Football Pool III

Ran by SWA until Ryder takes over.

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Football Pool III

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Since the 1st NFL game is under a week away I'll start the pool and if Ryder comes back he can run it.

Same rules, and please pay $5 for each week. Good luck all!

Rules:
Q: What do I do in a football pool?

A: You give ToO dollars to win more ToO dollars.

Q: How much is the entry fee?

A: A mere $5!

Q: Who holds the money?

A: Me, I hold all of the prize money and then give it to the winner when he/she wins. (Or I get to keep it if I win :p!)

Q: Okay, so how do I play?

A: You look at the games for the upcoming week and say who you think is going to win. The person who gets the most games right wins all of the entry money. The best part of all of this is that you really don't even need to know anything about football; you just go to http://www.nfl.com or http://www.foxsports.com/nfl, look at the week's games, and guess who you think is going to win.

Q: What if two people tie?

A: Okay, if two people tie with Sunday night football then Monday night will be the tie breaker.

Q: There's only one game on Monday night, what if they both get it right again?

A: Monday night football isn't the same as Sunday night. The two people that are tied are going to have to guess the total combined score of the two teams, but without going over. Say one person guesses that the combined score will be 30, the other person guesses 20, and the real score is 25. Person 2 would automatically win because person 1 went over the real score. (Don't forget, after Sunday's games, to check to see whether or not you've tied so you can get your Monday Night Football Total Combined Score (MNF TCS) in right away. Your score needs to be in before kickoff of Monday's game.) If I am one of the tying contestants, our MNF TCS will be sent to Iron and Light, and in the event that Iron and Light has tied with me, our MNF TCS will be sent to Top (at least that's how we did it last year.) This did not, however, happen very often.

Q: What if they both want to guess the same number?

A: Well, it's first come, first serve. The other person will have to guess another number.
Here's the list for week 1!

Thursday
NO @ GB

Sunday
PIT @ BAL
CIN @ CLE
IND @ HOU
TEN @ JAC
BUF @ KC
ATL @ CHI
DET @ TB
PHI @ STL
NYG @ WAS
CAR @ ARI
SEA @ SF
MIN @ SD
DAL @ NYJ

Monday
NE @ MIA
OAK @ DEN
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

So do I just pay you $85 now for the entire season. Or five a week?

PICKS: (I will pay you $5 and then get clarification.)
Thursday
NO @ GB

Sunday
PIT @ BAL
CIN @ CLE
IND @ HOU
TEN @ JAC
BUF @ KC
ATL @ CHI
DET @ TB
PHI @ STL
NYG @ WAS
CAR @ ARI
SEA @ SF
MIN @ SD
DAL @ NYJ

Monday
NE @ MIA
OAK @ DEN
(Pattern unintentional.)
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

5 dollars a week that way if you forget a week you don't pay for something you can't win.

Thursday
NO @ GB

Sunday
PIT @ BAL
CIN @ CLE
IND @ HOU
TEN @ JAC
BUF @ KC
ATL @ CHI
DET @ TB
PHI @ STL
NYG @ WAS
CAR @ ARI
SEA @ SF
MIN @ SD
DAL @ NYJ

Monday
NE @ MIA
OAK @ DEN
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Thanks SWA, I was going to do this too if Ryder didn’t get back. :)

Thursday:
NO @ GB
Sunday:
PIT @ BAL
CIN @ CLE

IND @ HOU
TEN @ JAC
BUF @ KC

ATL @ CHI
DET @ TB
PHI @ STL
NYG @ WAS
CAR @ ARI
SEA @ SF
MIN @ SD

DAL @ NYJ
Monday:
NE @ MIA
OAK @ DEN

Result: 7-9
Last edited by bookworm on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Huzzah for this epic game. \:D/

Thursday
NO @ GB

Sunday
PIT @ BAL
CIN @ CLE
IND @ HOU
TEN @ JAC
BUF @ KC
ATL @ CHI
DET @ TB
PHI @ STL
NYG @ WAS
CAR @ ARI
SEA @ SF
MIN @ SD
DAL @ NYJ

Monday
NE @ MIA
OAK @ DEN
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I would like to propose one change if I may, that the tie breaker be simplified to ‘Whoever guesses closest’ without any condition about going over. That is how my real life pool is, and I think it’s simpler and makes more sense.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

All of you are rooting for the very overrated Packers? Well that's just predictable.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Saints and Packers are both teams of mine. It was hard to choose, but I have to take the Packers at home coming off the Super Bowl.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Blech Packers. Do you want to know the total points difference in the 3 games between Bears Packers. +11 Packers. But no the Bears aren't even going to make the playoffs. They don't even have a shot in the division they won. *is done ranting about none of the experts giving the NFC North Champ Bears any credit*
Ryder
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Ryder »

HELLOOO TOOERS!!!! Yes, i am still alive, (like i always am once a year when football season comes around :p) which means this football pool will MOST CERTAINLY be going again! Aaand it looks like it'll even be going when i'm not here too \:D/. Sorry for not being here sooner, i'd been pretty busy and really hadn't even given it a thought till a few days ago. So yes, i would like to run it again if SWA's still cool with it. But for now i'll just put my picks in...

Thursday
NO @ GB

Sunday
PIT @ BAL
CIN @ CLE
IND @ HOU
TEN @ JAC
BUF @ KC
ATL @ CHI
DET @ TB
PHI @ STL
NYG @ WAS
CAR @ ARI
SEA @ SF
MIN @ SD
DAL @ NYJ

Monday
NE @ MIA
OAK @ DEN
Many thanks to her awesome Snubness for the super cool sig and avatar \:D/!
HEAR YE, HEAR YE! Our sixth football pool is now underway!!! Play it! PLAY IT NOW!!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Yay for Ryder's return. \:D/

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Ryder
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Ryder »

Thanks AE! It's nice to see everyone playing again, but i have one question... WHERE IS TOP?! He's played every year so far... he's still on the ToO right? That and i was thinking we should make a new thread for this, "Football Pool III". This is our THIRD annual football pool and people need to see that \:D/.
Last edited by Ryder on Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many thanks to her awesome Snubness for the super cool sig and avatar \:D/!
HEAR YE, HEAR YE! Our sixth football pool is now underway!!! Play it! PLAY IT NOW!!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I'm game. You just need to work it out with SWA.

Top posts every few days. One could probably entice him to play via PM. \:D/

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah I post less often but I am still ever present. \:D/

I PMed Ryder my Thursday pick a few minutes into last nights game... so I dunno if that counts or not. >_> But I suppose I will enter and do well enough to win regardless of that game if it isn't qualified! :x

Thursday
NO @ GB

Sunday
PIT @ BAL
CIN @ CLE
IND @ HOU
TEN @ JAC
BUF @ KC
ATL @ CHI
DET @ TB
PHI @ STL
NYG @ WAS
CAR @ ARI
SEA @ SF
MIN @ SD
DAL @ NYJ

Monday
NE @ MIA
OAK @ DEN
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Last night's game was classic. And since it came down to a play with zero seconds left, I think Tops should count.

BEAR DOWN!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher wrote:it came down to a play with zero seconds left
It actually came down to a blown call by the officials that had potentially game changing consequences. Not the best way to start the season.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

bookworm wrote:
Knight Fisher wrote:it came down to a play with zero seconds left
It actually came down to a blown call by the officials that had potentially game changing consequences. Not the best way to start the season.
What play?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

When the Packers downed that kick at the 1 and the ref said it was a touchback. Worst call I’ve seen in a long time. I hope that’s not a sign of how the rest of the season’s officiating will be.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

bookworm wrote:When the Packers downed that kick at the 1 and the ref said it was a touchback. Worst call I’ve seen in a long time. I hope that’s not a sign of how the rest of the season’s officiating will be.
Dude, that's nothing. Last year's "no-catch" by Calvin Johnson lost the game, and in truth, the season, for the Lions. Armando Galarraga completed a PERFECT game pitching, but had it swiped away from him by the referee. Two awful calls. :(

Let's hope Detroit's luck changes this year. \:D/ The Packers deserved to win the game. No big deal.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I said in a long time. I didn’t say this was worse than that call.
But this was certainly not “nothing” it made the game less than a second (literally) away from a different outcome.
All blown calls irritate me, but especially when they could change the whole game.