Election Results - Term 14 Edition!

Are you new in town? Unfamiliar with what to do first? Pop in and take a look at several helpful guides to get you settled into your new home! You'll also find Mayoral announcements to keep you abreast of the latest developments!
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

American Eagle wrote:
SivartM wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:Sorry, I didn't realise the omnipotent God Who created the universe was to be the subject of irreverent jokes. \:D/

So I guess I can just say whatever I want about Him now. It doesn't really matter. It's just a joke.
Where did AE make a joke about God? I must have missed that, unless you're saying that God's a Methodist, and making jokes about Methodists is a sin.
I didn't make a joke about God. I said things along the lines of "God is on Stapler's side of the election", jokingly, of course. I've explained myself (and even apologized) several times, and we don't need to have this discussion again.
Well, actually we do if you continue doing something after apologising for it.
AE wrote:Please show me where I've made such a joke about God since the election.
Dude, I just quoted one such instance. >_>
Last edited by Pseudonym on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Pseudonym wrote:Dude, I just quoted one such instance. >_>
Sorry, I didn't notice it in the quotes. Woah, do you seriously mean this?
American Eagle wrote:It certainly wasn't Second Church! No church I'm Pastor of would say such a thing. I've now changed the church sign to, "BOO Tyler. BOO Kairi. God is very unhappy with you both!"
Why is it blasphemous to say God is unhappy with the opposing team? Show me that verse. It was fully, and obviously, a joke, and did not attack God's Name, His Character or His Attributes what-so-ever. I would never do so. You really need to lighten up. I didn't say anything against God, and the only reason you would think so is if you're an EKairi supporter.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

American Eagle wrote:Why is it blasphemous to say God is unhappy with the opposing team?
Saying "God says this, that, and the other thing" without it being actually true would qualify as blasphemy or using His name in vain.
Show me that verse.
Exodus 20:7 "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain."
It was fully, and obviously, a joke, and did not attack God's Name, His Character or His Attributes what-so-ever.
Saying God is unhappy with someone, even though you don't actually believe it/it isn't true is a misuse of His name. :-s That's like saying "God hates Macs." Would you find that appropriate, joking or no? You can't put words in His mouth.

I would never do so. You really need to lighten up.
LOL, man. I'm one of the most un-serious members on this whole board, but whatever I do, I never bring God into my stuff. I remember I did it once, thought it was wrong, received a PM telling me it was wrong, and I hastily edited it and apologised.
I didn't say anything against God, and the only reason you would think so is if you're an EKairi supporter.
If EK were going around saying "God hates Stapler!" I would criticise him. Please don't make some sort of personal attack that has nothing to do with the current subject.
So you lost your trust,
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

Once upon a time there was a person, he was kind of normal. One day he said to his sister "God says that the moon is made of green cheese, so you must believe that it is!!!!" His sister laughed and ate a potato chip.

The end.

Was I mocking God just now in my little story? 'Cause I can't see much difference between it and what AE posted earlier in this thread.
The good ol' ToO.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

InHisArms wrote:Was I mocking God just now in my little story? 'Cause I can't see much difference between it and what AE posted earlier in this thread.
The hypothetical person in your story was mocking God, yes. ;)
So you lost your trust,
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Samurai Neil
Popsicle kid

Post by Samurai Neil »

Pseudonym wrote:
InHisArms wrote:Was I mocking God just now in my little story? 'Cause I can't see much difference between it and what AE posted earlier in this thread.
I agree with Pseudonym on this.
Do you think God get a kick out of it when you joke about him? Do you think he appreciates it? Or even thinks it's cute? It is taking his name in vain to use for, shall we say, mindless humor.
COMING SOON: RANDOM ECONOMY TEXTBOOK QUOTES
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

Pseudonym wrote:
Just wondering. \:D/

But you have to take into consideration that what AE was saying was basically about a hypothetical person too. AE himself is NOT some crazy preacher who believes that God hates EKairi.

But if writing little funny stories about people mocking God is blasphemy, than AE and I are guilty. :(

Though if you're going to pick about blasphemy, it might be more constructive to to somewhere were non-christians hang out and say truly horrible things about God, and not make such a big deal about lighthearted posts made on a Christian message board. Just sayin'. :)
The good ol' ToO.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Didn't we do this debate last week?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

InHisArms wrote:But you have to take into consideration that what AE was saying was basically about a hypothetical person too. AE himself is NOT some crazy preacher who believes that God hates EKairi.

But if writing little funny stories about people mocking God is blasphemy, than AE and I are guilty. :(

Though if you're going to pick about blasphemy, it might be more constructive to to somewhere were non-christians hang out and say truly horrible things about God, and not make such a big deal about lighthearted posts made on a Christian message board. Just sayin'. :)
Thanks, Anna. Very well-said. :D
DanP740 wrote:Didn't we do this debate last week?
*sigh* Yes. ;)
Last edited by American Eagle on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

AE, stop talking. :x I had every thing cleaned up nicely and humorously (I think. =P), don't ruin ittttt! :mecry:

PM Pseudoguy? Maybe? ;)
The good ol' ToO.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

InHisArms wrote:AE, stop talking. :x I had every thing cleaned up nicely and humorously (I think. =P), don't ruin ittttt! :mecry:
Alright. \:D/ I've edited out anything that can be debated. Thanks. ;)
InHisArms wrote:PM Pseudoguy? Maybe? ;)
I've PMed Pseudonym what I said in case he wants to continue the discussion.

InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

American Eagle wrote:
InHisArms wrote:AE, stop talking. :x I had every thing cleaned up nicely and humorously (I think. =P), don't ruin ittttt! :mecry:
Alright. \:D/ I've edited out anything that can be debated. Thanks. ;)
InHisArms wrote:PM Pseudoguy? Maybe? ;)
I've PMed Pseudonym what I said in case he wants to continue the discussion.
I'm so influential. \:D/ Thanks AE. :D
The good ol' ToO.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

There's no saying God thinks something unless it lines up with the Bible. It doesn't have to be explicitly stated, but saying God thinks something ridiculous about forum election candidates is blasphemy...

What is blasphemy to you? Just carelessly throwing around God's name as a swear word? Just carelessly throwing around God's name full stop? I would say the latter, and your previous comment would qualify.

You said (yes, I know you were joking, but you still said it) that God is unhappy with EK and Kairi or something. That's (jokingly) putting words in His mouth. NO ONE CARES IF IT'S A JOKE. People can still blaspheme with jokes. :shock:

Also, I wasn't aware there's a specific use for each smiley. I guess we need a guide for that. \:D/ I was just indicating that I didn't agree.

I'm sorry, but if "God is unhappy with EKairi!" is respectful, then I have no idea what respect means anymore.

You said that the only reason I would think that I am blaspheming God is because I'm an EKairi supporter. :-s You're basically accusing me of sin because I voted for EKairi. Even if that were true, that has nothing to do with the current discussion. Let's just discuss if it was blasphemy or not.
InHisArms wrote:Though if you're going to pick about blasphemy, it might be more constructive to to somewhere were non-christians hang out and say truly horrible things about God, and not make such a big deal about lighthearted posts made on a Christian message board. Just sayin'. :)
Well, blasphemy on a Christian message board is kinda worse in my opinion than blasphemy on a non-Christian forum since the Christians should know better...

I doubt I can do much else that will persuade anyone of anything, and I bet Catspaw is planning to barge in here and end all our fun, so let me say this. AE, you have made jokes like this in the past, and you apologised, and I wouldn't hold it against you. But... you did it again. And you apologised again, saying "well, it's just a joke, but I apologise." Then... you do it again. Now you've just ignored the apologising part, since it apparently didn't matter to you before, and just say "You're reading it too seriously." If you apologise for something, make it sincere. Then prove it's sincere by not doing it again. If you don't think this is blasphemy, then don't apologise. Just pray about it and study blasphemy and decide what you wish, but don't make apologies for something that you're just going to do again.

EDIT: This was posted before I opened the PM. The discussion here is probably finished. Go back to rejoicing/crying over the results of the election. \:D/
Last edited by Pseudonym on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So you lost your trust,
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Shut up. :x All of you.

;)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Arg... I was hoping that would be the end of it. Hopefully this will be. \:D/
Pseudonym wrote:You're basically accusing me of sin because I voted for EKairi.
I think I should remind you it was a joke, so no, you didn't sin by voting for EKairi. ;)
Pseudonym wrote:If you apologise for something, make it sincere. Then prove it's sincere by not doing it again. If you don't think this is blasphemy, then don't apologise. Just pray about it and study blasphemy and decide what you wish, but don't make apologies for something that you're just going to do again./
I understand. Thanks for spending the time to discuss this, and I'll try to avoid using God in my sarcasm from now on.

Methodists are heathen! :x (There, I didn't mention God, just a denomination. I'm improving already. \:D/) Humor intended. Nothing against Methodism.

InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

The whole Anne of Green Gables series must be evil because there's a character who believes that Methodists are evil. :(
The good ol' ToO.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

American Eagle wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:You're basically accusing me of sin because I voted for EKairi.
I think I should remind you it was a joke, so no, you didn't sin by voting for EKairi. ;)
Well, it sounded like you were accusing me of slandering you (a sin) by saying you're blaspheming God just because I voted for EKairi. So basically I'm just thinking that because I didn't vote for you. That's how I understood the part about "I didn't say anything against God, and the only reason you would think so is if you're an EKairi supporter," anyway. ;)

This discussion will never die. \:D/

EDIT: Also, just to make sure everyone understands, I'm not a Methodist, nor did I have a huge problem with that part of his post. I don't believe IHA was referring her post to me, but I wanted to make sure no one thought that. ;)
Last edited by Pseudonym on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So you lost your trust,
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I've certainly done my share of posting really stupid things, but, yeah... it really isn't cool to use God's name like that... I mean I'm sure I've done the same thing, but if someone points it out I'll see the problem and stop... but I don't get this constant irreverance. It's just disappointing, really. Especially the way it's treated like a silly game.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Top and Pseudonym, alright.
InHisArms wrote:The whole Anne of Green Gables series must be evil because there's a character who believes that Methodists are evil. :(
Wow... I just watched that movie, which is what made me think of "heathen". (When Marilla is talking to Anne. ;)) But it's also a running joke around town, sort of like Beast. \:D/

Anyway, if you'll all excuse me, I must eat my Raman Noodle soup and then head to bed. Goodnight, fine people. :D

InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

American Eagle wrote:Top and Pseudonym, alright.
InHisArms wrote:The whole Anne of Green Gables series must be evil because there's a character who believes that Methodists are evil. :(
Wow... I just watched that movie, which is what made me think of "heathen". (When Marilla is talking to Anne. ;)) But it's also a running joke around town, sort of like Beast. \:D/

Anyway, if you'll all excuse me, I must eat my Raman Noodle soup and then head to bed. Goodnight, fine people. :D
I should stop talking about meaningless and off-topic stuff but...the movie stinks! Read the books! :x

Farewell! \:D/
The good ol' ToO.