10th Anniversary and Special Announcement

Are you new in town? Unfamiliar with what to do first? Pop in and take a look at several helpful guides to get you settled into your new home! You'll also find Mayoral announcements to keep you abreast of the latest developments!
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I reiterate: I am not a fan. :noway:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I was a fan, but I suspected it was a joke, because of the silly "The Soda Town" name.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I knew this had to be an April Fools' Day prank....good one, guys. ;)

*loves April Fools' Day*
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This was a good prank idea, but it didn’t really work for multiple reasons not limited to the following.

Shadowpaw wrote:the board has been going through a spell of inactivity recently. ... We've decided that the most viable option, to ensure the successful future of both boards, is to create a brand new board
If the purpose of this is to remedy inactivity, this is the worst solution you could come up with. Closing the board in question and moving to a completely new one? If people are having trouble coming around to a site they already use they’re not going to migrate to a new one and start over, they’ll just drop away.

Shadowpaw wrote:the respective leaders of the Town of Odyssey and Soda Shop message boards have been conversing recently over the idea of merging ... create a brand new board, a combination of our two boards
This one is obvious, but closing both boards and opening a new one isn’t a merge, it’s a forced consolidation into a brand new startup. Not a logical course of action for any purpose on either side.

Shadowpaw wrote:bringing together all the things that make both boards great.
Except apparently the things that make The ToO great (cash, Elections, etc) as those features need to be supported into existence on the new site or they’ll be dropped.

Shadowpaw wrote:The new board will, unfortunately, not be opening today, as we would have hoped. Instead, we will be opening the new board on May 7th ... Thus, both boards will remain open until that date. This gives time for all community members to learn of the change.
These statements are contradictory. The delay allows people to have notice; but the plan was for the new board to be ready now, meaning there would not have been any notice.

Shadowpaw wrote:thesodatown.x10host.com
Having the new site be a subdomain on a free host took validity out of the appearance. I know this is supposedly still just the prototype site and perhaps the domain would be upgraded later, but it still threw a red flag up early on at a time you need people to be at least open to the possibility this is legitimate.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Heh, I have to agree, the sub-domain was the biggest giveaway. And the lame 'Soda Town' name. =p
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

bookworm wrote:This was a good prank idea, but it didn’t really work for multiple reasons not limited to the following.

Shadowpaw wrote:the board has been going through a spell of inactivity recently. ... We've decided that the most viable option, to ensure the successful future of both boards, is to create a brand new board
If the purpose of this is to remedy inactivity, this is the worst solution you could come up with. Closing the board in question and moving to a completely new one? If people are having trouble coming around to a site they already use they’re not going to migrate to a new one and start over, they’ll just drop away.

Shadowpaw wrote:the respective leaders of the Town of Odyssey and Soda Shop message boards have been conversing recently over the idea of merging ... create a brand new board, a combination of our two boards
This one is obvious, but closing both boards and opening a new one isn’t a merge, it’s a forced consolidation into a brand new startup. Not a logical course of action for any purpose on either side.

Shadowpaw wrote:bringing together all the things that make both boards great.
Except apparently the things that make The ToO great (cash, Elections, etc) as those features need to be supported into existence on the new site or they’ll be dropped.

Shadowpaw wrote:The new board will, unfortunately, not be opening today, as we would have hoped. Instead, we will be opening the new board on May 7th ... Thus, both boards will remain open until that date. This gives time for all community members to learn of the change.
These statements are contradictory. The delay allows people to have notice; but the plan was for the new board to be ready now, meaning there would not have been any notice.

Shadowpaw wrote:thesodatown.x10host.com
Having the new site be a subdomain on a free host took validity out of the appearance. I know this is supposedly still just the prototype site and perhaps the domain would be upgraded later, but it still threw a red flag up early on at a time you need people to be at least open to the possibility this is legitimate.
#YUSoSerious #forrealz
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I was providing constructive criticism. If you’re going to try pulling a prank it should have a chance of working, or what is the point?
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

. .it did work. People were convinced.

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
shnoodlec
Tallying up

Post by shnoodlec »

I'm still waiting for May 7, to be honest.
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. now enjoying an era of peace between the Monkeys and Vampires. permanent n00b. Q&A thread HERE. come find me on the ToO chat if you dare.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Marvin D. wrote:. .it did work. People were convinced.
Only people who didn't know better. (No offense meant.)
If someone actually analyzed it to assess the possibility it was legitimate they would have found the flags I mentioned and quickly dismissed it.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Pffft.

Think and analyze less, have more fun.

#yolo #HashtagsonToO #WhyDidIJustDoThis

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Wait. It isn't real?
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.