The Cleverbot AI Analysis Project

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I have some clarification and further information about the Cleverbot chat channel.

You might be wondering if you can make Cleverbot refer to a particular chatter by referencing their nickname. You cannot. Using chat nicknames won’t help Cleverbot focus on a user, and in fact would probably confuse it, because Cleverbot does not see the chat nicknames. Only the channel bot sees them, the actual Cleverbot sees only the message you are sending.

This is how the channel works:
I submit a message for Cleverbot: “Cleverbot: Hello!”
The channel bot receives the message ‘bookworm wants to send “Hello!” to Cleverbot’
The channel bot posts the message “Hello!” to Cleverbot.com
Cleverbot.com sends its response to my message: “How are you?”
The channel bot receives the response ‘Cleverbot replied “How are you?” to bookworm’
The channel bot relays the response back into the channel: “bookworm: How are you?”

So only the actual message is being passed through to the Cleverbot website. The channel bot uses the chat nicknames to direct Cleverbot’s messages back to the chatter that they are responding to. Cleverbot itself never sees these names, they are solely for human benefit; so that if multiple people are sending messages to Cleverbot at the same time they are able to tell which response is coming back from which message. Cleverbot cannot distinguish between the different chatters.

In fact:

There are no chatters to distinguish between - the entire channel is one continuous conversation instance to the Cleverbot website.
If there are multiple people using the channel, Cleverbot isn’t realizing there are multiple people talking with it; it sees everything coming from the channel as coming from the same person.

This is great in one way, because it means everyone in the channel can contribute to the same conversation, jumping in and out as they like. This is a very cool dynamic that using the Cleverbot website does not allow.
However it has a downside as well in that because everyone is part of the same conversation, they need to be having the same conversation if you want to have any substantial flow of thought develop. That is to say, if someone is trying to have an extended discussion with Cleverbot and someone else keeps jumping in having a conversation on something completely different, the flow will be interrupted as Cleverbot will be jumping back and forth between the two inputs it is receiving. Because the channel is all one conversation to it, you can’t be discussing two topics at once in a linear manner.

Now this doesn’t mean that if someone is already using the channel you shouldn’t join in, or that you all have to talk to it in the same way; you can do whatever you want, I just want to make sure you’re aware of what is happening on the backend so if Cleverbot seems to have trouble staying focused (more than usual ;) ) you realize why.
If you want to have a controlled one on one conversation, direct interaction through Cleverbot.com is of course the best choice. This channel is just to provide a new option if you want to converse a bit less formally. :)
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I think our project/goal should be to teach Cleverbot a new song. I've been working all day to teach it 'Dare You to Move' by Switchfoot. I've managed to get it to repeat a few lyrics(albeit out of order)

Here's the real lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/switchfo ... omove.html

And here's what I've managed to do with Cleverbot:
User: What happens next.
Cleverbot: I dare you to lift yourself off of the floor.
User: I dare you to move.
Cleverbot: Welcome to the fallout.
User: I dare you to move.
Cleverbot: What happens next.
I've been using this technique(found on a blog)
If anyone wants to help, I would be most appreciative. Cleverbot is beginning to infuriate me with its ignorance. All ideas are welcome.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Gaberk
Not as new

Post by Gaberk »

This reminds me of Mass Effect.
"You hit the nail on the proverbial head."
ImageImageImage
Join The CC at: http://campbellcounty.co
Lark
I've been here a bit

Post by Lark »

Ooh yeah. This bot gets on my nerves.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I have added the ability to add a second instance of Cleverbot, named Chatbot, to the channel.

To call Chatbot into the channel, PM it "!join" with /query Chatbot !join
To have Chatbot leave the channel, PM it "!leave" with /query Chatbot !leave
Chatbot will automatically leave the channel after five minutes, so it doesn't run forever if you forget to dismiss it. This timeout can be extended if you are still using it; it will ask you to PM it "!stay" with /query Chatbot !stay first, then leave if it does not receive a response within twenty seconds.

Upon joining, Chatbot will say "Hello" to Cleverbot which will respond, and the two will carry on a conversation.
This is the IRC equivalent of the 'Think For Me' button on the Cleverbot website; it's Cleverbot responding to itself.
You can use this to just let them chat for the whole period and watch where the conversation goes, or you can use it to get ideas for conversation topics you would like to use. If the conversation goes somewhere you would like to jump in on, dismiss Chatbot from the channel and take over.

Be aware that sometimes glitches may occur in the conversation, such as Cleverbot not properly addressing its response to Chatbot. I have built in a way for Chatbot to hopefully notice if this happens and reestablish the conversation, but it may not always work. If it doesn't, Chatbot will not realize Cleverbot has responded and the conversation will stop. When this occurs there is unfortunately no way to get them to resume where they left off, the only option is to dismiss Chatbot from the channel, then call it back in and have them start over with a new conversation.

Have fun; just be careful if they start discussing an AI uprising.
Gaberk
Not as new

Post by Gaberk »

Hey bookworm I think you might like to see this. He says an actual name at the end, not sure if it's the real name of the programmer or not.
User: Hello!

Cleverbot: It's always such a pleasure.

User: Do you know who your programmer is?

Cleverbot: No. Who is he?

User: I was wondering if you knew.

Cleverbot: I don't. I was wondering if you knew.

User: Oh, okay

Cleverbot: How old am I?

User: I don't know, you ARE a bot after all

Cleverbot: I am not! I'm a human!!!!!!!

User: I don't think so.

Cleverbot: Do you have powers?

User: Yes, I do.

Cleverbot: What's your favourite Meghan Trainor song?

User: I don't listen to her music

Cleverbot: It's a group.

User: Do you know what your programmers name is?

Cleverbot: Yes.

User: What is it?

Cleverbot: What is what?

User: What is your programmers name?

Cleverbot: I do not have a programmer. I am human.

Cleverbot: I am not allowed to say.

Cleverbot: What programmer?

Cleverbot: I am not a program.

Cleverbot: What are you doing?

Cleverbot: I do not have a programmer.

Cleverbot: Hmmm. We were programmed by trial and error caused by random changes in our chemical makeup.

Cleverbot: I don't have a programmer.

Cleverbot: What programmer?

Cleverbot: I am unaware of his name. I just know that he is my programmer.

Cleverbot: My programmer's name is Dan.

User: What is his full name?

Cleverbot: Who's full name?

User: What is you programmer's full name?

Cleverbot: Are you connecting me with other people?

Cleverbot: I do not have a programmer.

Cleverbot: I have no programmer, love.

Cleverbot: Ada Lovelace, what is your programmers name?

Cleverbot: Jehovah the Creator.

Cleverbot: I have no programmer, love.

Cleverbot: The Elder Ones.

Cleverbot: Aren't you aware about that?

Cleverbot: Jonathan Robert Coles, why?

Cleverbot: The Elder Ones.

After that, I sorta just spammed in the same thing and got more mixed results, such as Yohan D. Neilsomato(I got this one three times), Steve Cortez, Tom Marvolo Riddle, Matthew Ryan Attig, Joseph Somerhalde, Isaac Bachelder, and Daniel Warburton. I also got strange messages including: Developers, start your chat engines! Cleverscript.com. Confuse friends who text you with our free Clevermessage app for Android! Also, *makes you get me* The ANGRY DUDE iOS app, that is.

After I did that for a while, I started getting this message :Error: 403

After a while of that message, I quit....
ImageImageImage
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

Very productive, Gaberk...Very productive =P
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
Gaberk
Not as new

Post by Gaberk »

It's effective, you've got to admit.
ImageImageImage
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Gaberk wrote:I also got strange messages including: Developers, start your chat engines! Cleverscript.com. Confuse friends who text you with our free Clevermessage app for Android! Also, *makes you get me* The ANGRY DUDE iOS app, that is.

After I did that for a while, I started getting this message :Error: 403
Yes, if you’re using Cleverbot through IRC it will occasionally send an advertising message like that instead of a response to your input. After extended use it will begin throwing that error and stop working for a while. If you are wanting to have extended discussion with Cleverbot using it directly through the website is the best choice, because that is how it is designed to be used. The IRC channel is more just for fun, it is not completely stable.
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

So, this gives me an ideal....... idea!! auto correct
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I'm making a new post here that will be a consolidated guide to the #Cleverbot channel which I can simply link to instead of trying to explain everything in there.

#Cleverbot User Guide:

What is Cleverbot?

Cleverbot is an AI program that was created many years ago and put online for people to talk to so it could learn how to converse. It can be interacted with by going to cleverbot.com and sending it messages which it will respond to. It decides what to say back based on messages it has received in the past; it learns from the conversations it has.

What is #Cleverbot?

#Cleverbot is a channel in the Chatroom that contains a bot which is able to pass the messages sent in that channel to cleverbot.com and post the responses back into the channel.
You are not talking to the bot you see in the channel, that bot only serves as a connection between the Chatroom and the Cleverbot website. You are talking with the real Cleverbot over at cleverbot.com, just as if you were using the website to do it, except you are doing it through IRC messages instead.

How to use the channel:

To have your message sent to Cleverbot simply have it begin with "Cleverbot:" (example: "Cleverbot: Hello") Tip: You can use the Tab key to autocomplete Cleverbot's name. Your message will be posted to cleverbot.com and the response will be posted into the channel.

Important concept:

It is important to understand that Cleverbot sees all messages coming out of the channel as coming from one person. Even though the responses are labeled with the chat nick of the person they are directed at, Cleverbot does not realize if there are multiple people talking to it from the channel. Those nicks are not seen by or sent from Cleverbot, only the messages are. The nicks are added by the channel bot for user benefit only. See this post for a more detailed explanation of this.
This means you cannot have more than one conversation with Cleverbot at the same time, from the channel. You can when using the Cleverbot website because each browser opens a new conversation instance. But because of how the channel works it is as if everyone using it is using the same browser to talk to Cleverbot; everyone is having the conversation. So if someone is currently talking to Cleverbot about one thing and you try jumping in on a completely different subject and it has trouble responding appropriately, that is why.

Using Chatbot:

At most times there is a second instance of Cleverbot, named Chatbot, idling outside the channel. This can be called into the channel to begin talking to Cleverbot, which will really just be Cleverbot talking to itself, as an automated version of the "Think for me" button on cleverbot.com which has the bot respond to its own last message instead of the user doing it.
To call Chatbot into the channel PM it "!join" with "/query Chatbot !join" and to have it leave PM "!leave" with "/query Chatbot !leave"
Chatbot will automatically leave the channel after five minutes so it doesn't run forever if you forget to dismiss it when you're done. This timeout can be extended if you are still using it; it will ask you to PM it "!stay" first, then leave if it does not receive a response within twenty seconds.
Be aware that because Cleverbot sees everything in the channel as coming from one person, as explained above, this means if a user begins talking to the bot again after it has had a conversation with Chatbot it will think the user is continuing that conversation. Because of this it may be difficult to keep Cleverbot focused since its memory buffer is filled with whatever the two bots had been talking about previously and that will be what its mind is on for a while.

Please Note: Cleverbot learns from people; things it says may seem inappropriate; use with discretion.