Boggle!

The Word Search Game!

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Boggle!

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Yes, folks... it's here! It's the 3-minute word search game. Minus the 3 minutes. Now you get 24 hours! \:D/

Gameplay

1. Players will search through an assortment of letters (see example) for words of 3 or more letters. Words are formed from letters that adjoin horizontally, vertically, or diagonally to the left, right or up-and-down. However, no letter may be used more than once within a single word.

2. Any word (noun, verb, adjective, adverb, etc.), plural of, form of, or tense is acceptable as long as it can be found in dictionary.com. Proper nouns (John, Ohio, France, etc.) are not allowed. Words within words are also permissible: spare, spa, par, are, spar, pare.

3. I will post the puzzle at a specified time. Contestants will have 24 hours to find as many words as they can. They must private message within the 24 hours of the posting of the puzzle.

4. Once the allotted time has run out, I will post everyone’s list. However, I will only include words that are unique to any given person’s list. Thus, any word that appears on more than one player’s list will be crossed off all lists—and no one will get credit for it.

5. Players will receive points for their remaining words as follows:

3 letters – 1 point
4 letters – 1 point
5 letters – 2 points
6 letters – 3 points
7 letters – 5 points
8 or more – 11 points

6. I will tally the points and post standings after each round.

Details

1. Entry fee is $75.

2. The game will consist of 5 rounds.

3. Whoever earns the most points after all the rounds will be declared the winner and will receive $150. All other participants will receive consolation cash prizes (based on the amount of points they earn during the game).

4. If you'd like to join, post here. Application deadline is Monday, June 20 at 8PM Eastern.
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

i'd love to join!!
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I'll play. (Good contest idea, Trent.)
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

:sniff:
I REALLY want to play but this is an awful time for me! :mecry:

*runs out of the thread wailing* :(
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I'd like to join!!
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Excellent!

We presently have dancer02248 and Laura Ingalls signed up. If anyone else would like to join, let me know! Make sure you have your entry fee sent to me before the Monday (8PM Eastern) deadline. :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
popcornqu33n
Gold Member
Location: Outside drinking a cool glass of pepermint lemonade

Post by popcornqu33n »

I would join but 75 dollars thats alot and only to gain a little thats like lottery but soumds like a fun game
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Like the Lottery? I'd think this game would be a lot more fun than random chance. :sniff:

Most contests only have one or two winners... thus, the other participants generally get no compensation for their entry fee. In this game, everyone will get a cash prize of some sort (plus, they'll be earning a portion of their entry fee back by simply posting here). I admit that $75 may be a high price for some, but most people can afford that nowadays.

Regardless, there's no obligation for you to join. :)

But feel free to watch. You may want to join after seeing how it all plays out. I plan on starting another game in mid July.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

I'll try! \:D/
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I'm in *sends entry fee*
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

This definitely sounds like fun. I'll join. Good call, Trent!
Country Girl
Classic

Post by Country Girl »

why not?
count me in....
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

I'd love to join, but i don't have that kind of money. Sry!
*returns*
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I sent you a PM, jesusfreak. :)

Thus far, our list of players include:

-dancer02248 (paid)
-Laura Ingalls (paid)
-Simbelmyne34 (paid)
-Me (paid)
-David O (paid)
-Country Girl

Just under 28 hours until the deadline for all applications and entry fees.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

How many days is the contest going to run and what day does it start? :-k
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Chandler wrote:How many days is the contest going to run and what day does it start? :-k
It will run from June 21 through June 30. Because you will be given a 24-hour limit to submit your word list, it will take ten days to finish all five rounds. However, I am willing to send partipants the puzzles in advance if they will be away during the latter part of the contest. :)
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Chandler wrote:How many days is the contest going to run and what day does it start? :-k
It will run from June 21 through June 30. Because you will be given a 24-hour limit to submit your word list, it will take ten days to finish all five rounds. However, I am willing to send partipants the puzzles in advance if they will be away during the latter part of the contest. :)
Oooh, that is very tempting. =P~
How exactly does that work? :-k
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Chandler wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:
Oooh, that is very tempting. =P~
How exactly does that work? :-k
Essentially, I will send the five puzzles to those individuals who will be away. Depending on how many puzzles I give them in advance, the deadline will vary.
Kat
slow thinking occurs
slow thinking occurs

Post by Kat »

what if you don't get on the computer befor the 24 hours is up?

Thanx,
Kayla
*returns*
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

You will have to let me know when and if you'll be offline because I will have no way of knowing otherwise. :shrugs:

Further details will be provided after the deadline.

If you have not already applied and would like to play, post here ASAP. :)