The Abduction of the Otters

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
Moontide
No way I broke the window

The Abduction of the Otters

Post by Moontide »

Someone has been kidnapping the otters from the Bank of Otters. We must find who is doing this crime, before time runs out. This contest runs until 28 of July. The dead-line will be extended if I fail to make a kidnapping happen.

This game don't require any commitment on your part. Any level of participation will work, even if you only post once.
Summary of the Game
This game is kind of like Clue. It is all of you trying to figure out who suspect is. It is different in that all of you are on one team, and you are racing against time instead of against each other. Evidence is also released differently. The primary way of getting evidence is not running from room to room asking if this particular hypothesis is true. Instead evidence is given to players in private, and hidden in threads for players to find.

As the game progresses, the evidence will accumulate to exclude suspects until someone guesses who the kidnapper is, plus some other things. If you do this before the time run out, every one wins. If you fail to solve the mystery in time, everyone looses.
The Goal of the Game:
The goal of the game is for someone to identify the kidnapper, the tool the kidnapper holds, and the place of the last kidnapping before the time runs out. If someone does this, everyone wins. In other words this is a co-operative game.

Each person only has one chance to guess though. Use your guesses carefully.
Kidnapping:
About every 24 hours, a kidnapping happens.* This is called a cycle. The kidnapping happen at a post in a recent thread.** After a kidnapping of an otter happens, the post which is the crime scene will have evidence placed into it. A clue to the scene of the crime will be given in the thread announcing a new cycle. Some of the people who posted in that thread will receive a PM telling them what they witnessed. The Game Master will try to only make witnesses of the people who are playing in the game.
Evidence:
The evidence will suggest who is the criminal or who isn't the criminal. Unless the Game Master makes a mistake, every piece of evidence is true. Strangely, witnesses will not be told where they saw the thing.***
Suspects:
Suspects, just like in Clue, are completely fictional people. Each suspect can only do one evidence generating action each cycle. For example, if bob_124 gets a PM saying that that he saw suspect 12 snoozing at home, then bob_124 can know that suspect 12 is not the kidnapper. Suspect 12 couldn't both snooze at home and kidnap otters.

Each suspect hold one tool. It is not known what tool each suspect holds at the begining of the game, but will be discovered through evidence during the games.
Prizes:
Everyone who plays will receive $100.
The person correctly identifies the kidnapper wins an additional $500.
Three other people will be selected for active participation and will be awarded an additional $500.
Three more people will be selected for active participation, and will be awarded an additional $200.

(The Game Master will choose the winner of the active participation awards in consultation with the other admin )

*The exactly lengths vary depending on when the game master is available.
** At the time that I plant the evidence, it will always be the last page of the thread, and the thread will be a thread that appears on the first page of the forum.
*** This is to make hunting for the scene of the crime something.

List of suspects:
suspect 1 gender: male hair-colour: black height: tall age: young
suspect 2 gender: male hair-colour: brown height: short age: old
suspect 3 gender: male hair-colour: brown height: medium age: middle aged
suspect 4 gender: male hair-colour: brown height: medium age: middle aged
suspect 5 gender: male hair-colour: blond height: medium age: old
suspect 6 gender: male hair-colour: blond height: tall age: young
suspect 7 gender: male hair-colour: blond height: short age: young
suspect 8 gender: male hair-colour: black height: tall age: old
suspect 9 gender: female hair-colour: black height: medium age: old
suspect 10 gender: female hair-colour: blond height: tall age: old
suspect 11 gender: female hair-colour: black height: short age: young
suspect 12 gender: female hair-colour: black height: medium age: young
suspect 13 gender: female hair-colour: brown height: tall age: middle aged
suspect 14 gender: female hair-colour: brown height: short age: young
suspect 15 gender: female hair-colour: blond height: short age middle aged
suspect 16 gender: female hair-colour: black height: tall age: middle aged
List of tools:
Hammer, produces dents, light, metallic
Flamethrower, produces smoke, burns objects, metallic
Candle stick with candle, produces smoke, burns objects, metallic
Failed batch of cookies, produces smoke
Lead pipe, produces dents, heavy, metallic
Duct tape, leaves behind stickies, leaves behind duct tape, plastic
Glue, leave behind stickies, leaves behind objects glued together, plastic
Cell phone, plastic, produces radio waves.
Matches, burns objects, produces smoke, wooden.
Glow-stick, produces dents, produces light, plastic
Legos, hurts to step on, plastic
Thumbtacks, hurts to step on, plastic, metallic
Toy tool set, produces dents, plastic
Awl, produces holes, metallic
Pencil, wooden, produces holes, produces marks
Anvil, produces dents, is heavy, metallic

Differences from the platform version of this game:
The main differences from the version of this game that was on the platform are one, it is a co-operative game now, instead of a team game, and two, the tools can not longer be moved from suspect to suspect.

A section I don't know how to title
If every thing goes as planned I will plant the first evidence tomorrow on Monday. I will only make people witnesses if they post in this thread to keep from forcing people to play that don't want to play. You don't have to sign up to play, but can join in at any time. However, if you don't post in the thread, I will not make you a witness of anything.

This thread
This thread is for you, the players, to discuss and share the evidence that you witness. Because of the prize structure keeping all the thing that you witness to yourself is likely the wrong strategy. I will be reading this read. Thus if you have any questions, I will see your question here, and be able to answer it. You can also post here if you want to point out an error I made.

This post doesn't make any sense, you can say that too. :)
Pianoman
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Pianoman »

Oooh, this sounds like a fun game, Moontide! :D I'm willing to be a witness, and help be a "detective." ;)
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I'll play but I will leave Tuesday afternoon.
I am confused
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I was waiting for this to happen! \:D/ Though it sounds very complicated. :anxious:
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

Yayyy!!! This sounds like fun :yes: and I actually read everything \:D/
Moontide, you're very dedicated to type this all out =P
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

It should be easier to understand once we start. The perceived complexity is likely because of my lack of skills explaining the rules.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Sure, why not? I'll play!
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I was never able to fully figure out how to play clue, and I'm fuzzy on the specific procedure of this event, but I want to participate.
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

Is it like Mafia? Only the Mafia isn't one of the players. Right?
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

It is sorta like what you describe as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first kidnapping has happened. The crime happened on the last page (at the time of posting) of a thread that appears on the front page of a forum or sub-forum. Crime scenes are marked with this image:
Your clue for finding the crime scene is: Up, and Up, and Up, and Up.

Note, unlike mafia, witnesses can directly post the PMs they got into this thread.

Now what I am expecting for you to do is to go find the crime scene, for the witnesses to report what they saw, and for everyone to try to figure out who couldn't be the criminal based on the evidence.

Everyone of you also has a single chance to accuse a suspect of being the criminal (like in clue). You must say which suspect is the criminal, what tool they used, and where the last crime happened. If you accuse correctly, it means you personally can't accuse anyone else of being the criminal for the rest of the game. Your other team members can still accuse people. If you guess correct, everyone wins. However, there is so little evidence, so I wouldn't recommend accusing anyone.

If you do want to accuse someone, PM me something that looks kind of like this:
I accuse suspect 3 who was using a glow-stick, to kidnap otters in this thread: http://thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34509
In a real accusing PM, the link would point to the actual crime scene.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I have a question about the timetable. If we get evidence after the kidnappings, and those happen once a day, and the event lasts for nine days, is that going to produce enough drops to analyze sixteen suspects?
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I found the crime scene but what am I supposed to do know? I'm a bit foggy on that.
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Kidnapping 1:
Moontide wrote:Your clue for finding the crime scene is: Up, and Up, and Up, and Up.
Crime Scene: Counting to One Hundred Thousand (100,000)!
Moontide wrote:With careful investigation of the crime scene, you spot a small smoke smudge.
Possible Tools:
Flamethrower
Candle stick with candle
Failed batch of cookies
Matches

Need witnesses to share their observations to start weeding suspects out.
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

I have a question about the timetable. If we get evidence after the kidnappings, and those happen once a day, and the event lasts for nine days, is that going to produce enough drops to analyze sixteen suspects?
It should. Each suspect has 4 properties, and each tool has at most three. If you learn one new fact about the suspect each day, you will have it narrowed down it 4 days. If you learn one new fact about the tool in use, you will have solved the tool problem in 3 days. So there should be plenty of drops, even if some of them miss, like if a witness fails to report in, or if a crime scene isn't found.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Let's get some witnesses talking then! :x
Lizzy88
OK

Post by Lizzy88 »

Moontide wrote:Image
You saw suspect 10 calmly sleeping in bed. This means that suspect 10 is not the criminal.

Note, unlike mafia, you can post this PM directly into the game thread.
^^a PM from moontide
On the Soda Shoppe I am HomeschoolCowgirl. On the Chat I am TheStepHat. Does that help ya?
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Moontide wrote:Image
You saw the criminal grab one of the poor otters, who were minding their own business. After a short struggle, she ran off carrying an otter. You chased after her, but you tripped over a bush, and hit your head on a table. That is why you don't remember where you saw this event happen.

Note, unlike mafia, you are free to copy this PM directly into the thread.
This narrows it to Suspects 9-16 (except Suspect 10). I don't think it's Suspect 9 tho, because it said she ran and Suspect 9 is old. :anxious:
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The second kidnapping has happened. The crime happened on the last page (at the time of posting) of a thread that appears on the front page of a forum or sub-forum.

Here is your clue: Bird dice
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

Moontide wrote:While you were calmly walking through town, you saw a women run past you. She grabbed an otter who was busy balancing his check book. Then she rapidly turned around and ran back towards you. The otter struggled in her arms. Distracted by the otter, she ran right into you. As you fall to the ground, you realize that she is amazingly fit for a person who is not young. You black out as your head hits the cement and forget everything else.
Okay so the suspect is a women and she's old. So 9 and 10 perhaps?
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Kidnapping 2:
Moontide wrote:Here is your clue: Bird dice
Crime Scene: A Contest
Moontide wrote:A kidnapping crime scene!
However, even with a careful examination of the crime scene you don't find any clues about what tool they used or who did it.. You do find a clue suggesting the criminals get away path.
Here is your clue: Pie
Getaway: Pi Day 2015
Moontide wrote:A kidnapping get away scene!

You find a pie stand that was burnt down. However, the pie stand was very flammable, because of the petrol that was being stored inside.
Possible Tools:
Flamethrower
Candle stick with candle
Matches