Bookworm thoughtfully ponders conundrums

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Why is there no synonym for synonym?
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Marvin D. wrote:Why is there no synonym for synonym?
This was already answered.
bookworm wrote:According to my thesaurus, the words ‘substitute’ or ‘replacement’ are synonyms of synonym.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

If I were to time travel fifty years into the past, find my grandparents and lock them up in separate prison cells, then travel one hundred years into the future and attain omnipotence, allowing me to run in more than one direction at once at unstoppable speeds, and after surpassing the speed of light I catch a glimpse of an infinite number of penrose staircases, each with an infinite amount of steps, and my omnipotence gave me the ability to count them, would my grandparents be dead?

That one's always bugged me.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Today is Opposite Day.

Opposite Day meaning that everything spoken has the opposite intended meaning as its definition.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jelly wrote:If I were to time travel fifty years into the past, find my grandparents and lock them up in separate prison cells, then travel one hundred years into the future and attain omnipotence, allowing me to run in more than one direction at once at unstoppable speeds, and after surpassing the speed of light I catch a glimpse of an infinite number of penrose staircases, each with an infinite amount of steps, and my omnipotence gave me the ability to count them, would my grandparents be dead?
Does the 100 year travel to the future occur directly from the 50 year travel to the past, so it ends 50 years from the present, or did you return to the present between the trips and begin counting again from there? Either way I don’t see why omnipotence would affect the situation, it’s simply a question of lifespan. And in either scenario, yes they would be dead, so it doesn’t really matter where the 100 year travel begins.
Let’s bring some numbers into the scenario to make it less abstract. Say your grandparents are, in the present time, 65 years old. You travel 50 years back, making them 15, and lock them up. If you travel 100 years from here, they will be 115 years old, and most likely dead. If you returned to the present between each time trip, the 100 year journey would make them 165 years old, and quite certainly dead.
The same result is reached for any age you insert into the scenario. The youngest your grandparents can be in the present is 51 because a 50 year travel back finds a being you are able to lock up. Taking the 100 year travel immediately from the past, the option that allows for the shortest time span to pass, makes the youngest they can be at the end 101. While people do occasionally reach this age, it’s far from the average life span, so it is to be assumed that they would have died.
This is all of course not even considering the time paradox that results from these actions. Because you locked them in separate cells at 15 years old, or even younger, depending on what numbers you use, it can be assumed that they had not yet given birth to your parents, and will never do so. Therefore the future you would not exist to travel to the past and lock them up in the first place. That would not change that 50 years from the present they would be dead however, that is purely a result of age.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

You ignored my conundrum. :(
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

bookworm wrote:
Jelly wrote:If I were to time travel fifty years into the past, find my grandparents and lock them up in separate prison cells, then travel one hundred years into the future and attain omnipotence, allowing me to run in more than one direction at once at unstoppable speeds, and after surpassing the speed of light I catch a glimpse of an infinite number of penrose staircases, each with an infinite amount of steps, and my omnipotence gave me the ability to count them, would my grandparents be dead?
Does the 100 year travel to the future occur directly from the 50 year travel to the past, so it ends 50 years from the present, or did you return to the present between the trips and begin counting again from there? Either way I don’t see why omnipotence would affect the situation, it’s simply a question of lifespan. And in either scenario, yes they would be dead, so it doesn’t really matter where the 100 year travel begins.
Let’s bring some numbers into the scenario to make it less abstract. Say your grandparents are, in the present time, 65 years old. You travel 50 years back, making them 15, and lock them up. If you travel 100 years from here, they will be 115 years old, and most likely dead. If you returned to the present between each time trip, the 100 year journey would make them 165 years old, and quite certainly dead.
The same result is reached for any age you insert into the scenario. The youngest your grandparents can be in the present is 51 because a 50 year travel back finds a being you are able to lock up. Taking the 100 year travel immediately from the past, the option that allows for the shortest time span to pass, makes the youngest they can be at the end 101. While people do occasionally reach this age, it’s far from the average life span, so it is to be assumed that they would have died.
This is all of course not even considering the time paradox that results from these actions. Because you locked them in separate cells at 15 years old, or even younger, depending on what numbers you use, it can be assumed that they had not yet given birth to your parents, and will never do so. Therefore the future you would not exist to travel to the past and lock them up in the first place. That would not change that 50 years from the present they would be dead however, that is purely a result of age.
My life is complete.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Take an infinitely large plane (2-dimensional frame of reference, not an aircraft) and divide it into infinitesimal rectangles. Would there be a mathematical value for the area of the plane?
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

T.S. (myself) wrote:You ignored my conundrum. :(
No I haven’t. I take them in order submitted, and generally answer them in individual posts, unless the response is pretty brief.
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

If Pinocchio said, “My nose is about to grow”, what would happen?
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

T.S. (myself) wrote:Today is Opposite Day.

Opposite Day meaning that everything spoken has the opposite intended meaning as its definition.
Unraveling this conundrum is essentially the same process as addressing this statement. The answer is either and/or both yes and/or no, depending on your personal preference.
By principle, it would be impossible to hold a genuine Opposite Day because the declaration of such a day must itself be taken oppositely, meaning the day in question was in fact not that day.

Whitty Whit wrote:Take an infinitely large plane (2-dimensional frame of reference, not an aircraft) and divide it into infinitesimal rectangles. Would there be a mathematical value for the area of the plane?
No. But not for the reason you may have been implying. Dividing the plane into rectangles doesn’t affect the area, because you calculate that from the dimensions of the whole surface. If I have a 10x20 plane and divide it into two 5x10 rectangles, the total area is still simply the area of the 10x20 plane. The reason your plane doesn’t have a mathematical area is because it doesn’t have any dimensions to run calculations on. You can’t put infinity through a formula.