[ 11 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: 09: Just in Time
Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:06 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 4,900.47
Bank: 1,958.31
Use this thread to comment on the information regarding the ninth album of Adventures in Odyssey! \:D/ This section starts on page 139.

I found it interesting that the idea as Bernard as a storyteller was loosely based on “The Princess Bride.” (BTS: Bernard and Joseph, page 143.) As soon as I read it, I could see that how makes sense! After all, the grandfather and Bernard are both older guys who keep having their stories interrupted and deal with it in their own funny way. It isn’t a spoof or anything, but I can see the correlation, now that I read this. The many different sources of inspiration are interesting to read about.

It’s funny that Bob Hoose was involved with AIO as a voice actor (Simeon in “Bernard and Joseph,” based on “Sound Bites” on the right side of page 143) and then so many years later was a writer and a producer. People just can’t stay away from AIO, as the reference to Paul McCusker’s move to England under the “Sound Bites” section on the left side of page 143 confirms! :lol: He just couldn’t escape Philip Glossman forever, the poor guy.

Typo alert on page 145 – the first sentence of the third paragraph reads, “The ‘Sam Meritan’ sketch from ‘The Big Broadcast’ was also preformed live…” – Oops!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:41 pm 
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author
Bone Marrow Transplant Registered Nurse

Cash: 228.66
Blog: View Blog (13)
I love it how, when Glossman leaves in Not One of Us, they did it because Paul McCusker was going to England. What was funny is, they meant for Glossman never to come back. At least, that is what Paul thought.... he didn't get his wish not to play Glossman again... he did NUMEROUS times after! HA! I love that! Paul, you amaze me!!!!!!!!!

Other than that, loved the other inside stuff in the chapter. Not really much to comment on from me... had to mention the Glossman thing though... Loving the whole book. YEAH!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:36 am 
I'm finally not a No0b

Cash: 0.00
I feel like the more mistakes that get pointed out in this book the more I feel like I didn't do a good job proofreading! I just now caught that "preformed" thing too. Nathan Hoobler says that there are a lot of things that are going to have to be corrected for the next book but it's not like the "New Official Guide to Adventures in Odyssey" is going to be released every year with new stuff. I don't know when the next new guide will be coming out but I really hope that the next one will be better gramatically than this one.

I really like the information on page 145 about " Live at the 25! " I really need to listen to that episode again. I have it on CD somewhere, I just have to find it. " Live at the 25! " was an episode I actually bought through Focus on the Family before I became a volunteer here. It wasn't until later that I discovered it was on the Gold Audio series. I'm glad that they didn't put the "Sam Maritan" sketch on the final episode because that isn't exactly one of my favorites (but it does rank above the Mulligan family). I really like the " Young Guns Bonanza " sketch. Here is a question to pose: do you prefer the sketch with Wes Chester or Emma Darling? I would have to say Emma Darling because of how funny Chris Anthony is.

" BTS: Bernard and Joseph " I didn't actually watch the movie " The Princess Bride " all the way through until this past weekend and I can now see the similarities. However I think that if the grandfather could be contrasted with someone in Odyssey I would have to say the grandfather character fits more with Tom Riley than Bernard Walton. But Bernard is still a good story teller (even if he did give into the temptation of the Imagination Station in " Bernard and Jeremiah ").

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:01 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

I think that in a book this size, a few little errors are to be expected - nothing is ever completely perfect!

I like both the Wes and the Emma version - I don't think that I could pick one over the other!

I have to disagree a bit that Tom would fit better than Bernard as the grandfather figure from The Princess Bride - Bernard has that curmudgeon quality that I think the grandfather has too. Tom would make a wonderful grandfather in general, but I think that Bernard's annoyance at being interrupted and stuff like that fits a lot better for the Princess Bride connection.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:22 am 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
Like most of the Webster Development references, I didn't catch that Glossman would be leaving to work for that company! And... Glossman is a funny name if you think about it. Considering that when I think of the word "gloss," lip gloss usually comes to mind. \:D/

Sometimes I wonder how such egregious errors (like saying Lucy's last name is Schultz in "The Big Broadcast" after it had been Cunningham for so long) are made, with all the people working on and performing each episode... :-k

I like the pictures from "Live at the 25!" :D

A single Kids' Radio sketch being better than an entire family? :( And I prefer the Wes version of "Young Guns Bonanza" because I hate change. :x

;)

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:54 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Light Blue wrote:
Like most of the Webster Development references, I didn't catch that Glossman would be leaving to work for that company! And... Glossman is a funny name if you think about it. Considering that when I think of the word "gloss," lip gloss usually comes to mind. \:D/

His future career - lip gloss salesperson!

"Hi, I'm Philip Glossman, head of Gloss Girl Incorporated. May I interest you in a free sample of this fabulously shiny and yumilicious new lip gloss?"

"Your name is Glossman."

"That's right, ma'am."

"You sell lip gloss."

"Right again! How many cases would you like to order, and in what colours?"

"I've told you kids a million times to stop pranking me!" *click*

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:32 pm 
The Council is GREAT!
figuring everything out - YAY

Cash: 67.18
Bank: 578.00
WHOAH! Random thought on the name Glossman. Gloss is shiny and smooth and slick looking, right? It makes things look good and easier to sell.

it is according to dictionary.com
Quote:
a superficial luster or shine; glaze.
a false or deceptively good appearance.
to give a false or deceptively good appearance to.
To make attractive or acceptable by deception or superficial treatment

What did Glossman do his entire time on AIO? He was all of those definitions! He was a smooth talker who tried to "gloss over" everything and smooth it out so it would go his way. He was very slick and tried to deceive everyone by saying or doing things in just the right way.

Forgive me if I'm the only one who just caught this pun...heehee! Now that I see it, I LOVE IT! Brilliant work AIO team!

BTW - Catspaw, I love your little exchange there! heehee!

Edit - quote tags added - Catspaw

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:37 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Until Lizzie commented on the name, I hadn't really thought about Glossamn's name, but what you said fits perfectly, JF. :D Since I first heard his name when I was quite young, I never really thought about it, but it definitely makes sense! :D

And I'm glad you enjoyed the (hopefully temporary) insanity, JF. ;)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:37 pm 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
I'm glad I was able to inspire such cool thoughts with just two sentences! That Glossman, tricking us with his name and we never got it until now! \:D/

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:35 pm 
Radio Station
Radio Station

Cash: 43.77
Bank: 0.00
Page 138: In which episode are we told about Jimmy's red-earlobe trait? (For some reason this reminds me of the red-earlobed chickens laying brown eggs...)

Page 139: I really like the Barclay family! I think they are the best family in the show. The ultimate It's a Wonderful Life parody with the Barclays was the episode "It's a Pokenberry Christmas Parts 1 and 2." About that classic Rashomon, I have never heard of it. I wonder if the bad guys get caught.

Page 141: A picture of a script for an unreleased episode! All I have to do now is figure out why it was never released.

Page 142: Lucy Who?! Part One This is the beginning of the whole Cunningham-Shultz mini-saga! We should write a book about this.

Behind the Scenes: Better Late than Never For some reason, I always find the Twilife Zone episodes as really creepy. I don't think I like a single one of them! I also don't like too many Room of Consequence episodes. Perhaps it is something about seeing the future. And I thought I was a pessimist! The RoC and TZ episodes are bleaker than I prefer.

Page 143: BTS: Not One of Us I wonder if Walker Edmistun was imitating Henry Fonda in the episode "The Gifts of Madge and Guy" as Mr. Fishbine. Mr. Fishbine sounded a bit like Henry Fonda to me, but maybe I have not heard his voice enough.

Sound Bites In which episode do we learn about Dr. Blackgaard's ownership of the Webster Development Company? (Alternately known as W D Firm, I think)

Backwoods Jacobs My question is answered already! It just wasn't working in audio. Ah, well. Perhaps they can at least finish it for the true-blue fan base!

Page 145: The picture. I wonder if those tapes are still hanging up there!

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:19 pm 
Международный экспертный центр 8(800)20002-79

Cash: Locked
Bank: Locked
KODY 105 wrote:
Page 138: In which episode are we told about Jimmy's red-earlobe trait? (For some reason this reminds me of the red-earlobed chickens laying brown eggs...)

I think that'd be "Pokenberry Falls, RFD." Amy makes some comment about it.

KODY 105 wrote:
Behind the Scenes: Better Late than Never For some reason, I always find the Twilife Zone episodes as really creepy. I don't think I like a single one of them! I also don't like too many Room of Consequence episodes. Perhaps it is something about seeing the future. And I thought I was a pessimist! The RoC and TZ episodes are bleaker than I prefer.

Now that you mention it, I pretty much agree with you.

KODY 105 wrote:
Sound Bites In which episode do we learn about Dr. Blackgaard's ownership of the Webster Development Company? (Alternately known as W D Firm, I think)

Webster Development tries to buy the property in "Recollections" and later Blackgaard says that he tried to buy the property at the time, so we can only conclude that he was the one behind Webster Development. In "Waylaid in the Windy City" Blackgaard talks about opening up an electronics store in Odyssey. In the next album the Electric Palace opens up and Bart says its a chain being opened by Webster Development. In the "Darkness Before Dawn" saga, we learn that Bart is trying to get ownership of the store from Dr. Blackgaard.

An added tidbit, in "Not One of Us" if you listen to the television report about Glossman leaving the city council, you'll here that he's going to work for Webster Development.

[ 11 posts ]