AIO Writing Contest: Story Discussion

Discuss the stories here!

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

AIO Writing Contest: Story Discussion

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Have you read the three conclusions to "The Visitor" yet? If not, click here to read the three different submissions. Then vote for the one which you think is best!

...or perhaps you've already read the conclusions and would like to share your comments or give some constructive criticsm? Voice them here! Do not feel any obligation to reveal which one you voted for... but feel free to share your thoughts and opinions! :D
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I think you mean the three different submissions.. :-$
...I hate marquees.
Nick Riley
insert dash here

Post by Nick Riley »

finally you actually started it
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

It probably took the writers awhile to come up with those conclusions, Nick.

Good job, anonymous three! =D>
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Heh, like Dr. Watson said, it probably took the writers a decent amount of time to complete their entries.

At any rate, I enjoyed reading them all. Excellent pieces of fiction! :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I liked all three of them. Number two was nice because it avoided Richard Maxwell, which is quite amazing, since the intro set up a possible Maxwell connection so nicely! ;) They were all enjoyable and well written.

I'm not going to say who I voted for, though! O:)
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Fantastic fiction! I am once again appreciative of the God-given talent of the elegant construction of prose. All three are certainly deserving. =D>
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Catspaw wrote:I liked all three of them. Number two was nice because it avoided Richard Maxwell, which is quite amazing, since the intro set up a possible Maxwell connection so nicely! ;) They were all enjoyable and well written.
That's exactly what I was thinking. ;)

They are all well-written so I'll have to read over them again before I can decide who to vote for! :-$
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I rather liked the first one ;-) Mostly because it had Dr. Blackgaard and Richard Maxwell in it. I can't wait to see who won!
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I'll bet that Trent got a whole lot of money for posting all that text. \:D/
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

If you consider $70 a lot of money, I suppose I did. :shrugs:
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Wow! That is a hard decision!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

There's a mistake in one of the stories, I think. Isn't Dr. Morton Isaac's mother, making her a female, not a male, as story one indicates? :-s
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Catspaw wrote:There's a mistake in one of the stories, I think. Isn't Dr. Morton Isaac's mother, making her a female, not a male, as story one indicates? :-s
Ooh, that's true. See the following discrepancy.
Entry 1 wrote:"Hello, Gregory," The doctor reviewed his chart. "I'm Dr. Morton. Do you remember anything about what happened to you?"
Entry 1 wrote:Dr. Morton shook her head. "I just don't understand it. All three of them seem to have some sort of amnesia."
Hey, everyone makes mistakes. :shrugs:
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

*EB wishes he had time to be involved with awesome stuff like this.* :(
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Eugene Blackgaard wrote:*EB wishes he had time to be involved with awesome stuff like this.* :(
You can... simply vote! ;)
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Entry 1 wrote:"Hello, Gregory," The doctor reviewed his chart. "I'm Dr. Morton. Do you remember anything about what happened to you?"
Maybe the doctor was reviewing *Greg's* chart? :shrugs:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Oh, that makes sense! I didn't read it that way at first, but now that you say it, that would work. Thnaks for solving the mysery, Chandler! \:D/
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Chandler wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:
Maybe the doctor was reviewing *Greg's* chart? :shrugs:
Loll. True.

Well, let me first give my takes:

The First Story sure kept you interested; however alot was missed out. Such as, why the heck isn't Doctor Blackgaard dead? The whole Gregory/Maxwell thing couldv'e been evolved a lot better. Having them wake out at the end on the side of the road has been done already. Maxwell's top secret information couldv'e been at the very beggining. He said it himself; it was destroyed, so why couldn't he have said it sooner? He wouldv'e saved a lot of trouble. Obviously theres nothing to hide if it doesn't exist. Lastly, would Tom really appear with a shotgun. I don't recall any goodguys on the show using guns as weapons. And the text felt as if the writer got a little lazy near the end.

The 2nd story didn't make much sence either. Why did the boy ask a lot of questions about religion? At one point, he sounds like he's trained to kill. It's implanted in his mind. But then he's having a conversation like a normal dude with Mr. Riley. The scenes with the guys chanting never really was explained (though, kudos on leaving something for us to guess). Having Rah as the God is kindv'e...Egyptien; which I found a little Amusing, but taking away from the story. Sedgewick is not a very common name. The chances of having two Sedgewick in some sort of law-inforcement in kindv'e strange in one town. If the writer meant it to be the Sedgewick from 'Red Herring', then it's something I need to mention upon, because that Sedgewick is trained for detecting hackers. I've written many stories like this so I kinda got ''been there, done that'' type of attitude. However, I did enjoy the whole, ''Connie on-looking and seeing what's happening and that completes the scene between Austin and Tom with the gun thing''...if that makes sence.

The third Text: A private investigator? Why would you need one of those? Which private citizen was he investigating for; the dead Richard? Man, he's not getting paid, is he? Maybe the writer was searching for another word. The story spent so much time on that guy, that it wasn't even the focus of the story. What was up with him being hungry? He sounded as though he wasn't well off or something.
However, the conversation at the beggining was refreshing, and the ending was quite interesting. Richard Maxwell dead--that's a good idea to have on Odyssey. I enjoyed that to the whole--"Richard Maxwell is back to save the day".

Though, honestly, all three were good. Don't let my mean comments put you down. They grabbed your attention and kept you interested--each and every one of them.
Though, as much as I like the Violence, Suspense, and Supernatural Occurences; I'm gonna have to go with Number Three. Good job, whoever you are!

BC
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Wow, they were all really good. I narrowed it down to two of them, and was then forced to make a very difficult decision. Make it I did, and I voted for one of the three. I'm not saying which one yet. Suffice it to say that I enjoyed them all.