Football Pool V

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Football Pool V

Post by bookworm »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

It’s approaching that time of year again, and I can’t wait! I am so excited to get back to football!

As always, Ryder will be running this pool once he shows up, I’m just getting the thread ready to provide plenty of time for those interested to prepare.

Like last season, there will be two separate competitions going on through the season.
There will be the regular Weekly Pool where you pay $5 to Ryder each week you play and we have a weekly winner. There will also be the Cumulative Pool run by me which has a one time fee of $10 and runs all season with one winner at the end. Rules and information for each follow:

The Weekly Pool:
Ryder (with some updates) wrote:Q: What do I do in a football pool?

A: You give ToO dollars to win more ToO dollars.

Q: How much is the entry fee?

A: A mere $5!

Q: Who holds the money?

A: Ryder holds all of the prize money and then gives it to the winner when he/she wins.

Q: Okay, so how do I play?

A: You look at the games for the upcoming week and say who you think is going to win. The person who gets the most games right wins all of the entry money. The best part of all of this is that you really don't even need to know anything about football; you just go to http://www.nfl.com or http://www.foxsports.com/nfl, look at the week's games, and guess who you think is going to win.

Q: What if two people tie?

A: Okay, if two people tie with Sunday night football then Monday night will be the tie breaker.

Q: There's only one game on Monday night, what if they both get it right again?

A: Monday night football isn't the same as Sunday night. The two people that are tied are going to have to guess the total combined score of the two teams. Don't forget, after Sunday's games, to check to see whether or not you've tied so you can pm your Monday Night Football Total Combined Score (MNF TCS) right away. Your score needs to be in before kickoff of Monday's game.

Q: What if they both end up guessing the same number?

A: Well, it's first come, first serve. The other person will have to guess another number.
The Cumulative Pool:
This contest is like a supplement to the weekly pool. Anyone that wants to get in pays a one time fee now and the person that has picked the most total wins at the end of the season wins the pot.
This way every week counts for something. If you’re just doing the weekly pool you either win or you lose, and if you lose there’s no compensation at all. This is very frustrating if you lose by only one or two games, or lose on the tie breaker. You got so close, but you don’t get anything to show for it.
If you’re in the cumulative pool, those close losses aren’t in vain. They will be added up at the end of the season for the total win contest.
If you want to participate in the Weekly Pool no notice is required, you can simply pay your fee and post your picks when we get started.

If you want to participate in the Cumulative Pool, you must announce your intention to play and submit your entry fee by season kickoff. You can’t enter after the season starts, and you can’t back out once you’ve entered.

You can participate in either or both of these contests, they are completely separate.

New to the Pool this year, thanks to a suggestion by AE, in addition to playing through this thread we will also have an online group for tracking our results. Note however that this is only an aid to the pool-runners and not definitive in any way. Ryder has the final say in his pool and I have the final say in mine. This is just so if one of us gets behind in tallying results (or Ryder disappears part way through again ;) ) we still have some indication of the standings. (Most notably, Ryder takes precedence over the site when it comes to the tie-breaker as our version is different than the one the site uses, so it may declare an incorrect winner.)

This is the site and this is our group. Password: thetoo
Register as soon as you can to make sure there are no problems joining.

Try to remember to make your picks both in this thread and on the site each week, but if you can only do one be sure you post them here. The picks in this thread will be the official record for both pools.

Let’s do this! \:D/
godisawesomeness99
Popsicle kid

Post by godisawesomeness99 »

I'll do both the weekly and cumulative..... but would I have to make two different lists?
Daniel- Seattle Pacific University '22
Music is how God speaks to me
I used to be here.... but now I'm probably not.... so yeah
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Only if you want your picks for each to be different for some reason.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Somehow I don't think Ryder is coming back. He was last on in December of 2012. I would join but I am not consistent enough to do this every week.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I'll sign up for the cumulative again. *sends in cash*
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
godisawesomeness99
Popsicle kid

Post by godisawesomeness99 »

Another question: What if ryder doesn't come back? :anxious:
Daniel- Seattle Pacific University '22
Music is how God speaks to me
I used to be here.... but now I'm probably not.... so yeah
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I'm psyched! This is a highlight of the autumn season. ;) I've joined the nflpickspage site, as well.
godisawesomeness99 wrote:Another question: What if ryder doesn't come back? :anxious:
Ehh, Ryder comes and goes when he pleases. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy shows up just in time. \:D/
Stop Wooton' Around wrote:I would join but I am not consistent enough to do this every week.
Dude, just play when you can. You'll probably be amazing at this and never miss a beat.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

godisawesomeness99 wrote:Another question: What if ryder doesn't come back? :anxious:
I'm sure he will be here, this is the purpose of his ToO account. ;) The question is, once he does come back, will he stay the whole season. :P
But if he doesn’t show up, then I will go ahead and assume the Weekly Pool duties, as I will be tallying scores for the Cumulative one anyway.
Stop Wooton' Around wrote:I would join but I am not consistent enough to do this every week.
Then you wouldn’t want to do the Cumulative Pool, but you should definitely do a few entries in the Weekly one. That one you can just play whenever you are able because each week is its own contest and missing some doesn’t hurt you one bit. :)
Skylerbuck
OK
Post by Skylerbuck »

I'll do both, I've signed up!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I demand a high stakes pool for those of us with superfluous amounts of cash! :x
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I also think the cumulative pool entry fee should be raised. $50 per person would be awesome.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I'm willing to start up a second cumulative pool at $50.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Psh, c'mon guys. $1,000 AT LEAST.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The fee will remain at $10, that is a reasonable balance between payout and chance of loss. The point of this is to compliment the Weekly Pool. It’s not so much about making ‘big money’ as it is to have a second chance here to cover close losses in the other.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I'm joining KFs pool! BIG MONEY! WIN OR GO HOME!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Seriously, bookworm, $10? A guy from 1946 called. He wants his pocket change back.

We all put a lot of time into the cumulative pool; each week takes diligence and there are 17 full weeks, plus playoffs! It is definitely worth more than a measly combined $60 at the end of the year.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

You put no more time into it than the Weekly One. :-s This one is actually as near effortless as you can get.
And clearly the payoff would depend on how many people enter.
$60 is more than enough for what this is. Once again, this is not a way to make mass money, it is a way to have a second chance at winning something if you continually get frustrated by close losses in the other pool.
I already have people paid, so we can't change the fee unless they all agree, but if they do I will consider raising it to $20.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

There's nothing wrong with two separate cumulative pools.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

No there is not, if you really need to make (or more likely lose) huge money on this.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Because $50 is SO MUCH MONEY? o_O;