The DJ Platform

Captured here, forever

Are you new in town? Unfamiliar with what to do first? Pop in and take a look at several helpful guides to get you settled into your new home! You'll also find Mayoral announcements to keep you abreast of the latest developments!
David O
I'm memorable

The DJ Platform

Post by David O »

Friends,
Over the last six years, it has been my joy and delight to watch the Odyssey online community grow and flourish. I can’t help but smile as various vestiges of the past cross my mind: The black and purple TH, The Mole Boards, the duckies, the ongoing debates and the never ending sheer randomness of the users. The looks have changed, but the single thing, the most important thing, linking past to present still remains: the people. I have grown up here, watched people come and go. I have come to love this place. Not just like or appreciate, but truly love. So it is with great enthusiasm, passion and joy that I am able to announce that JesusFreak777 and I will be running in the upcoming election.

When it all comes down to it, when you strip away the campaign promises, the popularity games, and the speeches, elections are all about people. The single most important element in any electoral candidate is their character and integrity. This is precisely why I believe that JesusFreak777 is the best choice possible for leadership here at the ToO. Her reputation is spotless, and her integrity is unquestionable. If you haven’t already, everyone reading this post should take the time to get to know Sarah. She’s one of the kindest people you will ever meet. She’s sweet, sincere, smart, funny, and unabashedly “loyal to a fault”. She is also committed to this board and passionate about seeing it flourish. I couldn’t be more pleased to be running for office with this amazing woman of God. So, send Sarah a message, or catch her in a chat sometime - I guarantee you that she’ll bring a smile to your face.

Odyssey, I hope and pray that we earn your vote during this election season.
David O and JesusFreak777 for Mayor and Chief of Police of the Town of Odyssey!

The Greatest Platform Ever Told

1. Spam Slam
=== 3 Strikes and you're out

It can't be denied. Spam has been a problem in Odyssey, ever since Eric Idle said to his wife "Don't make a fuss, dear. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam and spam." To combat this problem, Sarah and I have designed a solution which we call the 3 Strikes and You're Out system. When a user is first found guilty of spamming the Town, they'll be given a warning. How will they be found guilty? The admins and moderators will discuss every case in the administrative board. This way, the difficult decision to punish someone will not be made lightly or based on only one person's opinion, but will be a group consensus. The warning given will be the offending user's first strike. If spamming persists, strike two will carry with it a fine of 1 dollar for every 10 posts they have made. Basing the fine on post count will allow new users to make mistakes without getting set back as far, while still keeping the fine substantial to older users who should know better. Finally, strike 3 will consist of both a fine and an amount of jail time to be determined by the police force on a case by case basis. We believe that this graduated smackdown on spam is going to promptly bring more order, aura, and peace to the Town.

2. Whit's End REVOLUTION
===Weekly Discussion of Forgotten Episodes

You know, it's easy to forget, but when it all comes down to it, what sets this board apart is Odyssey. There are hundreds of thousands of message boards out there, and many hundreds of Christian ones that you and I could be posting at instead. All of you, like myself, have chosen this particular board because of what makes it different. It's because of this that we see it necessary to focus on revitalizing and improving Whit's End.
The following is our plan to increase user interest in neglected Odyssey episodes.
A. Users will be able to volunteer to do a weekly discussion thread for the daily episodes airing on oneplace.
B. That user will be able to choose any weekday episode airing throughout that week.
C. After choosing the episode they will come up with discussion questions (NOT from the official site or ultimate guide, but their own) for that episode and post them so that users can discuss the older episodes that are now somewhat ignored.

As you can see, this is not in any way a total revolution. Whit's End will still operate much as you know it. However, this addition should give us more to talk about, and give those who haven't stopped by Whit's End in a while a reason to check it out.

3. Games! Contests! Humiliation! \:D/

Treasure Hunt / Scavenger Hunt At some point over the next four months, we would love to involve everyone in a boardwide scavenger or treasure hunt. It would take advantage of all the forums on this board, and possibly the old TH archives as well, as a way to revisit the wonderful things that have happened on the board.

Mayor for the Day We plan on doing this twice. Basically someone would be chosen in a manner yet to be revealed and they would get the perks of this job without the responsibility. They would be given their name in orange, the mayor's salary, and permission to start a thread about just about anything and make it a global announcement. They would also have the opportunity to change the names, and avatars of the mod force, admins and perhaps a select number of willing members. More privileges may be added as we come up with them. Rest assured Fair Citizens, this user would be monitored so they won't take over the town. ;)

The Don't Die Contest - This awesome game of Awesomeness will take advantage of all of your skillz. Live the longest and you win! Take that, Trebek! \:D/

Make the Admins look Dumb v.2.0 This was done several terms ago, and we would love to bring it back again with a new twist...not only will you be able to change our siggies and avatars, but you'll also get to determine our names... and no matter how rediculous, we'll have to keep them that way for a week.

Spectaculous Surprise #1 - David O Radio
===Biweekly releases of personal music arrangements

One of my chief passions and delights is music. I have been playing piano since I was 3 years old, and pursuing it has been one of the best decisions I ever made. Playing has spilled over into writing, and now there are few things I can honestly say that I enjoy more than composing new songs. If elected, as a special thank you to the town, I will be posting an original arangement of my own every two weeks. I write somewhat eclectically, so I plan to post a variety of music, from orchestral to techno to piano solo.
Here's a sample for your listening pleasure (I hope.)
During my first semester at Liberty, I kept what I called a "composition journal". Once a week or so, I would just sit down and play on the piano how I felt that day. The above song is one of those entries. I came back to my room at the end of a long day, turned on my computer, hit "record", and started playing. This is the first thing that came out and I've never had to edit it.

I don't want to limit O Radio performance rights to myself, either. I would love to establish a showcase of musical talent to be featured on the board every two weeks.
If there are other musicians out there who would like to be heard, but have held back on sharing anything until now, this will be your opportunity to break out of your shell, and get recognized for your God-given talents. (Perhaps a Shadowpaw Song v.2 could be released?) ;)

Spectaculous Surprise #2 - DJ's Supacool Game Committee!
===Brilliant, Hip and Happening

Here at long last is the final part of our plan to help you at the ToO to get more out of your experience! We intend to implement the SGC (Supacool Game Committee (name by Catspaw and David O).) The SGC will be a team of six non-moderating ToOers who will devote their time not to maintaining peace and order, as the mods do, but rather will have the fun responsiblity of helping to keep the ToO the most enjoyable, unique, and totally awesome place on the internet to be. Their responsibilities will be mostly comprised of planning, designing, and overseeing the boardwide events we have in store for you next election.

One thing that I am proud and excited to be able to announce is that Trent DeWhite will be joining the team to oversee the return of The Amazing Race! With 6 people working together to design it, I think TAR will be better this year than ever before. Other events like the Scavenger Hunt and Mayor for a Day will be perfected beyond your expectations because more than just one or two people will be putting them together.

In-depth events, games engineered to be involving and as broadly appealing as possible, perfectly crafted rewards - this is the beautiful reality of the SGC.
Not dead yet.
Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle

Post by Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle »

Los tres golpes

The Three Strikes[/i]