The EKairi Platform

Are you new in town? Unfamiliar with what to do first? Pop in and take a look at several helpful guides to get you settled into your new home! You'll also find Mayoral announcements to keep you abreast of the latest developments!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

The EKairi Platform

Post by EK »

Tyler wrote: Update #1
The Interview!
Kairi wrote:So, here's a little questionnaire that tells you, the general public, something about us, the hopeful benevolent dictators. \:D/

Interviewer: Live from the ToO, it's Meet the Candidates. Today we are speaking with Ek and Kairi. First off, why are you running?

Kairi: Because politics are so beast! Actually, because I'd really like to give back to the little town which has taught me so much. (Oh, and the dictator status. ;))

EK: Because I can! :x Next question!

Interviewer: Second, what about the ToO is so appealing?

Kairi: The humor and the people. A day usually doesn't go by when I chuckle at something someone said. The people are great! Always ready to help.

EK: Definitely the community, i've made quite a few friends over the years, some that have left and some that are obviously here to stay...the fact that people can come together under one common interest and discuss so much more is pretty amazing.

Interviewer: Tell us a bit about yourselves.

Kairi: I'm a junior in high school, who just happens to be a huge geek. My source of geekiness? Science fiction, history, AIO, dramatic arts, current events, and roller coasters. I love writing stories (even if they are written in my head, instead of on paper), being snarky, and being in plays.

EK: Well I'm a college freshman, with a somewhat undecided major. I'm really into Photography and Graphic Design though, so i'm leaning toward that route of becoming a bottom feeding self promoting artist. ;) I'm also into playing the guitar and video games...so yeah...sort of a dork. :P

Interviewer: If you were to initiate a golden age, what would you do during that period of time?

Kairi: Raise the inflation rate to 100% and after everyone has collected an insane amount of money, delete all the money right before I leave office. ;)

EK: Make Top and Chandler the admins for life! :x

Interviewer: What about themed name changes for mods and admins? What would the themes be?

Kairi: I'd definitely like to see name changes! For me, probably Star Trek, Star Wars, old tv show characters, Peanuts (Charlie Brown and the gang) and roller coasters. :p

EK: Ehhh probably Star Wars most definitely, maybe like Garfield and perhaps some video games or something...I haven't really thought about it. :-k

Interviewer: What do you do with your spare time (when you aren't on the ToO, that is)? ;)

Kairi: Playing the Wii, watching science fiction, reading, writing, playing the piano and singing, and playing computer games.

EK: Erm, probably out looking for some cool places to take photos, or at the movies or something.

Interviewer: If there was one thing you could improve on the ToO, what would it be?

Kairi: I think I would try to help the newbies around. The ToO can be a confusing place!

EK: Hm, probably fix the shop. ;) Which i'm in the process of doing right now. \:D/

Interviewer: If you were to be trapped on a desert island and you could bring two things, what would you bring?

Kairi: A laptop and unlimited wi-fi. ;)

EK: My guitar and...well what else do you need on a desert island besides a guitar?

Interviewer: If you were allowed to ride only one more roller coaster in your lifetime, what ride would you ride?

Kairi: California Screamin' at Disneyland California Adventure.

EK: THE BEAST duh. :evil:

Thank you, EK and Kairi, we hope to see you again and also, your platform!
Update #2
The Style!
mr. peanut is relevant to this...obviously.

Before the upgrade went through, Darcie and I invited people to join a contest to design styles for the ToO on a beta board that was set up partially for that exact purpose, the style designers got hard at work on creating styles and in less than a month we had six styles custom tailored for the ToO, this just shows that when the members of the Town put their heads to something they can make it happen! \:D/

We want to continue to propel the creativity of the style designers by creating a group for them, they will have their own separate forum that's hosted on the ToO server so they can test out styles, and they will have a limited access to the FTP server (they will only be able to upload to the style testing board). Okay so what're the incentives of being a style designer?

We will be paying you to do this is the first perk! Each style will be graded A-C (no style fails if it's at least functional. ;) ) and you will be paid accordingly. We also at the end of our term will hold a "best style ever" poll to determine who gets the bonus money/item. \:D/

The second perk is after you've made at least one style you get an awesome color on your username to identify you as a style designer! Pretty insignificant I know, but it's somewhat cool. ;)

And the third perk is, well, people get to use your creative work to view the best forum on the interwebs! \:D/

And yeah...that's pretty much it for that part of the platform, short wasn't it?

Next On The Kairi/EK Platform:We show you our plans for the new AIO season!
Update #3
The Adventure!
Kairi wrote:And without much further ado....the next portion of our platform!
Continuing a Tradition
The board was founded for two reasons:
1. An alternative to the TH.
2. A place where kids (and some grownups) could just be kids and discuss AIO.
Obviously, the board has grown a bit. Over the recent months there has been some fear that AIO discussion has slowed. italiq did an excellent job reawakening AIO discussion and we hope to continue that.
Weekly Reviews
By the time of the election, Passages will have begun. We'll be bringing back the weekly reviews in full force, with prizes for the best reviews.

Passages
When the end of the Passages miniseries comes around, we will be holding a week long festival celebrating thePassages books, episodes, and miniseries.
Contests
What AIO contests do we have planned, do you ask? We plan on holding an AIO scavenger hunt and a scriptwriting contest. The scavenger hunt will involve searching the Internet for AIO-related articles, items, and pictures. The scriptwriting contest will involve teams, with each team coming up with an AIO fan script centered around a biblical story or moral theme that is randomly given to each team.

Much like Odyssey, in that there are always surprises around nearly every corner, this part of the platform will always be changing, as we add more of our ideas and yours to help the ongoing celebration of AIO.
Update #3
The Festival!
Tyler wrote:Image
Back in the amazing SEKHA term, this awesome guy named EK and this amazing chick named Ruthie held a fall festival event at the end of October, the following year, CIA did the same...and now EK and Kairi are planning to continue the tradition of having a weeklong festival with lots of fun games and events to take part in!

Here's a few events we have planned
Apples To Apples Tournament
After playing this awesome game at the Ohio convention last month, I was instantly addicted! (Even though I lost. :( ) We plan to have a huge apples to apples tournament that'll last the whole week!
The Fall Lounge
The lounge has become an institution on the ToO, it's the longest non-repetitive thread on the board! \:D/ And as with every fall festival we want to have a special fall lounge where you guys can enjoy whatever random events we have there.
The Fall Styles
The fall festival will kick off with the release of two new styles, one being a fall colored one that will provide you with a nice peaceful backdrop to enjoy the ToO with, but bah, who cares about that one!? :x We will also have a new dark style that will scare your pants off! \:D/
$5 Post Day - October 31st
Well, what else can we say about that.... ;)
The ToO Haunted House
This year we're adding an element of the oh-so hated Halloween to the ToO! ;) What're we gonna do about Halloween you might ask? Spend it on the ToO, duh. ;) We have a super awesome mystery game planned for you guys, and some great trick-or-treat style events. \:D/

This section will be added too as we come up with more cool games/events for you guys to participate in during this week!
Update #4
The Term Long Stuff!
Tyler wrote:Now for another exciting platform element (or three) from EK + Kairi! \:D/
Have you ever though that the factions around here are getting a little stale? Especially the original ones "The Bones of Rath" and "The Israelites", considering they never did much of anything (there was some cool vandalism type stuff done by the bones at one point I believe...but that's all.) I don't know if you could call them stale....but dead is more of fitting word. ;)

Here at EK + Kairi HQ we want to put some life into those dead factions, with a new event we have called faction wars...the concept is basic, over the span of our whole term we will post challenges at random times for each faction (the bones and Israelites) and the factions will receive points based on how well they did on each one. At the end of each month of our term, the faction with the highest score will get to choose a punishment for the other faction, or a reward for their faction. These punishments can be anything from taking points away from the other teams total, locking their board for 24 hours during a challenge, and many other detrimental effects. The rewards on the other hand can be something like getting a new NPC to join your faction to give you help and clues, getting a cash bonus for all of your members, getting bonus points, getting a color for your groups name, and many other bonuses.

As far as the challenges go, they can be anything from publishing a ToO style online magazine to competing in a RPG thread, we have a bunch of challenges in store so don't miss out. \:D/

Of course at the kick-off of the faction wars we will clear out both groups and have you pick only one of those two factions to join in on! This was Shadowpaw's original intent with those particular two factions but somehow...people stopped caring about that rule. ;)

Now on to the next part of this update!
Well i'm not going to make a big huge update about this one since it's not an event. ;)
I'm going to try, every week during our term, to release a 30 to 45 minute segment of myself perhaps interviewing ToOers, reading/addressing suggestions...taking questions, and making contest/event updates on a podcast. This will just be another way to get information if you don't feel like reading all of our boring posts. ;)

annd for the final part of this update i'll address some of the more routine admin things we'll be doing...
Moderators- As always we'll have a variety of old and new moderators, but I do want to try to get more new moderators as it is the fall and posting dies down somewhat compared to the summer, so it's a great time for mods to hone their skills. \:D/
Gower's Field- We'll continue to let Lena do her thing with GF and her efforts to revive it, there are some good ideas in that faction that I hope will soon come to fruition.
Economy- Yeah, the economy isn't going to inflate anytime soon so I wouldn't even worry about it. ;) Most people's money is already somewhat depleted from election donations...and when the shop goes up (it's almost up by the way...just having weird text length problems...may I reiterate that the guy who made it fails at making mods. ;) ) we will have event related items for you guys to buy, and will also be adding some cool novelty stuff.
Bugs and such- Yeah, Darcie and I will continue to do our job in that area. :hippy:

Next Up - Kairi tells you about our holiday plans and other cool events!
Update #5
The controversial stuff (well half of it)!
Kairi wrote: And....here's the next section of our platform. \:D/

Christmas Celebrations!

We're planning on beginning the celebrations in late November. It will all begin with a Christmas style contest, with a to-be-determined prize. We'll set up the Christmas forum, change the mods' names, and hold a White Elephant Gift Exchange. It will entail people signing up to give and receive gifts from and to other ToOers. We'll also hold a ToO Christmas pageant. Details on the Pageant to be determined at a later date. :)

Job System

Now, some of you may read the two words above and panic, thinking the economy will die and have to be reset again. On the contrary, special groups will be paid routinely for good deeds, suggestions, and posts they make. These groups will include the moderators; the Campbell County Community College professors (those who make the long and lengthy posts that most of us can't make heads or tails of ;)); Whit's End employees (those who make valuable posts contributing to AIO discussion, write good reviews, and AIO podcasts); the people who help run the Welcome Wagon; those who make exemplary posts in Gower's; those who make new styles; and many others we will add as time goes on.

Some will be paid by the discretion of forum leaders (the GF mod will decide who gets paid in Gowers, and the CCCC professors will get paid at the discretion of the CCDS mod); and the administrators will pay the others.
Tyler wrote: Image
Blogs, blogs, blogs, we get our news from blogs, we find insight in blogs, blogs make up the podcasts we listen too, the reviews we read, most everyone has blog, but some people may have trouble getting their blog noticed, or even having the will to go onto a separate site from their normal range of visited sites and actually set up a blog.

Enter the ToO, the place you log in every now and again (or every day if you're awesome enough. ;) ) you have built a reputation here, people will listen to what you say...but you don't exactly have a place to muse on the ToO, no place to really express what you're thinking at the moment, especially if it isn't really a thing someone would make a thread about. Maybe you just want to update people on your life...or on a project you're working on, or post the latest episode of your podcast. You search the ToO high and low for something like this...but it's nowhere to be found. :(

Well here at EK and Kairi HQ, we realized that if we made blogs readily available on a site that people already frequent, they would be more likely to frequently post on their blog. So if we are elected we will be implementing user blogs that allow someone to create their own blog right on the ToO! This could especially help some of our aspiring podcasters as all they need to do is just post their episode as an attachment and it would appear in the RSS feed for their blog, no hassle required. This can also help for people longing to have an online journal of some sorts, you can even pick who can view the blog to keep it private! People can subscribe to your blog via PM, E-mail, or RSS, meaning they will get your blog sent straight to them so you know it wont be ignored!

Soooooooo, huzzah for blogs! \:D/
Tyler wrote: Image
Yes, Mad Libs, the extremely hilarious game we've all played on long car trips, at camp, or just at home with the fam is coming to the ToO! And no, not just once or twice....but every week! For those of you who don't know what madlibs is, it basically starts out as a pretty normal story with a bunch of blanks where the nouns, adjectives, and verbs go, and people fill them in with ridiculous answers trying to make the most hilarious story possible! \:D/

So every week we will provide a Mad Libs story, and people will PM their answers in to us by the end of the week and we will pick the best ones and award random cash and item prizes each week. We will also post all of the stories each week for people to read!

Over the course of the term we will keep track of how many "points" each person gets depending on how many times they got 1st 2nd or 3rd place (3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd) and at the end of the term we will declare the mad libs champion! \:D/

This is just another little fun event out of the many we have planned for you guys!