Heads up!

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Heads up!

Post by Marvin D. »

*is on a topic creating spree. .*

The original "Heads Up!" thread.

In honor of what I did three years ago, I shall now bring it back and pose the question of the ages: why do people say heads up as opposed to heads down? Now, I have my reasons as to why it's said heads up, but I'd still like to see what YOU have to say! You can make it serious or hilarious, in prose or poetry, or whatever you wish. It must, however, be no longer than 250 words.

You have until December 9, 11:59 p.m. ET to submit your entries (multiple, if you wish.) First place will receive $10, second place $5, and third place $1!
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’ve actually thought about this before, because it does seem very counterintuitive.
The best explanation I can come up with is that they want you to raise your head and look around so you are aware of what is going on and can then take the proper action to avoid whatever the danger is. This would cover for most any circumstance. Because if you only said ‘heads down’ that would only work in a situation where ducking was in order. You would need something else to say in any other situation. I suppose whoever originated the saying just thought it was simpler to have one phrase to use any time.