12: At Home and Abroad

A place to review, discuss, analyze and appreciate the chapters within the new Official Guide in an organized manner.

12: At Home and Abroad

Postby Catspaw » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:11 pm

Use this thread to comment on the information regarding the twelfth album of Adventures in Odyssey! \:D/ This section starts on page 163.

Page 167 – “Goof Alert” – I think that this could be attributed to Connie instead of the writers, if you really want to. Come on, do you really think that Connie remembers every little thing that she’s told? ;) Just because Whit mentions a safe in her presence doesn’t mean that she’s going to be thinking about it a while later during the stress of a robbery. I forget stuff, so I’d like to give Connie the same benefit of the doubt. The writers just know Connie too well! O:) And that’s my explanation for why it doesn’t have to be a goof. My brother told me the same joke three times, with a few months to a year in between each time, and apparently after the second and third times I said that it sounded familiar but that I wasn’t sure why and that I couldn’t remember the punchline. Connie can get away with forgetting Whit mentioning a safe, can’t she? ;)

Page 167 – “Sound Bites” – I remember how excited I was when I realized that Nick from McGee and Me was on a couple of AIO episodes. Ah, the good old days.

Page 167 – “Sound Bites with Bob Luttrell” – since I don’t understand Morse Code, I missed the secret message! I agree with him that it isn’t the most creative message ever, but it’s still kind of cool! :D

Page 168 – “Sound Bites with Corey Burton” - I had no idea that Corey Burton’s first episode was as young Uncle Joe in “East Winds, Raining.” So much talent in one person! It never ceases to amaze me.

Page 168 – “Cut Scenes” – It’s sad to hear that there are funny “Room Mates” scenes that were lost forever, because that episode is already so funny that more funniness would be fabulous! Sadness.
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Cash on hand: 5,197.89
Bank: 1,958.31

Postby Peachey Keen » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:23 pm

I liked the trivia about The Cross of Cortes.I wish there were more "Indiana Jones" style episodes.
I love the ToO!
Peachey Keen

Cash on hand: 644.16

Postby amyinodyssey » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:41 pm

There were a lot of good comments that you had Catspaw. I guess that is a good point about remembering a safe at Whit's End. I don't know why but I pictured there being two safes at Whit's End. In the episode "The Painting" Jason says that he made room in the big safe for the painting. I thought that maybe there might be a large safe for large items and a smaller safe for money and pictures of Andy Griffith. But that is a good point about forgetting. Although I'm not exactly the greatest at telling jokes I've got some really good ones that seem to get really old for me but if I was to repeat them to my mother she would laugh as hard as she would if it was her first time listening. There are some times when all I have to say is one line of the joke and she will laugh out loud.

Now take a look at the picture on page 165: Isn't that just the funniest picture of Eugene you have ever seen. Focus on the Family has released a CD that has the episode "The Star, I and II" on it and it only has the picture of Eugene without the two other wise men. Also take a look at the camel's eyes. The camel is thinking, 'ooh this guy has obviously never riden a camel before". I think that this picture is my favorite picture ever done by Gary Locke.

I found another error that I missed. When I was proofreading this book a while back I was told to look out for the usage of the word "gang" because I think that they thought it was inappropriate. So don't look at the summary for "A Thanksgiving Carol".

Page 167 – “Sound Bites with Bob Luttrell” – since I don’t understand Morse Code, I missed the secret message! I agree with him that it isn’t the most creative message ever, but it’s still kind of cool!

I have to admit I don't know morse code either. But I'm glad that they told us what the message in the background is being played. And while we're talking about messages being played in the background: this week I have been hooked on albums 40 and 41. Do you remember the episode "It's All About Me"? Well if you listen you can hear in the KYDS radio studio the commercial from "Top This" about "Jumbo Fork". I think that that is the funniest commercial I have ever heard.

And here's a toast to Nathan Hoobler who permits me to rummage through the Odyssey script drawer (oh and Happy Birthday Nathan)! I have learned some interesting things reading scripts. Like I found it very interesting that Clara had red hair and hazel eyes just like Jenny. If I had known that it would have made the episode a lot more interesting. Bu tnow I am going to have to read through "Room Mates" (if I can remember) because I would love to learn more about those humerous scenes that were cut.

So that's my take on chapter 12. I know that it is a lot of rambling but as Bernard says in " For Better or For Worse" "When I start making fun of you I get on a roll".
I'm finally not a No0b
amyinodyssey

Cash on hand: 0.00

Postby Catspaw » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:52 pm

Amy, if you do read some of the funny scenes that were cut and they aren't listed as top secret, it would be wonderful if you could share some of it with us! \:D/
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Postby amyinodyssey » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:23 pm

I read the script yesterday. I can't seem to remember a lot of the jokes from it (shows how good my memory is). I think I should check with Nathan Hoobler or Paul McCusker if I can post that on here because I don't want to get in trouble. I don't think I would but maybe I can give you a little hint: one of the jokes has to do with Eugene's cereal.
I'm finally not a No0b
amyinodyssey

Cash on hand: 0.00

Postby Catspaw » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:47 pm

I wouldn't want to get you in trouble! Don't worry about it. Eugene didn't like Bernard's Sugar Frosty Puffs or whatever they were...I wonder what kind of dull cereal he would recommend instead?
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Postby LizzieG » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:09 pm

I don't have much to say for this chapter, as I already knew quite a few of the stories... my favorite parts would have to be Corey Burton's elaboration on playing young Uncle Joe, and the "Cut Scenes" of "Room Mates." Sad how those scenes were lost. :(

I'm glad they made "East Winds, Raining" an Uncle Joe story rather than a Kids' Radio special; whenever Pearl Harbor is mentioned in class - particularly if said lectures involve spies and/or surprise attacks - I think of this episode.

I liked the Andy Griffith reference in "Hold Up!"

As I listened to "The Forgotten Deed" so recently, it's interesting that such a long-lastingly large plot point as Whit's "not owning the land around Whit's End" started as a little goof in a little episode.

This was one of the albums that I never owned until the Gold Audio series, but I did borrow it several times. However, it never endeared itself to me quite as much as album 12 (now 13), and the other cassette albums I had.

I rather like the new picture from "The Star," of Eugene and the wise men. \:D/

...and I guess I did have more to say about this chapter than I thought. :anxious:
I love the \:D/ smiley
LizzieG

Honourary Canadian!

Cash on hand: 33.86
Bank: 660.73

Return to Reviewing The Official Guide