Clocks are really useful things

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I will not reveal the winner today. ;)
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

But you said one week from today :x
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

Jesus' Princess wrote:But you said one week from today :x
Wasn't that the deadline to submit an essay?

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jesus' Princess wrote:But you said one week from today :x
He said that was the deadline, not when the winner would be announced. ;)
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Can this count as my essay?

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Probably not, since I doubt you wrote it. It’s too late to submit anyway.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

It's been more than a week from the day :noway:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Clocks are not useful! They are a man made tool so that men know what time to tell woman to cook and clean! The first time a sundial was used was to time how long it took a woman to do a mans bidding so that he could accurately determine her punishment for doing it to slow.
I like this snubs fellow.
General nuisance extraordinaire.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Speaking of clocks, this one is ticking... Image
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Come on! We've been waiting for this for a loooong time. Just annnounce the winner!
he/him | a little stinker.
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

umm is the deadline gone :(
^AIOluver^

Who am I? I'd rather not answer that question, the real question is, "Who are you?". Right now I am trying to think of something witty to put here.. I might not find anything, but that's fine. This block of text should be fine for a signature. Wait, are you still reading this? Why are you reading this? Stop. Seriously.
STOP.
This sentence is true.
The sentence above is false.

I dare you not to read this.
Hey! I said not to read this.
Maybe if I talk like this.
Wait, you still see me? *sighs* I give up.

http://blackgaardscastle.forumotion.com/
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Why Clocks Are Useful

Clocks are useful for a variety of reasons. The most obvious is that they allow you to calculate the time. Before the days of clocks we had to judge time by the movement of the sun. That was all well and good if you knew what you were doing, but if you didn’t then you probably didn’t accomplish anything other than going blind by looking at the sun too long while trying to determine its placement in the sky.

Eventually people developed an early type of clock, the sundial. This was a great idea, because it used shadows from the sun’s light, not the sun itself, to mark the time. No more would people have to go blind to answer someone asking ‘Hey, do you have the time?’
However, sundials had an obvious problem. They only worked during the day. Without sunlight to cast a shadow, they didn’t tell you anything. Well, they told you it was night time, because there was no shadow mark, but that’s not very useful because you could probably tell that without a sundial just by looking around.

Finally, technology advanced to the point of being able to create self-sustaining clock devices. These could be used night or day, now you could always know the time quickly, and most of the time know it accurately.

Clock development didn’t stop there, it improved even more. At first clocks used Roman numerals to mark the time. This was fine at first, but eventually people started realizing that this didn’t make much sense. No one used Roman numerals except in some old books and to count the Superbowls. Why should they be on clocks people use every day? So, they switched to the more common Arabic numerals. Now reading a clock was almost as easy as could be. If you knew how to read the hands, you could know the time.

But it didn’t even stop there, another major improvement was made. As technology continued to advance, the size of clocks was able to be reduced. At first clocks were large pieces that needed a whole corner of a room to stand in. Eventually they got so small they could be hung on a wall, and then even smaller so they could be worn on your wrist. This was a great improvement in practicality, because before that if you wanted to know the time when out of the house you would have to carry your wall clock with you, which was rather bulky and uncomfortable. With a clock on your own wrist, you could know the time anywhere.

Next, yet another improvement was made in the way of usability. Portable clocks were great, but they still required that you learn how to read the hands. This could be a rather difficult task at first. But with the advancement of digital technology came the digital watch. Now there were no more hands. The clock display actually spelled out the time for you just as you would read it. This greatly improved the ease of telling time.

And finally, technology advanced to where the clock could actually literally tell you the time with a voice. Now getting the time was completely effortless. The clock calculated the time, tracked the time, and now told you the time.

In the first days of time telling, people wouldn’t have been able to even imagine how far the idea would advance. They had no idea one day we would be getting the time from the time calculating device, instead of going blind calculating it ourselves. It’s a remarkable advancement.

The development of clocks is a display of what kind of great improvements are possible when human ingenuity is put to the task of solving a problem in more and more efficient ways. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this process throughout the years, clocks are indeed very useful things.
was submitted by bookworm! \:D/

I probably can't find everybody's essays, so post your own. \:D/
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I wont. It's too embarrassing after Bookworm's. Congrats.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I wasn’t planning on writing a serious essay for this, but once I started I got on a roll. \:D/
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Whoa, mine was pretty much a joke... I'll post it if I can find it...
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Ha, bookworm that was epic! \:D/