They're out to get us!!

The Soda Shoppers are out to get us!

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
Joy
Lucid and deductive

They're out to get us!!

Post by Joy »

Most of you guys have heard of the message board, The Soda Shop. In the general discussion forum, there's a topic called "101 reasons why the Soda Shop is better than the ToO" A lot of the guys there don't seem to like us very much.

http://odysseyscoop.com/forum/index.php

Here's some of the reasons:
1. We have a much larger percentage of actual Odyssey posts than they do. They have more spamming posts than posts that relate to the entire point of their board.
2. We have less members, meaning we can get to know each other better.
5. You can flirt on here! Sometimes, this almost seems like a dating site.
7. Many of the posters really, really, really care about AIO.
9. You can delete a post here even if someone else has already posted.
11. I've noticed that we tend to be more active in greeting newcomers and welcoming people.
12. Our message board has been up and running, and theirs isn't right now.
13. We don't us the dancing smiley. Enough said.
14. This site is updated.

I've refuted quite a few of these.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

These people are crazy. :duh: See if I ever join their message board. :noway:
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

Woody wrote:These people are crazy. :duh: See if I ever join their message board. :noway:
Don't say that. They are good people, even if they judge a book by it's cover. And not all of them are like that. Definitely not.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Alright, but I'm still not joining another message board. I'm busy enough with this place. \:D/
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

1. We have a much larger percentage of actual Odyssey posts than they do. They have more spamming posts than posts that relate to the entire point of their board.
And that’s a bad thing how? We care about conversing with each other so much we don’t limit the topics. That’s a good thing.
Seriously? No other site in existence comes even close to the intimacy I see displayed here, whether it be the camaraderie of the oldbies during the Glory Days, or the genuine friendships seen in modern times. Our members meet each other in real life, our members sent flowers to a beloved member’s funeral.
How is that a point about which is better, one way or the other?
Just because we don’t exclusively discuss AIO doesn’t mean we don’t care about it.
That doesn’t make the site better, it’s just a feature difference. And one that goes against general internet practices at that.
11. I've noticed that we tend to be more active in greeting newcomers and welcoming people.
I don’t know what they do so I can’t compare the two, but I see our greeting of newbies as sufficient.
What? If they’re referring to server outages, that has nothing to do with the site, it’s the host.
Yes, enough said, because that seals the case for our site right there. This is the only place I’ve ever seen the dancing smiley, and that’s very unfortunate. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve wanted to use it elsewhere because it would be perfect, but couldn’t.
What does that even mean?
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

I think the 14th one meant the old look for unregistered users. He must not have looked in recently.
I mean no offense to the members of SS that are on here.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Joy wrote: 5. You can flirt on here! Sometimes, this almost seems like a dating site.
...okay? Big whoop.
Joy wrote:ard.
I'd beg to argue that one, there are definitely strong friendships on here, it doesn't matter how many people.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

On number 12, I think they meant that time when the ToO was down, and everyone was in chat. That is now null and void, because right now the SS is down, too. Plus, almost every site has to goes down at some point in time.
To do with with issue 2, since many members are not active on here, technically, they have more active members.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Joy wrote:5. You can flirt on here! Sometimes, this almost seems like a dating site.
Dear Soda Shop,
Please believe me when I say this: whenever I wish to flirt with people through a internet forum, I won't be heading over to you. Sorry.
Sincerely,
Musical Shutterbug
*insert provocative quote here*
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

Yay! We are acknowledged!

But seriously, I would like to quote myself on this:
It's not meant to encourage anything un-Christ-like, just to stir up a little friendly competition because everyone over there refuses to acknowledge our existence. ;)
This was never meant to be hurtful or anything of the sort, just to spark a friendly discussion. Now that you have an actual thread with old members vested in it, we can have a discussion between members of the different boards! If I had been to create a thread about the Soda Shop here, I sincerely doubt I would have received the attention this thread is commanding.

Now, I find it interesting how often I have read here the urge to never assume things. If any one you had spent time getting to know people over at the SS, you would know several things:

We do not actual consider ourselves better people than you. If you got this message, I apologize and take full responsibility for any consequences.

We are not always serious. Please do not take posts not made directly to you at face value. If I had posted any of these things here, I would have made sure you understood which reasons were sarcasm and which weren't.

The flirting reason was made by Pound Foolish. What he posted is a huge inside joke.

If any of you would like to seriously disscuss these reasons, I would be more than happy to do so!
Last edited by Tea Ess on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:
Joy wrote:5. You can flirt on here! Sometimes, this almost seems like a dating site.
Dear Soda Shop,
Please believe me when I say this: whenever I wish to flirt with people through a internet forum, I won't be heading over to you. Sorry.
Sincerely,
Musical Shutterbug
I laughed out loud.
I'm putting some of these on the topic.

T.S., I know that, and yes, I knew all of PF's stuff were jokes.
I'm going to blow this up bigger than it is, for fun. As in a small fake war. We mean nothing unfriendly, like you said, some competition. I'm going to have fun with this.
And I do believe that some of the reasons are real, putting aside PF's.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

bookworm wrote:
And that’s a bad thing how? We care about conversing with each other so much we don’t limit the topics. That’s a good thing.
We don't limit the topics. However, we still have a higher percentage of AiO posts, even though the topics are not limited.
bookworm wrote:
Seriously? No other site in existence comes even close to the intimacy I see displayed here, whether it be the camaraderie of the oldbies during the Glory Days, or the genuine friendships seen in modern times. Our members meet each other in real life, our members sent flowers to a beloved member’s funeral.
Yes, you have incredible relationships between individuals. SNC is well remembered here. I was awed by the reactions of many of your fine members.

I never explained this in detail, as I wanted each reason to be rather to the point. I was refferring to the message board as a whole, not individuals. I doubt that you know all of your members as well as I know our members. When someone has a problem, people know about it faster. Our small size may limit us in some areas, but in this regard it is an advantage.
bookworm wrote:
How is that a point about which is better, one way or the other?
This tells me that you have not spent much time over at our board. Five minutes with the right members and you would get it.
bookworm wrote:
Just because we don’t exclusively discuss AIO doesn’t mean we don’t care about it.
Sure it doesn't. But it does mean that you don't care about AiO as much as we do in this regard.
bookworm wrote:
That doesn’t make the site better, it’s just a feature difference. And one that goes against general internet practices at that.
Well, apparently someone saw it as an advantage. Much of this is simply opinion on our part, which we are entitled to.
bookworm wrote:
I don’t know what they do so I can’t compare the two, but I see our greeting of newbies as sufficient.
Sufficient, yes.
bookworm wrote:
What? If they’re referring to server outages, that has nothing to do with the site, it’s the host.
This was a joke derived from 'I broke the ToO'.
bookworm wrote:
Yes, enough said, because that seals the case for our site right there. This is the only place I’ve ever seen the dancing smiley, and that’s very unfortunate. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve wanted to use it elsewhere because it would be perfect, but couldn’t.
Interesting. You are perfectly entitled to this opinion. Know, however, that others may not share it. Even if your dancing smiley worked in your favor, would it really 'seal the case' for you?
bookworm wrote:
What does that even mean?
[/quote]

It means that we had a recent update.

Thank you for your post Bookworm, even though I anticipated it from the start. ;)

P.S. Joy, you are an admirable actor. Thank you. ;)

P.P.S. If we need more material, do you know how many ToOites have accounts that have never been used? Joy is the only ToOite who uses their account regularly. Snubs and Christian do occasionally.

P.P.P.S. I would like to point out I am not unfamiliar with ToO culture and history. I am knowledgeable about your board, and know a good deal about many of you. Could you say the same of us? How much do you know about our board?
Last edited by Tea Ess on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Joy wrote:On number 12, I think they meant that time when the ToO was down, and everyone was in chat. That is now null and void, because right now the SS is down, too. Plus, almost every site has to goes down at some point in time.
To do with with issue 2, since many members are not active on here, technically, they have more active members.
However, they are a newer site, and therefor will have more active members.

Most people are active when they first join, and then you just wait about a month or two to see if they continue posting.

As a newer site, they would obviously have more active members.

-- Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:26 pm --
Joy wrote:On number 12, I think they meant that time when the ToO was down, and everyone was in chat. That is now null and void, because right now the SS is down, too. Plus, almost every site has to goes down at some point in time.
However, they are a newer site, and therefor will have more active members.

Most people are active when they first join, and then you just wait about a month or two to see if they continue posting.

As a newer site, they would obviously have more active members.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Haha, this is rather amusing. \:D/
10. Out administrative team is by FAR hundreds of times better looking than the admin team over there.
Catspaw keeps her photos under lock and key, so trust me when I tell you that she's absolutely gorgeous. Word.
Dear Soda Shop,
Sincerely,
Musical Shutterbug
Uhh umm... hi... I mean, umm, how are you, shutterbug? :grineyes:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

American Eagle wrote:Haha, this is rather amusing. \:D/
10. Out administrative team is by FAR hundreds of times better looking than the admin team over there.
Catspaw keeps her photos under lock and key, so trust me when I tell you that she's absolutely gorgeous. Word.
Dear Soda Shop,
Sincerely,
Musical Shutterbug
I've seen Catspaw.

AE, FTW!

T.S., we're smaller than you. You guys are booming right now. Here, everyone knows everyone on a personal level. We've all talked, we all know each other. I could give you a list of almost all of the active posters, and it isn't huge.

I'll address more some other time, but right now I've gotta go.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

American Eagle wrote:
*warm winter parka* \:D/

Do they have inside jokes with as much longstanding history as we do?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

DanP740 wrote:
Do they have inside jokes with as much longstanding history as we do?
Uh, definitely not.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

American Eagle wrote:Haha, this is rather amusing. \:D/
Dear Soda Shop,
Sincerely,
Musical Shutterbug
:lol: that was good
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

This is what first came to my mind
Last edited by Graces4you on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

Another thing T.S. You say many ToOers signed up for SS, but never posted. The same is for some of you. The best part about the ToO is the people, and you don't get to know the people unless you're active.