Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Vote for your June Book of the Month!
Poll ended at Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:30 pm
Fahrenheit 451 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
The Great Train Robbery 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
When Heaven Weeps 48%  48%  [ 10 ]
Hinds Feet on High Places 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post Post subject: June Book of the Month
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:03 am 
I love the \:D/ smiley
Honourary Canadian!

Cash: 33.86
Bank: 660.73
When nominating a book, please include a couple sentences on why we should pick your book. Remember, it doesn't have to be a book you're currently reading; any book you have read and think everyone else should read too will do the trick. ;) We will choose what what we think are the best 3-5 cases, and, on Friday, put them up in a poll to make the final decision.

EDIT by Taq:

To those who made nominations, thank you very much! Lizzie and I had such a hard time narrowing the list and had to leave out some worthy books. We hope you'll try again next month. The poll will be open for 2 days. Thank you for voting! :)

EDIT by LizzieG:

Congratulations to JesusFreak777 for nominating the winning book! :D When Heaven Weeps by Ted Dekker is the June Book of the Month, and will count for double its pages in your reading log! Also, an important note: there will be no repeat authors accepted as Book of the Month candidates. Which means... this is Ted Dekker's only time in the sun. ;)

JesusFreak777 wrote:
When Heaven Weeps By Ted Dekker.

This book is one that significantly changed my life as a Christian. Not only is it a great read and very exciting but it tells a Bible story that few people know in a new way. One o he themes of the book - probably the one that hit me the hardest is fro the first half. That is: Christ demands believers to pick up our crosses and follow Him. Are you willing to do that literally?

This book begins in 1960's America, flashes back to WWII era Serbia and returns to 1960's America. It follows a young man who witnessed a horrible tragedy that challenged his life and his faith forever. Then he meets a woman trapped by a horrible man who wants to be freed. He takes it upon himself to rescue her and live his faith. Unfortunately it isn't that easy.

This book is well written and a great read. A little intense at times though but well worth the read and the faith challenges.

Even if this isn't chosen as a book of the month, I HIGHLY encourage you to read it. It's part of a series called the Martyr's Song Series. While it is book 2, it takes place first in time and there is no foreshadowing to ruin anything by reading it first - unlike the Circle trilogy or other books.

The Taylor University AIO Club's YouTube channel.

Last edited by LizzieG on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:37 am 
The Original EK
The Original EK

Cash: 28,902.77
Bank: 192.84
Blog: View Blog (5)
I'd like to nominate Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury as the first book of the month. This book, while it is rather dystopian and kind of hard to grasp at first, shows the great importance of literature in our society. I think this should be the book to kick off the book of the month because in this contest we are celebrating the joys of reading, and this book shows us the consequences of banning or ignoring books/reading.

Offline Profile Facebook  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:08 pm 
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
was eaten by a dinosaur.

Cash: 287.96
Bank: 1,599.64
Blog: View Blog (4)
I shall nominate Black by Ted Dekker.

Black is the first book to a series of four (the fourth coming out in September) surrounding the life of Thomas Hunter. In this book, Thomas hits his head, and then wakes up to find himself in another world. He is told there that he has to save earth from the Raison Strain. Thus, his journies between the worlds continue as he fights to find a way to remove the impending doom that will wipe out all of mankind.
But what is reality? What is illusion?

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
"Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy." -Sherlock

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:00 pm 
The Council is GREAT!
figuring everything out - YAY

Cash: 67.18
Bank: 578.00
When Heaven Weeps By Ted Dekker.

This book is one that significantly changed my life as a Christian. Not only is it a great read and very exciting but it tells a Bible story that few people know in a new way. One o he themes of the book - probably the one that hit me the hardest is fro the first half. That is: Christ demands believers to pick up our crosses and follow Him. Are you willing to do that literally?

This book begins in 1960's America, flashes back to WWII era Serbia and returns to 1960's America. It follows a young man who witnessed a horrible tragedy that challenged his life and his faith forever. Then he meets a woman trapped by a horrible man who wants to be freed. He takes it upon himself to rescue her and live his faith. Unfortunately it isn't that easy.

This book is well written and a great read. A little intense at times though but well worth the read and the faith challenges.

Even if this isn't chosen as a book of the month, I HIGHLY encourage you to read it. It's part of a series called the Martyr's Song Series. While it is book 2, it takes place first in time and there is no foreshadowing to ruin anything by reading it first - unlike the Circle trilogy or other books.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:56 pm 
Avian American
Avian American
#DontTouchLola

Cash: 87.20
Bank: 100.00
Blog: View Blog (7)
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

A perfect blend of action, adventure, love, and betrayal, this book carries something for all ages. From the traditional cosmetic operation that transforms your body and life at age 16, to the romance of a rebel wilderness boy living against the city for an unknown reason, this tale is worth the time to read. Twisted morals where "black and white are turned to gray" (Slow Fade, Casting Crowns) and good and evil can only be guessed at (until better informed, the characters are).

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:04 pm 
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author
Bone Marrow Transplant Registered Nurse

Cash: 228.66
Blog: View Blog (13)
I would like to nominate Danger in the Shadows by Dee Henderson.

There is few words to describe such intruige, amazing plot, twisting turns, and a past that haunts Sara Walsh. With her twin sister gone, and her brother the only thing left to protect her from the grips of a horrible, unjustifiable evil... a man set out to ruin her life... Sara can only turn to the God she trusts, her writing, and the newfound love of Adam Black.

An amazing read. You won't want to put it down till the end. :)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:17 pm 
The Council must persist
is going to the oo-nee-vers-ee-tay

Cash: 0.00
The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton

Despite the fact that a lot of the books on my personal reading list tend to be on the heavier side, I'm planning to nominate books that are pure escapism. After all, isn't that what summer reading is supposed to be about? Anyway, I'm nominating this book because it's fun, fast, and action-packed. Also, as a bonus, the author includes really interesting information about how people lived during the Victorian age. Since that's kind of educational (in a non-threatening way), maybe that will slow the loss of everything you learned during the last school year, if you are, in fact, still in school. (A small disclaimer: I'm not recommending this book to anyone under high school age, because of some iffy content, as well as the fact that it's about criminals. If you have discretion, you'll enjoy it.)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:10 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

My nomination:

"The Horse and His Boy" by C.S. Lewis, otherwise known as Jack. ( I don't blame him! With a name like Clive Staples who wouldn't want to be called Jack?)

But enough about the author.

This book is the 5th out of 7 books published by Lewis in his "Chronicles of Narnia" series. (Third if you order them chronologically) While it may not be the most popular one, it is my personal favorite. It breaks from the rest of the books, which follow the story of children from our world and their adventures in Narnia, and instead follows the story of one born and raised within the countries surrounding Lewis's made-up world.

Allegorically, The picture of God's guidance and love for us is beautifully done. I believe the theme of the book can be summed up in Romans 8:28: "All things work together for good to them that love the Lord, to them that are called according to His purpose."

In short you should pick this book because:
1)It belongs to the amazing Chronicles of Narnia series
2) It is able to appeal to a wide variety of age groups and interests (did I mention that there is both romance and adventure?)
3) It is a uniquely told tale of God's love and guidance

The end.

Did I hear someone say "loungie"?

Catalyst! Epic-ness! Or, just having fun with links in my siggy.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:42 pm 
Catspaw knows all

I nominate Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard for the June book of the month.
This book is similar to Pilgrim's Progress in the way it is written. It talks about Much Afraid's (the main character) spiritual journey here on earth. She goes through many trials and temptations in her journey, but in the end finds out that the Good Shepherd brought her through everything. Just as in real life, Much Afraid was ridiculed for following the Shepherd and was faced with tough circumstances. I have found many similarities between Much Afraid and myself. There is much food for the thought in this book and it caused me to think deeply about my own relationship with my Heavenly Father.
This is a book that should be read by Christians who desire a deeper relationship with God. I think it should be nominated because it is a Christian classic with a deep message hidden inside the well written story.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:48 pm 
Former Mayor

Cash: 55.12
Bank: 962.00
For some reason, I didn't see the deadline until today... I guess I'd better nominate a book before the time runs out. :mad:

I think everyone should read Blink by Ted Dekker. The story follows the life of an American graduate student named Seth who finds himself struck with the ability to see multiple potential futures. When he runs into Miriam, a Saudi Arabian princess running away from an arranged marriage, he decides to aid her - unaware of the ruthless pursuit that will soon ensue. One of Dekker's most compelling stories, Blink grapples with the issue of mankind's freewill co-existing with God's omniscience and sovereignty. A story of intrigue, mystery, and a hint of romance, this book will appeal to readers of all types of genres. I highly recommend Blink and would like to nominate it for the June book of the month.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:57 pm 
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Cash: 57.68
Bank: 0.00
I'm just wondering, but would it be against the rules to nominate the Bible? Or is it already Book of the Millennium?

"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:12 pm 
The Council is GREAT!

Re Blink - It's also re-released as Blink of an Eye just in case anyone gets confused. :)

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:26 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 45.68
Bank: 8.85
DanP740 wrote:
I'm just wondering, but would it be against the rules to nominate the Bible? Or is it already Book of the Millennium?

It's not against the rules, but we probably wouldn't choose it for the poll since a majority of us are already reading it. O:)

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:44 pm 
I'm finally not a No0b

JesusFreak777 wrote:
Re Blink - It's also re-released as Blink of an Eye just in case anyone gets confused. :)

I know this is :offtopic: but...

I've been wondering why this is. Does anybody know? Personally I think Blink is a much better title than Blink of an Eye. (to prevent things from getting more off topic here, if anyone knows... pm me or start a new thread?)

Did I hear someone say "loungie"?

Catalyst! Epic-ness! Or, just having fun with links in my siggy.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:56 pm 
The Council must persist

Cash: 2.26
Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold by C.S. Lewis is one of the finest works I have read by Lewis, or any other author. The same delightful and well-styled prose that produced Chronicles of Narnia has been applied to produce a more mature, but equally gripping literary work. Lewis retells the mythological tale of Cupid and Psyche from the point of view of Psyche's ugly, possessive older sister. Obviously this is a large step away from the Chronicles, but the result is magnificent.

I had never heard of Till We Have Faces until last year, when a friend told me it was his favorite C.S. Lewis novel. I can see why. This book brought back the feeling I had when I was a boy reading Narnia under the covers with a flashlight. Lewis manages to cause the style, the emotions, and the magnificent world that accompanied Narnia to leap out of the pages here too, but in a different, darker, and more thought-provoking way. I urge you to read Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold this summer. It's C.S. Lewis at his best.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:14 pm 
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
was eaten by a dinosaur.

redcanadian87 wrote:
JesusFreak777 wrote:

I've been wondering why this is. Does anybody know? Personally I think Blink is a much better title than Blink of an Eye. (to prevent things from getting more off topic here, if anyone knows... pm me or start a new thread?)

Dekker rewrote Blink somewhat... Added some extra things he wanted in it, fleshed out the underlying theme a bit more (Seth and Marion), etc. Nothing major.

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:20 pm 
The Council is GREAT!

Termite wrote:
redcanadian87 wrote:
JesusFreak777 wrote:

Dekker rewrote Blink somewhat... Added some extra things he wanted in it, fleshed out the underlying theme a bit more (Seth and Marion), etc. Nothing major.
Is it worth rereading under the new title? I have Blink and have read it several times but not Blink of an Eye...

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:30 pm 
Night is Falling
Night is Falling
iTroll

Cash: 142.88
Bank: 0.00
Blog: View Blog (2)
I nominate Ted Dekker's Sinner.

In today's world, where tolerance is being emphasized more and more, and religious expression is being given less and less importance, it's amazing to find a book written specifically about such things. It's equally as amazing when you realize that Dekker began writing the book before Obama even took office. Let us read it and fear for free speech.. read it and learn just what the world may become like if our freedom is slowly taken away in the name of tolerance.

In the year of 2034, all religious expression is frowned upon. The world has become a ticking time bomb, just waiting to explode, as all religious freedom is just about done away with in the name of 'tolerance.' Then come Darcy and Billy, two extraordinary people with supernatural powers- powers that can either be used for good, or evil. Last, but certainly not least, is Johnny, the only one who has things nearly figured out. Together, the three can do great things. Apart, they can destroy our world.

This novel really requires you to think deeply about our freedoms, faith, and just what might happen if new laws are passed requiring tolerance towards all religions.

EDIT: Crud, I got it in just a minute too late :p. Oh well, next time :).

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:33 pm 
I post like Shadowpaw

Cash: 45.68
Bank: 8.85
Hey everyone, the poll is up and will run for two days until June 14 @ 12:30 AM Eastern Time. Happy voting! \:D/

Iron and Light: So sorry that we missed your nomination! In the future, nominations will close at 11:59 PM Eastern Time.

Offline Profile  

Post Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:28 pm 
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance
was eaten by a dinosaur.

JesusFreak777 wrote:
Termite wrote:
redcanadian87 wrote:
JesusFreak777 wrote:

Is it worth rereading under the new title? I have Blink and have read it several times but not Blink of an Eye...

*shrugs* I haven't read Blink. :- I've been meaning to get it out of the library. I got all the info out of an interview in the back of Blink of an Eye.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next