[ 13 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: 05: Daring Deeds, Sinister Schemes
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:03 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 4,904.33
Bank: 1,958.31
Use this thread to comment on the information regarding the fifth album of Adventures in Odyssey! \:D/ This section starts on page 105.

It’s cool that Digger Digwillow’s name was partially inspired by Digory from C.S. Lewis’s “The Magicians Nephew.” I hadn’t made that connection in the past, but it is nice to learn.

Page 110 – date under a picture of Nathan Carlson! Yayness!

The Goof Alert on page 110 is funny to me because I never noticed – maybe it was because I listened out of order or because I’m not always that observant, but it had never stood out to me that Eugene calls Connie by her first name in “A Bite of Applesauce” but is more formal later on. :anxious:

On page 111 under “BTS: Eugene’s Dilemma” I found the early script process to be very interesting! That would have been a different take on the episode, but I can see it being a really cool episode that way as well!

Page 112 - “Goof Alert!” – I personally prefer the explanation provided. It isn’t a goof, unless you count Whit accidentally referring to a previous incident that is so top-secret that he is not at liberty to share any details. :noway: That’s a more intriguing way to explain it, in my opinion! You just never know with that crazy Whit!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:32 pm 
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author
Bone Marrow Transplant Registered Nurse

Cash: 228.66
Blog: View Blog (13)
Again, I'm agreeing with Catspaw.

Page 110: W00t! Biggest fan ever of Nathan Carlson (oh yes) and I finally get to see the actor for real! In a picture! But so cool none the less! I was sooooo happy, I was trying hard to calm down. I then let my happiness spill over onto a few threads here in Odyssey, and then to... um.. Brittni, I believe. Yeah, so, totally excited here!

Page 105 (the beginning of the chapter): I like how they explained how they started with one name for Blackgaard, and then changed his first name. Blackgaard does mean scoundrel or villian, so that was awesome! Though, poor Edwin! But I guess he came along.. later....

Page 109 "Goof Alert!": I think everybody had all ready guessed something was wrong with this picture: Richard Maxwell, album 6, "An Encounter With Mrs. Hooper". Thank goodness they changed it! Or, well, it would have sounded like the poor guy didn't go to jail... (I pray Nathan Carlson is not reading this!)

I loved all the content in this chapter! AH! I loved it! Though, I seriously despise the album... because of certain content (love some episodes though!).... it was awesome to hear some of the behind scenes!!!!! LOVED IT!!!

Page 111 "BTS Eugene's Dilemma": OMW! Dude, how could you fit what they tried in the beginning into one episode? I mean, come on! FBI agents? And a demanding little thug? Man... makes Richard Maxwell sound better in "The Battle", even by Blackgaard's standards! Loved this tidbit though.... exciting to hear what was orginally written, and then like, almost totally changed!

Page 112 "Goof Alert!": I like how they pointed out that only once did Blackgaard and Maxwell hack into Applesauce. You wonder, did someone else try to? Wait, what about Connie? Or had that been too long of passing time? Okay, nevermind, scratch that. Hey, what if Novacom had all ready tried? Though... okay, scratch that theory to. HA! I'm no good at this!

I LOVED the content of this chapter.. the ABSOLUTE BEST! (Okay, that may only be because of Nathan Carlson's pic... but, hey, YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Other than that, I'm loving this GUIDE!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:47 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

Cash: 0.00
You both had some good ideas there. Now here is my spill:

On page 104, with the album illustration, I always believed that that was Richard Maxwell standing up on the hill, not Dr. Blackgaard. I think that makes more sense since we hear later that it was Richard who set Tom Riley's barn on fire and since Dr. Blackgaard was at the city council meeting for his business permit.

If there were one thing that I could change about the episodes order I think that I would put "An Encounter with Mrs. Hooper" before "The Imagination Station, I and II" because I find that The I.S. more interesting than an encounter. That way we are led from the compelling story of Digger Digwillow to A Bite of Applesauce. And then I would move "Our Best Vacation Ever" for after "The Battle, I and II".

I enjoy the picture of Whit on page 107 with the Imagination Station but it seems like the Bible room is really clausterphobic! Now that picture from Album 44 with Eugene coming out of the imagination station that is more open with more room.

I love the behind the scenes story about using Dave Arnold's voice for Jesus' role. My favorite part ". . . but to find the voice that spoke the universe into existence--that's tough" It reminds me of the song that Aslan sang from the chronicles of Narnia. I'm wondering how they got other people to play the role of Jesus in future episodes. I think that Dave's voice sounds perfectly fine even if it isn't the voice of the one who created everything into existence.

I asked Nathan Hoobler about the goof alert on page 112 about Applesauce being broken into on two separate occassions. I calculated that it was broken into on the occassion when Connie ran it in "A Bite of Applesauce" and then later when Dr. Blackgaard broke into it in "The Nemesis". I think that if any other nefarious party was going to break into Applesauce except Dr. Blackgaard or Richard Maxwell it would be the Whisperer (Accidental Dillema) he makes more sense to me than Novacom because Novacom doesn't really need Applesauce.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:01 pm 
Radio Station
Radio Station

Cash: 43.77
Bank: 0.00
Page 107: The Imagination Station looks unlike any other depiction I have ever seen so far.

Page 112: The picture of the Barclay family "waterfight" (which still vaguely reminds me of a food fight) shows three children and two adults. Who is that third child? Why are the four people ganging up on the other person?

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:38 am 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
I never noticed Regis Blackgaard standing on the hill in the cover art! Probably because... that part of the scene isn't pictured on the CD version. Whew, I thought I had missed something that was right under my nose!

I too thought the Q&A with Dave Arnold about playing Jesus was one of the highlights of this chapter. I'd heard the story before, but I loved reading his take on it... particularly the last few sentences. And I thought he did a great job! :D

Haha, I like the tale of the Imagination Station table!

And I never heard "An Encounter with Mrs. Hooper" until a year or two ago... and was most shocked at Richard Maxwell's role in it. By the way, it's nice seeing a non-blurry picture of Nathan Carlson.

Dick Beals played Davey in Davey and Goliath? Now I definitely need to dig out my old tapes of that show... especially since Hal Smith features prominently in it as well! :D

I liked the backstory about John Eldredge. I did wonder, when I saw him credited on the Soda Fountain, if it was the same John Eldredge as the famous author. Now I know.

Interesting original story for "Eugene's Dilemma." I much prefer what they ended up with, however. I'm glad they saved the really dramatic stuff of the storyline for after Blackgaard made his appearance.

I've seen that Barclay water fight picture many times before, but I didn't realize until reading the Guide that there were three children instead of two! Interesting...

I also find Earl Boen's take on coming up with the voice for Dr. Blackgaard interesting... especially since I can think of many instances where Regis certainly wasn't a quiet villain.

I would like to have a "Best Vacation Ever" sometime... I don't know if my family would go for it, but I will definitely put away some of those ideas for when I have my own family.

I'm curious what these additional bus scenes in "The Battle" consisted of...

Hmmm, I always assumed that the "on two separate occasions" referred to the incident in "A Bite of Applesauce."

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Your Right
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 pm 
I don’t know what I’m doing!

Right

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject: Re: 05: Daring Deeds, Sinister Schemes
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:35 pm 
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

I have had a revelation!

We all mentioned the "on two separate accounts" applesauce was hacked into. We could count Connie's incident along with Maxwell's, but I just thought of something. Actually, two things.

Maxwell had a way into Mabel's system. Okay... first time he hacked into Applesauce. Second he took down the IS. But... could that be the second time Whit was referring to? Who says Whit was specifically meaning Applesauce the program? Cause, the whole idea of Mabel and such was only touched on like... once after this. Disappeared apart from the computer room behind the bookcase. Whit could have been referring to that the whole account had been hacked into twice.

I also thought of maybe they went through applesauce to take down the IS... but now I see that probably wasn't it, considering the program.

(And the mystery of it all was... what was applesauce for in the end? What was it, how about that? See, I can't draw half conclusions from this story arc cause... I must be MISSING SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!) *cough*

I just kinda thought of that... random, but you know... anything could have happened, you're all right.

Offline Profile  

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:18 pm 
Radio Station
Radio Station

Cash: 43.77
Or the second time it was hacked can be brought into the limelight in Album 51! A series of flashbacks can "revive" Dr. Blackgaard for us or something. A "hidden history" comes into importance because of clues left in Richard Maxwell's supposed "suicide note." But he was really kidnapped and the [burned] body was never completely identified as Richard. But how would a suicide not survive an apartment fire? Hm...

Offline Profile  

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:12 pm 
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Okay, that's just cruel...

Offline Profile  

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:18 pm 
I love the Town Council!
Anger is one letter away from Danger, coincidence? I think not!

Cash: 25.34
Bank: 52.90
Blog: View Blog (1)
this album is great, i like the ones with apple sauce, very interesting and mysterious almost. the guide was well made and great as well

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:17 pm 
Former Mayor x1

Cash: 420.26
I noticed this before and neglected to mention it but, Regis shouldn't be in the illustration. He was at the council meeting. Pehaps that's why they don't show him on the album.

Offline Profile E-mail Facebook  

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:31 pm 
Springer from Odyssey
misses "Spam-Happy Spammonger!"

Brad Dillard wrote:
I noticed this before and neglected to mention it but, Regis shouldn't be in the illustration. He was at the council meeting. Pehaps that's why they don't show him on the album.

I noticed this too...It adds an awesome effect though!

Last edited by Irwin on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:34 pm 
Former Mayor x1

Cash: 420.26
I don't think the Regis drawing is up to standard. Looks like something Bruce Day would do. I perfer Gary.

Last edited by Bren on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile E-mail Facebook  

[ 13 posts ]