Judge Moody!!! (That means sue anybody, except the judge)

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

In truth, Taps did indeed steal my phrase. I have used it on multiple occasions, beginning with a use in a special "ToO Comic". Since that date, "this is an outrage!" has been a regular saying in my vocabulary. However, I never got it copyrighted.

Do you know of a copyright office in Odyssey? I certainly couldn't find one. Just imagine my shock and surprise when I, not having the chance to copyright the phrase, found another guy using it. :( I felt cheated, wronged, saddened.

Judge, please understand my sufferings. I am double-counter-suing Taps $477.67 for emotional damage and hurt.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Hugh Bald wrote:Slander. I, for one, gained a strong fear that Taps was going to steal my catchphrases when you made your claim, AE, and I'm not sure that the rest of the ToO has recovered from this deepset sense of distrust. According to my calculations, Taps and Bookworm could potentially sue you for $427.66. (Plus $50.01 for inconveniencing the court, of course.)
Bookworm The floor is yours. What do you think?

And why would I have to pay AE for "Hurting his feelings?" If I said that's awesome, and then later somebody else said that would I really make them pay over 400 dollars just because I was insensitive? it doesn't make sense. *sits down*
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Taps wrote:And why would I have to pay AE for "Hurting his feelings?" If I said that's awesome, and then later somebody else said that would I really make them pay over 400 dollars just because I was insensitive? it doesn't make sense. *sits down*
So... it's okay to sue for "causing distrust", but it's wrong to sue for emotional damages? Your case gets thinner by the moment.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

He could sue because of distrust because this case effected his reputation all over town, not just in HH. This is a serious case, unlike someone's feelings getting hurt...
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This is quite a development. I was sure American Eagle would have accepted my very generous offer, in which case he would owe no one anything. Instead he opts to continue his baseless allegations and risks not only losing his original suit, but facing a countersuit, and possibly a lawsuit of his own on this new disturbance. Very interesting. But, it’s his money to lose.

Your honor, American Eagles ‘defense’ did nothing but prove my point. By his own admission the quote in question was not regularly used by him until March first of this year, yet I have presented indisputable proof it was used years before that.

American Eagle seems to suggest that my client is trying to usurp his ‘right’ to use the quote. This is not so. All we are doing is fighting a false claim that the quote belongs to any one person. American Eagle can still use the quote whenever he wishes, as can anyone else that would want to use it. This is a message board, words are free to everyone. Without words, we have no community.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Hugh Bald wrote:He could sue because of distrust because this case effected his reputation all over town, not just in HH.
Can you provide any such evidence? Sworn statements from before this trial began? Screenshots?

Simply saying, "People might not trust me anymore," is speculative, opinionated hogwash.

bookworm wrote:Your honor, American Eagles ‘defense’ did nothing but prove my point. By his own admission the quote in question was not regularly used by him until March first of this year, yet I have presented indisputable proof it was used years before that.
One doesn't need to be the first to use a phrase in order to copyright it. I'm sure the pre-historic men sat around their campfires singing "I'm lovin' it", while our founding fathers likely used "Just Do It" when needing the courage to fight for freedom.

I know I wasn't the first to use "This is an outrage!", but that doesn't change anything... legally.
bookworm wrote:This is a message board, words are free to everyone. Without words, we have no community.
I guess this is the heart of the matter. Is it truly illegal to copyright something online? That's a matter for Judge Moody.

Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

Argg... gone for a few days and the court house goes on like a mad house :x

*Bangs Hammer*

*Giggles*

*Bangs Hammer*

I have a verdict :x for Case 15: American Eagle vs Taps

I fine Taps NOT GUILTY :x because first, AE didn't copyright it!!! :x and second, even if he did, its kind of like drawing a picture of Mickey Mouse and posting it online :x ... Taps didn't do anything for money with that quote so he didn't violate anything. And no matter how "lame" it is to use someone else "quote," that is no valid reason to sue. CASE DISMISSED!!! :x

Oh and my Baliff SWA will take over since I need to "disappear" a few more days :-
Last edited by Parker Family on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Ahh, bookworm. The adventures between you and I shall never end. ;)

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Thank you your honor. In the interest of expediency in closing this dispute we choose not to countersue. As far as the defense is concerned, this matter is closed.

I was going to offer to represent whichever side may want my assistance in future lawsuits, but after further thought I think the way this court is structured it makes sense for the defendant to be the only one with a lawyer, if they choose to have one, because if the suit is valid the person doing the suing should be able to back up their claims themselves.
So, I offer my services as defense attorney of this court to anyone being sued in the future that doesn’t want to represent themselves. If you want my assistance please pm me.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I would like to sue Hitler for being a genocidal maniac. (Not to mention his hairstyle was waaay before his time.)
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

Pip wrote:I would like to sue Hitler for being a genocidal maniac. (Not to mention his hairstyle was waaay before his time.)
Calling Hitler to the stand :x
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I am suing Lee $15 for starting this thread http://thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&p=1007731#p1007502 without giving me any credit. She clearly got the idea from me.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

Knight Fisher wrote:I am suing Lee $15 for starting this thread http://thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&p=1007731#p1007502 without giving me any credit. She clearly got the idea from me.
I CALL LEE TO THE STAND :x HOW DO YOU PLEAD, O GUILTY? :x
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I am dropping the lawsuit. Too much work. And the death threats. :sniff:
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Are you people going to take this seriously or not. If you’re bringing a suit, don’t turn around and drop it. Also, there is already a backlog of cases that need brought before the court so if you file a real suit it won’t be heard yet.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I was fully planning on continuing it. But we settled out of court.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Yes, all is well with us. ;)

\:D/
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I would like to sue KF because he implied/inferred that I have lots of n00b posts: Exhibit A, your Honor.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

WW you left out the l in url. ;)
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Yeah I noticed that. ;)
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY