21: Wish You Were Here

A place to review, discuss, analyze and appreciate the chapters within the new Official Guide in an organized manner.

21: Wish You Were Here

Postby Catspaw » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Use this thread to comment on the information regarding the twenty-first album of Adventures in Odyssey! \:D/ This section starts on page 233.

Page 233 – I had never thought of the “Wish You Were Here” title in reference to Hal Smith before, but that makes a lot of sense, and lends a sober note to the title.

Also, I know that it’s way too late, but I think that Paul McCusker’s idea of the title “Six on the Richter Scale” is a clever one! Better late than never, right? ;)

Page 236 – Yes! My M*A*S*H theory was confirmed! \:D/ I love you, Nathan Hoobler! When my family first got season four of M*A*S*H on DVD and I read the booklet description of the season opening episode, I thought it sounded way too much like AIO to be a total coincidence. The description is more similar than the actual episode, but there are still definite similarities. I guess my theory wasn’t totally confirmed, since the way that the new character (B.J. Hunnicutt/Jack Allen) was introduced isn’t specifically referenced here in the Guide as being taken from M*A*S*H, but I think that it’s good enough for me to assume that I was totally right. \:D/ After a failed attempt to reconnect with the departing character, the new character shows up and they hang out…some of the details are different, but the premise is the same, except Jack knew Whit and B.J. didn’t know Trapper John. If I rewatched the episode I’m sure that more similarities would come to me.

Page 237 – “Behind the Scenes: It Happened at Four Corners” – I loved the “Last Chance Detectives” movies, so a crossover would have been fun! This could be considered misleading information instead of an error, but saying that there were “…12 ‘Last Chance’ crossover episodes with Jason Whittaker in 2004” is not very accurate. At the most, you could claim that Jason was in 4 crossover episodes, since the first LCD audio case, entitled “The Day Ambrosia Stood Still,” was put into four parts for radio airing and Jason is in that audio case. However, no AIO characters appear in the second or third audio cases, “Mystery of the Lost Voices” (my personal favourite of the three and a good place to hear a few AIO voice actors in other cool roles), and “The Last Flight of the Dragon Lady,” respectively.

The information about Hal Smith’s death and how hard it was to deal with, both for the people who knew him and figuring out the implications for AIO, was very nice. I’m almost tearing up reading all of it. I’m glad that a significant amount of space was dedicated to this, on top of the other references to Hal Smith scattered throughout the book.
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Cash on hand: 5,197.89
Bank: 1,958.31

Official KODY review

Postby KODY 105 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:54 pm

Page 236: I'm so glad the Odyssey crew decided to keep up the show!

Page 237: "The Trio of Swines" is a great story. I'm glad it was at least added before disappearing like other clips have.

Page 238: Katie Leigh was happy when the crew let others use the microphone used by Hal Smith before he died. I wonder who uses that microphone now?

Page 242: We all should be on the lookout for those talking dolls and rubber chickens!
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Radio Station
Radio Station
KODY 105

Cash on hand: 43.77
Bank: 0.00

Return to Reviewing The Official Guide