Is the ToO dead

Are youse looking for quality electronics at a fair price? Well, come on down to The Electric Palace where we have everything youse are looking for! While money can't be earned by posting here, youse'll find great deals on nonsense of all kinds. So what are youse waiting for? Join the conversations that just don't quite fit anywhere else!
Ryder
Catspaw Rocks!

Is the ToO dead

Post by Ryder »

So I've just made my annual return to the ToO and have found no sign of life :anxious:... Where'd everybody go???
Many thanks to her awesome Snubness for the super cool sig and avatar \:D/!
HEAR YE, HEAR YE! Our sixth football pool is now underway!!! Play it! PLAY IT NOW!!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Things have been SUPER slow.. and I'm not quite sure why. I haven't even been coming on every day (I actually forget to check here sometimes). I still go on the ToO chat though. I don't come around as often because there is nothing to check up on.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

We were waiting for you to get back so you didn't miss anything. What took you so long? :noway:
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Ryder
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Ryder »

I was in the bathroom :anxious: ...
HEAR YE, HEAR YE! Our sixth football pool is now underway!!! Play it! PLAY IT NOW!!
The Mysterious
I've been here a bit

Post by The Mysterious »

Yes, the ToO is in the WORST Condition among the 3 message boards.
Ryder
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Ryder »

3 message boards? What are the others?
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

The Mysterious wrote:Yes, the ToO is in the WORST Condition among the 3 message boards.
I would dispute that.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Wakko
Pilgrim

Post by Wakko »

T.S. (myself) wrote:
The Mysterious wrote:Yes, the ToO is in the WORST Condition among the 3 message boards.
I would dispute that.
Have you seen the other boards compared to the ToO lately? :- The CC's making a comeback, and the SS is also very active.
lImage
Wakko's some old creepy guy from the 1900's. - Paula
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

bobmac wrote:
T.S. (myself) wrote:
I would dispute that.
Have you seen the other boards compared to the ToO lately? :- The CC's making a comeback, and the SS is also very active.
From what I've seen, Campbell County's activity seems to spike up at different times, but overall I would classify it as much more vulnerable than the ToO, especially because of the threat of it closing. I haven't actually been keeping track of the posts on the CC, but I would imagine that there are still less on a daily basis than on the ToO.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Wakko
Pilgrim

Post by Wakko »

There was a huge shortage of posting on the CC for a quite a few months, but it has more active members now. There really aren't too many active posters on the ToO. I'd say the ToO's just as vulenerable as the CC is, there aren't any events, few posts per day, even the admins/mods aren't very active. The potiential closing was only because it was basically dead, but with the threat of closing new people seemed to come, and tons of posts per day were made. I disagree I'd say currently the CC is averaging in about 20-25 posts a day, and the ToO is maybe 10-15. Also not trying to hate on the ToO I just think it's dying. :/
lImage
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

bobmac wrote:not trying to hate on the ToO I just think it's dying. :/
This statement has been made many times over the past several years, yet we are still here. Can we put this to rest now?
There is a significant difference between decreased activity and site death. The ToO is not and probably will never be dying. It is currently, has been in the past, and will be again, in a period of lessened activity compared to normal levels. Is it a sign the end is coming or there is some other major problem? No it isn’t. It’s called being a message board. Activity cycles; it’s natural.

Also, I believe the current lull appears falsely severe as there is always an activity dropoff during the summer. This year that just happened to occur in conjunction with an overall drop in activity, making it more apparent than usual. It’s only temporary. We’re not going anywhere.

Also, this should be in the Steps, not HH.

Also (last one), it made me chuckle that a member who comes by for three to five weeks out of the entire year is commenting on lack of activity.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

^this. *pushes the imaginary like button*

You must also remember that many of our most active members(such as myself) have just started school. I myself have had a particularly busy month due to a recent move and a current construction project, in addition to overall busyness and school. Lately I've only been able to check the ToO once a day, at most. But in 1-2 months, I will be back to posting as usual. As to no events, that's thanks to the lack of a Mayoral Team, which will hopefully be eradicated within the next month or two(When is the next election, anyways?).
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Wakko
Pilgrim

Post by Wakko »

bookworm wrote:Also (last one), it made me chuckle that a member who comes by for three to five weeks out of the entire year is commenting on lack of activity.
I've actually been on here for a year or two, I just never made an account until recently. Also, I get on daily just never log in. xP
lImage
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I was actually referring to Ryder, the original poster. He comes by for the first few weeks of football season each year, then disappears until the next one.

-- 04 Sep 2014 03:06 pm --
bobmac wrote: I'd say the ToO's just as vulenerable as the CC is, there aren't any events, few posts per day, even the admins/mods aren't very active.
Each of these points can be easily refuted, thus my belief that the unique situation we are currently in is not an accurate appearance of activity or lack thereof and should not be held as one.

There aren’t events because there is not a regular Administration team currently in place. Everyone knew there would be no events this Term.

There are few posts per day because there are few posters per day, due to a perfectly natural low activity cycle as I already mentioned.

The admins/mods aren’t active because they aren’t active members! This moderator team is composed of people who literally haven’t been active in years. That was an intentional choice, as a throwback to our history. It was not expected that they would suddenly spring back to life.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I sprang back to life but broke my hip. :(
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Ah yes, I was waiting for this topic to make its annual appearance. \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

"He's dead. Dead, dead, dead." I just love Bartok the bat from the animated version of Anastasia. That's what this thread reminded me of. \:D/

Anyway...the ToO is slow, but as others have pointed out, that isn't quite the same thing as dead. Especially not when true love is involved! :yes: The ToO is what brings us together today. The first person to post what movie I am alluding to in this paragraph gets $20 and the pride of a job well done and a life well lived. \:D/

But hey, if you think this place is a little slow, you are right, and you can consider being part of the solution by posting more! Unless you are in school and you are using the ToO to avoid your homework. In that case, go do your advance reading and prepare for the chance of a pop quiz. :x
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:Anyway...the ToO is slow, but as others have pointed out, that isn't quite the same thing as dead. Especially not when true love is involved! :yes: The ToO is what brings us together today. The first person to post what movie I am alluding to in this paragraph gets $20 and the pride of a job well done and a life well lived. \:D/
Has to be Princess Bride I would think. \:D/
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Catspaw wrote:But hey, if you think this place is a little slow, you are right, and you can consider being part of the solution by posting more!
\:D/
Catspaw wrote:Unless you are in school and you are using the ToO to avoid your homework.
:anxious:
Catspaw wrote:In that case, go do your advance reading and prepare for the chance of a pop quiz. :x

:mope:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Anyway...the ToO is slow, but as others have pointed out, that isn't quite the same thing as dead. Especially not when true love is involved! :yes: The ToO is what brings us together today. The first person to post what movie I am alluding to in this paragraph gets $20 and the pride of a job well done and a life well lived. \:D/
Has to be Princess Bride I would think. \:D/
We have a winner! \:D/ Your prize is on it's way.
Amethystic wrote:
Catspaw wrote:In that case, go do your advance reading and prepare for the chance of a pop quiz. :x

:mope:
:yes: