AIO Writing Contest

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

AIO Writing Contest

Post by Trent DeWhite »

"The Visitor"

Cloaked in a brown overcoat, the young man walked along the side of the road. As the rain fell on his wide-brimmed hat, the man glanced up at the dark sky. Clouds filled the expanse as rain continued to steadily fall onto the welcoming countryside. Although he knew his visit would be unexpected, the young man also understood the signifiance of his visit. He desperately needed to see Mr. Riley. To do otherwise would be to deny the farmer of something he deserved to know.

"I hope I'm doing the right thing," the young man said to himself.

As he approached the farm, he noticed a sign with the words, "The Timothy Center," inscribed into the wooden post. The young man raised a furrowed brow at the sign. He turned his face away and noticed the a tall building standing yonder, to the east of a small, quaint edifice, presumably Tom Riley's house. The young man headed toward the house.

With each step the young man took, he felt his pulse quicken. He stepped onto the porch and studied the door briefly before taking a deep breath. The visitor removed his hat and gave a sturdy knock on the door . . .

[to be continued]

-----

Who is this mysterious young man? What is he doing in Odyssey and why does he need to see Mr. Riley? It's up to YOU to write the dramatic conclusion!

Here's what YOU need to do:

1. Let me know if you are interested by posting here.
2. Write the conclusion to "The Visitor."
3. Private message your story to me. Be sure to proofread it before submitting!

Details:

1. Entry fee is $30.
2. All entries must be submitted by June 1st.
3. The conclusion must be original and must not exceed 5000 words.
4. Winner receives 50% of entry fees collected, unless I receive 10+ entries.
5. In the event that more than 10 entries are submitted, the winner will receive 40% of entry fees collected, and the runner-up will receive 10%.
6. Prize winnings are subject to change, but don't worry--the winner will receive a minimum of 30%.

EDIT: Considering all the time and effort you guy will undoubtedly be putting into writing the ending, I've decided to throw in $100 into the proverbial pot. In addition to the 40% or 50% earned from the entry fees, the winner will also receive the added $100. :D

-----

I've given you all approximately two months to write your conclusions, so don't rush. Entries will judged on originality, creativity, and grammar/spelling. So what are you waiting for?? Get your creative thinking cap on and start writing! I look forward to reading your masterpieces. ;)

I will be periodically updating this thread, so remember to check back every so often!

. . . and that's all, folks! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :D
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Sat May 07, 2005 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Interesting....
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

I hadn't seen this topic before, for some strange reason... O_o

Anyway, I shall participate.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Indeed, there are so many threads in the ToO, it's easy to miss a few. I shall eagerly await your composition, Elf!

Any other takers? \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I will almost for sure write a story. I like the beginning that you wrote, Trent, because it leaves so many possibilities open!
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I might as well. Since there's a long time intill the entry date I can wait into I'm done with ToO Apprentice.
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I'll enter the contest.........if I have time to sit still long enough to write something.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Awesome, three more applicants. \:D/

Like I said before, take your time. No need to be hasty, as Treebeard would say. :D

. . . if anyone else would like to take a stab at writing the conclusion, let me know!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I, good sir, will attempt to write a conclusion. Count me in!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

We currently have three who have confirmed their interest in writing the conclusion.

-Catspaw
-Elf of Rivendell
-Dr. Watson

Gimp and Bmuntz have also expressed interesting in participating, but have not yet confirmed. If anyone else would like to write, please post here! See all details above. :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
CapJaneway
OK

Post by CapJaneway »

i think i would... do we pm the conclusition to u?

nvm i just read that.. im deffantly in.. one question though, do u want the complete story to be no more that 5000 wrods or just our endings?
hello to everyone! it is I Arem852003 from the TH!http://usera.imagecave.com/Turmacrolly/4capjaneway.gif
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

CapJaneway wrote:i think i would... do we pm the conclusition to u?

nvm i just read that.. im deffantly in.. one question though, do u want the complete story to be no more that 5000 wrods or just our endings?
Yes, you would private message the conclusion to me. Your conclusion should be no more than 5000 words . . . do not include my intro. :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
CapJaneway
OK

Post by CapJaneway »

ok i got it!!!!
hello to everyone! it is I Arem852003 from the TH!http://usera.imagecave.com/Turmacrolly/4capjaneway.gif
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Only two more weeks until the deadline. If you have already expressed interest in writing and need more time, please let me know ASAP.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I'll do it. I already have about 500 words written, and I think I know how I want to finish it. I just hope I can have it finished by June 1st.

EDIT: I donated my entrance fee to you, Trent.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Trent, will you post all the submissions? I would really like to read them. Thanks.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

AIOfan11 wrote:Trent, will you post all the submissions? I would really like to read them. Thanks.
I'm currently considering doing that. :)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That would be cool! It would be nice to read all the stories, not just the winner, since I'm sure that there will be several really good ones.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

Question: Does our submission have to be 5000 words, or can it be shorter? Because I'm not sure I have the time to make it that long without rambling and making it slow.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Rachael wrote:Question: Does our submission have to be 5000 words, or can it be shorter? Because I'm not sure I have the time to make it that long without rambling and making it slow.
As posted above, "The conclusion must be original and must not exceed 5000 words." :)