Misc. Comments

the cover, images, price sticker, etc.

A place to review, discuss, analyze and appreciate the chapters within the new Official Guide in an organized manner.

Misc. Comments

Postby King Butter Turtle » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:06 pm

On the back two of the quotes are written by characters and the other is written by an actor. Why would this be?

Sizewise (not thickness, weight or content), it's a lot smaller than I expected. The old guide is more text book sized, I think that's more convenient, but whatever.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
The Council is GREAT!
King Butter Turtle

Vote King Regis!

Cash on hand: 108.92

Postby Danielle Abigail Maxwell » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:20 pm

Yeah, I noticed the Character/ Actor thing. I'm going to say it was a typo. I also noticed a type in like.. the intro somewhere. There was an extra a that wasn't needed. I think that was all the typos I've found so far.... I'm not all the way done though. School started, so it's going EXTREMELY slow. I'm more than halfway though.

It's an interesting book. I'd want more detail for some things... or all of it! I love it though... I'm the ultimate AIO fan! At least around my family and friends. The Parishes and Brittni don't even top!
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author
Danielle Abigail Maxwell

Bone Marrow Transplant Registered Nurse

Cash on hand: 228.66
Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Catspaw » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Ooo, I hadn't thought of the cover! Good call, King Butter Turtle! \:D/

I hadn't really looked that closely at the back, but you're right that it seems odd to have one actor quote and two character quotes about the book. Maybe it's to add some humour by having Connie and Harlow comment, but to keep it sounding like they have legitimate people who like the book, they wanted a real person too? :-k

I think that the cover looks very nice - the red and yellow stands out without being too splashy.

Yes, this one is shorter than the old Guide, but I think that it makes it easier to fit onto bookshelves and even retailers' shelves. The old Guide is probably taller than some smaller bookshelves - this one is more of a standard height.

As for the price sticker, it's more than reasonable - who knew that $20 could buy this much happiness, not to mention content? \:D/ When I'm buying university textbooks in a few days I'm sure not going to get this kind of deal! The price is more than affordable for the average to above average fan and is within the gift range for people buying stuff for friends and family members who are fans.
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Cash on hand: 5,303.07
Bank: 1,958.31

Postby King Butter Turtle » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:35 am

Catspaw wrote:I hadn't really looked that closely at the back, but you're right that it seems odd to have one actor quote and two character quotes about the book. Maybe it's to add some humour by having Connie and Harlow comment, but to keep it sounding like they have legitimate people who like the book, they wanted a real person too? :-k

Ya, or maybe Whit didn't like the book like Connie and Harlow so they had to get Paul Herlinger to say something good about it.

Catspaw wrote:who knew that $20 could buy this much happiness

I got mine for 15! \:D/ I'm only on like page 40 or so and I already love it. It's very well put together and it's full of great content. I would have bought it for a hundred!!!

DAM wrote:I also noticed a type in like... the intro somewhere

A typo! How could anyone be so careless?!?!
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
The Council is GREAT!
King Butter Turtle

Vote King Regis!

Cash on hand: 108.92

Postby Catspaw » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:29 pm

King Butter Turtle wrote:Ya, or maybe Whit didn't like the book like Connie and Harlow so they had to get Paul Herlinger to say something good about it.

:lol: Yep, that must have been it! I think it's Whit's modesty - he feels uncomfortable with so many people reading about him!

King Butter Turtle wrote:I got mine for 15! \:D/ I'm only on like page 40 or so and I already love it. It's very well put together and it's full of great content. I would have bought it for a hundred!!!

Even better! \:D/ I was pleasantly surprised to only pay $20, so that was good enough for me. I would have paid any price to have my own copy, but I might not have picked up three copies as gifts at a significantly higher price.
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Postby JD » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:47 am

King Butter Turtle wrote:I got mine for 15! \:D/ I'm only on like page 40 or so and I already love it. It's very well put together and it's full of great content. I would have bought it for a hundred!!!

I got mine for $13.
Save Eugene in the character competition!
Cheese Wiz Rules
Cheese Wiz Rules
JD

Location: That white van right outside your house. Watching your every move. There's a camera behind you

Cash on hand: 0.00
Bank: 0.00

Postby darcie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:27 pm

I like the shadowed artwork within the red rays in the background of the cover. I was told by Josh Lewis (graphic designer) that this actually has all the album cover artwork in order wrapping from the top left of the front around to the bottom right of the back. Fun, huh?

And I like the size/shape of this version. I saw the older one, and I didn't like that it was tall and narrow. This seems more referencey shaped. And easier to fit on a bookshelf.
Interested in an offsite group for LBGTQ ToOers and friends to talk? Message me.

"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
darcietastical
darcietastical
darcie

Nothing to see here.

Cash on hand: 159.09

Postby American Eagle » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:34 pm

So this is a page for miscellaneous comments. I just wanted to say, the contest is ending in moments, less than that. I decided to enter, but I thought it was divided randomly, so you have a 50/50 chance of getting more than you entered. But now I see that it's winner take all. So I have a 1/15 chance of winning $225! We'll see, that's the fun of it, no?

< that was a totally random and miscellaneous comment. :smile:
"Eating three pieces of KFC chicken does NOT make you drunk, throw up, or in Moses' case defile himself."
—American Eagle, September 9, 2008.
Chief of Police
American Eagle

Cash on hand: 379.83
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Catspaw » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Darcie, I don't think I knew about the in order thing - I'll have to examine my cover more closely! \:D/ Thanks for sharing!

American Eagle, since this is a subforum specifically designed to discuss the new Official Guide to Adventures in Odyssey, the miscellaneous comments could primarily relate to that topic. Hillingdale Haven is a forum that is designed around randomness, so that might be a good place to check out. That said, I hope that you win the contest - winning is always fun. :D
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Postby American Eagle » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:17 pm

Oh okay. I'm obviously very new, so aren't I entitles to a mistake(s). LOL. Thanks, Catspaw, I'll try to keep my randomness to Hillingdale Haven. Thanks for understanding the newbie! God Bless, American Eagle
"Eating three pieces of KFC chicken does NOT make you drunk, throw up, or in Moses' case defile himself."
—American Eagle, September 9, 2008.
Chief of Police
American Eagle

Cash on hand: 379.83
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Peachey Keen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:36 pm

The list of Odyssey products is cool but did you notice that the Novacom Saga set was on the list and The Truth Chronicles was released in Sep. and the NS set is going to be released in May 2009.Why's this?
I love the ToO!
Peachey Keen

Cash on hand: 649.16

Postby Jonathan » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:43 pm

Peachey Keen wrote:The list of Odyssey products is cool but did you notice that the Novacom Saga set was on the list and The Truth Chronicles was released in Sep. and the NS set is going to be released in May 2009.Why's this?

If I understand correctly, you're asking why The Truth Chronicles, which comes out first, isn't on the list?

I think the answer is is b/c the AIO team isn't considering TTC to be a part of official AIO canon.

Which doesn't make sense to me as it has Whit and Connie and all those folks. I haven't listened yet (it came in the mail today and I'll be picking it up in about an hour), so I can't judge that yet, I guess.
Dungeon Master
Jonathan

Cash on hand: 62.66
Bank: 933.17

Postby connies#1fan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:43 pm

I think that you guys will really like this....

I was at the Live Recording!!! It was amazing!
The miscleaneous thing is that I got my copy of the guide autographed!!! It was so amazing! I got it signed by Chris Anthony, Katie Leigh, Will Ryan, Dave Madden, Jess Harnell, David Griffin, Sage Bolte, Aria Curzon, Donald Long, Genn Long, and Chuck Bolte.

I had so much fun talking to all of the actors and actresses! I really enjoyed talking to Jess Harnel. I had some dangeling earings on, and he said that they were the coolest earings that he had seen all day!!!!!

I thought that everyone would enjoy hearing about the signatures. I have some more stoies about the Live Show if anyone wants to hear more about it
"The Call" - Regina Spektor
You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye..
I'm finally not a No0b
connies#1fan

Cash on hand: 1.86
Bank: 5.00

Postby Catspaw » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:58 pm

Wow, I'm so glad that you got to go and get your book autographed! :D I did too, and it was very cool! It's very nice that you got a special compliment from Jess Harnell on your earrings. \:D/ A good place to share more about your memories and stories is in the thread in the main part of Whit's End entitled "AIO Live Show in Colorado Springs" - click here to link to the newest page! If you want you can read through what's already been said and add your own comments so people can see them there! :D We definitely want to hear your stories!
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Postby connies#1fan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:01 pm

Oh, sorry. I didn't notice that thread, and I haven't been on in a long time.
"The Call" - Regina Spektor
You'll come back
When it's over
No need to say good bye..
I'm finally not a No0b
connies#1fan

Cash on hand: 1.86
Bank: 5.00

Postby LizzieG » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:02 am

Disclaimer: The following was written during a time of great happiness and little sanity.

~*~

12/11/08
6 PM - MST

Cover:

I can't be angry at the new, caricature-based art when I look at the cover. Not that it ever angers me, but I did prefer (much of) the old art... particularly Bruce Day's Whit. But that's another story for another time. This is such a wonderful, happy book, and the mere sight of it makes me want to pull it close in a warm embrace... as indeed I did moments earlier, when I pulled it out of my backpack (even though I'm sitting on a plane surrounded by strangers). I love how Whit is holding the title. I love how happy Whit, Connie, and Eugene look. I love the colors, the album cover shots in the background, the thickness of the book... everything. I remember when I walked into the Focus bookstore and saw stacks and stacks of those books. It feels so right to start reading it now, with school out of sight and out of mind.. and while I'm flying through pure, sweet Colorado skies.

Back page:

- Interesting how, of the three quotes on the back, only one of them is from a real person: Paul Herlinger, Connie Kendall, and Harlow Doyle. I don't know if I noticed that before, but it's definitely a fun touch. Connie's line actually seems like something Katie would say... in jest, of course. ;)

- Aww, a picture of Eugene climbing out of the Imagination Station! But it's poor, memory-lost Eugene, not lovable, know-it-all Eugene. :(

- The mention of an 8-page color photo gallery makes me long for more. They must've had to sift through hundreds of photos in the choosing of which ones to go on those pages. Wouldn't it be so wonderful if they came out with a full-length book just with color photos? So amazing! Probably won't happen, but I can dream about it... just like I dream about having access (and ownership!) to all of the recordings of in-studio mirth and frivolity - a dream prompted by the clip of Hal and Will singing "If I Had the Wings of an Angel." At the very least, I would love to have the full-length version of them singing that song (are you reading this, Nathan? ;)).

General Thoughts:

I am so glad that the episode summaries have been done away with... though I do love many things about the Old Guide... the reminisces of Hal Smith, in particular.

~*~

*returns to "00: Introductory Material"* :-
I love the \:D/ smiley
LizzieG

Honourary Canadian!

Cash on hand: 33.86
Bank: 660.73

Postby Catspaw » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:21 am

LizzieG wrote:
Cover:

I can't be angry at the new, caricature-based art when I look at the cover. Not that it ever angers me, but I did prefer (much of) the old art... particularly Bruce Day's Whit. But that's another story for another time. This is such a wonderful, happy book, and the mere sight of it makes me want to pull it close in a warm embrace... as indeed I did moments earlier, when I pulled it out of my backpack (even though I'm sitting on a plane surrounded by strangers). I love how Whit is holding the title. I love how happy Whit, Connie, and Eugene look. I love the colors, the album cover shots in the background, the thickness of the book... everything. I remember when I walked into the Focus bookstore and saw stacks and stacks of those books. It feels so right to start reading it now, with school out of sight and out of mind.. and while I'm flying through pure, sweet Colorado skies.

In Colorado I also loved seeing stacks and stacks of those books! I picked one up and hugged it, and have definitely hugged my beautiful autographed copy more than once since then! :inlove: So either we're both crazy or neither of us is, Lizzie! :highfive:

I would also love more "in-studio mirth and frivolity," as you so eloquently put it! \:D/ Thanks for sharing your review, Lizzie. :D
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Catspaw

Postby amyinodyssey » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:35 pm

I know that it has been a while since I've posted in this forum. I was posting my comments on each chapter for a while there but soon got out of the habit. While I love reading I was treating the new official guide to Odyssey as a coffee table book. Recently I finished reading a guide to Quicken 2007 and decided that I needed something lighter so I decided to pick up where I left off and continue reading.

While I have read the book once through already for a project I'm glad that I got to read it again. The reason I wanted to read it again was because I didn't read it in order the first time but also because there are so many great charts and tables in this book that aren't exactly in the index and I wanted to write down where all these charts and table swere so I could refer to them in the future.

I think that one of the things that was bugging me while I was reading this book was the typographical errors that I found. When I was reading through this book before it was published I think that I was primarily looking at it for factual information about Odyssey and not so many typographical/gramatical errors. Now I wish that I had the chance to work on this book more. Of course I can't blame the guy who did the page layout of this book with spelling errors because there are over 500 pages so with the amount of errors there are I'm not going to be mad about that.

I think that I have mentioned this before but I really want to typeset the next complete guide. As a graphic designer it would be something that I would love to do.One thing that I remember from proofreading this book was asking if they were going to publish it in any color besides the color pictures in the back of the book. It is a nice wish but I wonder if it will ever happen with such a thick book.

I might come back and give my thoughts on other chapters but for now I think that I'm going to leave this forum alone for a while.
I'm finally not a No0b
amyinodyssey

Cash on hand: 0.00

Postby Gandalf » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:13 pm

I've enjoyed what I've seen so far of the book.

My only suggestion for next time would be to go back to the numerically sequential format (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc.) in regard to the way episodes appear as opposed to the album approach...
Why am I even here?
Gandalf

Cash on hand: 76.62

Re: Misc. Comments

Postby Leonard Meltsner » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:27 am

I absolutely loved this book, although with my having read each chapter after hearing each album, the shorter chapters were somtimes disappointing. I had noticed the albums in order around the back. Recently, I realized that I could type things in the "Lyrics" tab of an episode on iTunes, so I began to copy every episode's information from the Guide. I told Nathan Hoobler about this, and he says they may one day use it for selling Odyssey on iTunes. :)
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
The Council must persist
Leonard Meltsner

GO TEAM 1!!!

Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Cash on hand: 296.14
Bank: 1,300.00
Blog: View Blog (5)

Next

Return to Reviewing The Official Guide