Post Format Testing

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post Format Testing

Post by bookworm »

Thread for running tests on this phenomenon.

-- 10 May 2013 11:11 am -- -----------------------------------------------------------------

Copy of JCGJ's original text:

Code: Select all

[quote="bookworm"][quote="~JCGJ~"][spoiler]However, I don't believe it'd kill you to take two extra swipes with your scroll-wheel (or track pad, or whatever it is that you use) to get to the bottom of the page...[/quote]It also wouldn't kill you to compromise by putting it in a spoiler if you thought the whole post needed quoted :shrugs: Something to consider in the future.[/spoiler][/quote]

Yeah, well, I actually tried that first, but because there were so many spoilers in the original post, it just screwed it up... So I just left the whole quote.

But then, people started complaining, so I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to put the whole thing in spoiler code...

EDIT:

^^^This^^^

is why I don't like to mess around with quotes... It's just more trouble than it's worth. I spend 20 minutes just to save you 3 seconds of scrolling, and then it just gets all wonked up like this...

I don't even know what happened there. If someone wants to try and fix it, be my guest, because I've tried all I can think of...
bookworm wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:
However, I don't believe it'd kill you to take two extra swipes with your scroll-wheel (or track pad, or whatever it is that you use) to get to the bottom of the page...
It also wouldn't kill you to compromise by putting it in a spoiler if you thought the whole post needed quoted :shrugs: Something to consider in the future.[/spoiler]
Yeah, well, I actually tried that first, but because there were so many spoilers in the original post, it just screwed it up... So I just left the whole quote.

But then, people started complaining, so I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to put the whole thing in spoiler code...

EDIT:

^^^This^^^

is why I don't like to mess around with quotes... It's just more trouble than it's worth. I spend 20 minutes just to save you 3 seconds of scrolling, and then it just gets all wonked up like this...

I don't even know what happened there. If someone wants to try and fix it, be my guest, because I've tried all I can think of...

-- 10 May 2013 11:13 am -- -----------------------------------------------------------------

Looks fine in newToO.

-- 10 May 2013 11:20 am -- -----------------------------------------------------------------

In other themes, as listed here, it looks like this.
Will now attempt to cut out text to isolate the cause.

-- 10 May 2013 11:23 am -- -----------------------------------------------------------------

Trailing text cut to one sentence, for more manageable length:

[quote="bookworm"][quote="~JCGJ~"][spoiler]However, I don't believe it'd kill you to take two extra swipes with your scroll-wheel (or track pad, or whatever it is that you use) to get to the bottom of the page...[/quote]It also wouldn't kill you to compromise by putting it in a spoiler if you thought the whole post needed quoted :shrugs: Something to consider in the future.[/spoiler][/quote]

Edit:

I'll need a new post for this.
Last edited by bookworm on Fri May 10, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Woah, it happened here, too! O_O
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

To make it simpler to work with, I will attempt to recreate this anomaly with minimal text, instead of repeating JCGJ's.

[quote][spoiler]test[/quote]test[/spoiler]test
New post please, so I can see the affect on its own.
Woody

Post by Woody »

test
test[/spoiler]test
Last edited by Woody on Fri May 10, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

test
test[/spoiler]test
Woody

Post by Woody »

O_O
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Okay, that’s bizarre. This one doesn’t mess up the look on newToO, but it does mess up the content. This has two ‘test’ lines inside the spoiler, inside a quote box.
Woody

Post by Woody »

This is ~JCGJ~'s post fixed:

bookworm wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:
However, I don't believe it'd kill you to take two extra swipes with your scroll-wheel (or track pad, or whatever it is that you use) to get to the bottom of the page...
It also wouldn't kill you to compromise by putting it in a spoiler if you thought the whole post needed quoted :shrugs: Something to consider in the future.

EDIT:

^^^This^^^

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

And this makes the test work right:

test
test
test

[spoiler][quote]test[/quote]test[/spoiler]test
So it seems to be some parsing error or something that occurs when a quote’s opening and closing are interrupted by a spoiler.
Last edited by bookworm on Fri May 10, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Woody

Post by Woody »

So it's like HTML. You have to close the tags in the reverse order that you opened them.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Is that what’s happening?

Comparing the tags:

Original:

Fixed:

[quote="bookworm"][quote="~JCGJ~"][spoiler]However, I don't believe it'd kill you to take two extra swipes with your scroll-wheel (or track pad, or whatever it is that you use) to get to the bottom of the page...[/spoiler][/quote]It also wouldn't kill you to compromise by putting it in a spoiler if you thought the whole post needed quoted :shrugs: Something to consider in the future.[/quote]

Edit:

Ah, yes it is - good job Woody! :)
The closing spoiler needs to come before you close any quotes, because you started them before you started it.
Last edited by bookworm on Fri May 10, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woody

Post by Woody »

bookworm wrote:Is that what’s happening?

Comparing the tags:

Original:

[quote="bookworm"][quote="~JCGJ~"][spoiler]However, I don't believe it'd kill you to take two extra swipes with your scroll-wheel (or track pad, or whatever it is that you use) to get to the bottom of the page...[/quote]It also wouldn't kill you to compromise by putting it in a spoiler if you thought the whole post needed quoted :shrugs: Something to consider in the future.[b][/spoiler][/b][/quote]

Fixed:

[quote="bookworm"][quote="~JCGJ~"][spoiler]However, I don't believe it'd kill you to take two extra swipes with your scroll-wheel (or track pad, or whatever it is that you use) to get to the bottom of the page...[b][/spoiler][/b][/quote]It also wouldn't kill you to compromise by putting it in a spoiler if you thought the whole post needed quoted :shrugs: Something to consider in the future.[/quote]

And the difference is that in the original, the spoiler tag is closed outside of the quote in which it was opened. In the fixed version, the closing spoiler tag is inside the first set of quotes.
Last edited by Woody on Fri May 10, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This also appears correctly, right?

bookworm wrote:
~JCGJ~ wrote:However, I don't believe it'd kill you to take two extra swipes with your scroll-wheel (or track pad, or whatever it is that you use) to get to the bottom of the page...
It also wouldn't kill you to compromise by putting it in a spoiler if you thought the whole post needed quoted :shrugs: Something to consider in the future.

[spoiler][quote="bookworm"][quote="~JCGJ~"]However, I don't believe it'd kill you to take two extra swipes with your scroll-wheel (or track pad, or whatever it is that you use) to get to the bottom of the page...[/quote]It also wouldn't kill you to compromise by putting it in a spoiler if you thought the whole post needed quoted :shrugs: Something to consider in the future.[/quote][/spoiler]

Edit:

Well, depending on what you want to do. (Put the whole quote stack in a spoiler, or just one quote in the stack.)
Last edited by bookworm on Fri May 10, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Yes, it does.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Okay then, so to JCGJ (and anyone else) when working with stacked quotes you just have to pay attention to where one starts and the other ends, and make sure the spoiler is in proper relation to the quote(s) you want to hide.

In most cases, such as the one that started this discussion, there was only one quote, so it would be a simple matter of putting an open spoiler at the very beginning and a close spoiler at the very end. :)

Edit:

Or, you could also do what was done in the fix and put an open spoiler right after the open quote, and a close spoiler right before the close quote.
That simply changes whether you get this:
Jesus' Princess wrote:
Thanks to everyone for making this a fun term \:D/ I have a few awards to hand out, so let the ceremony begin!

First off, we have the You're Awesome! Award. Image

This goes to....
everyone who participated in a JPM event! To make sure that I don't miss anyone, if you participated in an event, please PM me and let me know :)

The next award that I have, is the VIP award.
This goes to...
All of the moderators for JPM's term! Thank you guys for all of your hard work!

We also have the Best Administrator Award,
which, contrary to popular belief, does not go to myself ;) No, this award goes to none other than...
Catspaw! She is a wonderful head admin, and it was a joy to work with her this term :)

And, last but certainly not least, we have the Just Practice More Awards! Image

We'll start off with the Audience Choice Award.
This was decided by you, the members!

In Third place, we have
JCGJ!
In Second place, we have
Laura Ingalls!
And, in First place, we have
Petrichor!

Now for the Judges Choice Award.

In Third place, we have
Cello girl!
I must say, your creative rendition of "Chopsticks upside down made me smile, and most definitely required you to Practice More! :) Congratulations!

In Second place, we have
JCGJ!
Lovely piece you played there :)

Which leaves us with first place. We have,
Laura Ingalls!
Your entry was very lovely! :)

That concludes the awards ceremony!
Or this:
Jesus' Princess wrote:Thanks to everyone for making this a fun term \:D/ I have a few awards to hand out, so let the ceremony begin!

First off, we have the You're Awesome! Award. Image

This goes to....
everyone who participated in a JPM event! To make sure that I don't miss anyone, if you participated in an event, please PM me and let me know :)

The next award that I have, is the VIP award.
This goes to...
All of the moderators for JPM's term! Thank you guys for all of your hard work!

We also have the Best Administrator Award,
which, contrary to popular belief, does not go to myself ;) No, this award goes to none other than...
Catspaw! She is a wonderful head admin, and it was a joy to work with her this term :)

And, last but certainly not least, we have the Just Practice More Awards! Image

We'll start off with the Audience Choice Award.
This was decided by you, the members!

In Third place, we have
JCGJ!
In Second place, we have
Laura Ingalls!
And, in First place, we have
Petrichor!

Now for the Judges Choice Award.

In Third place, we have
Cello girl!
I must say, your creative rendition of "Chopsticks upside down made me smile, and most definitely required you to Practice More! :) Congratulations!

In Second place, we have
JCGJ!
Lovely piece you played there :)

Which leaves us with first place. We have,
Laura Ingalls!
Your entry was very lovely! :)

That concludes the awards ceremony!
I personally would opt for the latter (spoilers at immediate start and end) because the other way would get confusing once you start working with quote stacks.)

A simpler example:

[quote][spoiler]text[/spoiler][/quote]
Gives you:
text

[spoiler][quote]text[/quote][/spoiler]
Gives you:
text
Last edited by bookworm on Fri May 10, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Woody

Post by Woody »

For some reason, those posts don't exist. >_>
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yeah, that server crash messed this up big time. I asked darcie to resync the thread, that should fix it.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I made sure the tags didn't overlap... I'm still confused...
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

But they did overlap. You put the close spoiler between the close quotes instead of before both of them.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I was pretty sure I put it like

[ quote ] [ spoiler ] *text text text* [ / spoiler ] [ / quote ]

No overlap...
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: