[ 11 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: 53: Books (Original Novels, Passages, Kidsboro)
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:20 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Cash: 5,960.83
Bank: 1,958.31
Use this thread to comment on the information regarding the Original Novels of Adventures in Odyssey! \:D/ This section starts on page 511.

Page 512-513 – Novel Information – I have fond memories of the earlier original novels, and I remember more details as I read through the descriptions, like who really slashed the bike tires in “High Flyer with a Flat Tire.” I still have most of these novels on a bookshelf under the old covers, and have fond memories of them, especially the first three, which I probably read the most simply because they were the first ones. (I have to admit that I stopped collecting them towards the end because my parents gave some to my sister instead of me for Christmas and I was ticked off and claimed to no longer be interested. :anxious: I did later read them through the local library.)

I find it interesting that they moved “A Carnival of Secrets” out of it’s publishing order for the new 4-in-1 volumes. I guess it probably does fit in better there, though I think the epilogue is the beginning of “Connie Comes to Town” or something like that, so I don’t know if that works as well with still having volume three with four more books after that. I don’t remember the details of the books well enough to say if that mixes things up or makes a lot more sense. Since otherwise “A Carnival of Secrets” would be the only one with serious references to Patti or Mark in the third volume, I guess that makes sense.

Page 514 – “BTS: Lights Out at Camp What-A-Nut” – Wow, nice continuity there! Most people, myself included, probably never realized this.

Page 515 – “BTS: The Stranger’s Message” – Now I’m confused…maybe somebody can enlighten me. On page 511 it says, “Only one of the novels, A Carnival of Secrets, overlaps the time period of the Odyssey radio show.” On page 515, it says that The Stranger’s Message bridges the gap by retelling the opening of “Connie Comes to Town” which I had accredited to CoS earlier in this review section. Either my memory is faulty, or this is the result of the shuffle for the new 4-in-1 releases. TSM is the new last book, instead of CoS. Maybe they moved the epilogue so it will make more sense to new readers? I don’t have the last few books in the old covers or the rereleases so I can’t verify if this is what happened.

Page 515 – “Mysteries on Odyssey” – I have both of these books, and while they were clearly designated for a younger audience than me and had some elements that were reminiscent of actual episodes, I really enjoyed them! I always expected them to release more, and I recall a third title being briefly listed somewhere online, but nothing ever materialized.

Page 518 – “The Creation of Passages” – I am apparently not an astute reader. :( I am now happy to know that Marus is Sarum backwards, which is apparently the ancient name for England. I feel smarter than I did a minute ago! I have all the Passages books under the old covers, which are not pictured in the Guide, and found them really enjoyable! :D

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:36 pm 
Chief of Police

Cash: 415.03
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (1)
The book series. I've read most of the original series. There were some really good stories I liked, in fact most of them. They were easy to get into and want to be a part of, till the end. I liked hearing about the characters of AiO, but getting to make up my own views of how they looked, sounded, acted, and did the scene.

Passages was great also. They were very imaginative and thought provoking. I loved the stories and they had great characters. One of the best parts of them is when you realize what Bible story it is telling, as it hits you all of the sudden.

In my opinion, they were great books, all of them.

Offline Profile E-mail Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:39 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

I know what you mean about the Passages books - what Paul McCusker refers to as the "aha!" moment in the Guide is indeed wonderful! \:D/

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:58 pm 
I love the ToO!

Cash: 652.78
When the Mysteries in Odyssey came out,I ordered them and they're real good.Too bad the Mysteries in Odyssey books wern't on the list.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:50 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Well, there is one small paragraph about the Mysteries in Odyssey books on page 515. I guess since there were only two of them they didn't bother with a larger section.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:14 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

Cash: 0.00
The picture of Marshal Younger on page 521 is quite funny to me - obviously he's trying to overdo his "serious writer" pose. : j

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:14 pm 
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin

Oh, I thought he was just trying to prominently display his wedding ring and hide part of his face to cut down on the proposals from fans. :-k

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:11 pm 
mosenergetika.ru

Cash: Locked
Bank: Locked
It's says that the newer release of Glennall's Betrayal contains some content that was cut from the original version! Ahh! Now I have to buy it! :mad:

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:33 pm 
I love the ToO!

Cash: 652.78
I bought the old version already.Rats!

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:47 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 45.68
Bank: 8.85
I too have an old copy of Glennall's Betrayal. :mecry:

Goof Alert: The guide tells us a cool parallel, that the town of Door in Darien's Rise corresponds to the town of Nob in the Bible. I just read the chapter in which the characters travel to that town, and it's actually spelled "Dorr."

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:42 pm 
mosenergetika.ru

Cash: Locked
Bank: Locked
Taq wrote:
I too have an old copy of Glennall's Betrayal. :mecry:

Goof Alert: The guide tells us a cool parallel, that the town of Door in Darien's Rise corresponds to the town of Nob in the Bible. I just read the chapter in which the characters travel to that town, and it's actually spelled "Dorr."

I bought the new copy and there's not that much extra. :-s

[ 11 posts ]