The Odyssey Bank Heist

Are you new in town? Unfamiliar with what to do first? Pop in and take a look at several helpful guides to get you settled into your new home! You'll also find Mayoral announcements to keep you abreast of the latest developments!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

The Odyssey Bank Heist

Post by Shadowpaw »

Well citizens, another great event has befallen us. To sum it up, it was crazy and confusing... but filled with twists. For those who missed it, here is the recap:

Early in the morning on July 21, tradegy struck the board. Several members were deleted and posts went missing, while other accounts just broke. While Eugene Blackgaard, Top Crusader, and I fixed these problems... someone hacked in and stole the Blackgaard DNA. We did not know this until Rachael brought it to our attention. Shortly after, a mysterious message appeared in Crestwood Avenue. Once dechipered, it read:

SUNDAY NIGHT. EIGHT O'CLOCK. CRESTWOOD AVENUE. COME. BID. BE PREPARED.

Chatter commenced as the citizens strived to figure out what the clue meant. Eventually, must everyone came to the conclusion that it could only mean one thing: The Blackgaard DNA was being auctioned off. Over the next several hours, villains began pouring out of the woodwork and interacting with the citizens of the town. Clearly, their presence was not a coincidence. They, like the citizens of Odyssey, wanted to get their hands on the Blackgaard DNA. Rumor has it that whoever possesses this item will be able to control the Blackgaard NPC (non playing character) and have power beyond that of a normal user. Things started heating up when AREM arrived, delivering a batch of "clues":

1. 0023709obtain190204a0095-tion0128488mustbe9191924complete1204745citizenkane2346
2. 93095comsumer03321-5887youmust493608youvegotto293505392buyandbuyandbuyandbuyandbuy8230850325098herberthoover293959=-9itisinevitable23467
3. t3n47jhffaektgplay23589erS025inour232850little80398gam46e7
4. two329525388R93215pawns12-=596
5. two6346y6577bishops23578oNe9124notasitseems26644
6. thr3320390523horsesi3583258on81244different013854-0143rOAdz02350852
7. the1358-fam02395iliar325939queen33250523800t0934h13958e38k12348ey14-0
8. 2375050th3frnd1049149pwn3205853-
9. teh2905fnal23085play4340er235853AREM0-023is=0-2350amo3468ngus3257053209752608-08final3-1582mssg3-580-0238787

The villains continued interacting with the citizens, until 8:00 MTN on Sunday night. This is the thread that appeared, an auction hosted by a mysterious "Auctioneer", which did involved the Blackgaard DNA. Members began bidding, but the NSA shut down the banks to prevent the villains from using their funds. Un-phased, the Auctioneer didn't seem to mind... he said he would allow people to bid anyway. The bidding continued for 24 hours, with strange events occuring the meantime. Rodney Rathbone pretended to be Bennett Charles in a bizarre act that got him thrown into prison, and Abdul robbed every single member of the Blackgaard Clan. Alfred Brownlee, apparently in an effort to show he had changed, also held an interview with Trent deWhite to explain AREM's clues. Then, at precisely 8 o'clock, the auction closed and the Auctioneer said he would notify the winner. A short while later, the NSA lifted the ban on the bank accounts... only to the horror of several wealthy members, their money was not inside! Rodney and Abdul, who were already in prison, were soon joined by Edwin Blackgaard, Alfred Brownlee, Jellyfish, Hank Murray, Richard Maxwell, Rusty Gordon, Phillip Glossman, and Professor Bovril. They were also joined by several members of the Town of Odyssey, such as J-Man, Eugene Blackgaard, Trent deWhite, Eugene Kendall and Simbelmyne34. The NSA decided to conduct an investigation, which angered many fans who felt they were being ruthless in their attempts for justice.

As each prisoner was freed on bail, they were given the opportunity to answer questions. Over the course of the investigation, it was revealed that:

Glossman had exactly $25, 100 on him. The same amount used to purchase the missing DNA.

Abdul: Was instructed to rob members of Blackgaard Clan to thwart their attempts at winning the auction for the DNA. They were going to use it for evil, he was told.

Rusy Gordon: Was not involved, but figured Glossman was behind it.

Professor Bovril: Was in fact, trying to help the Blackgaard's and had severed his relationship with Abdul.

Alfred Brownlee: Had come to Odyssey to stop the sale. But when he figured out who was behind everything, went into hiding. The "powerful" person would find him, or so he feared.

Rodney Rathbone: Was instructed to pretend to be Bennett Charles by someone who was very powerful, and had threatened his pop. He did it blindly, to protect his father.

Hank Murray: Was invited to Odyssey by a mysterious person who wanted Hank to steal the DNA. But instead of getting the DNA, was put in prison and accused of robbing the banks because of his past misdeeds.

Jellyfish: Hungry for money, convinced members to pay him for information. He revealed that he was in contact with a powerful person who had been hired by Edwin Blackgaard to rob the bank.

Edwin Blackgaard: Confesses to the crime, after his conscience (and evidence) mounts against him. He refuses to reveal who helped him, though he begins to question whether it was the helper who wanted him to rob the bank... or if he had been convinced it was his own idea.

In a build up of suspense, the villains began doubting the powerful person. Some feared him, others admired him.. but when it came out, they all knew what had happened. The friendly neighborhood hacker... AREM... had manipulated them all. In the confusion, Glossman went missing... AREM, leaving one last cryptic message... and the DNA, Auctioneer, Glossman, and AREM all vanished into the night. His final clue, however, indicated one chilling hint: "AREM is Keyser Soze. Ha Ha." For those of the popular culture, Keyser Soze was a criminal who fooled everyone, but in the end... got away. It's safe to assume that our friend Mr. Glossman and AREM, were one in the same (at least for the course of the past week). How is this possible? We may never know... Richard Maxwell was never brought into questioning, a mystery only the citizens can answer.

But was Glossman really two different people? No, says Alfred Brownlee, and here's why:
Alfred Brownlee
Just visiting

Post by Alfred Brownlee »

He is three. Glossman was not only AREM, but the Auctioneer as well. This triforce of evil was a ploy designed to wreak havoc with the citizens of this town. I realized this only too late... my interpretations to Trent earlier were very accurate, but I neglected to view it from an angle (like most citizens), that AREM was hurting us... not helping.

1. 0023709obtain190204a0095-tion0128488mustbe9191924complete1204745citizenkane2346
"Obtain - auction must be complete. Citizen Kane"

AREM wanted the wealthy to obtain the DNA. This "game" for him was to draw the wealthy citizens into a bidding war, ultimately earning the auctioneer more money.

2. 93095comsumer03321-5887youmust493608youvegotto293505392buyandbuyandbuyandbuyandbuy8230850325098herberthoover293959=-9itisinevitable23467
"Consumer, you must, you've got to, buy and buy and buy and buy and buy. Herbert Hoover, it is inevitable"

Again, same idea as above. Convince the citizens they need to buy this DNA, and you've earned yourself an additional set of cash.

3. t3n47jhffaektgplay23589erS025inour232850little80398gam46e7
"The Fake Player in our Little Game"

Philip Glossman sure was a fake player... he was ridiculing members for their low bids, asking them to bid higher. Everyone assumed Glossman was an active participant in the bidding, but that was never true. He was orchestrating the entire event.

4. two329525388R93215pawns12-=596
"Two Pawns"

There were two pawns: Rodney and Abdul. I've always assumed that, and now know it to be true. AREM contacted Rodney and told him to prevent the sale of the Blackgaard DNA, Rodney needed to pretend to be Bennett Charles. A bit of a stretch right? Well, Rodney feared that having Blackgaard back would NOT bode well for his family, and agreed to do it provided he was not in prison for too long. Glossman simply wanted to ridicule the boy (for ruining their plans when Blackgaard was still alive), and reveal to Bennett Charles that Glossman no longer takes him seriously (Glossman, if I read your forums right, appears to have been Charles' right hand man several months ago? I can only assume it was Charles who left the information Glossman needed to access the AREM account as well).

Abdul was used to rob the Blackgaard Clan family. Glossman needed a scapegoat for the bank robbery, and thought Edwin Blackgaard would be the perfect candidate. But, there was a problem... the Blackgaard Clan had earned a lot of money already, and Edwin had initially appealed to them for assistance. Using this money, Edwin would not have given in to AREM's insistence that they break into the bank (since he would have had enough)... so Abdul was convinced the Blackgaard Clan would use the DNA for evil and so Abdul was instructed to "retrieve" the funds. The plan worked, as Edwin was forced with no other option but to turn to AREM.

5. two6346y6577bishops23578oNe9124notasitseems26644
"Two Bishops, One Not as it Seems"

A clue designed to cast doubt on my allegiance, or Tasha's... I do not know which. We both came to help the citizens, but our values were both questioned. A clever ploy on AREM's part, in an attempt to divert attention to other people and cause suspicion.

6. thr3320390523horsesi3583258on81244different013854-0143rOAdz02350852
"Three Horses on Different Roads"

Jellyfish, Hank Murray, and Glossman himself.

Jellyfish and Glossman continue to do business from time to time, and Glossman tipped him off that the auction was going to take place. Jellyfish was supposed to take over the Bones and use them to bully people into bidding. But the members of the Bones of Wrath lacked any reasonable amount of money, so they abandoned that plan. However, for a little coin, Jellyfish was willing to divulge all that he knew... except of course that Glossman was involved.

Hank Murray was a decoy. He was instructed to steal the DNA, but under the assumption that the DNA was a very powerful and evil weapon. Murray agreed when he realized that AREM was known as a hero around the ToO, and wanted to improve his image with the townsfolk once it was revealed he had prevented a horrible event. But AREM knew he was going to be sent to jail once the auction was over, due to his past, and only wanted one more suspect in the line of suspects that needed to be assembled for his plan to work.

7. the1358-fam02395iliar325939queen33250523800t0934h13958e38k12348ey14-0
"The Familiar Queen is the Key"

Ah yes, the drama queen. He also has a "familiar" relation to Regis Blackgaard. AREM was hoping this clue would bring attention to Edwin, who he felt was the "key." The AREM did not believe Edwin would give up his involvement, unfortunately, when it was revealed that AREM had taken more than $25,100 from the bank, Edwin realized he had been duped.

8. 2375050th3frnd1049149pwn3205853-
"The Friend Pawn"

Professor Bovril, the friend of Regis Blackgaard. The man who owned the DNA to begin with, before it was stolen for the black market... and then stolen again for the auction.

9. teh2905fnal23085play4340er235853AREM0-023is=0-2350amo3468ngus3257053209752608-08final3-1582mssg3-580-0238787
"The Final Player AREM is Among Us. Final Message"

In a moment of arrogance, AREM is teasing the sleuths. Claiming that he is the final player in this game, blending in with everyone. Sure enough, AREM was never suspected of being the one involved. He was absent over the course of the entire investigation, laying low, (as Glossman was in questioning) and appearing only after Glossman had escaped.

We also know that AREM convinced Tasha, and the NSA, to shut down the bank but not trust the FBI to handle this investigation. Why? Surely the FBI would let the NSA know that this AREM was not the same AREM they hired a few years ago. It also was a prefect opportunity for AREM to go in and out of people's bank accounts without them noticing anything was wrong until the auction closed. He need only give Blackgaard the $25,100, and it would appear that was all he was able to retrieve. But stealing nearly $80,000 of additional money and storing it in an account that AREM had created for the Bennett Charles takeover, would ensure Glossman had covered all the basis. He would leave Odyssey a far richer man then he came... but what about the DNA?
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

I have a bit to add to this as well, from the report I made pertaining to the police's investigation.

Glossman was AREM during this crisis, but was he AREM during the Bennett Charles takeover? And if not, who was? After musch investigation, I have uncovered the answer. Richard Maxwell was our original post Robert Mitchell AREM.

During the Bennett Charles takeover, Richard Maxwell caught wind of Charles' and Glossman's scheme, and saught to warn the people of Odyssey. However, he feared no one would trust him, so he took a drastic step. Using his computer knowledge, he created a computer persona for himself identicle to the original AREM, and set out to lay clues for the citizens to follow. He could not just come out and say what he had to say for fear of being found out and killed by Bennett.

If anyone has been wondering where Maxwell has been, wonder no longer. I had him under close police protection. You see, Maxwell came to Odyssey a 2nd time to hopefully act as AREM again and stop Glossman's plot. However, Glossman found out about Maxwell being AREM, and managed to hack into AREM's userface before Richard could get to it. Glossman had stolen AREM's identity!

Richard was shocked to recieve a death threat from AREM, his own cybersource, and came to me and told me someone was out to kill him. He couldn't say any more, but I placed him under severe police protection and holed him away in one of our Police Dorms.

And so, ladies and gentlemen, now that this has been solved, or at least relativley solved, he is free to roam the streets once again. People of the ToO, may I present you Richard Maxwell, the hero of the Town Of Odyssey! :)

One final note, as much as it pains me to do so, I have placed Edwin Blackgaard under arrest for his crimes untill he can face a proper trial. Thank you, and goodnight.
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

Wow, I didn't know this forum could be so exciting! (and I'm still never going to use the bank :- )
katrinameltzner
I've been here a bit

Post by katrinameltzner »

Yes, this was a thrilling mystery, but not one cent of my money will EVER see the bank again!
Intentions are good;
Committment is necessary;
But in order to move forward,
Actions are required.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Great mystery! =D> Everything concluded while I was asleep though! :(
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I think I missed something. who figured this out?
...I hate marquees.
spiderman
insert dash here

Post by spiderman »

this was a fun mystery but i wasn't here for the ending either. ](*,)
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Stupid thunderstorm.. ](*,)
...I hate marquees.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Who won the Auction?

And....will I get my money back?
spiderman
insert dash here

Post by spiderman »

Edwin Blackgaard won the Auction.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

So what will happen to the Blackgaard DNA?
And I realize now that I should have suspected that something was strange when AREM told us to buy and buy and buy..That didn't quite seem right to me at the time, but I didn't press the matter..
...I hate marquees.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Maybe the loose end concerning the DNA will be wrapped up in another story arc....

*feels satisfied that the mystery was solved for the most part* We still must stay on guard- the DNA can be used for evil at any time.
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Perhaps Regis will come back! :anxious:
...I hate marquees.
spiderman
insert dash here

Post by spiderman »

If Glossman/AREM/Auctioneer still has the DNA then there has to be more to the story that will come later...
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Yeah.
...I hate marquees.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

J-man wrote:Yeah.
Has your money been returned yet, J-man?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

pacer294 wrote:If Glossman/AREM/Auctioneer still has the DNA then there has to be more to the story that will come later...
I don't think Glossman will be returning as AREM, but I expect to see him and the DNA strand (or worse, Regis) in the not too distant future.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Great Story Arc!
I like this snubs fellow.
General nuisance extraordinaire.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

AIOfan11 wrote:
J-man wrote:Yeah.
Has your money been returned yet, J-man?
I didn't lose any. :anxious:
...I hate marquees.