Do Hard Things -- Discussion, Week 1

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Do Hard Things -- Discussion, Week 1

Post by The Kings Daughter »

This week we are reading chapters 1-4, and here's where we can discuss it.

Just post things that stood out to you, make you think deeper, and gave you ideas. (I'll post my thoughts later when I have time.)

(People who want to join in are welcome to still do so.)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Give me some time to go read it! \:D/
*insert provocative quote here*
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

*gives her time to go read it* \:D/

Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

I've read the fist three chapters. \:D/
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I've read the whole thing \:D/

Till the end of the line.
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

Now I've read the 7th chapter. 8-)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I read the first two chapters! It's really challenging me...
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I love the part that says "Making our beds (and other feats of valor)."
American Eagle wrote:It's really challenging me...
Ya, me as well.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

ric wrote:I love the part that says "Making our beds (and other feats of valor)."
I laughed out loud at that one. :)

It's been a busy week and that's why I haven't posted my thoughts on the chapter, hopefully I can do that today or tomorrow. :yes:

ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Okay. Don't have fall break?
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Nope. :(

A few sentences that stood out to me in Chapter 1 were:

"We're not plotting to make you life miserable. We're not recommending that you do any and every difficult thing. For example, we're not telling you to rob a bank, jump off a cliff, climb Half Dome with your bare hands, or stand on your head for twenty-four hours straight. We are not telling you to do pointless (or stupid) hard things just because they're hard. And if you're a Christian, we're certainly not telling you that if you work harder or make yourself uncomfortable on purpose, God will love you more. He will never--could never--love you any more than He does right now. So that's what we're not doing. What we are doing is challenging you to grab hold of a more exciting option for your teen years than the one portrayed as normal in society today."

My thoughts: Doing hard things is a great opportunity you and others will benefit from. It's not a duty that 'all good Christian teenagers should do'.

Also I've been reading though The Kingdom Series by Chuck Black, to be more specific I'm currently reading Kingdom's Edge. Read this quote from the beginning of chapter 3:

"Life was hard. Life was good. Most folks think this a contradiction, but I have learned that the hardest, most difficult times of my life caused the most growth in my character. At the very least, those hard times prepared me for a better future."

It is very true and it seems to be the point Alex and Brett Harris want the readers of Do Hard Things to understand.

In chapter 2 several things stood out to me as well:

Read this quote by Alex and Brett: "The teen years are not a vacation from responsibility, the are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."
and
"It's (The Rebelution) ordinary people who decide to step out and be part of something big. That's when they become extraordinary."

My thoughts: The above statement says that it's ordinary people (us!) who can become something extraordinary. And by extraordinary, that doesn't mean famous or widely known or 'a good Christian'. I think it means being available and setting out to serve God with our entire lives. It's important to realize that whether you are know around the world for doing huge hard things, or just know to be a loving and caring person by the people around you by the small hard things you do, God can and will use you if you let Him.

I was also inspiring by the story of Hedi Bentley. I am sort of like her, so I find her story very encouraging. Reading her statement about how she felt after she had stepped out of her comfort zone that time is just a blessing to me:

"It's amazing what we can do if we will trust in God enough to step out of our comfort zones!"

Two other statements by Alex and Brett that stood out: "Even failed effort produces muscle."
and
"What God has done since the summer of 2005 has been incredible. We're just blessed to be along for the ride. Sure we came up with a name for it, but the Rebelution is something God is doing in the hearts of our generation, not something we engineered. That's why the purpose of this book is not to brag about anything we've done, but to talk about something huge that God is doing in the lives of young people around the world--something he wants to do in your live as well."

Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

Those are very good 'stand-outs'.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Yes, nice thoughts. :)