 <Skid_GMing>: It's large enough to give full concealment from the archer if you submerge yourself mostly in swamp goo.
18:29 <Olwen>: Alright, do I know what direction the arrow came from?
18:30 <Skid_GMing>: You were kinda distracted by falling out of a tree.
18:30 <Skid_GMing>: But you can roll another preception check now.
18:31 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
18:31 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 6
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm. You can't see the shooter, specifically. But the angle of the bolt that hit you implies that it was from above, and the barren trunks of the swamp don't offer a lot of cover to a climber.
18:36 <Olwen>: Great, it's a flying cat with a crossbow.
18:36 <Olwen>: I try to make my way along the tree to get closer to the island.
18:37 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. Make a run check and a dodge check.
18:39 <Olwen>: !roll d20 run check
18:39 <Dicebot>: Olwen, run check: 16
18:39 <Olwen>: !roll d20 dodge check trained
18:39 <Dicebot>: Olwen, dodge check trained: 11
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: You pop out of cover and book it down the length of the fallen tree. You take another shot from the crossbow as you run. 3 damage. You're now 50 feet from the shore, with murky swamp muck and standing trees intervening.
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: Well, standing trunks. They're still the limbless spikes you've encountered through the rest of the sawmp.
18:43 <Olwen>: Did I get a better location on the shooter?
18:44 <Skid_GMing>: Yes, you saw that last shot coming. They're about 30 feet up the left tree on the island.
18:44 <Olwen>: Did I see them?
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: They're not more than a dark shape in the leaves from where you are.
18:46 <Olwen>: Can I see to hit them with an arrow?
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: It would be a difficult shot, but maybe.
18:47 <Olwen>: Worth a try, right?
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: They've got partial cover and the high ground.
18:48 <Olwen>: Does my bow or crossbow have better accuracy?
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: Your Tackle Bow has better accuracy, but that's also just outside its range.
18:49 <Olwen>: Tackle bow?
18:51 <Skid_GMing>: The one you just got from the end of the last mission.
18:51 <Skid_GMing>: It's a light bow, but has a 50 foot range.
18:51 <Olwen>: Ohhhh..
18:51 <Olwen>: How much damage would it deal?
18:52 <Skid_GMing>: Three without effort.
18:52 <Olwen>: OK.
18:52 <Skid_GMing>: But it also has the slowing effect.
18:53 <Skid_GMing>: So if you hit with it, it's easier to hit with anything else.
18:53 <Olwen>: OK.
18:53 <Olwen>: It there anything in particular that I could use as cover to get within range?
18:54 <Olwen>: large mound of mud?
18:54 <Skid_GMing>: !roll d20
18:54 <Dicebot>: Skid_GMing: 2
18:54 <Olwen>: aww....
18:55 <Skid_GMing>: Just the standing trunks every dozen feet or so.
18:56 <Olwen>: Well, I take a shot with my regular bow then.
18:56 <Skid_GMing>: Okay.
18:56 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
18:56 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 17
18:57 <Skid_GMing>: You take the shot, and hear a satisfying yelp of pain up the tree. A second later, fire is returned. Dodge.
18:58 <Olwen>: !roll d20 trained 1 effort
18:58 <Dicebot>: Olwen, trained 1 effort: 19
18:58 <Olwen>: That would be a speed effort, right?
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
18:58 <Skid_GMing>: And you make it. The bolt splooshes harmlessly into the swamp.
18:59 <Olwen>: Yay!
18:59 <Olwen>: I'm really starting to regret giving away that blackthorn shield.
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: Your go again.
19:00 <Olwen>: Aughh..
19:00 <Olwen>: I can't just continue, hoping I don't get hit too often. I don't have the might pool for that.
19:02 <Olwen>: Maybe I can distract them..
19:02 <Skid_GMing>: Have any spare grenades laying around?
19:02 <Olwen>: noo....
19:02 <Olwen>: I have a loaf of bread.
19:03 <bookworm>: And an onion
19:03 <bookworm>: Have a picnic! \:D/
19:03 <Olwen>: No, I lost the onion a while ago. :(
19:03 <bookworm>: I thought you retrieved it
19:03 <bookworm>: Unless you lost it again
19:04 <Olwen>: Yeah, it fell in a hole or something. I forget.
19:04 <Olwen>: I take another shot with my bow.
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. Fire away.
19:04 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized
19:04 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized: 6
19:04 <Skid_GMing>: You want to be using effort?
19:05 <Olwen>: What pool would it come from?
19:05 <Skid_GMing>: Speed.
19:05 <Olwen>: OK, sure I use an effort to hit
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: That's juuust a miss.
19:06 <Skid_GMing>: And you're geting bolted again.
19:07 <Olwen>: !roll d20 trained 1 effort
19:07 <Dicebot>: Olwen, trained 1 effort: 13
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: You're good. The bolt flits harmlessly by.
19:07 <Olwen>: Whew.
19:08 <Olwen>: I guess I try again.
19:08 <Olwen>: !roll d20 specialized 1 effort
19:08 <Dicebot>: Olwen, specialized 1 effort: 18
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: You land another shot in the tree shooter.
19:10 <Olwen>: Yay!
19:10 <Olwen>: Do they do anything special?
19:10 <Skid_GMing>: "Augh! Break it off, would you!"
19:10 <bookworm>: She was briefed on her objectives before going out right?
19:10 <bookworm>: Don't want another Levi incident
19:10 <Olwen>: I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing.
19:11 <Skid_GMing>: Recover intel and loot, take down escaping mercenaries.
19:11 <Olwen>: "Surrender and I will!"
19:12 <Skid_GMing>: "Fine! I'm not surrendering, but let's talk."
19:13 <Skid_GMing>: "What's a lunatic like you doing in this swamp?" The voice is feminine, but has a raspy, inhuman quality.
19:14 <Olwen>: "Looking for escapees from the fortress the Ember Patrol took down. What's a lunatic like you doing in this swamp?"
19:16 <Skid_GMing>: "Hunting for bog snoggarts. Look, I didn't do anything I wasn't paid to do."
19:17 <Olwen>: bog snoggart? Do I know what that is?
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: Like a slug. Some of their internal organs are a delicacy. Some of their other organs are a deadly toxin.
19:19 <Olwen>: "Were you at the fortress?"
19:19 <Skid_GMing>: "Maybe I was."
19:20 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a diplomacy check.
19:21 <Olwen>: !roll d20
19:21 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 14
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: "Maybe the pay wasn't as good after the place exploded. What are you getting paid for this? I'm sure I could top their offer."
19:22 <Olwen>: What am I getting paid for this?
19:23 <Skid_GMing>: As technically an Ember Patrol Squad Commander?
19:23 <Olwen>: Whatever I am.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: For doing this in particular? Not more than a handful off Nobles.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: And you're getting paid regardless.
19:25 <Olwen>: "Topping their offer for what reason? What are you trying to get me to do?"
19:27 <Skid_GMing>: "Go away, mostly."
19:27 <Skid_GMing>: "I have a few reasons to not want to be dead."
19:28 <Olwen>: "Are you the one that was suppressing magic?"
19:29 <Skid_GMing>: "Depends. Would that be a good thing or an I-want-you-dead thing?"
19:30 <Olwen>: "That would be a good thing, depending on if you want to share this knowledge."
19:30 <Skid_GMing>: "What do you want to know?"
19:32 <Skid_GMing>: "I can extinguish most mages like a river on a fire."
19:32 <Olwen>: "How do you do it?"
19:33 <Skid_GMing>: "Magic."
19:34 <Skid_GMing>: "Or not magic. It takes years of training, and I'm not taking an apprentice."
19:35 <Olwen>: "So you've been trained to do this?"
19:35 <Olwen>: "It doesn't take some special artifact or anything?"
19:36 <Skid_GMing>: "Yes. If I die, you can't take it off my body."
19:38 <Olwen>: "Why should I believe you?"
19:38 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a detect deception check.
19:39 <Olwen>: !roll d20
19:39 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 15
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: She seems to be telling the truth about that power.
19:40 <Skid_GMing>: "Because if it was an artifact I would sell it and do something less dangerous with my life than get shot at in swamps."
19:42 <Olwen>: "Well, you could at least join the Embers, then we wouldn't be shooting at you in swamps."
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: "Wait, is that who you're with?"
19:42 <Skid_GMing>: "Sorry, I didn't see it under all your mud."
19:43 <Olwen>: "As a matter of fact, I am."
19:44 <Skid_GMing>: "I don't think heroics are the place for me. But if you're out here playing the hero of justice, let's say I trade you some information for my freedom."
19:44 <Olwen>: "That works for me."
19:46 <Skid_GMing>: "You've taken out Cyrus. You know we were headed to obliterate the Dawn Fortress. Don't know how you got the drop on us, but I don't think you'll have as easy a time with the other forces."
19:46 <Olwen>: "What's special about them?"
19:47 <Skid_GMing>: "The Emperor is sending one of his personal friends to lead the northern forces. They say he's already taken the offer of immortality, and whatever ritual that takes."
19:47 <Olwen>: "Do you know anything else about it?"
19:48 <Skid_GMing>: "Only the legend about dragons, and probably some sort of gruesome sacrfice."
19:49 <Skid_GMing>: "Oh, but you mean the forces. 200 men scrounged from the barbarians of the north."
19:50 <Olwen>: "Wait, what was that about dragons?"
19:52 <Skid_GMing>: "That a dragon cannot be killed except by another dragon? They say the academics at the university have unlocked that secret."
19:53 <Skid_GMing>: "And now the Emperor himself has become immortal, and shares that power with the worthy."
19:53 <Olwen>: "Aw man.. I was hoping this wouldn't happen."
19:54 <Olwen>: "Do you know anything else that you can tell us?"
19:57 <Skid_GMing>: "Hmm? I thought that was at least worth a life. And unless I tend these wounds, I might not get that out of the deal."
19:59 <Olwen>: "Alright, just one more thing. Where did you learn your magic suppression?"
20:00 <Skid_GMing>: "The Fandrea Island, in the south seas. Only way to keep a ship afloat in those enchanted waters."
20:01 <Olwen>: "Thank you. Now let's get out of this swamp."
20:01 <Skid_GMing>: "I'll give you a tip. Take the old log trail from this island to the west. It's a much easier walk than hopping through the swamp."
20:01 <Olwen>: "Great. Sorry for shooting you with arrows."
20:03 <Skid_GMing>: "I'll just imagine you got eaten by crocodiles on the way out."
20:03 <Olwen>: "Perfect."
20:05 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, that about wraps this up then.
20:06 <Skid_GMing>: Unless you have some stuff you want to do before heading back.
20:08 <Olwen>: If she's gone, I want to look at the tree she was hiding in, see if I can get some clues to her appearance.
20:09 <Skid_GMing>: You want to hide and see if you can watch her leave?
20:09 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a stealth check.
20:18 <Olwen>: !roll d20
20:18 <Dicebot>: Olwen: 18
20:18 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm, asset from being covered is swamp goo... you have training in this, right?
20:19 <bookworm>: And free effort?
20:19 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
20:19 <Olwen>: I'm not trained in stealth.
20:20 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, that's still a really high roll.
20:21 <Skid_GMing>: You circle around and take up a position near the island.
20:21 <Olwen>: Do I see anything?
20:23 <Skid_GMing>: After a couple chilly hours, you see the woman jump from the tree and glide on a wide, dark cape to one of the standing trunks. Her catlike claws dig into its bark and she clambers to the top, where she launches again, targetting a distant log.
20:23 <Skid_GMing>: The armor matches the hooded woman from the fortress, though the Scythian emblems have been torn off.
20:23 <bookworm>: Batman
20:24 <bookworm>: Or Catman
20:24 <bookworm>: Or Catwoman
20:24 <Olwen>: Ok, I leave now.
20:25 <bookworm>: That would have been cool loot
20:25 <bookworm>: But you did great
20:25 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. You follow the log path and circle back to your companions.
20:26 <Olwen>: That's the end, right?
20:26 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
20:27 <Skid_GMing>: Three XP for the mission, for getting intel.
20:27 <bookworm>: I got intel
20:27 <bookworm>: Why only 2? :x
20:27 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah, but you also got some loot.
20:28 <bookworm>: Oh I thought she did too
20:28 <bookworm>: Ok
20:28 <Olwen>: I got some swamp mud.
20:28 <Skid_GMing>: You can even bring enough back for everyone.
20:29 <bookworm>: Oh boy! :P
20:31 <Skid_GMing>: Next week is the return to Dawn Fortress.
20:31 <bookworm>: Will next one be back at base or do we play the journey back?
20:32 <Skid_GMing>: You'll be back at base.
20:33 <Skid_GMing>: Deciding what to do about the coming invasion.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:09 pm 
Jehoshaphat Rocks!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Posts: 1343
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 392.74
Bank: 0.00
Okay, Woody, Tikvah, and Bookworm each earn 2 XP for attending the mission briefing.

And for imitating a plan to infiltrate the enemy camp under the guise of traveling entertainers, they earn 1 XP and 1 to give away.


Top
  Offline Profile  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:57 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14178
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 641.50
Bank: 55,109.36
I give my XP to Tikvah for making a plan.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:11 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
User avatar
The man that stops the monsters

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Posts: 5103
Age: 101

Cash: 2,131.08
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
I give mine to bookworm for trying to understand the geography.

_________________
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:44 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14178
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 641.50
Bank: 55,109.36
Barbarian Camp, Session 1 of 4
Continued by Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
We need an infiltration team. Gather intel on the approaching band of barbarians to discern their intentions.
Quote:
17:35 bookworm is now known as Gareth
17:35 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
17:35 Woody is now known as Leviticus
17:37 <Olwen>: I should have used my XP before this session.
17:37 <Olwen>: Oh well.
17:37 <Skid>: Woody has limited time tonight, so I think I'm going to push back the start of the next mission to next week so we have time for everyone to spend XP and buy some equipment. And so I can polish up the mission intro a bit better.
17:38 <Skid>: You guys are moving into the final stretch of the campaign.
17:38 <Olwen>: Ooh, fun
17:56 Olwen just finished reading the other Fugitive pursuit logs.
17:56 <Olwen>: Everyone got loot but me :(
17:57 <Olwen>: I guess I'm just too nice.
17:57 <Leviticus>: Well, you admittedly got the best intel
17:59 <Olwen>: Intel doesn't buy cool stuff.
18:00 <Gareth>: Speaking of which
18:00 <Gareth>: "Here Levi, I got you a gift. It might still have feet in it."
18:01 <Leviticus>: xD
18:01 <Leviticus>: I saw that in the log
18:01 Olwen takes several steps back.
18:01 <Leviticus>: Skid, any benefits when those boots combine with my Braced Defense?
18:01 <Skid>: Well, you're harder to knock out of stance.
18:02 <Skid>: So everyone who goes to knock you down will have a harder time.
18:03 <Leviticus>: I assume I'm taking the Pirate Blades, as they'll be of most use to me. Gareth takes the staff, armor gel, and soul-trapping crystals, and Olwen takes the bow
18:04 <Leviticus>: We split the cash evenly, and all's well
18:04 <Olwen>: Sure.
18:04 <Skid>: You might want to spread the consumables around so everyone has some available.
18:04 <Leviticus>: Fair point
18:05 <Leviticus>: Also, I'd like a smoke bomb or two, seems to me they might come in useful this next mission
18:05 <Skid>: Okay.
18:06 <Leviticus>: Oh, and we definitely should keep the bloatbread, we could feed it to the other armies
18:06 <Olwen>: Does my Dark Vision help at all in smoke bombs?
18:07 <Skid>: Not specifically, no. It still blocks line of sight.
18:07 <Olwen>: Aww...
18:08 <Olwen>: Can I buy a Flashbang and a Smoke bomb?
18:08 <Skid>: Yes.
18:08 <Olwen>: I forget how much you said they cost to have them attached to arrows.
18:08 <Skid>: I think it was 5 nobles extra or so.
18:08 <Leviticus>: Also taking two healing salves
18:08 <Skid>: Okay.
18:09 <Leviticus>: Want to be prepared for bringing three animals rather than two
18:09 <Skid>: Cloak two, use a long rest, then cloak the third?
18:10 <Skid>: Oh, just for healing them.
18:11 <Leviticus>: No, more for cloaking all three
18:11 <Leviticus>: Though now that you meantion it, I'll take another for the purpose of healing them
18:11 <Leviticus>: BTW, I now have two Level 4's, guys, so we have a Level 4 and two Level 5's whenever they're near me
18:11 <Gareth>: How much HP?
18:11 <Skid>: Standard HP 3x level, and the poodle has an armor point.
18:12 <Leviticus>: So 12 and 15, respectively. Or 9 and 12, when not near me
Quote:
18:00 bookworm is now known as Gareth
18:00 Tikvah is now known as Olwen
18:00 Woody is now known as Leviticus
18:01 <Gareth>: Should I have been rolling for Bind Tongue all this time Skid?
18:02 <Skid>: Yeah, I forgot about that. Not that it really matters for most cases since you can just try again until you hit the target level.
18:04 <Gareth>: Is it easier if they're not expecting it?
18:05 <Skid>: Should be, probably.
18:08 <Skid>: Okay.
18:08 Skid is now known as Skid_GMing
18:09 <Skid_GMing>: You return to Dawn Fortress, slowed by harrowing sandstorms that scour the desert. As you near the fortress at dusk, you see a glowing beacon sitting atop a newly constructed stone tower. It sweeps the sky and desert with a piercing red beam of light.
18:10 <Leviticus>: Already conquered?
18:11 <Olwen>: Uh oh.
18:11 <Leviticus>: BTW, just so everyone knows
18:11 <Leviticus>: I sold one pirate blade and got armor that immortalizes my abberation shard
18:12 <Skid_GMing>: Levi bought scary expensive new armor.
18:12 <Skid_GMing>: Abberation Armor (armor 4, weight 3, 1 day recharge, 4 int recharge, 10ft radius attack, 4x3 damage) This enchanted gothic armor is possessed by a Bladed Phantom. When summoned by the user, it delivers a flurry of strikes to all nearby enemies.
18:13 <Gareth>: Great
18:13 <Leviticus>: I only sold one, as I feared we might face the blades again with a more powerful weilder
18:13 <Olwen>: So, what do we do?
18:14 <Gareth>: Continue in
18:15 <Olwen>: OK, let's go.
18:16 <Leviticus>: Skid, can we use perception checks to determine whether the tower is enemy or friend?
18:16 <Leviticus>: Or magic checks?
18:16 <Gareth>: Why do you assume it's not a defensive measure?
18:16 <Skid_GMing>: Hmm, you have any ideas how you would do that?
18:16 <Skid_GMing>: And how close do you want to get?
18:17 <Leviticus>: Well, I suppose by the magical signature?
18:17 <Gareth>: That wouldn't tell what side it was on
18:17 <Skid_GMing>: I mean, the easiest way is to see if it shoots at you, I guess.
18:17 <Leviticus>: But then we'd lose stealth
18:17 <Skid_GMing>: Not from this range. It appears to be an enchanted device though, rather than a mage.
18:18 <Skid_GMing>: How close do you want to get?
18:19 <Gareth>: In the door
18:19 <Gareth>: We need to see Ursa
18:19 <Leviticus>: I'm just scared the fortress has already been conquered
18:19 <Gareth>: I'm not
18:19 <Leviticus>: And the tower is a defense AGAINST us
18:19 <Leviticus>: After all, our return was slowed
18:19 <Gareth>: Hmm fair point
18:20 <Gareth>: Well stay out of the light then
18:20 <Leviticus>: Who knows how long it's been?
18:20 <Skid_GMing>: It's been a couple weeks since you left the mercenary fortress.
18:20 <Leviticus>: And we're the ones coming to tell them there's an attack coming
18:21 <Leviticus>: Why would they build a tower they didn't know they'd need?
18:21 <Gareth>: They knew something was wrong
18:21 <Skid_GMing>: You did give them a free earth mage.
18:21 <Gareth>: Did she stay around?
18:22 <Gareth>: Cool
18:22 <Leviticus>: Anyway, we move closer, but avoid the light
18:22 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, you close in. Someone roll a stealth check.
18:23 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained
18:23 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained: 10
18:23 <Gareth>: Speed or Int?
18:24 <Skid_GMing>: Good enough. You make it to edge of the moat without being seen.
18:24 <Skid_GMing>: Roll a perception check.
18:24 <Gareth>: !roll d20 trained, effort
18:24 <Dicebot>: Gareth, trained, effort: 20
18:25 <Olwen>: Wow.
18:25 <Skid_GMing>: You see a sentry at the top of the wall. Familiar looking, and wearing the Ember uniform. Her name is Phillis.
18:26 <Olwen>: I bet the fortress was taken over by lizard people. We need LIGHTNING and his lizard goggles.
18:26 <Leviticus>: In we go, then
18:26 <Leviticus>: Wait, really?
18:27 <Olwen>: I was joking, but you never know.
18:27 <Skid_GMing>: A level 8 perception check instills a certain amount of confidence in the result.
18:28 <Olwen>: Yeah.
18:28 <Leviticus>: Then we head in
18:29 <Skid_GMing>: Okay. You hail the sentry. She's surprised to see your group, but orders the gates opened after recognizing several of your members.
18:29 <Olwen>: Good.
18:29 <Skid_GMing>: The stone slab bridge thuds into place, granting you access to the fortress.
18:30 <Skid_GMing>: The atmosphere inside is hushed. Piles of supplies are stacked in the courtyard as if prepared for a long siege.
18:31 <Skid_GMing>: Commander Ursa is there to meet you.
18:31 <Gareth>: I give Ursa one of the letters. "You need to see this."
18:31 <Skid_GMing>: He takes it, scanning the lines quickly.
18:32 <Skid_GMing>: His face turns red with anger.
18:32 <Skid_GMing>: "I suspected, but... it's unthinkable."
18:33 <Olwen>: "It looks like you already had news of the attack."
18:33 <Skid_GMing>: "There's a force marching on us from the North. Barbarians. They've camped just over the horizon."
18:34 <Skid_GMing>: "We had nothing but scout's reports."
18:34 <Gareth>: I also provide the intel from interrogations.
18:35 <Skid_GMing>: Ursa mulls this information over.
18:36 <Gareth>: "It seems to be a formidable force."
18:36 <Skid_GMing>: "I believe we need the archivist's input on this."
18:37 <Skid_GMing>: "I do not know what the accusation of assassination weapons means. Do you have any theories?"
18:38 <Gareth>: To us or the archivist?
18:38 <Skid_GMing>: To you.
18:38 <Skid_GMing>: He sends a runner to bring the archivist while you speak.
18:38 <Leviticus>: "Perhaps that firearm we collected?" I pipe in
18:39 <Skid_GMing>: "Possible, but unlikely. We own several artifacts more formidiable. Is it the dragon, perhaps?"
18:40 <Gareth>: "That was all I could think of, but it's an odd description."
18:40 <Leviticus>: "If the Emporer is indeed a dragon... A dragon is the only thing that can kill a dragon"
18:40 <Gareth>: ...
18:41 <Gareth>: *mindblown*
18:41 <Gareth>: I never would have gotten there, well done Levi!
18:41 <Leviticus>: Your sarcasm is heartening, Gareth
18:41 <Gareth>: That was bookworm, and sincerity
18:41 <Leviticus>: Wait, it was?
18:41 <Leviticus>: I thought it was a rather obvious conclusion
18:41 <Gareth>: It is, now; but I was nowhere near that train of thought
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: "The emperor is not a dragon. Was not."
18:42 <Skid_GMing>: "I can't... discount an imposter, given the recent events."
18:43 <Skid_GMing>: The archivist arrives, breathless, and reads the letter.
18:45 <Skid_GMing>: "How sure can we be of this?" he asks. "This is treason we speak of, if we are wrong."
18:45 <Gareth>: Do I know what kind of person the cat lady was?
18:45 <Gareth>: Species I mean
18:46 <Skid_GMing>: Shapeshifter?
18:46 <Gareth>: Oh she was just a cat to climb the trees!
18:46 <Gareth>: Duh
18:47 <Gareth>: "The one Olwen questioned echoed this information. But, she *was* talking to save her skin..."
18:47 <Skid_GMing>: "We need more information. If they say this force is being led by a personal friend of the emperor, we need to know what kind of friends he's keeping now." Ursa says.
18:48 <Skid_GMing>: "He doesn't seem to be keeping many, and given the state in the capital, half the old ones are dead."
18:54 <Olwen>: "So what's the plan?"
18:57 <Skid_GMing>: "Infiltrate the enemy camp by some means. Guise or darkness, it doesn't matter. Find out what the enemy is planning. They haven't brought enough men for a proper siege, so they must have some other plan."
18:59 <Olwen>: Right.
18:59 <Skid_GMing>: "Second, find the identity of their commander and force him to reveal his capabilties."
18:59 <Olwen>: "You want us to fight him?"
19:00 <Skid_GMing>: "Only if you must."
19:01 <Olwen>: "So our goal is to enter the camp, get the information, and leave without being detected."
19:02 <Skid_GMing>: "If he has the immortality of a dragon, then he may also be protected by a dragon's magic and the supreme shapeshifting ability."
19:03 <Olwen>: "So how do we tell?"
19:07 <Skid_GMing>: "You need the blood of a shapeshifter." The archivist chimes in.
19:07 <Olwen>: "Where do we get that?"
19:08 <Skid_GMing>: "Your dragon isn't yet hatched, so we do not have the pure dragon's venom. But any shapeshifter has enough dragon in their veins to disrupt a dragon's disguised form on contact."
19:08 <Gareth>: "How much? All of it?"
19:09 <Skid_GMing>: "No. Just a sample would do."
19:09 <Gareth>: "Well it's fortunate we know one."
19:09 <Olwen>: "Does the Ember patrol have any shapeshifters?"
19:10 <Skid_GMing>: "We have more than a few."
19:10 <Gareth>: We have one on our own team
19:10 <Olwen>: Oh?
19:11 <Skid_GMing>: You're a shapeshifter, given your recent ability purchase...
19:11 <Olwen>: Really? That counts?
19:11 <Gareth>: I meant Ezra actually
19:11 <Skid_GMing>: Him too.
19:11 <Olwen>: I guess that makes things easier.
19:14 <Skid_GMing>: "History has never known two dragons to exist in peace. Sharing their powers is either an act of desperation or a ruse."
19:16 <Olwen>: "So what exactly do we do with shapeshifter blood? Throw it at them?"
19:18 <Skid_GMing>: "Poison a weapon with it, or stick it in their food. Dousing them with it might work, but is hardly subtle."
19:18 <Olwen>: "Got it. When should we leave?"
19:19 <Skid_GMing>: "I believe there is time for you to get a night's rest, and formulate a plan of attack." Ursa says.
19:20 <Olwen>: "Alright, then."
19:21 <Skid_GMing>: "I have some items which you might find helpful in your attack."
19:22 <Skid_GMing>: The archivist says, producing a small array of items.
19:22 <Olwen>: "Really? What are they?"
19:23 <Skid_GMing>: "You may remember this one from your venture into the chaos temple:"
19:23 <Skid_GMing>: Invisibility Cartridge (1 day recharge, 4 intellect recharge, 10 minutes of invisiblity, mutates) - When activated by touch, grants the wielder 10 minutes of visible-spectrum invisibility. Making an action other than moving disrupts the invisibility for 1 full turn. Random temporary cosmetic mutations likely.
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: "The magical signature would be a giveway for purely stealthy operations, but this may help with that."
19:24 <Skid_GMing>: Magic Jammer (1 day recharge, 4 int recharge, use: Jam Magic Sensors, 500 ft range) - Activating this device unleashes an undirected wave of entropy magic that overwhelms all magical sensory systems within 500 ft for up to an hour. Observers will know that something is definitely wrong, but will be unable to detect magic or detect things through magical means.
19:24 <Olwen>: Ooh.
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: "And we've taken some donations on the shapeshifter front, so no need to take anything from your own veins."
19:26 <Skid_GMing>: 3 Vials Of Shapeshifter Blood (Consumable, can be applied to a weapon) - This blood was taken from a shapeshifter. It's a mild toxin to dragons, disrupting their finer magical abilities.
19:27 <Olwen>: Good.
19:27 <Gareth>: Excellent
19:28 <Gareth>: Do we get all of this? Or need to choose
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: You get it.
19:28 <Gareth>: What about the gauntlets?
19:28 <Skid_GMing>: "The situation is deperate. You may keep any assets you think will increase your chances."
19:32 <Gareth>: "So are we confronting this leader, or just observing him?"
19:34 <Skid_GMing>: "I leave that to your discretion. If he seems vulnerable and is clearly a malicious agent, by all means, eliminate him. However, if he is a dragon, or has the dragon's powers, escape and return here."
19:35 <Gareth>: "Very good."
19:35 <Skid_GMing>: "We will buy time until our dragon hatches, harvest the dragon's venom, and then launch a final attack."
19:35 <Gareth>: "What of the beast tamers?"
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: "They're a secondary threat at this point."
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: "I'll have other agents deal with them, if you three can handle this mission."
19:37 <Leviticus>: I have to go
19:37 <Leviticus>: This seems like a good spot to break, yes?
19:37 <Skid_GMing>: Yeah, this seems good.
19:38 <Gareth>: Was Ursa appreciative of the information we got from Marl by the way?
19:38 <Skid_GMing>: Yes.
19:38 <Gareth>: Good
19:39 <Skid_GMing>: Okay, we'll break here. 2 XP each for sittiing through the briefing.
19:39 <Olwen>: :D
19:39 <Gareth>: I'm nervous!

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:03 pm 
Catspaw knows all
User avatar
...

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Posts: 800

Cash: 7.94
Bank: 179.68
Oh, dear. I forgot about this. I give mine to bookworm for helping come up with a plan.

_________________
Image


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:04 pm 
ToO Historian
ToO Historian
User avatar


Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Posts: 14178
Age: 27
Gender: Male

Cash: 641.50
Bank: 55,109.36
Excerpt from the journal of Gareth Trevelyan
Upon returning to Ursa we learned the situation with the mercenary that had murdered one of our brothers had escalated. Growing bold from the perceived lack of response, his group had taken control of the city of Apex and set up operations in the castle. We had to find a way to free the city from occupation, and be sure to avenge our fallen member.

We were provided with a group of soldiers to call in when needed, but the mercenaries far outnumbered them so we needed to scout out the state of the city and form a plan first. We thought a divide and conquer strategy would be our best chance so we began to observe how the mercenaries were arranged in the city and what their dealings with the people were like. It seemed they were an unwelcome presence, but tolerated out of fear. We may be able to convince some of the citizens to rally against the occupation with us. We would need to convince them of our own trustworthiness first though.

A group of mercenaries at a tavern began harassing a young girl and Olwen went to her defense, drawing a confrontation. They demanded she shoot a basket of bread off the girl's head, which fortunately our skilled archer could easily do. Levi asked me if he should pose as a recruit and attempt to gather intel from the inside. I was wary, but agreed it may be the best way to see the workings of the group and make our plan of attack.

_________________
Image
Sig by snubs


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
 Post Post subject: Re: Ember Patrol: Death by Desert
Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:26 pm 
I'll catch up to Bren!
User avatar
The man that stops the monsters

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Posts: 5103
Age: 101

Cash: 2,131.08
Bank: 3.96
Blog: View Blog (25)
I give my XP to bookworm for confirming the dragoniness of the commander.

_________________
Photobucket was evil and made third-party display a premium feature. Then they increased the size and obnoxiousness of the placeholder advertisement encouraging me to upgrade. Thus, this text signature.


Top
  Offline Profile E-mail  
      
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
The site is in no way affiliated with Focus on the Family. "Adventures in Odyssey" is the registered trademark of Focus on the Family.