Bookworm And Kings Daughter Beat-Down Fight Day 2014

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Bookworm And Kings Daughter Beat-Down Fight Day 2014

Post by bookworm »

That’s right citizens, we’re once again approaching that grand day of friendly fighting!

A quick history lesson for new members.
Over the span of a few hours on the seventh of March 2012, bookworm and The Kings Daughter happened to appear on opposing sides of various discussions across a few different threads. Impressed by this concentration of debate, AE declared it the institution of a ToO holiday and last year it was intentionally observed for the first time.

This Friday, March 7th, will be the third celebration of Bookworm And Kings Daughter Beat-Down Fight Day or BAKDBDFD (pronounced ‘backed-buh-duh-fuh-duh’)!

TKD is not able to be online to celebrate on the actual date unfortunately, so the commemorative debate will be rescheduled. We will still have other festivities however!

The headline event this year will be a special interactive debate for the whole community. It will run all day, so people can jump in and out as they come by. More details on how it will work will be posted before it starts, this is just a notice so you can mark your calendars.

So remember, whether you want to participate or just spectate, come by on Friday to celebrate this site holiday!
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

This sounds like fun!!!!

*pouts* I'll only be for a couple hours in the morning/early afternoon though.
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Gonna hop in and debate oh ya
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Thank you for coming to celebrate another BAKDBDFD here at Unnamed Arena! :)
We’re about to get things started, please get your tickets punched and find a seat. Information on the main event will be provided shortly and then the festivities will begin.

Here is the layout for today:

*takes position at mike A to welcome people trickling into the auditorium*
shnoodlec
Tallying up

Post by shnoodlec »

YOU HAVE JUMBOTRONS?! Ooooh, I'll be there!
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. now enjoying an era of peace between the Monkeys and Vampires. permanent n00b. Q&A thread HERE. come find me on the ToO chat if you dare.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Finally! Apparently this was a bad date for daytime activity. I’ve been here all day, but no one else came by. I only have a half hour now, so I don’t think it’s even worth it, we couldn’t get anything much going. It appears this debate too will need rescheduled.
shnoodlec
Tallying up

Post by shnoodlec »

I'm here!
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. now enjoying an era of peace between the Monkeys and Vampires. permanent n00b. Q&A thread HERE. come find me on the ToO chat if you dare.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I think we'll give this another try this Thursday.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I will do my best to be there!
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Okay, let’s give this another go. Since we’re not on the date anymore it’s not imperative to stick to a schedule, so I’ll just start it and we’ll see how it goes. It can span a couple days if we want.

This is a much less formal or regulated event than the official celebratory debate, there’s no moderator or anything, it’s pretty much go with the flow and we’ll see what happens.

Here is the general idea:
  • Whoever wants to introduce a topic for debate will post it as a statement with two clear sides. For example: 'Coke is better than Pepsi'
    • I will take the opposite position of the posted statement ('Pepsi is better than Coke') and initiate the debate, giving reasons for my side.
    • The first poster will then engage the debate by giving reasons for their side.
    • At this time, anyone else following along may jump in on either side of the debate they wish, providing their own points and counterpoints.
  • When someone wants to introduce a new topic, they post it in the same manner as before.
    • The debate will immediately switch to the new topic, proceeding in the same manner as before.
There is no permission needed to throw out a topic, people can just post one whenever, but please use some discretion. We don’t want topic after topic coming in before any actual debate can develop on the current one.

There are a few possible logistic issues, such as two people posting at the same time, that could cause confusion onhere things stand, if they’re both setting a topic for example, or if one is posting on one topic while the other is changing the topic to something else, but that’s okay. When a new topic is posted the debate should immediately switch to it, but if you miss it don’t worry about it, you’ll figure it out when the page loads again. As I said, this is just go with the flow and have fun.
I have no idea how this is going to work out, and that’s the point. It’s very possible we’ll have some strings of incoherent posts from time to time, for example: Topic 1 is posted, I respond, Topic 2 is posted before anyone can counter, I respond to the new topic because the debate has to change leaving Topic 1 abandoned.

It’s just play along the best you can, don’t worry about doing something wrong because you can’t. There is no wrong here. The only thing that needs to be kept in mind is if you are going to throw out a topic you need to be prepared to argue in support of it. I’ll be taking the opposing side, you need to take responsibility for the supporting side. This is to ensure debate can be immediately engaged as soon as a topic is introduced.

I am positioned at mike A facing the bleachers, the topic setter will take mike B facing me, participants on my side will assemble on the left set of microphone stands and participants on the other side will assemble on the right set so the proponent of each side of the debate has their supporters on their respective right hand side.

We will begin as soon as someone provides the first topic. Have fun! :)
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

Is this to happen in this thread, or should a new one be started to contain the debates?
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Everything just goes in here :)
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

The Lord of the Rings books are better than the movies. *stamps foot and nods head*
~IrishTiger

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Lord of the Rings movies are better than the books because it’s way cooler to be able to actually see what’s happening than to have to imagine it all yourself. When it’s on screen you don’t have to come up with all the details of what the characters and locations look like because they’re shown to you. Also you don’t have any confusion about how to pronounce characters names because you can hear them being said.
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

I believe the LOTR books are better than the movies because you can use your own imagination while reading the adventures of the different members of the fellowship. I know I am often disappointed when characters in books are portrayed in a movie differently than how I was imagining them.
Also, the movies leave out some key information from the books that adds more depth to the history of Middle Earth (ex. more details about Aragorn's ancestors) and increases the complexity of the actions in the intriguing world of Middle Earth (ex. what happened in the Shire while Frodo was away).
~IrishTiger

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don’t believe your argument of disappointment with how the characters look is valid. It defeats itself. If everything is to be kept in the imagination, my vision of the characters would look different than your vision which would look different than the next person’s vision. The only person who knows what they really look like is Tolkien.

Your point of the movies leaving parts of stories out is valid, but I’m not sure it supports your claim of superiority. It’s a subjective opinion whether leaving parts out makes something better or worse. For example, I hold that the omission of Tom Bombadil makes that part of the movie better than the book.
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

Yes, seeing a movie based on a book is "way cooler" because you get to see the action, but when one's preconceived ideas of what a character looks like or how an action scene is viewed ends up being totally different from what is portrayed in the movie, it leads to disappointment.
bookworm wrote:It defeats itself. If everything is to be kept in the imagination, my vision of the characters would look different than your vision which would look different than the next person’s vision.
I'm not sure how that "defeats itself"...while having a common understand of how everyone looks is nice, whenever I read the books I enjoy having my own imagination come into play instead of relying on the character portrayals from the movie.
bookworm wrote:It’s a subjective opinion..
This whole debate is subjective. :P But, as for superiority, I'd rather have the full story as Tolkien intended it to be heard instead of the edited version Jackson gives us in the movies.

(I should add that, in reality, I view the books and movies as equals) :)
~IrishTiger

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m not disputing that disconnect can lead to disappointment, only that the disappointment is support for saying it’s not as good. The books can provide just as much disappointment, if a scene doesn’t turn out the way you had anticipated or hoped for example. So saying one version of the material causes disappointment does not mean it shows the other version is better.

It defeats itself because if you accept that different visions are okay then you must accept the movie’s visions, different than yours or not.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Arizona is better than Peace Tea.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Peace Tea is better than Arizona because it has a cooler name.