*rant rant rant ran rant*

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

*rant rant rant ran rant*

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Short stories are extremely stupid. I like books; big, long 400+ page books that end in semi/total cliffhangers and don't actually end until you read at least one other 400+ page book. Once I was introduced to the wonders of chapter books I have never wanted to go back.
So when I tell people that my fantasy job is to be a writer, I mean that my fantasy job is to make people read a story that covers 800+ pages. I DO NOT MEAN THAT I WANT TO WRITE A STORY THAT IS 8 PAGES OR LESS. I cannot love short stories the way I LOVE my full length books, and trying to write them makes me want to smack my head against a wall-- a very thick, very hard wall.
I don’t care about my stupid characters. My stupid characters don’t matter, it’s the stupid story that’s important and your stupid rules about my stupid characters are getting in the way of my stupid story. If you’re going to make me go minimalist with my story then let my just kill of some of those stupid, unnecessary people from the very beginning so that I can get on with the point of the story.
Besides, why would you want to get attached anyway. What is the point of giving a short story character a name, when you know you’re not going to keep them. You take them in, name them, feed them, play with them, and then they die. (living happily ever after is just a positive way of saying, “They were happy until the day they died and now they’re dead.” ) This is the reason parents don’t want their kids to have dogs, why does it seem like a good idea in the literary world?!?!?!? :insane:

Okay, I'm done now. I just felt the need to clue everyone in on my feelings about short stories. I feel much better now that my tantrum is over, and I can begin to appreciate the irony of the fact that right after I said "Short stories are extremely stupid," I thought "I don't not like them Sam I am." The genius of Doctor Seuss is the acception to the rule. \:D/
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Short stories have their place in literature. They're not meant to have characters that you get too attached to, they're more about leaving a certain lasting emotion or message via a short transcript.
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

That's true. However, since the characters aren't, in some ways, that important to the story they tend to annoy me. I tend, on the rare occassions when I have written a short story, to have just one character. I rely more on the emotional elements in the setting to tell the story than on a real description of the character and his actions. If I'm allowed to do that, then I can write a pretting good little story, but when i'm forced to introduce more characters I feel like they detract and destract too much.
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

What's your opinion on short films?

Love Peace, Love music, Love life.
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Eh, I haven't really seen many short films. (And I've never had to try to create one, so I don't have any bad feeling attached to them in that way. The main reason I don't like short stories is because of how frustrating I find them to write.) Most of the short films I've seen are ment to be funny, so the whole thing comes across like a long joke.
AMDG

The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

Pirate Oriana wrote:Eh, I haven't really seen many short films. (And I've never had to try to create one, so I don't have any bad feeling attached to them in that way. The main reason I don't like short stories is because of how frustrating I find them to write.) Most of the short films I've seen are ment to be funny, so the whole thing comes across like a long joke.
I guessing the only short films you've seen are Pixar shorts:p Pretty much every short that i've seen, Pixar excluded, has not been a comedy. I don't really get the short story hate though, there have been many beautifully written short stories written...

Love Peace, Love music, Love life.
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Yeah, I don't REALLY hate short stories in general. I just haven't really read any that I've fallen in love with, and I don't like to write them. My brain just works better with longer stories.
AMDG

Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Read O. Henry stories. They're short stories which, while not perfect, are pretty good.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.