AIO Writing Contest: Story Discussion

Discuss the stories here!

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I finally voted for one of them, but I won't say which one. :noway: I liked all of them. :)
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Results shall be revealed in a mere 9 hours, 17 minutes. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

HOORAY!! I had thought it was going to run for another 4 days! :-$
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Less than an hour left, folks! Vote for your favorite if you haven't already!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I can't wait. :mad:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Ooh. All I can say is, all three writers need to write more fanfiction! And post it! Now!

. . . pretty please? :)
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

In total agreement with Joni Slade. Fan fiction is never perfect but I still love reading most of it. \:D/
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Yeah--it's so cool to play around with a town and characters we all know so well. People might get some minor facts wrong, and everyone has a different interpretation of what the characters will do, but it's still enjoyable to read.

Like, I really liked the third story, even though Richard Maxwell is not dead in canon (umm, that being genuine AIO shows and books and whatnot). Not dead, I say!! (I say it very loudly. Because, the shows also haven't proven that he's alive.)

Either way, fan fiction is the only way we're able to hear from him these days.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I had no idea that Richard Maxwell was so popular among so many fans until I found these Odyssey websites online. :lol:

It is neat seeing the different perspective that comes with the various fanfictions. :)
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Chandler wrote:I had no idea that Richard Maxwell was so popular among so many fans until I found these Odyssey websites online.
Is he? People don't usually list him as one of their favorite characters. He does seem to turn up in fan fiction disproportionately, but that's probably because he's so versatile a character (as he's open to interpretation).
Chandler wrote:It is neat seeing the different perspective that comes with the various fanfictions.
Absolutely!

I just noticed this post:
Monica Stone wrote:Richard Maxwell dead--that's a good idea to have on Odyssey.
Umm, no. No, it isn't. Unless they want me to boycott in tears.
Monica Stone wrote:I enjoyed that to the whole--"Richard Maxwell is back to save the day".

You have a point here. He's already saved the day in dramatic and unforgettable fashion--on the show. But would he really keep taking such risks now that he has by all accounts achieved his goal? Blackgaard is gone and Tom forgave him. He most surely is still seeking redemption of a sort (trying to fill the God-shaped hole), but he's not likely to continue in the heroism trade to get it done--he's tried that; he knows that's not the cure.

I also can't see him working for the government. There's no way the CIA would overlook his record. He'd have a hard enough time finding anyone who'd employ him.

Have we ever seen him work well with others? Or work at all with others? Oh, he tried to work with Tom and co., but in the end he had to take matters into his own hands to get anything done. We've seen him make deals with people to further mutual goals (Whit in WitWC and Rodney in Another Chance), but I can't see him working under someone else's orders (since Blackgaard) or see him regard anyone else as reliable or trustworthy enough to work with consistantly. I see him avoiding the government as much as is legally possible.

But like I said, he's open to interpretation. Who knows, maybe he's utterly complacent and not searching for redemption at all, and working with a team of government officials. (Though I'd argue that it would all be hugely out of character for him.)

Hmm. Did I just reveal a whole new level of geekage? (And is it better or worse that I could go on like this about a number of fictional characters?)