[ 19 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: 00: Introductory Material
Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:25 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,960.83
Bank: 1,958.31
Use this thread to discuss all the material that comes before the album-specific information, which encompasses pages xi to 65. This includes:

Acknowledgements - page xi
    Introduction - page 1
    How Adventures in Odyssey Began - page 5
    Meet the Cast - page 23
    Meet the Crew - page 51

My personal thoughts:

Acknowledgments

A book of this size obviously is the work of more than one person! All of the comments are appropriately kind! I am tempted to suggest that they book actually weighs more than a bowling ball, but hey, I haven't been bowling recently. ;)

Introduction:

Nice introduction by Nathan Hoobler! Cute picture on page 2. :lol: It was nice and informative, but not too long. I enjoy reading introductions, so I actually wouldn’t have minded if it was a bit longer, but I know that with so much information to cram into the book, a long-winded introduction wouldn’t be appreciated by all!

How AIO Began:

Let’s start at the very beginning, a very good place to start… *stops singing when the neighbour’s dog starts howling along * I really enjoyed the long interview with Steve Harris! The timeline is really cool – personally, I find it hard to keep things in sequence sometimes, so this is an easy way to flip through and find some significant events in AIO history. I found it funny to note that the first FOTF radio drama to air featuring Hal Smith aired the year that I was born, and I’m older than a lot of fans! The timeline makes me realize just how long I’ve been a fan, when I see episodes from 1994 and 1995 referenced that I remember being so excited to hear, and those were nowhere near the first episodes that I heard! I remember getting the old Complete Guide for Christmas in 1997 and reading through it and spouting off tons of stuff that I learned, and I’ve still used it as a resource for the last decade – I had forgotten how old the old Guide really is! Wow, I feel really old right now. ;) And the “Live at the 25” episode from July 2002 – I distinctly remember reading about the anniversary event and begging my parents to go, and seeing that live taping was so fabulous! Seeing Walker Edmiston perform live is more meaningful now that he’s gone (but never forgotten!) and just the other day and I my sister and I were laughing about one of the lines that (unless I forgot) didn’t make it to the released version of the episode, where Tom kept saying, “refri…refrig…ice box,” like he just couldn’t spit out the word refrigerator and had to replace it with a more old fashioned word. :lol: So fun! And during the question and answer time they had him improvise a conversation between Tom and Bart in real time, and he was so funny! I’m taking a while making my way through the Guide because it keeps bringing back so many good memories from my childhood and even more recent years. AIO has been, and continues to be, a huge part of my life, and looking through the Guide is reminding me of that. Just for that alone, it would be worth it, but all the cool information is good too. ;)

It’s so cool to be reminded that some treasured AIO cast and crew members were part of this from the very beginning – Chuck Bolte and Hal Smith are iconic figures when I think about my Odyssey memories, and they were both involved before anything close to Odyssey as we know it was created, and as the live show so recently showed, Chuck Bolte is still involved at times. The history is a sign that God was, and is, at work! Steve Harris’s references to the stories that Hal Smith told on page 7 makes me hope that more of those memories will be referenced later on in the book! The story on page 120 from Dave Arnold is a good example of a story that makes Hal Smith sound like somebody we all wish that we could have known.

Some of the information has been previously released – reading the stuff about Steve Harris’s memories about finding Whit’s name on pages 18-19 is one example. I could hear it being said in my head as I was reading it, because I know it’s part of audio bonus information from somewhere. I want to say that it’s from the bonus track on the single CD release “500” but I don’t trust my memory enough to say for sure. It’s fine – I know that just because I recognize it doesn’t mean that every other person on the planet has, and reminders never hurt, but it was just something I noticed.

Am I just forgetful, or is the info on naming the town and naming Whit’s End new information?

Meet the Cast:

I really enjoyed reading all the brief actor interviews! Very fun. I think it’s kind of funny what was chosen to list under the credits part, though – for example, under Will Ryan, it lists him as the voice of Papa Bear in “Looney Tunes: Back in Action.” I haven’t seen the movie recently, but once I watched it purposely waiting for his character and he only has a couple lines. It’s a movie name that more people have heard of, but it’s not like he’s a prominent character. I particularly loved Will Ryan’s answer to the question of “What is your favourite word?” on page 25. :lol: I’m guessing that he came up with that question himself so he could set himself up for the answer. Too fun! Unless whoever came up with the questions (Nathan Hoobler, maybe?) just knew the cast well enough to know that the question would go over well, since Dave Madden answers it as well on page 27! (Okay, I’ve read even more interviews now and see lots of people have answered that question, so I guess Will Ryan probably didn’t come up with it, but his answer is still my favourite!) I love imagining hearing him reading it in my mind, because it sounds just like him, which really sounds just like Bernard! :lol: Like Dave Madden, I also never get upset. O:) I haven’t longeved as long as he has, though. :( I’d be interested to know if Alan Young was kidding about the scuba diving on page 28 – good for him if he does at his age! Though if he really was 13 only 15 to 20 years ago (or so ;)), perhaps pictures just make him look older than he really is. ;) Ooo, I’ll have to figure out how to pronounce Townsend Coleman’s favourite word on page 29 and start using it! That would be fun. At the live show in 2002, he has a grey ponytail. In the second picture, it looks like he still has it! Good times. And while we’re on the subject of hair, Jess Harnell is on page 30 – nice segue! ;) I love his multi-talented voice, and based on my time at the live show the other week, he seems wonderful! Watching him do the Wooton voice and snort was so fun, because he seemed to really be having a great time doing it! Yay for Corey Burton loving “Top This!” in his answer on page 31! That’s such a funny episode. AIO has so many talented actors – it’s just amazing! They didn’t mention that Jerry Houser was in the McGee and Me! Movie “In the Nick of Time” – I’m quite shocked and horrified! Good times. Ooo, I have to look out for the episodes of “Seinfeld” that Mark Christopher Lawrence was in, since I do watch the show sometimes. I saw a Disney Channel original movie with him as a dad once – that was cool! I seem to recall there being two different spellings of Maggie Malooly’s last name in the old Guide, but here it’s shown this way more than once, so I’m going to assume that this is the correct way on pages 42-43. Okay, looking at the index of my old Guide, her last name is listed as “Malloy.” I don’t know if I realized that she played Fiona in “Thank You, God” – very cool!

One thing that I would like to see is dates on pictures – we really don’t know how recent any of the pictures are. I can understand not putting dates on all individual shots, but even the group shots on pages 49 (cast) and 50 (crew) don’t list the year they were taken.

Meet the Crew:

So many good interviews! I just realized how much I went on and on in the cast section, so I’m trying not to do that here. All the different stories about how people came to work for AIO are really interesting – they’re all different, but all examples of God working I find it interesting how many people mention Wooton as a favourite. He really is ridiculously lovable! I had to laugh at Kathy Buchanan’s wish that she could look at good as Connie in green stretch pants on page 61. :lol: I think that many of us would echo that sentiment. ;) I found it amusing to read Nathan Hoobler’s interview on pages 61-62, both with his answer to the other job question and my personal imagination – I can see him e-mailing himself the questions, or even writing himself into a time slot for a personal interview! :lol: Yes, I need help. I’m aware of that.

All of the intro material was very interesting and well worth reading! I can’t believe that I wrote this much about my thoughts on it, and this was with me trying to restrain myself! I look forward to reading the thoughts of the rest of you on the intro material! :D

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:58 pm 
Dungeon Master

Cash: 65.80
Bank: 933.17
I'm crawling--literally--through the book. What little I've read I've liked though. My favorite cast interview so far has been Gabriel's answer to "what's your favorite word?" I get the feeling that he and Lawrence have something in common.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:52 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

Cash: 0.00
One of my favorite bits in the whole book is this response...
Bob Luttrell wrote:
Q: If you could have another job, what would you do?
BL: I'd be a mattress model in a department-store window.

Seems all the writers and sound guys were trying to top each other for the funniest lines... all the more fun for readers!

peace,
-king shasta

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:52 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

shasta wrote:
One of my favorite bits in the whole book is this response...
Bob Luttrell wrote:
Q: If you could have another job, what would you do?
BL: I'd be a mattress model in a department-store window.

Seems all the writers and sound guys were trying to top each other for the funniest lines... all the more fun for readers!

peace,
-king shasta

To me, that was the saddest part of the whole book. :( After all, if Bob Luttrell and I were in competition for the job, he would win based on his many more years of experience. Alas...my dream career will never be realized. :(

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:27 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

Catspaw-You had a lot of good comments there. Now prepare because I have a lot to say on the subject too!

I still remember when I first read this book. When I was volunteering in my favorite department at Focus on the Family I noticed that my supervisor had a copy of the book in spreads on her desk and I couldn't resist looking at them. Since they were looking for something for me to do they asked if I would want to read the book. I got to confabulate (that is a cool word isn't it, just looked it up on dictionary.com) with Nathan Hoobler about certain parts that I wasn't sure about and I also had the priveledge of reading in the war room, rummaging through the script drawer and verifying information off of any medium I wanted to use! Of course I was so sad when I had finished reading the whole book. . . but a couple weeks later I found that I was on the acknowledgments page! I was shocked! Does anyone want to take a guess of which person I am?

Now that I have actually gotten a copy of the book, I have been reading it through the graphic designer goggles instead of the Odyssey fan goggles. The timeline was OK but there were some issues I had with it to where you don't know where to start reading and it continues on for several pages and you have to read through "How Adventures in Odyssey Began" and then go back to "Timeline: The Abbreviated History of Adventures in Odyssey". One of the issues with the book was that it printed darker than it was supposed to. When I was reading several pages of drafts it came out a lot lighter than it is in the book. One of the other things that annoys me is the placement of the Whit's End that you see on page 6 and again on page 20. The one on page 6 looks a little stretched to me. One of the other things that drives me insane is the larger than life picture of Aubrey Shepard on page 17. Is there a reason this is included here? Is she even mentioned anywhere in the proximity of page 17?

OK, I think that is all the negative stuff about that. On page 23 this is the funniest story. Somehow my book got passed around with the belief that it was Chris Anthony's book so I got a lot of signatures for Chris in my book. This will stay close to my heart, Chris wrote me a note apologizing for the confusion in whose book was whose.

So now I shall address some of the information Catspaw wrote:

1. I love the Brittish spelling you use on words like "favourite". Reminds me of the episode "Taming of the Two" where Bart does this commercial for the electric palace we're switching to the metric system to hono(u)r the Brittish.

2. Don't feel bad about being old. You're not the only one. I didn't start listening to Odyssey until I was at least 18. I really regret not listening to Odyssey when I was younger.

3. Spizerinctum is a very special word indeed. I remember asking Nathan one time if that was a real word and what it meant. It is a noun for a very tacky Christmas tree ornament. You can hear Townsend making a joke about this word from the episode "Exit" where Whit is telling Tom to type in the word applesauce into the imagination station. It goes like this:

Townsend: Hey Paul instead of the word Applesauce how 'bout
using the word spizerinctum

Paul: I will not!

Townsend: Type in spizerinctum

It is really funny. I can't seem to remember which episode it is but start with "500", "Inside the Studio" or "Live at the 25" I know it's in there somewhere.

5. Maggie Malloy- I actually got to photocopy a permission slip from her. The permission slip was for allowing Focus on the Family to use her name and at the bottom she had a correction of how her name is spelled so it is correct in the book.

6. "Yes, I need help. I'm aware of that." No you're OK. You don't need help. If you need help then I need help because I'm as much of a fan of Adventures in Odyssey as you are.

Thank you so much for reading my insights. I know how long it was.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:21 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Wow, thanks for sharing your thoughts, Amy - you have a different perspective than many of us, since you got to see it early and notice things like it being printed darker - very interesting! I had no idea that spizerinctum was a word - I'll try to work it into my vocabulary by this coming Christmas! :D It sounds like either both of us or neither of us needs help, Amy - we can just go with whatever we prefer. ;)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:45 pm 
I love the ToO!

Cash: 652.78
They put pictures of all the actors with the interviews
except Gabriel.Wonder why?

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:31 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

It's obvious that they forgot a lot more than Gabriel there. There are hundreds of people who have done Odyssey and some of them haven't been put in the introductory material either. I guess Lawrence Hodges just isn't a very important character. But don't get me wrong I love Lawrence. Who could resist a cute boy who thinks that a pizza delivery guy is an agent for destructo?

I would also like to take note. I gave the wrong definition for spizerinctum. I don't know how I got the impression that it was the definition for tacky christmas ornament but it actually means energy or vitality. I'm sorry about that.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:01 am 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 39.64
Bank: 660.73
You don't know how long I've been peeking into this forum, watching the number of replies go up, and wanting so badly to pour through the many threads! But I restrained myself because I hadn't yet read the book. Because of the hectic stress/busyness of school this semester, I barely cracked open my copy of the Guide until I started my Christmas break. I didn't want to start it until I had the time to fully devote to it, without all those annoying distractions creeping in. ;) And it's a good thing, too, because not only is the Guide hard to put down, but I ended up writing very lengthy reviews on small sections of the book.

It all started when I was traveling home for Christmas. I was in the Denver airport, fondly remembering my last visit to Colorado... and I had The Official Guide with me. No sooner had I gotten on the plane than I whipped out my notebook and began reading and writing vigorously. I proceeded in like fashion almost nonstop from Denver to Sacramento... and I didn't even get to the Introduction! I have four handwritten pages on just the cover, the back page, the Table of Contents, and the Acknowledgments page! When I got home, I was so excited to be able to start reading in this forum... only to realize that I had another 60 pages before I could read this very thread! :thud:

Thankfully, my later reviews weren't quite so wordy... though reading what I wrote on the airplane makes me smile. As I was writing it, I determined that I would post every word of it on the ToO - I even included handwritten depictions of smileys and the BBCode so everything could easily translate I've gone back and forth on whether to actually post all of it - especially since I sound like a gushing fangirl most of the time - but... I think I will. :anxious:

I'll be starting in the Misc. Comments thread with my thoughts on the front and back covers (in case you want to read it in all its chronological goodness ;)).

Disclaimer: The following was written during a time of great happiness and little sanity.

~*~

12/11/08
?? - MST

Pre-Introduction

- On the second page, with all the characters celebrating in all their black-and-white glory (the one where it says "by Nathan Hoobler and the Adventures in Odyssey team"), Will Ryan drew a little "talking-bubble" coming from Eugene that says, "Whoa!" Aww, awesomeness! \:D/

*Copyright Page*
- Nathan Hoobler was born in 1979, Nathan Hoobler was born in 1979! \:D/ Oh wait, I already knew that. :anxious:
- Yay, illustration credits! Now I can figure out who many of the Odyssey artists have been!

- "To Mark Drury, for starting my adventure." Hmmm, I wonder what the story is there. And I wonder if this question will become moot in a few pages.

- Table of Contents. Nice, nice. No surprises here, but I'm glad to see that the videos (and even the books) receive only cursory attention. That's how it should be; Adventures in Odyssey is a radio drama, through and through. And I'm rather excited for the Collector's Checklist. :D

- Ooh, that's an old picture (across from the Acknowledgments Page)!

*Acknowledgments*

-This made me smile, and feel very appreciative of all the people, time, and work that went into the making of this book. Thank you all. But especially...

- "Dave Arnold, Marshal Younger, and Paul McCusker: That definitely increases my already-strong desire to intern/work at Focus. I need to think and pray about this...
- Josh Shepherd: I finally know who that is! ;)
- To Sam Bailey, Sarah Benson, Tiffany Carter, Jacob Isom, Ruthie Kreidler, J.B. Lewis, Chris Poon, Elisa Poon, Jonathan Schultz, Susan Squires, and Corey van der Laan: Oh Sarah! Oh Chris (:inlove:/;))! Oh Jonathan! Oh Susan! Oh Corey (:inlove:)! Oh everyone-else-I-did-not-meet-but-love-if-only-for-their-Odyssey-attachment. All the same, it was great meeting those of you that I did meet... though I wish I'd gotten your autographs. :( Oh well, there's always next time! :D
- To you, the reader: Why thank you! I shall read every word of it, and with great gusto and joy!

- Thank you so much for writing this book, Nathan! I'm sure I'll have some words of gratitude to share when I've finished reading it too, but I have to say them at this, the outset, too. I'm sure it must've been wonderful delving deep into the behind-the-scenes of this most beloved show - and very rewarding - but I'm also sure that there must've been hard times too. On behalf of fans everywhere, thank you for putting your heart and soul into this book... for giving us such a treasure. And thank you to everyone else who came alongside Nathan and helped make it happen.

One of Thomas Jefferson's more troubling quotes:

"To the corruptions of Odyssey, I am indeed opposed, but not to the genuine writings of Nathan himself. I am a fan, in the only sense in which he wished any one to be; sincerely attached to his writings, in preference to all others'; ascribing to himself every human excellence, and believing he never claimed any other... I am a real fan, that is to say, an aficionado of the writings of Nathan, very different from the Paulists, Marshalists, or Philists, who call me infidel, and themselves fans and spokesmen of Adventures in Odyssey, while they... [espouse] heathen mysteries beyond the comprehension of man, of which Nathan, were he to return to the boards, would not recognize one feature."

- On wow, that's a lot funnier than I thought it would be! I was only going to use the first part of the quote (starting with "I am a fan..."), and it was going to be about Adventures in Odyssey in general, but as soon as I hit the first "he," it all changed. And I sound like a die-hard-crazy-but-eloquent fangirl! Haha, that's great! :lol: And apologies to Thomas Jefferson... I knew that research paper was good for something! :D

7:15 PM - PST

~*~

Wow. Well, there you go! I think it's obvious which words in the above "quote" I switched with others. ;) And I'll post my thoughts on the rest of the introductory material later.

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:33 am 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

:lol: Lizzie, I'm totally loving reading your thoughts! This is great. The insane 'you' is a lot of fun. Also, since you know the way that I feel about Chris, I think it's very rude of you to flaunt your love for him in front of everyone. :(

Fangirls forever! \:D/

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:52 pm 
Radio Station
Radio Station

Cash: 43.77
Bank: 0.00
Page x: When was that picture used? I've seen that picture once or twice on the AIO Wiki, so I know that girl is Connie...

Page xii (or 0): Is that invention the Imagination Station? I remember the phone-booth Imagination Station of yore.

Pages 6-13: I like the timeline representation! It makes understanding the chronological order so much easier.

Page 18: Is Chris wearing just a regular brooch, or is that some kind of pass or badge that allows her to get to the recording studio? I'm not in the industry, but I've read about behind-the-scenes stuff where the crew and actors have to have special badges to get in, to keep out tourists, paparazzi, etc.

Page 20: "Secret Rooms at Whit's End." I always thought the tunnel in "Hold Up!" is the same one as in "The Underground Railroad." Is there a characteristic that makes them different from each other?

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:11 pm 
Former Mayor x1

Cash: 475.10
Blog: View Blog (1)
In the listings for Marshall Youngers credits, they forgot voice of Young Jack Allen ans Officer Berk

Offline Profile E-mail Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:08 pm 
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)
grins bigly. Grins are contagious, you know! =D

Cash: 137.50
Jonathan wrote:
I'm crawling--literally--through the book. . . .

Same here. I just got the Guide for Christmas and haven't gotten very far yet. =P

I really loved what I have read of it. The history was really interesting! I didn't know that was how Odyssey started. :anxious:

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:44 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

KODY 105 wrote:
Page x: When was that picture used? I've seen that picture once or twice on the AIO Wiki, so I know that girl is Connie...

Page 18: Is Chris wearing just a regular brooch, or is that some kind of pass or badge that allows her to get to the recording studio? I'm not in the industry, but I've read about behind-the-scenes stuff where the crew and actors have to have special badges to get in, to keep out tourists, paparazzi, etc.

I have a vague recollection of that picture being part of the artwork of one of my old albums, but since I'm a few hours away from them right now, I can't check to see for sure. Somebody else who as in Colorado can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Katie Leigh think that the girl was Lucy, not Connie? I think it is supposed to be Connie, but it seems to be a matter of opinion.

That looks like a regular brooch to me - the hair suggests that this is an older picture, when such jewelry would have been more popular than it might be now. (a.k.a the '80s, before a lot of you were born and before I have any real memories). ;)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: 00: Introductory Material
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:14 pm 
I'm as fancy as Penguin!
i bpraiseach ceart

Cash: 449.10
Bank: 1,054.24
Blog: View Blog (2)
Just reading these comments has made me want to whip out my own copy! I have to agree that the huge picture of Aubrey kinda freaked me out, but other than that, I think it's all just perfect! I looove the timeline, I really like having things abbreviated and set out really clearly. Heh,actually it's kinda funny, because I read the tops of the pages but not the timeline, telling myself I would come back and read it after I had finished reading the whole history. But I kept reading and forgot about it until I had finished the guide, so then I got to go back and read that part last. =]

Offline Profile  

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:15 pm 
Springer from Odyssey
misses "Spam-Happy Spammonger!"

Smaug the dragon wrote:
Just reading these comments has made me want to whip out my own copy!

Yeah, if you're going to buy an album or the book, buy the book. \:D/

Unless it's album 2 or 25. :anxious:

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:45 pm 
I love the Town Council!
Anger is one letter away from Danger, coincidence? I think not!

Cash: 25.34
Bank: 52.90
I liked the cast section, and how it has the different voices of the characters they had done in the past. Its really interesting to see all the voices the different people have done.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:51 pm 
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!
"Fireproof doesn't mean the fire will never come. It means when the fire comes that you will be able to withstand it."

Cash: 139.65
Bank: 1,510.92
In the Cast Section Katie Leigh said she would never wear green legings. I wonder if that's why Connie now is shown wearing jeans.

Offline Profile  

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:07 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

That's an interesting observation! She might have influenced their decision to give poor Connie some new clothes!

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 19 posts ]