Protest!

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Protest!

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I think that bookworm should use more smily faces in his posts O:)
*insert provocative quote here*
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

That would be the end... I am actually crying right now. There are big tears running down my face. It can't happen! That would be like him changing his username. :sniff:
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don’t understand. I wasn’t aware that my use of smileys was inadequate. :-k
I use them whenever I feel they are appropriate.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Compare:
bookworm wrote:I use them whenever I feel they are appropriate.
vs.
bookworm wrote:I use them whenever I feel they are appropriate. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Compare what? The second one isn’t appropriate.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Yes, it is. \:D/

There's almost zero inappropriate places for the dancing smiley. \:D/

See? \:D/

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Not inappropriate that way, I know that smiley fits nearly anywhere. I meant that it changes the connotation of the message in a way that is inappropriate to the statement I was making.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

In other words, you rather sound mellow, instead of chippy? ;)

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

In that example I sounded factual, which was what I was being, instead of whimsical which would have worked, but wasn’t the effect I intended or wanted.
My smiley usage or nonusage attempts to keep the perception of my post by the reader consistent with the perception I meant it to have in writing it.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

bookworm is too serious :noway:

And that makes him no fun :(

NOW.

bookworm is too serious. That makes him no fun.

See? xD
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

If you’re directing that at me, yes of course I see. And I would use whichever of those was appropriate for the message I was trying to convey.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Half the time you're too serious, bookworm :p Smilies make everything MUCH better \:D/ If AE stopped using smilies. .I would go into denial.

And I cannot believe we're discussing appropriateness of smilies :anxious:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Peeta wrote:Half the time you're too serious, bookworm
That would depend on how you define serious. I have an excellent sense of humor, so I don’t consider myself a serious person in that way. What you seem to term ‘serious’ is my attention to clearly conveying my online messages, which I would see as a positive thing because with something as impersonal as the internet it’s never a bad thing to make sure people don’t take what you say the wrong way.
Peeta wrote:And I cannot believe we're discussing appropriateness of smilies :anxious:
Why not? It’s a very valid topic. We actually had this discussion in a recent communication class when we were going over nonverbal communication and perception.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Bookworm, you are WAY too serious. :shame:
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Again, it depends on what you mean by that.
If you mean I tend to be factual in my statements as opposed to allowing more room for interpretation of what I’m saying, then I would agree. But I would argue that isn’t being serious, it’s making sure that people understand my statements in the way I mean them to. And I do that very intentionally, so I don’t see it as a negative.
Woody

Post by Woody »

And stop using such big words! :shame:
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It’s not a matter of big words and small words it’s about choosing the words that properly convey your message, something else I do very intentionally.
Even in real life conversations, but especially over the internet where words are all you have, it’s important to do everything you can to make your meaning clear.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

This is amusing to read through. And does there have to be a black and white for usage of smilies? ;) To each his own!
American Eagle wrote:In other words, you rather sound mellow, instead of chippy? ;)
Smilies are like personality. If everyone had the same personality, where would Obama be today? o.O
Shakespeare wrote:And stop using such big words! :shame:
Big words...are cool. 8-)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Taps

Post by Taps »

Oh yes it is fun to read the verbal battle between AE and Bookworm, since both have completely different personalities. :D
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

And just think if all the girls acted like Marv. :eek!:
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.